Hop To
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
#4481815 - 07/06/19 07:57 PM Re: Our music was the best... [Re: Dart]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Thread seems to be stalling and eventually I'll harvest some songs from it, after it's all quiet and I'm not thinking of another response.

I think it's time to pull out my final Ace (although I had so many to choose from) to show one more example of what *I* thought was great about 1980's music. You may not agree.

From 1982...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cQNkIrg-Tk

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4481833 - 07/06/19 10:53 PM Re: Our music was the best... [Re: MarkG]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ

Originally Posted by MarkG
Originally Posted by Ajay
That's not even scratching the surface, it can honestly be hard to keep up with the plethora of music that is pumped out these days which in a way is nice as one doesn't hear one song for months on end.

One song for months on end? You must have missed my 80's albums listing, and it's far from complete (and IMO not even the best decade of music).

As in mainstream radio flogs songs too death smile On your music journey check out an Aussie chick called Tash Sultana, she is an amazing talent. One woman band, drums, acoustic, electric, you name it, she plays it.Does it live as well.

Our best national radio station, TripleJ, has a an unearthed segment where people can upload their music and get airplay. It got so big over a period of a few years it has a dedicated side station now and the listeners vote a best of unearthed once a year that puts the artist into a festival on a big stage. Also...no ads, no Nickleback, no Beyonce or similar but they do segments on influential musicians like Johnny Cash, David Bowie, Hendrix etc and a lot of roots of peoples current music.

They also have programs like The Racket that keeps tabs on current metal, a hip hop show, music culture etc. And the best thing, the presenters are young and passionate have their finger on the pulse and a background in music of some sort. When i hear other radio stations it nearly makes my ears bleed with their inane dribble and one song to every three ads.

Btw, what did you think of Metallicas last album? As a huge fan for nearly two decades i just couldn't get into it. They are still amazing live of course.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4481837 - 07/06/19 11:25 PM Re: Our music was the best... [Re: Dart]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Really liked the guitar solo at the end of that song. Had the speakers up nice and high.

I always loved finding new music and new artists. As I got older, and time got so compressed, I found it harder and harder to come in contact with it. I have always had a very "eclectic" (for lack of better word) taste in music. There is a lot of really good music out there now, for sure, but sometimes I find it hard to know where to look. That's why I like these kind of threads.

Last edited by LB4LB; 07/06/19 11:25 PM.
#4481914 - 07/07/19 03:37 PM Re: Our music was the best... [Re: Dart]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
You don't always have to go looking for new Rock, sometimes it finds *you*! Rock can be so powerful, you know? You can just feel it running through your system.

Ever have a Rock emergency? I had one just last night. At around 9PM I told my wife, "I gotta Rock! I want Rock out, let's go!" We didn't get home until 3 o'clock this morning!

Turns out this Rock is 5MM and currently somewhere between my right kidney and bladder, just like in NYC (except here they did a CAT Scan vs. Ultrasound). eek2

Pain meds making it bearable, hope I pass it soon, but even with Flowmax it feels like it's not moving (I'll come back to thread when I'm all better).

Just confirms to me that for the most part, new Rock sucks!

Rock on! band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRwrg0db_zY

The sun is in the east
#4481917 - 07/07/19 05:15 PM Re: Our music was the best... [Re: Dart]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
My wife has had kidney stones, she says they hurt more than giving birth, which she has done twice.
This song might apply to your situation

#4481977 - 07/08/19 10:31 AM Re: Our music was the best... [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA

Just confirms to me that for the most part, new Rock sucks!

What new Rock? It doesn't exist in mainstream Top 40 music anymore so you must be listening to underground/indie bands.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4481991 - 07/08/19 02:13 PM Re: Our music was the best... [Re: Dart]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
PM,

We saw Billy Idol play 2 years ago and he wa touring for his then- new album. So yes he is still making new music. Steve Stevens commented on stage about it because he said people were saying how they like their old stuff better, to which he said, "at least we are still making new music!"

Interestingly enough Billy played here just last Thursday on 4th of July at one of our local Ribfests.

