Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 44 of 47 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 47
#4477372 - 06/10/19 02:09 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
SimHQ pool party at Alicatt's!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPxiXGr9nFM

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4477377 - 06/10/19 02:34 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
cichlidfan Offline
cichlidfan  Offline

Woodbridge, VA, USA
LOL...If I were him I would not let any of us reprobates into his neighborhood.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
#4478511 - 06/17/19 02:42 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: cichlidfan]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Originally Posted by cichlidfan
LOL...If I were him I would not let any of us reprobates into his neighborhood.

I'm going green for the summer...

[Linked Image]

Was expecting and waiting for this using the mineral rich ground water, with the salt and chlorine in the water the iron is going to rust and go brown, but once that's away it will be fine for the rest of the year now. tonight I will be dosing the pool with some flocculant and put a fine mesh strainer on the skimmer to catch all the rust and debris so should be fine tomorrow night. Water temperature is 26c and I'm sorely tempted to just use it as is biggrin

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4478521 - 06/17/19 03:44 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Interesting, especially how it changed from crystal clear to murky (as you were expecting).

Is the blue tarp a cover (looks way too small)? If not, do you have one? Just curious.

The sun is in the east
#4478536 - 06/17/19 05:45 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: MarkG]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted by MarkG
Interesting, especially how it changed from crystal clear to murky (as you were expecting).

Is the blue tarp a cover (looks way too small)? If not, do you have one? Just curious.

The blue tarp is actually heavy duty bubble wrap and is the proper size for the pool, it lets the sun through to warm the water and the bubbles help insulate the pool at night and stops the evaporation which is the biggest heat loss from the pool. I'll get one of those wind on reels for it as it is a pain to put on and take off even with two of us, with the 5.5m round pool we had before, it was easy to take on and off and it really makes a difference, at night the pool can cool off by about 8c without the cover and with the cover on it only goes down by about 1c to 2c depending on air temp.

the pool is rusty, and it happens every time I use ground water to fill the pool or hot tub, I have used tap water and that did not go green or brown but it's too expensive to waste drinking water like that.

Clan Cameron
#4478542 - 06/17/19 06:22 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

MarkG you were asking about the heart rate monitoring on the Fitbit, as my Fitbit Surge is a bit older it doesn't do too much analysis on the heart rate, my wife's newer Fitbit Alta HR does a few more things in it's analysis and even gives more detail in her sleep patterns than what mine does.

I'll see if I can grab a screen shot of the wife's, but this is what mine shows on the

http://SimHQ.com/forum/tmp/16820.jpg

and on the iPhone
http://SimHQ.com/forum/tmp/16821.png

Attached Files FitbitHREx1.jpg5FTb0Tu.png

Clan Cameron
#4478967 - 06/19/19 08:20 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

used the pool for the first time properly yesterday and today, it's still a bit green but is clearing well now.

Today as I was trying out an action cam I had got a few years ago a flight of F-16s flew over, really quite disturbed the zen like float I was having wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OJLiu8MY-c

Ok, okay it's a fish eye lens badum tish.

Clan Cameron
#4479488 - 06/22/19 04:01 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Alicatt, thanks for the info on the Fitbit. I'm going to look deeper into it later today. Costco has one that I'm interested in, but I want to compare and price shop.

The sun is in the east
#4479521 - 06/22/19 07:44 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: MarkG]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted by MarkG
Alicatt, thanks for the info on the Fitbit. I'm going to look deeper into it later today. Costco has one that I'm interested in, but I want to compare and price shop.

Aaand just a few minutes ago I got an email from Fitbit, they are changing the way the app works, smile

Clan Cameron
#4482356 - 07/11/19 05:28 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Gentlemen, below is a gnarly picture of hell on earth (both sides, next to 0.7mm lead pen).

