Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 591 of 608 1 2 589 590 591 592 593 607 608
#4478745 - 06/18/19 08:24 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

OG:
Yup. Avalon Hill. I played. "1914", "Luftwaffe", and "Tactics II" myself. I had my eye on a Civil War and a Naval warfare game when I got my first computer in the early 80's. That computer changed gaming for me forever. 💻

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4478750 - 06/18/19 08:29 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Ah now, Avalon Hill, I remember seeing the ads for their various wargames somewhere - Military Modelling magazine perhaps? But never invested in a boardgame. At one point I more or less invented rules for a BoB boardgame based on a map included in the Jackdaw on the Battle, with its unit counters cut out of the light card sheet that came with it. Jackdaws were educational folders covering historical events and featured reprints of historical documents, the BoB one including Dowding's famous 'no more fighters to France' letter - the RAF Museum's more recent 'Battle of Britain Experience' is similar if bigger and pricier. Don't think I ever played it.

Dabbled instead with wargaming with miniatures - briefly WW2, then years later a bit more seriously in 1/300 scale (with a few GHQ 1/285 models, which were a bit of an expensive way to build up your BMP and T-72 battalions, plus NATO combat teams for them to attack. And I had to compress the ground scale a lot, to get it to fit onto the desk...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Still have all this stuff in a detached drawer in the loft. Used the excellent and ground-breaking revised Wargames Research Group WW2 rules with the tables from their modern ones, which were not revised until later. Played solo, so had my own playing-card system of determining which units you ran into and where, as you advanced.

Must be a few others here with similar stuff stashed away somewhere, or could tell tales of miniature Macedonians thrashing miniature Persians, tussles in the Peninsular war between small but beautifully-painted ranks, or armour-infantry slogging matches on small-scale Steppes...

Last edited by 33lima; 06/18/19 08:36 PM.

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4478918 - 06/19/19 03:23 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

For your visit to London 33lima I'd also recommend the Cabinet War Rooms if you haven't visited Them already. When I was there I felt the history in the Rooms very clearly.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4479283 - 06/21/19 04:09 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

What a day was yesterday. M$ and I had a fit together.

Not yet updated to build 1903, II received an 1803 quality update that, apparently, caused my computer to flop over, shake hard, and play dead. When it booted to my desktop my icons were either missing or strewn around the screen. My password program was completely missing!

I spent the entire day and half the night repairing what I could. Did I mention Chrome and Firefox also presented me with major updates yesterday? My bookmarks were missing and all but one of my extensions had taken "French leave". I fixed Chrome from backups and other encrypted sources.

When I gave up and went to bed around 2 AM, it was still a job not finished. This morning I nervously rebooted the system, OH,good grief!! I found everything I had done yesterday had been rolled back to the day before and there was everything as It should have been on Thursday.

All that work was not for nothing. I learned where the flaws were in my backup system and what I cant afford to do without. 1903 is supposed to be pushed to us in June. Good luck.

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4479361 - 06/21/19 10:24 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

We were welcomed to the first day of Summer today with temperatures in the mid nineties and heat index of 104 or so.
The lady of the house alerted to temps at the British Baking Show she was watching were at 40 degrees, yep equal to 104 in the shade here.
But hopefully the show is taped and you guys are no longer suffering.
I seem to remember light jackets being worn a week ago in the Continent.
You won't see those here for a while unless the guy is packing cold beer under a jacket, but that'd be a bit heavy.
I am very, very thankful for air conditioning.

Most of yesterday's afternoon was spent following 33Lima's flights and story in this forum.
Thankfully not cleaning up the mess in my machine. My condolences to JRT.
But I'm sure that's coming. Let's go find the backup disk and mess that one first.

#4479501 - 06/22/19 05:11 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop:
104° is HOT! 🔥 Cooler here, high in the 80's today. Current temp is 77°F. / 25° C at 12:40 PM. However, it feels like 89°F. due to heat indexing. Most of us grew up blessed by shade but without an A/C. You don't miss what you are yet to have. Could we do without an A/C again? Only one thing is clear; I could definitelyy do without my beloved A/C from October through March. 😄

Windoze tried to force installation of another update, or maybe the same one that failed before. This time, it seems to have worked according to what was written in the security/updates section of Windows. I was reminded that updates were vital because my version (1803) will soon be unsupported.

