Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4480842 - 07/01/19 10:44 AM oh no did i just waste 78 dollars on WOFF? game not starting [SOLVED: It IS worth it ;) ]  
Agathosdaimon Offline
Agathosdaimon  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
Hi!
okay i just want to check i have done everything right - i download the UE edition and put the files into a folder on my c drive and then ran the install and then ran the latest 4.24 patch - and .....nothing. i double click the desktop shortcut and run as administrator and the screen goes black and there is the little icon which is a red circle with a line through it., but then it just goes back to desktop.

i believe all my specs are fine, i mean yes i am running it on a ROG gaming laptop, but it is i7 16gbram 2gbnvidia 860m, windows 10 64bit - i have no issue playing games like Total War Warhammer 2, Rise of Flight, F1 2018, Elite Dangerous, and other new games - and i would think that teh game would at least go into the game, menus and such .... shouldnt i at least even get to the screen to register WOFF?

does anyone have any idea as to what i have done wrong?

Last edited by Polovski; 07/05/19 10:18 AM.
#4480846 - 07/01/19 10:50 AM Re: oh no did i just waste 78 dollars on WOFF? game not starting [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
I suspect your antivirus blocked/quarantined some WOFF files during installation. Reinstall WOFF, this time with disabled AV.
Set your WOFF UE install folder to AV exceptations.

#4480847 - 07/01/19 10:55 AM Re: oh no did i just waste 78 dollars on WOFF? game not starting [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Agathosdaimon Offline
Agathosdaimon  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
okay i will give that a go and let you, its lengthy process the install - i have avast, wouldnt it tell me if it was quarantining files?

#4480852 - 07/01/19 11:26 AM Re: oh no did i just waste 78 dollars on WOFF? game not starting [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
Yes, open Avast UI, locate your quarantine/virus vault folder and check its content for WOFF files.

#4480869 - 07/01/19 12:36 PM Re: oh no did i just waste 78 dollars on WOFF? game not starting [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Also I recommend opening the F.A.Q Agathosdaimon and reading the installing WOFF part in its entirety..This from there " DirectX9 must be Vista or Windows 7 or 8 or 10. Please install it, and please use version in the link given in section 4 of this FAQ and follow the instructions for its installation carefully and fully.
Please don’t assume you have it installed already, and if Windows tells you that you do not need it, please ignore that and install it anyway! We cannot stress this enough. Please install it."

I've been guilty in the past myself of not doing this pal. Hope you get sorted. Also please ensure you have enough HD space I think stock WOFF is over 40Gb.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4480871 - 07/01/19 12:38 PM Re: oh no did i just waste 78 dollars on WOFF? game not starting [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Agathosdaimon Offline
Agathosdaimon  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
am just reinstalling now - i had AV and also added the folder for woff to exceptions list, and i checked the virus chest before, there was nothing from woff in it - its just now at that "cloning aircraft" stage which really takes the longest of all

#4480879 - 07/01/19 01:24 PM Re: oh no did i just waste 78 dollars on WOFF? game not starting [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Hi Agathos, no you have not wasted money, WOFF is excellent. Obviously the vast majority of people are running fine, or we wouldn't be here. PCs being PCs and incredible variations there will be issues with some games even if others work.

As others say DirectX 9 install is a requirement.

Recently Microsoft changed something in Windows and gameux.dll

Please see this recent post, it sounds like this Windows DLL may be your issue :
http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...ging-on-first-run-of-the-day#Post4479133

This is also in the FAQ as are other initial install steps that may help you.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4480880 - 07/01/19 01:25 PM Re: oh no did i just waste 78 dollars on WOFF? game not starting [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Agathosdaimon Offline
Agathosdaimon  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
okay i will hav eto do that dx9 sugestion again too but the plot thickens a bit too - i did the install with av off and exceptions added and the game actually started and brought up the screen where i could enter a reg number or soething , but then i remembered, oh i have to install the patch first, so i quit out of that and installed the patch..... but now the game is not loading again!!!!! aarggh! why is WOFF being so difficult!

#4480882 - 07/01/19 01:33 PM Re: oh no did i just waste 78 dollars on WOFF? game not starting [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Agathosdaimon Offline
Agathosdaimon  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
sorry but could someone explain the rundll32 issue that Polovski mentioned - just tell me simply what i need to do, as the links to other threads to other threads to other threads - is all getting too much for me and i am drowning here. do i need to do something specific? do i need to uninstall and reinstall again but with dx9 installed first? or can i just install it now.?

#4480885 - 07/01/19 01:59 PM Re: oh no did i just waste 78 dollars on WOFF? game not starting [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Agathosdaimon Offline
Agathosdaimon  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
wel looks like i have to reinstall everything - it takes too long, i will have to try when i have time again

i installed dx9 as per the FAQ and i also did figure out the thread from Polovski - thanks! - i ran that bat file and got the gameux fill renamed...- but no luck. the game still wont launch. so the only success i hae had was briefly before i applied the patch, but unfortunately i need the patch in order to register the game! i am very saddened by this and the time and money spent on this trouble so far - i was going to buy WotR too but i think i will hold off on that until i can get WOFF to work

#4480888 - 07/01/19 02:20 PM Re: oh no did i just waste 78 dollars on WOFF? game not starting [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

I didn,t think you have to patch before registering ? you can fly WOFFUE from stock zip file,but it seems like you got to the reg screen so in my opinion id do the following.

