Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4479459 - 06/22/19 02:32 PM MLB season so far  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
My Red Sox have been pissing me off all season until recently. They are finally getting within striking distance of second place.

Do we have any Baltimore Orioles fans here? I’d imagine all of you already have the paper bags on your heads. biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4479478 - 06/22/19 03:26 PM Re: MLB season so far [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I loved it in April and May, June's been horrible. I'm a Phillies fan. Lifelong. They are in such a tailspin I can hardly bring myself to watch.

As for baseball in general, I have mixed feelings. Maybe a bit of a purist, but I'm not a fan of the sabermetric trend. Too many shifts, not enough small ball. Stolen bases, hit and run and many of the traditional fundamentals are being phased out in favor of the home run. A new MLB home run record will be made this season, and it won't even be close. Did I read that MLB is on pace to break the old season record by 1000 homers? That's crazy.

I like home runs, but baseball is trending toward that being what it's all about, not unlike how the mid-range jumper in basketball is archaic and only threes and dunks matter. And it's gone so far that it's not even really about the home-run. Solo homers are nothing to worry about, just the multi-run homers matter to a pitcher and his team.

To tie it all in, the Phillies have a manager (Gabe Kapler) who is deeply rooted in the analytics. I can't say it's the cause of their funk, but watching them every day I don't think it helps them all that much either. They've been hit hard by injuries, especially strains for their bullpen. I think Kapler babies them. A couple of weeks ago a reporter asked why a certain reliever wasn't used and Kapler (with a straight face) said he didn't use the pitcher since he had warmed up the day before. Warmed up! Are you kidding me? So when these guys actually go to throw hard in a game they are getting hurt. Overthinking it all has cost them in my opinion.

That, and they forgot how to hit. So yeah.

As for random MLB thoughts...

Trout is wasted on the Angels. What a shame.

BoSox need to get it together. That rotten start will cost them. That division has three good teams and you can't afford such a bad start. They've righted the ship, have gone 8-2 in their past 10 and are still like 7 games back.

Dodgers are far and away the best NL team. Not even close.

Chase Utley night last night was great. One of my favorite Phillies ever and I went to the game to applaud him off. They managed to lose to the Marlins, stranding 11, to ruin it smile

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4479494 - 06/22/19 04:57 PM Re: MLB season so far [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
I see the Tampa Bay Rays are thinking of moving to Montreal. I actually think they would get more love from the fans there than Tampa.

I hate the shift. It takes to much offense out of the game. There isn't as much "in play" action as before. Base hits and guys running the basses gets fans out of their seats.

It seems like the strike zone is just merely a suggestion to the umps now.

I hope somebody can challenge the Yankees and the Dodgers, even if it is the Red Sox and the Cubs.

If you think the Orioles are bad, try to watch a Tiger game. The Bad News Bears had a better bull pen and infield.

Last edited by LB4LB; 06/22/19 04:57 PM.
#4479505 - 06/22/19 05:27 PM Re: MLB season so far [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
The Rays proposal is to split their time between Montreal and Tampa. They want to play the spring and early summer in Florida and Montreal after the weather has warmed. There are many obstacles in this plan, not least of which is they have a long lease at the Trop. Interesting proposal though, and there is some precedent, such as when the Expos played a number of games in Puerto Rico.

It will be interesting to see how much traction it gets. Toronto won't want the Rays cutting in to their market control. But the Rays are good and still draw less than 15k per game. So something's gotta give.

#4479518 - 06/22/19 07:27 PM Re: MLB season so far [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Only one team consistently has worse home attendance than the Rays.

Yup, it’s the Marlins. Florida is just a crappy baseball market. It’s as simple as that.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4479523 - 06/22/19 07:58 PM Re: MLB season so far [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Who would ever had thought that hockey would have a higher attendance rate than baseball in Florida. I wouldn't be surprised if Jai alai has a highr rate than than the Marlins in Miami. biggrin

#4479531 - 06/22/19 08:34 PM Re: MLB season so far [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Per-game attendance, the Lightning have the advantage. The Lightning sell out every game, and average 19k per home date.

The Rays this years are drawing 14.5k. Not sure if that will stay steady, rise or fall. But because they play nearly twice as many games, that would project to a total attendance of 1,174,500. By comparison, the Lightning, selling out every regular season home game, drew about 779,000. Apples to oranges I suppose, but in absolute terms the Rays draw more people.