#4479519 - 06/22/19 07:34 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Speaking of updates folks, I don't suppose Win 10 1903 handles BoB2 any better than 1803...anybody tried?

Sadly, A2A recently confirmed they have no CURRENT plans to work on Win 10 compatibility, or to invite Good Old Games to work their magic. They are, however, looking for C++ people though to support 'expansion', per a recent post on the A2A forums, so perhaps something other than FS add-ons may be in the air...

How does that saying go, about hope springing eternal?

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4479612 - 06/23/19 04:12 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

As friend Fittop has mentioned, the summer solstice, or longest day of the year, is now behind us now. From now on, our days will be shorter until the Winter solstice (shortest day of the year) in December. After which daylight grows longer again. I think that reduction amounts to about 2 minutes of daylight lost per day. Thus, daylight savings time has been thrust upon us to make up for our tragic loss of light.

Poor and unfortunate souls, living in states that do not observe savings time, are suffering such a terrible loss of light. We must feel for them. Yet, to be honest, I wonder has anyone from one of those states actually noticed the difference? also, if we've saved so much daylight by December, why don't they use it on cloudy days? ☀ 🌧

#4480015 - 06/26/19 05:06 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

It was just a couple of days that I mentioned parts of Europe seemed to be competing with us for the 104 degree F, 40 C. temperature mark.
Surprisingly enough, the high here has lingered in the mid-nineties so far.

According to the NY Times that European high temperature will not mollify until Friday or so.
Even at 3.000' altitude Madrid will probably not escape the heat.
If memory serves me right, there are more areas in the continent than here where air conditioning is not provided.
Let's clarify that: ...where artificial air conditioning is not as prevalent.
Oh, but the ice cream and gelatos are delightful.
Bet the beaches are colorful right now.

You fellas keep mentioning the 1803 Windows 10 edition. Is it because you might have the Pro version? I still have the regular (not Pro) 1809 edition. Maybe an upgrade is in order? At any rate, an external back-up probably is for me.

I'm not going to attempt a reinstall of BOBII until I do that and add an SSD to my desktop.

Last edited by Fittop; 06/26/19 05:11 AM.
#4480062 - 06/26/19 03:06 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

We've been in the low to high nineties F. all week. I saw some incredibly high figures for late in the week that turned out to be a malfunction of my weather app. This same app malfunction saved me from the heart attack I was building up when it became evident the expected low was 32°F. Snow in late June???? No way. The churches of all denominations would be bursting at the seams with new converts the very next Sunday. ⛪

I can imagine our friend in Denmark sitting by the fire dressed in his most comfy Arctic gear. As he reads of our high temperatures he grins, shakes his head and takes another deep draft of hot chocolate. OK, considering the heat in Europe, Scandinavia may be hot as well. Our friend might be taking his bike rides in Speedos these days. Ouch, I did NOT need that mind picture....

I have it on good authority that our beaches have experienced the normal early summer influx of gorgeous, and indeed colorful, bare breasted tail twitchers. Birds of a feather are, once again, flocking together on our Atlantic coast from Hatteras to Carolina Beach and beyond.

Canada is usually cooler than here. When I was in Toronto in June/July a few years ago, the weather was delightful. I'll check to see if the Igloos are melting up there. Water runs down hill you know, and New York state and Michigan could be in for a flood if the big lakes can't handle the melt water. wink

Win 1809 was the build that gave those updating M$ Win 10 a lot of trouble. I'm still at 1803 but there is a new notice on my updates page notifying me that new version 1903 is available when I'm ready. That is being called the new windows. It adds new features and seems to be less trouble regarding complaints than 1809. If that is what they've been pushing on me lately then my system chokes on it. No, I have Win 10 Home and not pro. With Pro you can put off an update for a time but not forever.

I just ordered from Amazon a new Samsung 1 TB SSD external HD. That should arrive today. I plan to back up my whole system before attempting the 1903 major upgrade.

Besides, I have more important things to be concerned about right now. My son is having laser eye surgery this Friday morning for a detached retina. He had the original surgery months ago. This surgery is to clean up minor scar tissue resulting from the first surgery. Every indication is that all will go well and he'll go home after a few hours with no additional ill effects. I'll be with him, of course.