Download the direct x and run it as specified in the FAQ..If you haven,t done so already
Install\launch WOFF and enter your order number
IF you get past the order number ok try clicking on Workshop to test some settings then click on QC and see if WOFF loads to game screen..if so then we,ve got somewhere then we know it runs ok...We can look at patching after this cant we Pol?

EDIT: Also have you got Afterburner or anything similar running Agathosdaimon?

Last edited by Adger; 07/01/19 02:34 PM.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4480904 - 07/01/19 03:50 PM Re: oh no did i just waste 78 dollars on WOFF? game not starting [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Ah just noticed you say a laptop, see the notes on laptops in the FAQ it may be you need to force it to use the main GPU. Sometimes they use the intel GPU (which won't work well if at all).

Maybe send the logs and other needed files to us on support (see last 2 pages of the FAQ for what we'd need).

Also .. showing the icon with little circle - perhaps it's failing on the playing the video (some laptops do this) there's a mention of that in the laptops section.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4480954 - 07/01/19 11:18 PM Re: oh no did i just waste 78 dollars on WOFF? game not starting [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Agathosdaimon Offline
Agathosdaimon  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
okay i will check the laptops section - if it is failing hte video can i just skip it - that seems a weird thing for specifically laptops to have trouble wiht

i dont know what afterburner is so i am guessing i am not using it

i have my nvidia gpu set as the main preference for all programs (had to do so to get some other reluctant games working

i will try again today when i have a chance - it is a long install process, i really need to be doing some other work at the same time, can i just run the install in the background while i am working in photoshop (i am guessing not, but i just wanted to ask smile

#4480958 - 07/02/19 12:46 AM Re: oh no did i just waste 78 dollars on WOFF? game not starting [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Agathosdaimon Offline
Agathosdaimon  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
i did the install and got to eh reg screen - pre-patched version, however the registration tells me my order numebr is invalid so i cant get past that i dont unless i apply the patch, i have renamed the file in shellmusic so hopefully that will help

#4480961 - 07/02/19 01:25 AM Re: oh no did i just waste 78 dollars on WOFF? game not starting [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Agathosdaimon Offline
Agathosdaimon  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
success i think! patch applied and into the game and it seems to be running nicely with moderate to high settings - i didnt know what to do so so i just took a free flight towards the front in 1915 and i love the atmosphere of it, the ground becomes cratered and muddy, the rumbling of shells increases and the flashes and then i went in close to see if there is any actual activity and saw trenches and started being peppered with bullets - brilliant!

i assume the game doesnt show little people running abut, that would be too much to demand, but are there ground targets at the front i can hit? like gun emplacements? i suppose i can read up on this when i have time, but i just thought to ask- next i will need to figure out how to land!

is there an auto land feature at all? or autopilot?

#4480963 - 07/02/19 02:09 AM Re: oh no did i just waste 78 dollars on WOFF? game not starting [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Welcome to WOFF. You're in for a treat. In your campaigns you'll be assigned to bomb ground targets like rail yards, trench positions, and aerodromes. There are guns and little people, but boy, do you ever need to be low to make them out. There are also truck convoys.

You won't see much air to air action in 1915. Things warm up in 1916 and by the fall the real air war is well underway.

If you hit Cntl-Shift-A, you'll follow waypoints on autopilot and it will land if your base is your next waypoint. But work at learning to land your machine, blip rotary engines, adjust mixture. There is a learning curve, but a massive payback in immersion.

When you get a chance, download Louvert's maps from the mod site. You can print them, but they are large and work best if you have a second screen or laptop to display them. It's great fun navigating by map.

#4480967 - 07/02/19 03:38 AM Re: oh no did i just waste 78 dollars on WOFF? game not starting [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Agathosdaimon Offline
Agathosdaimon  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
awesome - i do have a second screen time to time when i hook up my lap to my cintiq, - i need to figure out much about flying first - i do have ajoystick, but for now am just restricted to keyboard, which is not easy but it is working for me - i just need to learn what trim does and what other things i need to tinker with when flying.

I love these sims but i am not experienced with them and so never get too up with the technical elements, - which ww1 planes attract me as they seem a bit less complex than say an su-27 flanker or black shark or something from dcs world.

most of my ww1 sim experience is from Blue Max, Red Baron and Knights of the Sky

i got Canvas knights recently and i am pleased that i feel there is some similiarity in the control of the planes here as there so that will help me with both.

#4480968 - 07/02/19 03:42 AM Re: oh no did i just waste 78 dollars on WOFF? game not starting [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
See if you can pick up a simple joystick with a twist control for the rudder. It's going to make a massive difference for you. Try getting one secondhand on line if price is an issue.

#4480974 - 07/02/19 07:55 AM Re: oh no did i just waste 78 dollars on WOFF? game not starting [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Agathosdaimon Offline
Agathosdaimon  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
oh i have such joysticks already, i just dont always have them on hand and also when i do, i find them unpleasant to try and use unless one has some kind of desk gaming station setup , keyboard and mouse is really my preferred way to play things

#4480992 - 07/02/19 11:21 AM Re: oh no did i just waste 78 dollars on WOFF? game not starting [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Great glad it works, did you force the Nvidia GPU to cfs3.exe and also renamed the video ? One of those would normally fix it anyway.

Yes when there are major offensives (usually historical dates) you will also see soldiers avdancing across NML.

There's a key chart in your .....C:\OBDSoftware\WOFF\OBDWW1 Over Flanders Fields\documentation folder (default location).

There's also an older FAQ and other docs.

Steep learning curve as there is so much in WOFF hard to explain everything!

Regards,

Polovski,
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.