I also saw Pat Benatar play in 2017 and she was still phenomenal. That same year we also saw Blondie play and Duran Duran. All of them held up really well. What really surprised me was Nile Rodgers opened up for Blondie and my respect for him went right through the roof. I had no idea how much he had contributed to the music world as a writer and producer. He actually had Chic with him so they played, but he also played Bowie's "Last Dance" which he was a producer, Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" on which he produced and played, "Like a Virgin" which he produced, "Notorious" by Duran Duran which he also produced, and Diana Ross' "Upside Down" and "I'm Coming Out", and others. His influence was clear and sweeping.

I also have to say that anything after Purple Rain by Prince was kinda downhill for me (except for the song "Cream"). "Controversy," "1999", and "Purple Rain" were the best albums to me. I really miss his funk style, and funky in general. I was at a club Friday night where they played the "Controversy" video and it reminded me how actual instrument playing and a cohesive band rather than a pretty face and just some guys in the background that get no recognition is becoming a thing of the past. When was the last time you saw a black musician play an instrument like a guitar or piano or something? We will never see licks from a black artist like Prince, or Nile or Micki Free, or Dez Dickerson or Jesse Johnson ever again, I feel.

Speaking of Prince, I saw the Revolution play 2 years ago and they were great, it was just hard seeing them play without Prince. They felt the same way, some of them were braking down through their performance and struggled to hold it together.

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#4481996 - 07/08/19 03:00 PM Re: Our music was the best... [Re: bones]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by bones
PM,

We saw Billy Idol play 2 years ago and he wa touring for his then- new album. So yes he is still making new music. Steve Stevens commented on stage about it because he said people were saying how they like their old stuff better, to which he said, "at least we are still making new music!"

I see what you're saying but my point is that the new albums being released by legacy artists are largely ignored and really don't connect with the current mainstream market. These new albums are only being bought by the most hardcore fans. That's exactly why so many legacy artists go on tour because they know their fans want to listen to their old classic stuff and besides, they make a lot more money touring than they do releasing new albums.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 07/08/19 03:00 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4482004 - 07/08/19 04:47 PM Re: Our music was the best... [Re: Dart]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
You ever notice that while at a concert (by a legacy artist), whenever they say "we are going to play something from our new album", there is usually a rush of people heading for the bathrooms ? Then they start playing the tune you have been waiting for all night while you are still in line.

#4482005 - 07/08/19 04:51 PM Re: Our music was the best... [Re: LB4LB]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by LB4LB
You ever notice that while at a concert (by a legacy artist), whenever they say "we are going to play something from our new album", there is usually a rush of people heading for the bathrooms ? Then they start playing the tune you have been waiting for all night while you are still in line.

LOL! Yup!

I mentioned this in a previous post but the Rush concert I went to a few years ago had a pretty subdued audience while they played songs from their new album "Clockwork Angels". As soon as the second half of the concert started and they started playing their classic 70's and 80's stuff the audience erupted.

#4482011 - 07/08/19 05:30 PM Re: Our music was the best... [Re: Dart]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
In Rush's case, most of their music post-Counterparts was pretty bad. At least what I heard. I think I listened to a few songs from the '96 or '02 album and wrote them off. The mixing/soundfield/etc. was muddled. Shame, because pre-Counterparts they were so epic.

#4482019 - 07/08/19 06:46 PM Re: Our music was the best... [Re: Dart]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
It is sort of subjective too I guess. I saw Depeche Mode and the Cure recently and their new stuff was welcomed as much as their old stuff was.

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#4482026 - 07/08/19 07:20 PM Re: Our music was the best... [Re: Dart]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Right, not all new stuff is bad. I happen to enjoy Devo's newest album from 2010. The managed to recapture what made them great in the early 80s, though, instead of trying to sound hip and modern.

#4482052 - 07/08/19 10:06 PM Re: Our music was the best... [Re: Dart]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Bottom line for me is that I have a large enough music collection (late-60's through early-90's) and enough upcoming concert dates that I don't need to go searching the underground for something new. I often feel overwhelmed as it is and I listen to music every single day and most of the day.

