Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 593 of 608 1 2 591 592 593 594 595 607 608
#4482403 - 07/11/19 02:32 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop:

Now this erratic storm seems to be zeroing in on Louisiana. If that continues you would liely be off the hook and who knows if it mighyt get here?

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4482581 - 07/12/19 09:42 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Yes, Sir. We were mostly right about the track and as of right now, have lucked out. Barry is heading a bit east.

I am feeling anxious about New Orleans and Louisiana.
Twenty inches of rain is a lot for low lying areas. I hope all the folks make it all right.
But there's really no good place for all that rain to fall.
I think the whole Gulf Coast shore line has been hit at one time or another in my lifetime.
Do hope you stay out of it too. I think it will go west of you, and hopefully at a weakened state by then.

#4482671 - 07/13/19 04:45 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop:

Yup. I'm glad you're safe. We're glad it missed Florida too. It looks as if we will also luck out this time. I say that knowing there are 4 more months of hurricane season to go before we can all breathe easy.

Hot here, with highs in the 90's and lows barely getting out of the 80's F. Storms on most nights with rolling thunder and accompanying fireworks. I can remember that just a few years ago having a long string of 90° F./32° C. was a news worthy event in July. Now it is a daily occurance and less likely to be mentioned on weather forecasts I get here.

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4482893 - 07/15/19 02:14 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Hopefully everyone had a good weekend. New Orleans seems to have missed the worst.
The remainder of the system seems to be going further west than I thought. That means St Louis may be getting a bit more rain than planned.

Though it's been a while since I can claim NY City as home, I am proud of the way the city handled itself this weekend during a blackout.
My lady's son and his wife were up there singing at Carnegie Hall (though not scheduled for the last performance) so I took a special interest.
Love the way everyone pitched in and helped each other.
Performers of shows did their shows outside so patrons could get some benefit from their tickets.
Others helped control traffic and the city life continued where able.

That effort is not something one expects and makes a man proud to be an American.
It was a needed gesture in today's world.

#4482912 - 07/15/19 04:56 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop:

Right or wrong, New Yorker's are not highly noted for their concern for their fellow man. Many,indeed, did themselves proud this past weekend. The worst situations bring out either the best or worst in all of us. Speaking for one former New Yorker of , my acquaintance; you must be rightfully proud of your singing family members. They are amongst the elite who can claim the distinction of singing in that venue.

Thankfully, Louisiana was lucky this time, as were we. If they have suffered the constant heat wave we have the midwest probably needed rain for the crops grown there. Probably not welcome would be the veritable Biblical deluge forecast for some places along Barry's path.

The temp here is already in the low 90's F. , headed for 97°F. / 36.1 C. today. HOT!

WEATHER ADVISORY: Anyone on a beautiful NC beach should roll over now or risk being over cooked. 🌭🔥 🌡️

#4482927 - 07/15/19 06:04 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

I meant to add this to the above post:

The 50th anniversary of the moon landing has provided much to watch on TV and the internet. There is an excellent series on the PBS video website entitled "Chasing the Moon".

I had watched the Apollo 11 astronauts live on that historic day in 1969 when Neil Armstrong spoke those famous words. It was good to watch that again and more so to be reminded of what it took for "US", meaning mankind, to get there and back. Gosh. Was it that long ago? I wrote my senior theme on the first Seven Astronauts.

I've even touched a real moon rock. Surely by now you have too? That was a thrill enjoyed on a visit to the NC Life and Science Museum with my young son. No thrill perhaps, to those who may touch something from another world today. So many have now become blaśe about space exploration over these 50 years.

More down to earth, I watched the "Deadwood" movie on Amazon Prime. Finally, a finish to the cancelled Netflix series that left so much hanging in the air. I paid $2.99 for the privilege rather than start an HBO subscription that is also offered and much easier to find.

#4482946 - 07/15/19 08:39 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
I nearly missed seeing the live TV footage of the 'one small step' - IIRC it was about 2 am local time and I dozed off in front of the TV during the BBC's special programme. But my dad came down from bed to see how I was getting on, and woke me up just in time!