#4480068 - 06/26/19 03:23 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

I am tempted to asking what is this Windows 10 you are writing about? Is it something to do with personal computers? As you indubitably know my dear friends, I stopped at 7. However the hour of truth draws closer and closer when support will stop. Perhaps I will continue the experiment and see how long I can keep the old girl running without catching an abominable virus!

Hyperbole abounds as we have been promised hell to arrive to Europe in the form of temperatures for some part of the continent apparently reaching 40 C in these following days. Imagine that, 40 C in the middle of summer. Who would have thought it! wink This stunning meteorologist report was brought to us by the National Met Office which is also responsible for introducing yet another level of infantile communication by splitting up the forecasts into three categories; Violent, dangerous and very dangerous weather. Highly scientific and informative me thinks not! Currently it is very windy!

When I was a lad in ground school I distinctly remember writing in a History Report that the Aeroplane decided the outcome of World War I. My teacher was not convinced which she duly noted in the margin of my excellent report. As I am now reading "Aces Falling" by Peter Hart, I feel vindicated in my claims to Historical scholarship and distinction by the fact that a great many of the big German spring offensives, e.g. Operation Michael and Operation Georgette were repelled by the extensive use of strafing and bombing the advancing German troops from, the air.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4480070 - 06/26/19 03:49 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Roger; Good luck with most favoured son's surgery. I'm on the casualty list myself as I had the misfortune of getting myself stung by a thorn from a bush in my garden whilst trimming it. It turns out the innocent looking bush is poisons so my right hand is currently hurting and swollen. The doctor told me it wasn't anything to worry about. If it starts smelling funny or turn black, I might have another word with the doc.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4480074 - 06/26/19 04:16 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

I am going to add my good thoughts on your son's surgery Friday, JRT.

We might have ticked off the junior gods, (if that wordage does not offend anyone) since it seems that fortunes have declined to smile on our bunch.

Eye surgery, hopefully fairly minor offense to MG, and on my return from the dentist this morning I am reporting the screw inserted to prep an implant was grabbed by tissue rather than bone.

I am calling it a failure since said screw was removed this morning and the process restarted again.

That means a repacking of bone grafts complicated by being an upper implant which is close to the sinus cavity.
It also means careful work by the dentist and another four months of soft food and the associated hassle.
Meanwhile I will be wondering why my body is disappointing me. Think it could be old age changing it?

Not quite at the level of eye work at all. But my disappointment is noticeable.
Nevertheless, I am pulling that surgeons are great in NC and the worries are needless in Denmark.

May our collective futures be sunny. -Windows updates and hassles notwithstanding.

#4480119 - 06/26/19 09:14 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Thanks fellows. He should be OK.

#4480423 - 06/28/19 04:40 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

My son put off his surgery util Monday morning. His job requires him to work today and there is no pain associated with his eye or any negative attached to his putting surgery off a few days, according to his doctor. However, he must have the procedure done soon to avoid further complications, she said.

The extreme heat being experienced in Europe might be expected to change the minds of the inhabitants about installing air conditioning in their houses and businesses. Some stubborn recalcitrants may wait until the Laps finally get the message. This heat wave is unprecedented at least in modern times. Our temps are staying in the low to high 90's F. Today will be no exception. The current temp. is 88° F / 31° C. headed higher.

Due to the A/C, it is a cool and comfy 70°F. in my room. Of course the average central air conditioner cannot work miracles. If it were 104° outside it might be 10 or 15 °F. cooler than that inside. If the humidity was higher than the current 50% that would be much drier in here and I'd feel cooler due to the A/C wringing the water out of the humid air. I type this for our European visitors who may be unfamiliar with air conditioning.

The high pressure system over Europe is stubbornly hanging around. Yup, looks like it may be a long, hot summer for everyone.

#4480443 - 06/28/19 05:43 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Glad I checked in to hear the postponement news, even if it meant a delay rather than "It all went well."
We will extend the good thoughts.

Had meant to compliment 33Lima on his flight reports here, but seeing his posted picture of his old neighborhood during the war years gave me pause.
Somehow. normal I suppose, it reminded me of similar situations and the memories it triggers.

You can almost see your aunts and your younger self playing with your cousins around the chunks of cement and metallic debris ignoring the smell of dirt and destruction around you because, really, there is nothing you can do about it.

