Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4481098 - 07/03/19 02:00 AM newbie dynamic campaign question  
Agathosdaimon Offline
Agathosdaimon  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
sorry i am very new here - i have just gotten the game to work and have only ad a brief explore so far - i was reading the site details about the campaign engine - to my undertanding the air war doesnt have any impact on the ground war? the front is just moving as per the history? is it not possible to say alter the success of the ground forces if one is aiding them? bombing enemy artillery or such?

this though then makes me wonder what if any impact on the greater war did the air war in ww1 have? did air supremacy have any affect on events of the war? or could it possibly have?

#4481109 - 07/03/19 03:50 AM Re: newbie dynamic campaign question [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
One pilot had no influence on the big picture. The relentlessly aggressive strategy of the RFC, however, aided the British in Flanders to the extent that its artillery was generally better ranged than the German and the constant visibility of RFC machines overhead had an effect on morale. But the weapons and payload of WW1 aircraft were just not up to altering the strategic picture significantly.

WOFF captures nicely the feel of being a very small cog in very large machine.

#4481112 - 07/03/19 05:15 AM Re: newbie dynamic campaign question [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Agathosdaimon Offline
Agathosdaimon  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
thanks for your reply. in teh game though if one say successfully bombs some convoy or artillery, then those things effectively are out of the game then yes? i am not at all thinking that one could change th ewar as a single pilot WOFF - though a whole squadron might help? and is there some kind of consequence for destroying enermy artillery? - actually was that something that ww1 bombers even were able to do?

i guess i am just asking about the limits of possibility on the game and not limits that i would ever have the ability to test myself, though i would like to just know what is possible as the campaign seems like such a large detailed living world. What i am thinking of is the campaign in EECH - does WOFF function in any way like this?

#4481122 - 07/03/19 09:07 AM Re: newbie dynamic campaign question [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

If you complete the objectives your personal progression will be advanced in the eyes of the top brass, but taking out a convoy on one tiny part of the front will not affect the overall war, there are many other convoys and replacements will always be coming until Nov 1918. The world is living in that there are all sorts of flights of aircraft on their own real mission. i.e. heading out to reccy a target that may or may not be directly in your mission path. Tanks advance later in the war in major offensives, solders attack across the battlefield and aso on.

Obviously we limit the further away missions and flights (and depends on your settings in workshop) but if you go off the prescribed mission route and go over the lines - it means you could still run into enemies. Labels activity will show some of the nearest flights
up to 8-12 miles etc depending on your label settings in workshop.

There are no fake spawns (like in some sims spawning enemies suddenly appear in the sky out nowhere, behind you, or worse still popping into existence in your view).

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4481128 - 07/03/19 10:08 AM Re: newbie dynamic campaign question [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Agathosdaimon Offline
Agathosdaimon  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
okay thanks - but can you tell me, as there is no magical spawn in the game, - which is great! does this mean that one, if they were some super ace, could eliminate whole enemy squadrons and those would never come back? - or would they just get new enlistees. one could find and take on the red baron in this game too yes? sorry so many questions! i just dont have the time still at the moment to play it more due to work so i just wanted to ask these questions

thanks!

#4481150 - 07/03/19 11:55 AM Re: newbie dynamic campaign question [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Not sure what you mean there, but by spawns I mean when flying along, we don't have fake flights teleporting into the game to make it look like enemies were flying there. There are actual flights all over going about their own missions.

No Squadrons will not be destroyed but for example you could lose several pilots in your squadron and then have to wait a few days to get a full amount of pilots from replacements (can take several days). So you may have reduced numbers in a flight for example, or the same people going up.

The Red Baron and many other historical aces together with their aircraft paint schemes are in the sim. Make sure you download the optional aircraft skin packs from the website store page for free!
There are also 1000s of real historical pilots, who may never have made Ace status in there too, hence they wear one of the many 1000s of aircraft skins.

The Red Baron is at his historical locations when he was really there so if you fly in his area yes you will likely see him.

You can't destroy a squadron, but you can shoot some down but more recruits appear of course.

If you shoot an historical ace down he will crash but survive and return. He will only die on his historical death date. Manfred von Richthofen, the Red Baron did get shot down and survived a crash in his career.
If you don't like this idea of them returning you can reduce the number of Aces in Workshop to around 50 total.

Last edited by Polovski; 07/03/19 11:56 AM.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4481170 - 07/03/19 12:56 PM Re: newbie dynamic campaign question [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Agathosdaimon Offline
Agathosdaimon  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
okay cool i think you have answered my queries about the game world in WOFF - i have downloaded those skins but havent installed them yet as i am afraid to do so lest something go wrong and i have too reinstall everything - in particular the instructions stating "You must DISABLE Microsoft Security Essentials Anti Virus " to install it - i am not sure what this is or if i have it. my antivirus is Avast - do turn this off? but do i turn of the microsoft thing as well? this seems all very dangerous as i would not want to be susceptible to viruses and such

#4481223 - 07/03/19 05:29 PM Re: newbie dynamic campaign question [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Pwner44 Offline
Pwner44  Offline

You probably don't even have to worry about turning off your antivirus, that's just incase it gives a false positive and thinks the skin pack is a virus. If that does end up happening, you can either disable your antivirus breifly while you install it or with some programs you could just manually mark it as safe to allow it to install without the antivirus stopping it.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans