Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4473128 - 05/06/19 09:27 AM Re: Panzer Elite Ostpak Redux 2.0 released - download links [Re: Daskal]  
kommando Offline
kommando  Offline

Scotland
Thanks for getting back so quickly.

On the install, all the exe's are set tp XP sp2 and to run as admin, the full folder structure has been set to readable and the files from earlier runs copied to virtual store deleted. That should in theory be the same as running outside 'program files' but will be doing a fresh install from my original disc to c:/PE later as Microsoft do do weird things..

3d Control reports

Videomemory 2055896KB available, 1800KB regd
Texturememory 2054096KB available, Texture detail highest

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4473248 - 05/07/19 04:42 AM Re: Panzer Elite Ostpak Redux 2.0 released - download links [Re: Daskal]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

Then 3D config is working properly. "PE"/data/setting.HAL should match the time stamp for the last time you successfully ran 3D config.

I am not sure where to go from here. I do not have Win10 and I am done with hardware upgrades. I am still happy with Win98. You could try setting compatibility to Win98 as that was a pure 32 bit operating system.

I still suspect that the amount of ram you have is causing the negative number in the error log for required free texture memory. This would be the same type of error experienced with 3Dconfig and video cards with greater then 2 gigs of memory.

Last edited by Brit44 'Aldo'; 05/07/19 04:46 AM.

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
#4473509 - 05/09/19 02:17 PM Re: Panzer Elite Ostpak Redux 2.0 released - download links [Re: Daskal]  
kommando Offline
kommando  Offline

Scotland
Setting it to Win 98 and also Win 95 compatibility did not work. So will try a fresh install. The PC is Win 10 Pro so may try Hyper V and install a Virtual Win Xp 32 bit or similar.

#4474022 - 05/14/19 11:25 AM Re: Panzer Elite Ostpak Redux 2.0 released - download links [Re: Daskal]  
kommando Offline
kommando  Offline

Scotland
Well installing Hyper V has completely hosed my Win 10 install, it will not reboot even after using system restore and system repair gives up so last option is a full reinstall of Win 10. This is the last straw with Win 10 and may go Linux instead. Staying with 98 seems like a good idea.

#4474637 - 05/19/19 01:28 AM Re: Panzer Elite Ostpak Redux 2.0 released - download links [Re: Daskal]  
almccoyjr Offline
almccoyjr  Offline

Austell, GA.
Sorry to hear PE Redux 2.0 isn't working.

Iv'e got W10 x64 and except for some external FOV's I'm still chasing, PE RDX is running fine. I installed on separate hd and followed the suggested setup guide; all .exe's @ XP Sp2 and didn't run the Control Center until after RDX was enabled.

plug_nickel

#4475148 - 05/23/19 10:58 AM Re: Panzer Elite Ostpak Redux 2.0 released - download links [Re: almccoyjr]  
postman Offline
postman  Offline

Cape Town
I have also had no issues and everything runs well on Windows 10 Enterprise ver 1803 on my dedicated Intel graphics card

postman

At Fiddlers Green, where seamen true, when here they've done their duty, The bowl of grog shall still renew and pledge to love and beauty.
#4475574 - 05/27/19 04:41 AM Re: Panzer Elite Ostpak Redux 2.0 released - download links [Re: Daskal]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

FOVs are stored in PE/data/misc. They are stored as the view draw size. The original PE 1.2 stores the cone as CVL(size).DAT. PEx stores the cone as BVL(size).DAT. I forget which version MY's last code version uses. All versions recreate and save the cone if it is not found. The cone size is determined by the camera magnification. In PEx and MY mods (if I remember correct), the cone is also dependent on the weather.

So, you should delete the view cones if you suspect the stored version does not match the build of the game engine you are using.

3Dfx, Nvidia and AMD display the cone a little different. The view cone was one of the earliest code mods (extended view ranges). In the early days, we did not know that the cone used a stored version. Since then, moders did there best to adjust there code values to work on all available drivers.

The most common error from a mismatch is landscape polygons not being drawn at the left and right extents of the screen. If deleting a view cone does not correct the error, the chances are that the video card driver has changed there math.

Edit:
Note: the mod enable will only know of these view cone changes if the original creator of the mod knew of the stored .DAT file and supplied replacement versions

Edit2:
FOVs are a float value that is hard coded into the game engine. Screen resolution affects this value. If deleting the BVLs of Redux do not correct the error, delete the BVLs and try a different screen resolution (3DConfig).

