Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4483760 - 07/22/19 08:36 PM Re: Trailer for you know what! [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
RossUK Online cowboy
RossUK  Online Cowboy

Eastbourne, UK
Originally Posted by Raw Kryptonite
Could it not be because it's a high g maneuver and he's being compressed and pushed down into the seat? It's not like those are auto retracting straps like in a car.

Rk gets it.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4483766 - 07/22/19 10:06 PM Re: Trailer for you know what! [Re: archermav]  
Chaz Offline
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Chaz  Offline
For Whom the Bell Tolls

Fact is his shoulder straps are noticeably loose. How, why, who..... the straps were ALREADY slipping down his shoulders before he rolled inverted and went into a high G dive.

I'd hate to be sustaining inverted flight and slowly slipping out of the harness. (2:21 in the video below)

Skip to 2:00 for proper shoulder strap usage. And these guys don't wear G-suits.

#4483792 - 07/23/19 02:37 AM Re: Trailer for you know what! [Re: archermav]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
Its an awesome shot of that maneuver. It looks great and its in the can. Tom made it home in one piece and can't wait to see the movie! I'll be interested in hopefully seeing more interviews with Cruise explaining the process as the movie nears release. I hope they show Top Gun in the theaters prior to release as I never got to see it on the big screen. That would be a thrill for me.

Last edited by Coot; 07/23/19 05:23 AM.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4483850 - 07/23/19 06:07 PM Re: Trailer for you know what! [Re: archermav]  
reconmercs Offline
reconmercs  Offline

an island
For those asking about the harness, its addressed here by a former Hornet driver:

[img]https://www.instagram.com/p/B0MWmmVBTMh/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link[/img]

Last edited by reconmercs; 07/23/19 06:10 PM.
#4483856 - 07/23/19 06:30 PM Re: Trailer for you know what! [Re: archermav]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

and settled.

#4483878 - 07/23/19 10:16 PM Re: Trailer for you know what! [Re: archermav]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Blade_RJ  Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Hotshot

brasil
So you guys heard of the jacket conspiracy ? it seems tencent changed the japan and taiwan patch.

#4484518 - 07/30/19 04:17 AM Re: Trailer for you know what! [Re: archermav]  
Chaz Offline
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Chaz  Offline
For Whom the Bell Tolls

#4485537 - 08/08/19 06:30 PM Re: Trailer for you know what! [Re: archermav]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
I love "Top Gun." Not because of the obvious Hollywood blockbuster symbolism, but for so much more that was intended beneath that that few ever realized or appreciated.

Were there errors, inaccuracies, cheese, and bad lines or acting in Top Gun? Sure. But what I liked about Top Gun was that it was one of the most accurate (relatively speaking) depictions of Naval aviator culture in a movie. Not the Air Force's, not any one else's airmen, but the US Navy. The priceless bond between the pilots and their RIOs, as well as between the pilots themselves was served well in the movie. The teamwork that had to go on between the pilot and RIO...I love how both Mav and Goose are doing the Linda Blair to tally the bandit, or Goose is while Mav struggles to gain that advantageous position in the knife fight. I love the carrier ops, even if it was only touched upon. I especially love how Goose can say "Roger I got them contact 20 left at 30 miles, 900 knots closure" without some added line to explain to the laymen what he means. It's just "This is what he says, "Tough if you don't know understand it." This just adds to reality in my view.

Of course there was the footage. Real footage, no blue screen, no cinematic effects, and just a minimum of modeling. But there was footage that was actually filmed and never filmed at that angle before, and pretty much all the footage was used to the point that it was even re-used in the movie because there was no other extra footage yet. The first time a sequel was mentioned, the studio said they could just use unused footage to make the next one. They were told, sorry, nothing was left, everything was used. Everything.

I especially like how the F-14 was focused on. It wasn't the F-15, F-16, or any other USAF or even USN airplane. It was the F-14, the US Navy's then-big stick. And they weren't discreet about it either. The words "F-14" and "Tomcat" were uttered many times in the movie, if not to establish exactly what the true star of the movie was, but what the mighty plane was that you couldn't get anywhere else unless you were navy or Iranian. Which really bugged me when people who saw the movie kept thinking it was the Air Force because of the fighter jets. Despite the mention of the US Navy over and over, despite the words NAVY emblazoned on the fuselage, or the boats that were in the movie itself. But it was made up for when a few people's eyes were opened to naval aviation and realized that another branch does actually fly a sierra hotel aircraft--exclusively even.

Then there is the legacy it left. The immortalized lines from the movie. The characters and plot. The music and score. The famous volleyball scene. How many times in over 30 years have you see these lines quoted in OTHER movies, or scenes made reference to, or even your friend uttering a catchphrase from the movie just because it popped in their head? This movie had a profound effect on everyone it seemed, even if they never saw it or were a fan. It just permeated our culture, ourselves, and future generations.

It is because of these elements and more that I scoffed at the first mentions of a sequel. Especially as the years went on. I was terrified that whoever made the next one would miss that it was the mood, the feel, the magic of the original that really made it more than just a cheesy "Iron Eagle" and would produce a cash-grab version of the movie without these important ingredients. I cautiously allowed myself to be a little more optimistic as Tom Cruise started to release some of the details and after seeing some of the promo shots and leaked photos. Could someone have understood that the film needed less of the tangible aspects of the movie and more of the original "metaphysical" facets of it instead?

The trailer addressed most of those concerns. Maybe not all of them based on what little footage we were given, but enough to swing me around to be, well, onboard. Even the footage seemed to take the original "Top Gun" footage standard and raise the bar on it. I really hope they don't drop the ball on this because so far it looks as if they have managed to capture all of those discreet elements I mentioned before and make a worthy sequel. For the first time I am looking forward to this film with a minimum of anxiety, and am now glad they delayed its release until next year, hopefully to make sure everything is just right. I just hope they don't overdo it, or scamper to throw in everything thinking it is important to make it count while they can (ie, let's make it the movie version of a sitcom's series finale where we have to throw in every character from season past!). I just hope they don't make it unnecessarily cheesy like "Stealth" or to some extent "Behind Enemy Lines."

Let's just hope they stay true to the original vision and its formula and can successfully transmute it into another legacy that can last well into the 21st century and beyond.

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#4485546 - 08/08/19 07:02 PM Re: Trailer for you know what! [Re: archermav]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Great post Bones. There is absolutely no doubt that "Top Gun" is an icon of American pop culture regardless of how much 80's cheese it may have. smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4485560 - 08/08/19 09:06 PM Re: Trailer for you know what! [Re: archermav]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
Originally Posted by Blade_RJ
So you guys heard of the jacket conspiracy ? it seems tencent changed the japan and taiwan patch.

I was really annoyed by that and it one of the bad marks against the sequel for me: that politics had to creep its involvement in in this way. I pretty much noticed the jacket change right away, then I found out why. All I can say is, OK, I can understand why someone would want it changed because one of the big stakeholders is Chinese and don't like Taiwan much at all. But the patch was not there or even in the original with any malintent. It is a historical patch for an actual US Navy cruise that occurred. That's like telling the makers of "Glory" that they can't have the Confederate flag in the movie because it represents a nation that broke away from the parent nation that didn't like it.

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#4485600 - 08/09/19 10:30 AM Re: Trailer for you know what! [Re: bones]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by bones
I can understand why someone would want it changed because one of the big stakeholders is Chinese and don't like Taiwan much at all.
v6,
boNes

I follow the Hollywood movie business pretty closely on a daily basis and most people would be really shocked at how much coddling and appeasement of China Hollywood has been doing for several years now.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 08/09/19 10:30 AM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.