Thankfully, no one was bombing us. But one remembers: No grass, just dirt, and be careful of strange dogs.

Yet we enjoy so much re-living the smells of hot engines, the coolness of the oxygen, the weight of the helmet, the landscape which suddenly looks strange; something has changed and awakens that feeling that pricks up the hairs in the back and you tell yourself to do it by the book tonight because you don't know where dawn will find you.

But that thought just leaves you as you remember that right now the checklist is queen and demands your attention so you can be bored and enjoy that cup of coffee or that beer in the morning.

So now you can enjoy shoving that stick a bit and hope to grease a couple of tons of machine onto a virtual runway; - real joysticks and yokes left way back in years now.

Yeah, you know you should look into getting a set of rudders soon.
But Costco has those water filters you need to order first.

So thanks, 33Lima for taking me along on your journey. Enjoyed the trip and left a comment on your latest rather than here.
I don't know who left the moist spot on the back of my chair.

#4480487 - 06/28/19 09:59 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Thanks Fittop, glad you enjoyed the 'museum mission report' over at CombatAce. The second and last part will follow some time tomorrow, and after that, one for the other BoB museum I visited, the preserved (or more accurately, restored) 11 Group bunker at Uxbridge. Lack of time precluded the planned visit to the RAF museum at Hendon, so that will be next time. Instead I squeezed in a trip to the Imperial War Museum in Lambeth. A good many of the exhibits I saw there on my last visit circa 1977 were still there, like the Spitfire, V1 and V2...

[Linked Image]

...while others I recall, like the He 162 and the Mosquito have gone, presumably to the IWM's sister site at Duxford. Gone too are the racks of small arms they used to have there, though there was an 'Eighty-eight' and even a G7e torpedo I don't recall from last time. I'd post a few pics here too but the attachment facility is reporting them as over the 1 Meg limit even tho they aren't. If that resolves itself I'll be back to posting the regular campaign reports soon. [Edit - still having probs with attatching images du to false positive 'over size limit' rejections, so linked the one above from imgbb. so at least that's working] I'll also take a virtual flight up to Stanmore in BoB2 and see if can spot the location I just visited!

Last edited by 33lima; 06/29/19 10:26 AM.

#4480643 - 06/29/19 07:00 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

This area, just north of where I was in the big city, holds its Independence Day festivity the weekend before the Fourth. It works out great for me since the crowds were smaller and that makes the experience better for us.
Had not felt like going last year and won't be able to attend this one either. But here's hoping every U.S. enthusiast has a
Wonderful Independence Day celebration.
Be safe and have fun!

33Lima, I missed seeing the aviation museums in Europe. My loss, since I've heard they are fantastic. But at the time, rest was more important.
The vacation times I've taken for museums there was usually spent at other museums. Still, I wish I had seem more airplanes.
The Smithsonian, mentioned before has wonderful exhibits too, but it's a fair piece from here.
The closest ones are good, with the Cunningham at Addison airport holding a favorite spot in me, and one at Dallas Love Field a second spot.
Air shows, usually in the Fall here are good, though I've missed a couple lately due to parking and other problems.
It does seem that they have gotten pretty proud of their parking areas (as reflected by their fees) though.

Looking at a recent post here, the Paris show must have been as great as ever. But they have gotten very commercial, catering to the big boys.

#4480743 - 06/30/19 03:31 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

It will be another good day for outside grilling. Especially if you like to be able to grill your food without gas, charcoal or lighter fluid. In other words, with just blistering hot air. All that providing you don't mind the obvious risk of also cooking the chef. 🔥 👨‍🍳

Fittop:

May you and your family and all here have a great Independence Day celebration.

BTW, have you ever visited the "Confederate Air Force" Museum located in the vast Rio Grande Valley?

#4480816 - 07/01/19 04:26 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

May you all have a safe Fun Fourth.
I was there once presenting a non-flying exhibit, but did not get inside the hangar where they keep the pretty toys.
Those guys put in a lot of love, money and work-sweat on those machines.

They have changed to name and I believe, location(?) for their working site.
Conmemorative Air Force?
But I think the hangar and content is still there.

Page 591 of 608 1 2 589 590 591 592 593 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.