Montreal is often described as 'baseball hungry". Is it? It didn't work so well for the Expos. They averaged fewer than 12k per game for the last six or seven seasons they played there before moving to Washington. Have things really changed that much that a return of a major league team would see attendance skyrocket? Beyond the initial surge you'd expect, I wonder if there is a long-term viability to this plan. I reckon the fact that the Rays aren't really 'Montreal's team' would play a part as well. Of course if it's successful, it could all lead to a permanent move down the line, if all the obstacles could be overcome.

#4479715 - 06/24/19 11:20 AM Re: MLB season so far [Re: LB4LB]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by LB4LB
Who would ever had thought that hockey would have a higher attendance rate than baseball in Florida. I wouldn't be surprised if Jai alai has a highr rate than than the Marlins in Miami. biggrin

I've been to exactly ONE Panthers game in my lifetime and that was only because the tickets were free. This was back in 2001 or 2002.

#4479837 - 06/25/19 02:27 AM Re: MLB season so far [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
My Red Sox have been pissing me off all season until recently. They are finally getting within striking distance of second place.

Do we have any Baltimore Orioles fans here? I’d imagine all of you already have the paper bags on your heads. biggrin

You must be real happy with the Blue Jays PM as they take 2 of the 3 games in Boston.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4480042 - 06/26/19 11:49 AM Re: MLB season so far [Re: KraziKanuK]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by KraziKanuK

You must be real happy with the Blue Jays PM as they take 2 of the 3 games in Boston.

Yes that sucked but the Sox look like they are back on track. The NY Yankees are simply too good this year so at this point I'm just hoping to get the wildcard spot.

#4480090 - 06/26/19 05:50 PM Re: MLB season so far [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Phillies won two straight yay! Of course they lost 16 of 22 prior, so I gotta get it while I can.

I mentioned home runs earlier. ESPN ran a piece today with some numbers. Not sure if the copy/paste will work OK...

• Christian Yelich is on pace for 60 home runs, but that actually undersells his remarkable performance. Because he missed a few games, he is on pace for just 147 games played. If he homers at the same rate for the rest of the season and plays every game, he will become just the sixth player to hit 60 home runs -- and the first since Roger Maris in 1961 not named Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire or Sammy Sosa. Not possible? Well, consider that over his past 160 games, Yelich has hit .344/.429/.707 with 56 home runs. He has been slugging at this level for a year now.

• The Minnesota Twins have belted 147 home runs, a season-long pace of 309 home runs. That would destroy the single-season mark of 267, set last season by the New York Yankees.

• Entering Monday, 22 players had at least 19 home runs, a 40-homer pace. If 22 players do get to 40, that would break the single-season record of 17 players from 1996. Only three players hit 40 last season. The home run leaderboard is full of surprising names such as Hunter Renfroe (23), Jorge Soler (21), Ketel Marte (20), Josh Bell (20), Max Kepler (19), Derek Dietrich (18) and Daniel Vogelbach (18).

• Rookie Pete Alonso is second to Yelich with his 27 home runs, so he has a chance to challenge Aaron Judge's rookie record of 52 and seems like a lock to break Cody Bellinger's National League record of 39.

Of course, this means somebody is serving up all those home runs. Consider the horror side of the story:

• The Baltimore Orioles are on pace to give up 324 home runs. That's an average of 36 home runs for each of the nine spots in the lineup. Nolan Arenado led the NL last year with 38 home runs.

• Drew Smyly of the Texas Rangers, trying to come back from Tommy John surgery, picked the wrong year for a comeback. He served up 19 home runs in 51⅓ innings before his release last week. Jerad Eickhoff of the Philadelphia Phillies isn't far behind, serving up 18 home runs in 58⅓ innings, before landing on the injured list with biceps homeritis.

• Smyly's rate of 3.33 home runs per nine innings is the worst ever for a minimum of 50 innings. Eickhoff is seventh worst. David Hess is ninth worst. But consider some of the pitchers with fewer innings: Alex Cobb has allowed nine home runs in 12⅓ innings; Edwin Jackson, 12 in 25⅓; and Dan Straily, 22 in 47⅔. Drew Steckenrider allowed nine hits in 14⅓ innings -- six of them home runs. Eleven pitchers with at least 10 innings have a higher home run rate than Smyly.

So, home runs -- a record-setting number of them, on pace for 1,000 more home runs than last season and 500 more than previous record set in 2017 -- have been the big story of the first half. Because this is baseball, critics have met this onslaught of power with a considerable degree of "get off my lawn" commentary. Back in 2014, everyone was complaining that nobody could hit anymore. Now everyone is complaining that there are too many home runs.

#4480107 - 06/26/19 06:59 PM Re: MLB season so far [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
We had Drew Smyly her in Detroit for a while. There were time he looked like he had potential, but reality set in. Detroit is were pitchers go to die now. I am so glad Verlander, Sherzer, and Price got out. I am also glad J.D Martinez got out.

#4480239 - 06/27/19 04:49 PM Re: MLB season so far [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
You're a Tigers fan? Just asking as it's funny that you are happy to see the best players get out of there. It's that bad eh? I had a look and yeah, not a good season, scored the fewest runs in the majors, 40 fewer than the next team, the Giants. What did they get in return for all of that talent. Didn't they trade away Upton, Wilson and Avila too? You'd think they'd have quite the haul for all of that. A run differential of -145 suggests that whatever they did get isn't ready for the majors yet.

Smyly had Tommy John surgery didn't he?

Phils swept the Mets. Those three wins bump their record in their last 10 to 3-7 biggrin

But hey, if I could choose just one team to beat, it would be the Mets. Get swept by the mighty Marlins, and then sweep the Mets. Seems about right. Phils must lead the league in home runs surrendered. Every night it's a bomb show.

It's the Marlins, not the Giants with the second fewest runs scored, and Detroit is only 12 behind the Marlins. The Marlins would probably be last if they hadn't just played the Phillies.

Last edited by DBond; 06/27/19 05:14 PM.

#4480252 - 06/27/19 05:50 PM Re: MLB season so far [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
I just hate to see great players languish in what the Tiger organisation has become. Ever since Mr. Illitch died things have gone down hill (same with the Red Wings). When they brought in Brad Asmus to manage, that was the last straw for many fans. I have a lot of respect for Ron Gardenhire, but he has nothing to work with now. They have lost too many good players in the last 5 years for me to list.

#4480253 - 06/27/19 05:54 PM Re: MLB season so far [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by DBond
The Marlins would probably be last if they hadn't just played the Phillies.

How's this for a comparison of extreme opposites?

Average home game attendance so far for Marlins this year: 9,249

Average home game attendance so far for LA Dodgers this year: 47,658

#4480264 - 06/27/19 06:48 PM Re: MLB season so far [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Jeter's got his work cut out for him. Trading away all of your best players every season is not the best path to generate local interest in your team.

These three players in just the past couple of seasons, and that's just the tip of the iceberg

Stanton
Realmuto
Yelich

Those are three really good players. Yelich will probably win the NL MVP this year. Stanton has 40 career WAR and 300+ homers and Realmuto is arguably the best catcher in baseball. The Marlins would be a good team if they weren't so payroll-conscious. So it's a chicken and egg thing. You won't put butts in the seats without a good team. You can't afford a good team if you don't put the butts in the seats.

LB4LB, yeah I get it. Too bad it's gotten to the point where that's how a Tigers fan feels. Hope is the great redeemer, and when that's lost what's the point. With the Phils I feel they at least try to field a competitive team, even if the results on the field don't usually match my expectations.

Any of you guys play OOTP? Out of the Park Baseball. It's like Football Manager for baseball. A good management sim. My Phillies won six World Series by 2039 smile Harper was first ballot HoF'er and Aaron Nola got elected too.

#4480650 - 06/29/19 08:09 PM Re: MLB season so far [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Not sure how well-received baseball is in England, but they are getting quite the show in London today. 17-6 Yanks over the BoSox in the 5th. At least they aren't putting them to sleep over there. It was 6-6 after the first.

#4480656 - 06/29/19 09:05 PM Re: MLB season so far [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
I fail to see just what they are trying to accomplish by bringing American games like the MLB and the NFL to London. I don't think there is a large number of American transplants living in London. I don't realistically see these sports ever getting even a foot hold over there. Now both the Yankess and Sox have got to accept the wear and tear on their high priced pitching staff. For what?

Last edited by LB4LB; 06/29/19 09:06 PM.
#4480661 - 06/29/19 09:46 PM Re: MLB season so far [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Well, I think it's clear why they are doing it. Marketing and expand the fan base. The NFL has a strong following in England and MLB wants in.

17-13 Yanks in the 9th. Quite a game.

Just watched some of the highlights. House looked full and the crowd was making noise, seemed in to it.

Where was this played? Looked like the Hammers' park. London Stadium it's called now?

Last edited by DBond; 06/29/19 10:39 PM.

#4480804 - 06/30/19 11:45 PM Re: MLB season so far [Re: DBond]  
piper Offline
Veteran
piper  Offline
Veteran

Raleigh,NC
I haven't seen a baseball game in quite a while, but I used to be a big fan.

Then I saw the score of the game in London, 17-13??????

I know they raise or lower the mound, but wtf? Is it all long balls now?
I used to like watching the pitcher duels. Is that a thing of the past?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.