But it really wasn't that bad this time. You've all heard the horror stories of kidney stones, I've lived it myself (and maybe you have too). The key is to not hesitate with seeking medical attention. The first time I waited almost three days from initial pain, this time I didn't wait two hours before rushing to the E.R. (that was Sat. night, passed it tonight [Wednesday]). There was some discomfort and even a little pain, but NOTHING as bad as that first time (same size 5mm stone, same meds). The two experiences just don't compare at all on the pain meter.

So once you start to feeling that familiar ache in your lower back, get help quick!

CT Scan also shows gallbladder now clear of stones (not sure how that happened, pleasant surprise).

I admit to slacking with my daily water intake, but not any more (also squeezing lemons, lemon juice being good for avoiding stones).

Attached Files 5MM_Stone.JPG

The sun is in the east
#4482389 - 07/11/19 12:51 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Glad you got rid of that bastid! Looks smooth, maybe it’s a differrent type and that’s why it wasn’t as bad? The more common ones are crystalline and sharp, I assume those might be more likely to cause infection(?). It hurts 10x more if it blocks off your ureter, causing backup in your kidney. Maybe that happened last time? Some of us just tend to make stones! Could be worse. I do think that high water intake results in flushing out stones while they’re still small, so not bad to deal with, so maybe getting back on program will prevent another that size. I no longer believe anything actually prevents them though, I’ve heard them all. LOL
I keep the remainder of my last meds put up in case of emergency, locked away. They never hit when it’s convenient!
Glad you got it out and that the gall stone is gone. Sucks waiting for something like that to go off.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4482397 - 07/11/19 01:48 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I think you're right about the smoothness, RK. I didn't catch the first one in NYC but I saw it and it was a lot more jagged looking, even the overall shape was pointy. I bled a lot when passing that one but didn't bleed at all with this one. In fact, it surprised me when I caught it in the strainer as I expected my urine to at least turn darker before passing it.

I'm not sure about diet yet. I'm going to have this stone tested to see what kind it is and take it from there. My daily diet is low on salt (except regular Costco sardines and cottage cheese) while heavy on protein, with some fat and natural sugars/simple carbs. It seems the foods to avoid are many of the same ones listed in articles on men's health and performance (spinach, almonds, sweet potatoes, etc.), the staple of my everyday diet. Maybe I've been taking it too far (I can be obsessive) but I agree that getting enough water regularly is most important and I can do a lot better with that.

I thought I'd go through life without needing a urologist and now I'm not sure. The E.R. Dr. was recommending that I see one, I'll see what my GP says. Some other oddities on the CT Scan to discuss but apparently nothing of major concern.

The sun is in the east
#4483248 - 07/18/19 06:00 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Fellas,

I know a forum departure post is lame, but I'll be gone for at least a year and I wouldn't want anyone concerned. rolleyes biggrin

It's been the perfect storm (including a power outage from an actual storm...not much to do but reflect), a CT kidney scan (which also detected "mild degenerative disc disease in the spine"...hereditary), and the final 'trigger' (new buzz word) to send me where I'm going, Dart's 80's music thread. To be more specific, listening to Edie Brickell again after so many years (long story...maybe I'll tell it next year). I think I'm having an 80's mental meltdown!

I tuned my life completely around in 1984 but have some unfinished business from 1988. Many things I've tried to accomplish (some just to finish) for 30+ years now. It's messing with my dreams almost nightly and is starting to screw with my daily life (mainly from lack of sleep), like it's reaching critical mass(?). I can't blame Grunge and the Internet for *all* of my issues (damm 90's smile ), I just now have to find the required drive and determination to do in a year or so what I couldn't do in 30. But I can't do it in a connected world with unlimited distractions (I never could...lacking willpower), I have to go back to an earlier simpler time (like the 80's) and reset.

Wife's not sure she understands completely, but I know she'll be supportive and at my side as always.

Immediately after I post this I'm going to be like Nirvana in NYC, unplugged (turning over satellite router, no using wife's work phone for personal reasons without ISP). I'm not removing wall wiring or outside dish because, to quote from 1984: "I'll be back."