Was inspired to build a lot of the kits, back in the day. I had the Monogram 1/144 Saturn V, a Revel 1/32 LEM, the Airfix 1/72 LEM, a Revel CSM+LM combo, a revel 1/32 Gemini, and the Airfix 1/144 Soyuz. Also an n/k scale Revel Mercury Atlas complete with the launch pad. Of course, my Action Man (UK GI Joe) also had the spacesuit set, thought it was disappointing it looked more like the earlier, silver astronaut suit, not the white outfits with the huge 'backpacks' used for the Moon landings.

Never touched a moon rock I think, but it was an unforgettable experience to look up and see a real Saturn V hanging from the ceiling as it were, at Cape Canaveral when I was in Florida.

Back on planet earth, I'm just back from a short break in Enniskillen, which included a trip up to Castle Archdale, which was an RAF flying boat base in WW2...

[Linked Image]

...operating Sunderlands and Catalinas from Lake Erne. The 209 Sqn 'Cat' which re-located Bismarck operated from there. This pic is taken from the slipway with the Sunderland on it, below the top left corner in the painting above.

[Linked Image]

There's a small museum across the courtyard from where the now-demolished 'big house' stood. Amongst the many pictures, models and artifacts is a Sunderland fuel tank...

[Linked Image]

...some instruments including an astro compass...

[Linked Image]

...and this is a prop hub from Sunderland DW110 which, as the placard says, crashed nearby in County Donegal in January 1944. Seven out of the twelve on board were killed...

[Linked Image]

Worth paying one's respects, if ever in the area.

Attached Files DSC_0512s.jpgDSC_0519s.jpgDSC_0522s.jpgDSC_0523s.jpgDSC_0526s.jpg
Last edited by 33lima; 07/15/19 08:52 PM.

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4483020 - 07/16/19 06:38 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

33lima:
As I recall it now, the big moment was in the early evening here. My buddy and I had been chatting up girls and swimming at a nearby lake and rushed home in time to watch the landing with his family.

I built many flying rockets. Most were Estes kits but one or two were scratch built. I built my first rocket in 8th grade shop class. Encouraged, I built a better one in 9th grade for which I received an "A" grade in science class. The best rockets with highest apogees were a three stage model and a two stage one in which I sent an egg up and retrieved it unbroken via parachute. One Estes kit I built had a camera in the nose cone. Great aerial pics of the multi acre tobacco field and surroundings I launched it from. All my rockets were solid fuel type.

Speaking of great pics, yours are well taken and interesting. Especially the astro compass. For those (if any) who are not familiar with this instrument; an astro compass is a navigational tool for determining the direction of true north through the positions of various astronomical bodies. There are certain circumstances when magnetic compasses and gyrocompasses are unreliable.

Thanks for posting.

#4483510 - 07/20/19 06:43 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

I do believe that I remember the Moon landing and watching fuzzy black and white pictures of shapes and shadows on that TV image, that my mind was not yet able to process.

What I do know is that the movie Hidden Figures, based on a book by Margot Lee Shetterly about some remarkable women calculating launch and landing trajectories, and helping programming and running the newest mainframes at NASA is on the telly here tomorrow. A colleague of mine talked about this movie and I'm intending to watch the move and read the book, to learn more about this.

My own adventures have been slightly less historic but I blew up the chain on my bike today. No, I did not exert an unusual or super human pressure on the pedals but I guess it was just worn down. Had to walk a couple of miles to get back home.

Sunday is expected to be showery, Monday less so, and then we are being promised sunny and increasingly hot days from Tuesday and up to the weekend at least.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4483516 - 07/20/19 07:15 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Greetings Chaps...

We are still working up the band with a first gig deadline on September 1st and a drummer coming along to the garage this next Wednesday.

My brother now has 48 guitars stashed in his spare bedroom and we are expecting the floor to give way any day now...

Ironic that nearly 60 years after we started, we now have some top class gear at our disposal and the services of a pro recording engineer...alas, all too late I fear.