Edit3:
Note! there will be a delay while the CPU (PE does not use your GPU) rebuilds any missing FOVs upon switching cameras. The the cameras are 1x (default), 2.5x (binoculars and most optics), and 5x (optic zoom). If you view all 3 cameras at the start of the mission, then you will not have a delay later in the scenario

:P I am starting to overthink this reply.

Last edited by Brit44 'Aldo'; 05/27/19 05:24 AM.

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
#4475774 - 05/28/19 11:22 AM Re: Panzer Elite Ostpak Redux 2.0 released - download links [Re: Daskal]  
kommando Offline
kommando  Offline

Scotland
Well I found a way to change the memory Win 10 sees without taking out the memory sticks so will give that a try.

https://windowsreport.com/system-configuration-windows-10/

Once you have system configuration up click on the 'Boot' tab and then on 'Advanced options' , you can then set the maximum memory Win 10 will see.

I have already tried deleting the BVL files but still got the same errors.

#4478790 - 06/19/19 01:21 AM Re: Panzer Elite Ostpak Redux 2.0 released - download links [Re: Daskal]  
Vox Offline
Vox  Offline

Penns Woods
Thanks Daskal, I'm really enjoying OstPak Redux 2. I had not played PE for years but I wanted to give this mod a try. So I bought PE-se from GOG installed it and the mod with no significant problems on a Win 7/64 bit build - The pdf instructions made it clear how to install. The only hitch was the "3D_Control_Center.exe" utility didn't allow me to select the resolution I wanted inially. I solved that by allowing win 7 to select the compatibility setting for the 3D utility. It selected Win Xp Service pack 3. I'm now running 1920x 1080 32bit ( GTX 1660) and it plays and looks great.

Last edited by Vox; 06/20/19 06:32 PM.
#4480206 - 06/27/19 02:26 PM Re: Panzer Elite Ostpak Redux 2.0 released - download links [Re: Daskal]  
Vox Offline
Vox  Offline

Penns Woods
FYI: TrackIR users . TrackIR 5's mouse emulation (TIRMouse.exe) works for PEse ( with OstPak Redux 2.0). Being an older game PE is not on the official list of enhanced games(btw steel beast pro is). However, it still can be used for mouse views in the x and y (yaw/ pitch) dimensions which is enough to view the PE battlefield.

Still very impressed with the updates, fine modeling, terrain, and new game engine programmed by Aldo. Wingmen and game logic also seems better.

Last edited by Vox; 06/27/19 09:17 PM.
#4480452 - 06/28/19 06:18 PM Re: Panzer Elite Ostpak Redux 2.0 released - download links [Re: Daskal]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Are there any tutorials on how to play this sim ? preferably video ? There does not appear to be any ingame.

#4480539 - 06/29/19 03:54 AM Re: Panzer Elite Ostpak Redux 2.0 released - download links [Re: Daskal]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

There used to be some game play videos, but I forget where
This thread covers the default controls, with a graphic that explains the "Mouse Tank".
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/pedg/feeling-a-little-rusty-t1710.html

Aditional key commands are covered in my readme of the code changes.
Misc:

A fourth view range has been added. The default key is alt-F4. If a large enough memory block is not avalible, the view range will default to alt-F1

The commanders external view and binocular view can be toggled to lock on a specific target by selecting any object or position with the mouse. The option is off at the start of the scenario The default key to toggle the option is Ctl P. The option is found on the third tab of the key command options. The lock can be broken by clearing the target marker or toggling the option off.

Wingmen can be ordered to button and unbutton. The default key to toggle the option is Shft B. The option is found on the fourth tab of the key command options. Wingmen must be selected first before giving the button/unbutton command.

Infantry AI and AT AI ignore objects in their landscape grid for the purpose of fire line and spotting checks.

When debug mode is active, the outline of the mouse tank wingman box will change color depending on there movement mode logic.
Red if selected.
White if idle or in direct movement mode.

TPA who TWI
#4480541 - 06/29/19 04:02 AM Re: Panzer Elite Ostpak Redux 2.0 released - download links [Re: Daskal]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

If the mod has a gunnery range listed in the single scenario selection, go there to learn the controls. PEDG first created this scenario to test the ballistics. It was released to all moders as a training aid for players.