Thanks, Dart. wink

The sun is in the east
#4483263 - 07/18/19 08:32 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
You sound like me when I went back to school a few years ago. A completely different direction than when I was a kid.
...and it was an amazing experience doing it right and at 100%. Not something I talk about, but it's very satisfying taking care of business like that.
Hope everything is ok and that stone and back business leaves you alone. My Dad has that disc issue and I'm sure it's in my future as well.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
#4521560 - 05/20/20 02:06 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Wow, it's been almost a year since this thread has seen action! And I can't believe it'll be five years this December since RSColonel_31st started it!

Looking back over the pages, some of what I posted makes me cringe. eek What I'm about to post might also make me cringe one day in retrospect, but I've been given permission and it's fresh on my mind so here goes...

A couple of weeks ago my wife was chased and bitten by our next door neighbor's two dogs, one a German Sheppard mix (mainly looks like one) and the other slightly smaller, but still a full-sized dog. She was standing at our mailbox when they got out at his malfunctioning(?) car gate (his property is fenced which is very rare in the rurals) and attacked her. She ran down our gravel driveway (about 250' [76m]) with them biting her legs.

Before I continue, I want to say that we have the most excellent neighbors. This neighbor (with previous wife) was the one who sold us our house (the builder lived behind us and passed away recently) over 10 years ago, then built a new house on an adjacent property. We texted him at work and he immediately sent his wife over to check on mine (his wife also working from home), and then he came over after work to see about her. Everything is cool and no one saw this coming as we all thought his dogs were all bark and no bite. BTW, I haven't seen nor heard his dogs since that day, I believe he pinned them and then sent them to even more rural family, but I'm not sure. We asked him to keep them under rabies observation for two weeks, even though they're vaccinated (as advised by our doctor) and we have no reason to think he hasn't complied. We don't see our neighbors often being on 1.5 acres, along with full shrubbery along his fenceline.

So here's where the story begins with me...

Wife walks through the back door with a combination of tears and shock, then says, "I was just bitten." I didn't see a problem at first until she turned around (had a dog at each leg, tearing jeans on both legs)...

[Linked Image]

A few days later, some swelling and much bruising, but healing...

[Linked Image]

Our GP thinks her bluejeans helped soften the blow.

Recycling a 3 year-old pic from my Blue Angels thread (she hasn't changed)...

[Linked Image]

She's not an intimidating size for this type of situation, but what I believed helped her (I wouldn't say saved her, because she doesn't believe they were viciously attacking like in 007's "Moonraker", just chasing and snip biting) was that she at least has some speed and athleticism for a 52 year-old woman. She really can run, and apparently even on gravel and without tripping with dogs biting her. But as with her size, we'll never know if her running just excited them even more (she obviously didn't outrun them). I'm just glad she's doing ok now and hate to think about how much worse it could have been if she'd had tripped or if the dogs had been even more aggressive.

The lesson for me is to do what we can to stay in shape and to stay strong (and fast smile ) because you never know when you might need some fitness. We feel the same when walking the streets of New Orleans and NYC, always know where you are and know where you shouldn't be, always pay attention to your surroundings and always ALWAYS be ready to run like hell if you need to. You just never know.

Attached Files Bite_1.jpgBite_2.jpg

The sun is in the east
#4521601 - 05/20/20 12:53 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: MarkG]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Ouch!

So glad your wife is ok and on the mend.

walking the streets of New Orleans

Try it at night in the fog...I did for about 10 minutes then stepped into a restaurant just to call a cab.

Spooky... behindcouch

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4521638 - 05/20/20 06:00 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Yikes! I know that's gotta hurt. I think she's right, they were aggressive, but it could've been a LOT worse. At least you have good neighbors and this didn't happen with the neighborhood crazies.

