Hop To
#4480195 - 06/27/19 12:24 PM Concerts you regret not going to  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
My absolute number one regret of all time is not seeing Pink Floyd when they came down to Miami in 1994 for their Division Bell tour. I was a totally broke college student at the time but I could have saved enough pennies had I started early enough.

The last thing on my mind was that the Division Bell tour would be the very last US tour for Pink Floyd. frown

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4480197 - 06/27/19 12:36 PM Re: Concerts you regret not going to [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Viper1970 Offline
Viper1970  Offline

Bavaria, near Munich
I've seen them 1994 in Munich at the Olympia Stadium on their Division Bell Tour, but sadly also never again.

My number one regret is the Eagles concert in May 2010 here in Munich, I had no time to go.

Now I could have the possibility to go to the ZZTop concert here at the Olympia Stadium on first July, cause my son who bought the ticket, makes studies at the German Bundeswehr and has some important examinations during this time, he had to learn for. He asked me if I want his ticket, but it's for the arena and I'm not able to stand for one or two hours, because of my disability nope

This will be my number two regret!

Last edited by Viper1970; 06/27/19 12:42 PM.

CockpitPC1: Ryzen9 5950X|64GB DDR4|512GB M2 SSD|2TB M2 SSD|Geforce RTX3090|Reverb G2|Win11Pro
CockpitPC2: PhenomII X6 1100T|32GB DDR2|2x 2TB HDD|2x Geforce GTX660 SLI|Win7Pro64
ComUnitPC1: Ryzen9 3900XT|32GB DDR4|2x 2TB HDD|Geforce RTX2070|Win11 Pro
ComUnitPC2: PhenomII X6 1100T|16GB DDR2|2x 2TB HDD|Geforce GTX660|Win7Pro64
ComUnitPC3: AthlonII X2 250|2GB DDR2|2TB HDD|Geforce 5950Ultra|2x VoodooII SLI|WinXPPro32&WinME
ComUnitPC4: K6-2+|768MB SDR|640GB HDD|Geforce 256DDR|VoodooI|Win98SE
#4480259 - 06/27/19 06:33 PM Re: Concerts you regret not going to [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Speaking of...

Saw PF Division Bell concert in '94 at Georgia Tech Stadium. There was no further touring AFAIK, at least not here in the US, just a couple one-off shows.

Also in '94 (I think) I saw the Eagles' Hell Freezes Over concert with proper line-up of: Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Don Felder, Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit. Fortunately they played Hotel California correctly (Rock vs. Acoustical Reggae like on the Hell Freezes Over album and Public Broadcast performance).

ZZ Top Recycler, early 90's...

Wife and I were in a Blockbuster Video after work. Some dude was trying to return two concert tickets because the Black Crowes (a local band that made it big) had been kicked off the tour for dissing the sponsor, Miller Beer. Don't get me wrong, I love the the Crowes, Shake Your Money Maker is a fantastic album! This guy was really pissed because he was more interested in the Crowes than ZZ Top. I don't remember how I got involved in the dispute, but the guy ended up selling us the tickets at a nice discount, the only problem being the concert was starting in less than an hour. I remember flying to the Omni (downtown Atlanta) in my CRX (stupid, I know) and we were just taking our seats as the lights went off. Great show.

++++++++++

Now to answer the question... smile

Way too many... Boston/Brad Delp, Bryan Adams (in our 20's, would have been a marathon evening for sure wink ), REO Speedwagon, Styx, Foreigner, Alan Parsons Project, just off the top of my head. But so many specific tours were 70's to early 80's when I was just turning teenager, no money for it even if I could get permission.

Why o' why did I skip Rush's Test For Echo tour? After listening to Different Stages (TFE concert), not only have I come to enjoy TFE but on that tour they played the entire 2112 (A-Side)!

++++++++++

My first live act was The Producers at the State Fair (this is New Years '83)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzZVhwa2sSA

Studio version with official video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k89_UrZXNw

Been hooked on live music ever since.

++++++++++

My first *real* concert was Alabama '84 and I remember tickets being around $15.00 USD. I also purchased a couple of concert T's (so as not to come off as cheap, fooling no one) and for that I had to borrow cash from my parents, plus a ride to the arena. smile

Lots of bands I still want to see, even if some of them are now glorified tribute acts (although I refuse to pay big money for them).