If you have any problem setting up your platoon, click on the ADC ( the guy in the pre scenario screen not associated to a tank ) this will bring up a note pad that allows you to edit all of the clickable functions of the arming screen.

The menu code assumes you have closed any unwanted popup displays. If the popup images seem "odd" then go to that type of popup image and close the open popup.

If must hold a mouse button, or single click to toggle, to pan the camera is a setting within the player preferences.

If you have specific game play questions, please post a new thread in this forum or PEDGs. I do not wish to hijack Daskal's release thread.

Last edited by Brit44 'Aldo'; 06/29/19 04:21 AM.

TPA who TWI
#4480581 - 06/29/19 01:06 PM Re: Panzer Elite Ostpak Redux 2.0 released - download links [Re: Daskal]  
Vox Offline
Vox  Offline

Penns Woods
In the PE folder you should find the manual and original key code pdfs. There should also be a file labeled PE_Tutorial.Doc where the original developers give a "little tutorial".

I found this old article from Tanksim helpful for tactical and crew campaign tips.
http://www.tanksim.com/sherm1.htm

In PEse with Ostpak Redux 2 mod there are two single scenario's labelled "Brit 5 Firing Range" for both German and Allied equipment-Very useful for adjusting german optics.

A good video walkthrough would help bring in new players.

#4480679 - 06/30/19 01:34 AM Re: Panzer Elite Ostpak Redux 2.0 released - download links [Re: Daskal]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Thanks guys.

#4489563 - 09/15/19 11:54 AM Re: Panzer Elite Ostpak Redux 2.0 released - download links [Re: Daskal]  
Teut Offline
Teut  Offline

Deutschland
Jesus, you guys are amazing still supporting this game. We have the 20th anniversary this month, 2 decades ago and this game is still rolling. I am Teut, the creative director and designer of this thing, also founder and ceo of the original developer Wings Simulations. I wrote a small blog post about PE here:

https://teut.blogspot.com/2019/09/happy-20th-anniversary-panzer-elite.html

#4489584 - 09/15/19 04:48 PM Re: Panzer Elite Ostpak Redux 2.0 released - download links [Re: Teut]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
Originally Posted by Teut
Jesus, you guys are amazing still supporting this game. We have the 20th anniversary this month, 2 decades ago and this game is still rolling. I am Teut, the creative director and designer of this thing, also founder and ceo of the original developer Wings Simulations. I wrote a small blog post about PE here:

https://teut.blogspot.com/2019/09/happy-20th-anniversary-panzer-elite.html

Amazing is also the development team that made such a wonderul game, with three theaters and lots of fun. Thank you.

-Sir in case of retreat, were we have to retreat??
-To the Graveyard!!

sandbagger.uk.com/stratos.html
#4489648 - 09/16/19 11:06 AM Re: Panzer Elite Ostpak Redux 2.0 released - download links [Re: Teut]  
Vox Offline
Vox  Offline

Penns Woods
Thanks Teut. Your blog provides an interesting description of the development process and the hard work by talented people. And thanks for making the PE available to modelers who continue to enhance your creation.

#4489726 - 09/17/19 02:25 AM Re: Panzer Elite Ostpak Redux 2.0 released - download links [Re: Daskal]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

biggrin Tuet,
You told me not to look under the hood. What a wild ride it has been (both good and bad).

THANK YOU, for heading a team that created such a moddable game! And thank you for letting me have such access to it. frown sorry I am not as good with people as you are. There was a chance to merge PE with PEA, but I had offended all the other modders by then.

Edit:
Read your blog post:
You forgot to mention how advanced the scenario and object tools were/are. It was not that long ago that I was trying to explain to people how the SE could multi-layer landscape textures WAY more then they have seen (even in Ost Redux).

Markus passed frown That is a sad thing. I have read his notes in the code many times. It is not hard to spot how critical he was to the game.

Last year the community lost the person who identified the bug in terrain morphing over internet when it was modded. frown after 20 years we loose the best. God speed Markus and Slomo!

Last edited by Brit44 'Aldo'; 09/17/19 03:01 AM.

TPA who TWI
#4489767 - 09/17/19 02:06 PM Re: Panzer Elite Ostpak Redux 2.0 released - download links [Re: Daskal]  
Xambrium Offline
Xambrium  Offline

Happy Birthday PE band cheers

PS: Teut wo bleibt PE2? wink

Last edited by Xambrium; 09/17/19 02:08 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.