My internet usage is:
----------------------------
90% SimHQ (and my only active participation).
9% YouTube (although I've never had an account).
1% Mudspike (to follow another music thread).

If some new music comes along that can tickle my ears, I'll probably come across it here.

++++++++++

WangoTango...lol. This time is not nearly as bad (so far), but only because it took me all of two hours (vs. two days) to decide to go to the E.R. But it's still not a pleasant experience at all, looking forward to having this over with.

++++++++++

Ajay, Reload was my last Metallica CD (or S&M or Garage, Inc. if they count) and then a couple of singles from the last one (I don't remember the names...brain is scrambled on potent meds).

Tash Sultana is very talented.

++++++++++

Later Rush to me has been hit and miss (PM is right about hardcore fans being more accepting) but really, Signals and later never matched their earlier albums.

It's lightning in a bottle with most bands (a span of a couple or so really good albums or even only one), I go to concerts for the classics.

The sun is in the east
#4482430 - 07/11/19 07:29 PM Re: Our music was the best... [Re: Dart]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
This thread has put me in an 80's musical time warp that I can't escape!

Time to put the cherry on top (or pound that final nail into the post-80's coffin...completely subjective, of course)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M4_Ommfvv0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86URGgqONvA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCM4_5uB1ww

<Please turn out the black lights upon exiting the thread.>

The sun is in the east
#4482489 - 07/12/19 06:53 AM Re: Our music was the best... [Re: Dart]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Can't sleep, days and nights messed up right now. How 'bout a Rockin' 80's encore?

"We want more! We want more!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvUUj1OInCs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBUe_v6Mi70

One more song, 1980's!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RMA-1oWISQ

The sun is in the east
#4482490 - 07/12/19 07:10 AM Re: Our music was the best... [Re: Dart]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
^ Swapped out Dio for concert video (oops...what was I thinking with MTV video?).

Concerts were such a huge part of the 1980's, still waiting for Cheap Trick and The Outfield to come through town, and so many more.

The sun is in the east
#4482506 - 07/12/19 10:39 AM Re: Our music was the best... [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
Right, not all new stuff is bad. I happen to enjoy Devo's newest album from 2010. The managed to recapture what made them great in the early 80s, though, instead of trying to sound hip and modern.

I'm stunned that Devo released an album so recently. I thought they disappeared as soon as the calendar hit January 1, 1990. smile

#4482515 - 07/12/19 02:19 PM Re: Our music was the best... [Re: Dart]  
David Kennard Offline
David Kennard  Offline

Northern Virginia, USA
I was the only one of my friends that was really into my favorite 80's rock band Cinderella.
To me they were the most musically talented of the 80's "hair metal" bands but you had to like Tom Keifer's voice to really get into them.

Bad Seamtress Blues - Fallin' Apart At The Seams

Shelter Me

Gypsy Road

Somebody Save Me

and of course, like everyone had, their "rock ballads" Coming Home

and Heartbreak Station

"I'm a hundred miles away son, ready to strike"

GPL Racing: Average Drivers Club

SimHQ Motorsports: SimHQ Motorsports

EVGA Z170 Classified K MB, Intel i7-6700K CPU, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 GPU, EVGA 850 G3 PSU, Bitfenix Dawn TG Case, Windows 10,
32gb T-Force Delta RGB DDR4 3600MHz Memory, 500gb WD Black SN750 NVMe Boot Drive

#4482518 - 07/12/19 02:47 PM Re: Our music was the best... [Re: MarkG]  
cichlidfan Offline
cichlidfan  Offline

Woodbridge, VA, USA
Concerts were such a huge part of the 1980's, still waiting for Cheap Trick and The Outfield to come through town, and so many more.

I've seen Cheap Trick twice in recent years. Once as the opener, though I can't recall who for. Might have been Aerosmith. The other was as the headliner and the turnout was abysmal. Probably less than a 1,000 people in a venue that seats over 5,000. Such a shame since they really are excellent as a live band.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.