Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4484499 - 07/29/19 11:05 PM ‘Star Trek: The Motion Picture’ Returning To Big Screen For 2-Day Anniversary Screenings  
Patrocles Offline
Hotshot
Patrocles  Offline
Hotshot

Chicagoland
I was looking for some info on the new Picard show and came across this article. I have seen most or all of STTMP on the tele, but never I have never seen the film in one viewing and certainly not in a theater. I hear mixed reviews and comments from the masses about STTMP, but I will check it out since it will be playing on the big screen.

‘Star Trek: The Motion Picture’ Returning To Big Screen For 2-Day Anniversary Screenings

https://trekmovie.com/2019/07/29/st...screen-for-2-day-anniversary-screenings/

This morning Paramount and Fathom Events announced they are bringing Star Trek: The Motion Picture back to the big screen to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the first film in the Trek film franchise.

“Experience the Adventure” in movie theaters nationwide on September 15 and 18

The first Star Trek movie premiere in December 1979 with Star Trek: The Motion Picture, directed by Robert Wise. In celebration of the 40th anniversary, the theatrical version of the film will return to movie theaters for two days only, on September 15 and 18. This will be the first nationwide cinema release for the film since it premiered.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture was the fourth highest-grossing film of 1979 and earned three Academy Award nominations, including Best Visual Effects, Best Art Direction, and Best Music, Original Score. It featured the cast of Star Trek: The Original Series returning, starring William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, George Takei, NichelleNichols, Walter Koenig, and James Doohan.

The 40th-anniversary screenings will be preceded with a behind-the-scenes documentary short titled The Longest Trek: Writing the Motion Picture.

“Star Trek—The Motion Picture is a visual marvel and a film that even many ardent ‘Star Trek’ fans have never had an opportunity to see on a big screen. Fathom Events is honored to celebrate this cinematic classic’s 40th anniversary with this special theatrical presentation,” said Tom Lucas, Fathom Events Vice President of Studio Relations in a statement.

Tickets to Star Trek: The Motion Picture are available beginning Friday, August 2, at www.FathomEvents.com or participating theater box offices.

Animal Mother > Rambo+ChuckNorris
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4484502 - 07/29/19 11:23 PM Re: ‘Star Trek: The Motion Picture’ Returning To Big Screen For 2-Day Anniversary Screenings [Re: Patrocles]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
I liked this movie and saw it many times when I was a kid. The film is legitimate hard science fiction, not the softer actiony sci-fi that the later films were.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 07/29/19 11:23 PM.
#4484507 - 07/29/19 11:51 PM Re: ‘Star Trek: The Motion Picture’ Returning To Big Screen For 2-Day Anniversary Screenings [Re: Patrocles]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
Plus it had one of the greatest pieces of cinematography and scoring of all time.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4484511 - 07/30/19 01:59 AM Re: ‘Star Trek: The Motion Picture’ Returning To Big Screen For 2-Day Anniversary Screenings [Re: Patrocles]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Story-wise it wasn't as much fun as "The Wrath of Khan." You could see that they were having a ball with what they could do with special effects compared to their tiny ABC television budget, so it's a real effects fest! I remember being so impressed with seeing the Enterprise in all it's glory, the first time she came on screen in that "dry dock" scene.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#4484512 - 07/30/19 02:04 AM Re: ‘Star Trek: The Motion Picture’ Returning To Big Screen For 2-Day Anniversary Screenings [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
I liked this movie and saw it many times when I was a kid. The film is legitimate hard science fiction, not the softer actiony sci-fi that the later films were.

Hmmm I wouldn't call it "hard" science fiction.

"You'll never take me alive" said he,
And his ghost may be heard if you pass by that billabong
"Who'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me?"

#4484513 - 07/30/19 03:02 AM Re: ‘Star Trek: The Motion Picture’ Returning To Big Screen For 2-Day Anniversary Screenings [Re: Patrocles]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Saw it at the theater when it released and it was HUGE! First time Trek on the big screen, serious movie-level priduction quality...it was major. Klingons looked awesome, the ship seemed huge for the first time, the story was complex and epic for the time. Never expected to see Star Trek other than reruns, so it was a real event. The first time I knew of a tv show getting a serious Hollywood movie treatment. No one that wasn’t there at the time would be likely to see it the same way, unfortunately.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4484515 - 07/30/19 03:52 AM Re: ‘Star Trek: The Motion Picture’ Returning To Big Screen For 2-Day Anniversary Screenings [Re: Patrocles]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

Might just hit that for the sake of nostalgia, but not for the experience itself. It'll look like seeing 1977 Star Wars again - it'll look like cheese...

#4484516 - 07/30/19 03:54 AM Re: ‘Star Trek: The Motion Picture’ Returning To Big Screen For 2-Day Anniversary Screenings [Re: Patrocles]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Thanks for the info!

The effects were good, but to me, the story was basically a rehash of "The Changeling," so I wasn't excited about that. It also had a lot of just staring at screens, which I thought made it kind of slow.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4484524 - 07/30/19 10:37 AM Re: ‘Star Trek: The Motion Picture’ Returning To Big Screen For 2-Day Anniversary Screenings [Re: Mad Max]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Mad Max

Hmmm I wouldn't call it "hard" science fiction.

I think I can see why you would say that. There was no technological explanation given for how exactly Voyager turned into a sentient lifeform beyond the statement that it had accumulated so much data from its programmed mission that somehow that made it "self aware".

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4484525 - 07/30/19 10:40 AM Re: ‘Star Trek: The Motion Picture’ Returning To Big Screen For 2-Day Anniversary Screenings [Re: Arthonon]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Arthonon
It also had a lot of just staring at screens, which I thought made it kind of slow.

For any sci-fi fan, it was almost immediately apparent the huge influence 2001: A Space Odyssey had on ST: TMP. Everything from Spock's "space walk" through the VGer cloud to the very slow and methodical shot of Spock's shuttle docking with the Enterprise were directly inspired by 2001.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4484526 - 07/30/19 10:41 AM Re: ‘Star Trek: The Motion Picture’ Returning To Big Screen For 2-Day Anniversary Screenings [Re: NH2112]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by NH2112
Plus it had one of the greatest pieces of cinematography and scoring of all time.

I have the ST:TMP soundtrack on CD and I listen to it pretty often! Jerry Goldsmith was an incredible talent.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.