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4480261 - 06/27/19 06:45 PM Re: Concerts you regret not going to [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Great post Mark!

Two more concerts I really regret not seeing:

1. Paul McCartney "Tripping the Live Fantastic" tour in Miami (1990)

2. The Police Reunion Tour. I think they came down to Miami in like 2006 or 2007.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4480276 - 06/27/19 07:46 PM Re: Concerts you regret not going to [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Gotta be Zep. Wish I would have caught them live.

I saw the '94 Floyd tour at Veterans stadium in Philly. Sound was terrible. Big disappointment.

Police Synchronicity tour in 83 or 84 at Boardwalk Hall in Altantic City was my first concert.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4480404 - 06/28/19 03:34 PM Re: Concerts you regret not going to [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Kinda OT (until later), this is a short clip of one of the better recent Rock interviews by Dan Rather...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onigYjcbOBY

"Where the ballad met the power," hell yeah!

It goes on with one of the guys remembering how much he hated that song (at first) and talked the guitarist into plugging in and using power chords to try and drown out Kevin and his sappy-ass piano. Lol. Now *that's* how you make a good power ballad!

Styx also did this very well, even if the sap vs. rock caused constant friction (Dennis vs. Tommy and JY, the founding Panozzo brothers staying neutral). The band was like a bad marriage, which I think gave them an edge with the feel of their music, especially when they mixed moods on the same album. Too bad they couldn't get along and capitalize on it longer the way REO Speedwagon did.

Anyway, REO goes on to tell a story of their Hi Infidelity tour (1981) when they were just starting to make it big as a headliner. The moment they knew they had really made it was looking down from a hotel window at the Baton Rouge Arena (where we'll be seeing Bob Seger) and watching a really large crowd form around the building for tickets. Even though I wasn't so much into sappy power ballads yet, I would have loved going to that concert as they have lots of good Rock songs, IMO.

++++++++++

The one that got away, although the rowdiness was too much...

==========
1982 AC/DC "For Those About To Rock" North American Tour, Leg 2
Sat. 23 Jan. 1982 : Baton Rouge, LA USA (Riverside Centroplex)

Angus Young - Lead Guitar
Malcolm Young - Rhythm Guitar
Brian Johnson - Lead Vocals
Cliff Williams - Bass
Phil Rudd - Drums

Supported by: Midnight Flyer
Tickets: $10.00
Promoter: Beaver Productions
Capacity: 14,000

Fan reviews:

By Me, El Mirage, AZ/USA:
I had just turned 15, and this was the first rock concert I ever attended. The pot smoke was so thick in the air, it's amazing anybody survived the performance. After the concert, unconscious people littered the sidewalks surrounding the Centroplex, and this received heavy local new coverage for the next week. I think this was the first, and last, time AC/DC ever performed in BR.

By Cliff N Beth, Still Kickin (Norco) (Destrehan):
This was the last rock concert at the Baton Rouge Centroplex because of the destruction caused to the place by the rowdy crowd. Let there be rock, hells bells, highway to hell, whole lot of rosie, rocker, back in black. rock and roll ain't noise polution, for those about to rock, it did not stop. Cliff Bourgeois Beth Fernandez Mark Brady Walter Chaison

By JM Ortego, Baton Rouge La:
It was a great rock show. They were about at their peak. Because of the underage kids drunk and passed out it did bring a lot of negative coverage. This was the last General Admission concert at the Centroplex. It was all assigned seating after that. The only thing that would have made the show better for me would have been Bon Scott.

http://www.ac-dc.net/archive/acdc_tour_history.php?date_id=1916
==========

Setlist:

1. Hells Bells
2. Shot Down in Flames
3. Sin City
4. Shoot to Thrill
5. Back in Black
6. Bad Boy Boogie
7. Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution
8. Highway to Hell
9. Let's Get It Up
10. Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
11. Whole Lotta Rosie
12. Let There Be Rock

Encore:
13. You Shook Me All Night Long
14. For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)
15. T.N.T.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/acdc/1982/riverside-centroplex-baton-rouge-la-23d36087.html
==========

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.