As for me, I've gone up since I haven't had my gym since Feb and I'd already creeped up before that with the holidays. No big deal I figured, I know what I'm doing and once the gym opens back up I'll take care of it. So I slacked up on the diet some, after all, we're cooped up, might as well eat well, and everyone was interested in trying new things, cooking together etc.
Then right after the state said gyms could open up in a limited fashion, the hospital that owns the gym permanently closed it. Holy crap, it was devastating. Never in my life would I have thought a gym closing would be a big deal, but it felt almost like experiencing a death of someone. My situation there was too perfect. I feel bad for the people that worked there who were all really nice. I talked to the director that ran it and he's got a little longer while wrapping things up. He said there may be a buyer, but it will take some time. In the meantime, everyone, including him, is out of a job. I can't express how much this sucks.
In the meantime, we rejoined the Y today, but they're only accepting bookings 24 hours in advance for 45 minutes in the gym. Geez, my workouts were 2 hours MINIMUM. Obviously, the limits are due to the virus and they're cleaning the whole thing hourly, which is why the 15 minute gap in bookings. Better than nothing. With any luck the old place will reopen without changing things up. I had an upper floor pretty much to myself that others didn't use that had almost everything I needed. That might not happen again.

#4521639 - 05/20/20 06:02 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Thanks, Nixer. I forgot to include that she knew not to run but couldn't help it, being that it was two dogs with coordinated flanking (with the smaller dog in charge, she thinks). She also believes that she got the worst of it before she started running, with just brisk walking while trying to kick them off. Once she heals we're going to research the subject as to what to do in case there's ever a next time.

Also, the first pic was about 30 min. later, after my mom cleaned up her bites with hydrogen peroxide. She required no stitches and just a tetanus shot, the worst being some puncture wounds.

Your New Orleans scenario gave me the chills, good call on the cab.

The sun is in the east
#4521642 - 05/20/20 06:52 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
That really sucks, RK. I was taking my mom to the gym 3x a week (Tue, Thu, Fri) for heated pool therapy (back and arthritis) and SilverSneakers exercise classes, as well as some machines she was doing. Don't know when that'll start back up again, but she's doing what she can at home.

I'm still using my 'Mickey Mouse' weights (slow and steady progress), but I'm just as interested now in yoga-like body-weight-only exercising and stretching, where all you need at most is a mat. My nagging aches and pains are all but gone now, so I'm really liking this! We keep track of our routine and progress on clipboards hanging above the dumbbells, I'll post pics once they're more consistent (been really spotty lately).

I've become disillusioned with most internet attitudes that you should aspire to be a bodybuilder or why even bother ("Do you even lift?"). It's like people wanting to lose weight but can't stand the thought of eating lettuce and celery sticks. Heck, I haven't eaten lettuce in years (mostly on fast food burgers...lol), and celery? Maybe finely chopped and cooked in a recipe which may or may not be all that healthy.

I'll stick to my goal of acquiring, and then maintaining a 007 Sean Connery physique. Like I keep dreaming of a Fiero instead of a Ferrari (as long as it's an '88 GT 5-speed, preferably with T-tops), because I'm simple that way. biggrin

The sun is in the east
#4521711 - 05/21/20 04:04 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
The BS on many youtube channels...weight loss is dramatic, body transformations happen in 90 days and steroids are safe...as well as shows like the Biggest Loser have placed wrong and downright harmful ideas in peoples’ heads. The people that know better are those of us that have actually lived it. I’ve yet to find someone living a real life similar situation to me that wouldn’t agree. It isn’t just willpower, that’s finite. Finding what works for YOU and is livable, is the key. I might have gone up, but I feel better about it having learned what I’ve learned about fixing it and what I know I can do.

On the upside...the Y has an app where, like I mentioned, you have to book your workout times with a 45 minute reservation. Turns out the app doesn’t block you from reserving multiple blocks in a row. LOL Yeah, I can take a break between rounds, I can live with that.
neaner

Page 44 of 47 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 47

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.