I can see JRT in my mirror and firmly fixed on my six, about to overtake! wave

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#4483537 - 07/20/19 08:53 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Another full week of 90+ temps and no let up for the weekend. The dangerous heat has caused Excessive Heat warnings all along the eastern seaboard. Last night we never got out of the 80's F.

MG:

I remember at the time we thought the whole world was watching. You were probably too young at the time to notice. Is that movie a Danish movie? If so, does it have English subtitles? I'd like to watch it. I will look for it on Amazon shortly.

Sorry you burnt out your chain. Does that make you a "chain smoker". 🚭 smile

Cresting the hill, I notice a vehicle ahead speeding along somewhat erratically. As an empty bottle of Chateau Thames Embankment is thrown from the car, I think I recognize the driver.....

Dux:
A long time since we heard from you mate. Yes, I heard about the big yard sale on 48 vintage electric guitars over there. I had no idea that was your brother selling your band instruments. Oops! Maybe I spoke out of turn? I hope I didn't put him in it or cause a problem. 😜

It takes a while for a new drummer or any new member to settle in. You have time for it. From what you typed, I'd say you are prepared to succeed. Age has its disadvantages. The kids of today may not relate to old guys using aluminum walkers to rest their guitars on as they play 60's era music.

Just remember though, that Mick and the boys are setting the example for us young minded geriatrics. Keith Richards alone has been dug up several times. 🎸🎶

#4483540 - 07/20/19 09:05 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

MG:

OH, THAT movie. I've heard of it and am about to watch it. It stars Kevin Costner and Jim Parsons (of "Big Bang Theory" fame). It should be a good one. $7.99 to buy on Amazon Prime. Found no way to rent it. I may when I turn off my VPN. Thanks for mentioning it.

#4483550 - 07/20/19 11:31 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

MG:

That was one good movie. IMHO a powerful story about the US space race that everyone should enjoy watching. An uplifting story about highly qualified women who, despite having to overcome many obstacles, contributed so much to our getting men into space and on the moon. Do watch it if you can.

Last edited by Jolly Roger Two; 07/20/19 11:32 PM.

#4483577 - 07/21/19 07:47 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

JRT,

Thanks for those encouraging words old sport! The drummer is one of the pre-Beatles gang who we knew in those far-off days. In fact, I designed the 'Sabres' logo on his bass drum and painted it to look like one of the famous 'Skyblazers' F100 kites. Unfortunately, that group did not ascend to the lofty heights of fame enjoyed by that superb aerobatic team. I saw the 'Skyblazers' display at Wethersfield, Essex in June 1960 and was highly impressed by them. They seemed more aggressive than our RAF chaps...on that day at any rate.

Manfred von Richtofen

#4483625 - 07/21/19 05:24 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Dux:

No thanks required; you deserve a break. No, Leroy, not that kind of break. One could not play a bass guitar wearing a plaster cast. Think man! Give your brain a chance.

The Skyblazers were an early USA aerobatic team (prior to our Thunderbirds). They flew the F-80B, F-86 and the F-100 Super Sabre back in the 50's.

In fact, the history of the Skyblazers aerobatic display team started in the beginning of 1949, when three pilots from 22nd Fighter Squadron from the of 36th Fighter Wing based in USAFE (United States Air Forces in Europe) airbase Furstenfeldbruk, Germany, tried formation flights with their Lockheed F-80B Shooting Star aircraft.

IMHO, you were fortunate to have seen them perform. I've seen the Thunderbirds perform twice a Seymour Johnson AFB. Just missed seeing the Blue Angels once. Never seen the Canadian Snowbirds display team either though I think they do perform in US now and then.

I wish you good luck with your September performance. May the audience never catch on that it is all coming from a pre recorded DVD by the Shadows. 😄

#4483973 - 07/24/19 04:57 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

High temp today may be in the low 80's F. Right now, at 12:30 PM is only the mid 70's F. Quite a change from the last few weeks of 90's and higher. All that cooling cost us was day of violent weather and half the night with tornado warnings as a cold front passed over us yesterday. One grandchild was with her mother at the library downtown and the other was with me here in the country.

We saw a rain wall and cloud rotation but that passed us by with no damage due to the strong wind associated with it. We went to the designated safe place on the ground level of the house. We were in touch with other family members, including my son, all the time by cell phone.

I understand the Vollis Simpson Whirligig park, downtown, was spinning so fast it was about to rotate. Look that up online if you'd like to see the park and read the story about Vollis.

Here is a link: https://www.wilsonwhirligigpark.org/

In other compelling news, my granddaughter's little dog got into big trouble by thoughtlessly digging in a Fire Ant nest this morning. My granddaughter was also bitten trying to get the angry critters off him. They're both OK. Big wind yesterday, little bugs today. It is something new every day. It is possibly the very same with your family.

#4484002 - 07/24/19 08:03 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

No news is good news. No new mishaps in the garden or or on the bike.

I enjoyed the movie "Hidden Figures" and look forward to reading the book to see where Hollywood "spiced up" the conflicts. The movie left me with the impression that the IBM machines were abandoned until this nice and clever lady figured out how to program them. This impression was shared by someone with whom I discussed the movie. Somehow I think this is a simplification.

First, I have to read J. Michael Straczynski's biography; "Becoming Superman" and reread of The Fountains of Paradise by Arthur C. Clarke, the latter being a good old printed paperback which is perfect for reading on the beach, which is where I spent the day today. Perfect weather and the sea a was very pleasant temperature as well.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4484101 - 07/25/19 05:35 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

MG:

That is one of Clarke's collection of the written word I have not read. I also doubt the IBM reps were waiting, twiddling their thumbs for any length of time, even if a genius, self taught Fortran prodigy was available for help. Granted, it was early days, but surely the IBM techs were adequately trained before being sent out for this very high priority and, likely top, top secret of tasks.

Perhaps it was merely a literary ploy to advance the plot and provide a happy moment for us viewers. Hollywood isn't always the best arbiter of history. I loved the movie.

I kid you not, when I worked for a newspaper, there was a cool room for a large bank of machines and computers. When there was a problem that stumped the in house rep. a company rep. was called in. He came all the way cross country first class at some expense.

He was a nice fellow, obviously well trained. It took him only a minute to find the power plug had somehow worked itself partly out. He pushed it back in and all the machines became animated again.

Our tech was greatly embarrassed. Even when the publisher told him he should not be. Yes, it took only a minute for the repair. The factory rep was paid, he said, for what he knew had to be done and not for how long the job actually took.

#4484227 - 07/26/19 05:30 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

After a spectacular electric storm which raged throughout most of the night we duly assembled next morning in the confined space of the garage where the drummer proved most able to the task.

After becoming unanimously accepted he was able to deliver a rousing vocal rendition of 'Blue Suede Shoes' and proved able to pitch good harmony parts. We broke up in the early after noon with other parts to learn from the Byrd's version of
My Back Pages and the Everlys When Will I Be Loved. All-in-all, a rewarding session. Also, an instrumental: Johnny and the Roccos version of Saturday Night at the Duck Pond. This decimation from Swan Lake would have Tchaikovsky spinning in his grave.

Manfred von Richtofen

#4484244 - 07/26/19 07:47 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks.

"Saturday Night At The Duck Pond" ! How ever did we miss that one? I thought I knew all the classics..... 😛

Here's another of our coininkydinks Dux. I just watched the "Everly Bros.reunion concert, live at the Albert Hall" on Amazon prime. Naturally, they played that very song to great applause. I believe their music was as popular in Britain as it was in the US.

Early days of course but I'm curious. What do you think of Boris so far? I liked his speech made in front of No. 10. He promised improvements for everything from Brexit to animal health. None of my business of course, but can he deliver on his promises?

Have you heard anything from you guitar playing model lately? How is Lady "M" these days? Inquiring minds need to know. I hope everyone has long since completely recovered from the car accident.

Page 593 of 608 1 2 591 592 593 594 595 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.