Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4479128 - 06/20/19 05:51 PM Prosessie rups (Oak Procession Caterpillars)  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Argh! My son has an infestation of the above caterpillars at his property and I was there with bare arms, now, I could claw my arms off they are so irritated. I was nowhere near the blessed things either just the wind blown hairs from the little beasts.
Got an ointment from the chemist for it and it takes a little of the heat and itch away from it. It is like I had dozens of mosquito bites on each arm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_processionary

England
The caterpillars were accidentally introduced to the UK in 2005, almost certainly as eggs on live oak plants imported from continental Europe. Later distribution of the pest probably arose from several similar introductions, in addition to spread from the original point of introduction.[1] By 2019 they had spread to all 33 London boroughs, and the Government had spent £37 million trying to control them.[7] The general public have been asked to look out for these caterpillars and to report them, rather than deal with them themselves. The London Boroughs of Brent, Ealing, Hounslow and Richmond upon Thames set up task forces to deal with outbreaks. Sightings of these caterpillars in other areas should be reported to the Forestry Commission,[8] whose research agency issued guidance on the way to contain outbreaks and deal with infestations, so as not to increase the risk to the public.[9]
On 31 March 2008 an emergency amendment added the moth to the list of pests in The Plant Health (Forestry) Order 2005, and has required all oak trees coming into the UK from the rest of Europe to have Plant Passports.[10]
In 2013 the Forestry Commission announced helicopters would be deployed to "blanket spray woodland" where the caterpillars posed a health threat.[3]
In April 2018 an outbreak of the caterpillars was reported across Greater London and surrounding areas.[11] In 2015 fifteen OPM nests were found in Hampstead Heath, Highgate Wood and Queen's Park; in 2018 over 2,000 were found at those sites

Belgium
The moth is reported as being fairly common in Belgium, notably in the Campine but also elsewhere, the population fluctuating from year to year.[12] In 2007 infestations in the province of Limburg were so acute that soldiers were deployed to burn them.

As my son has a few nests of them in his trees, he has had to inform the local authority and get the firebrigade to come and burn them out.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4479156 - 06/20/19 07:59 PM Re: Prosessie rups (Oak Procession Caterpillars) [Re: Alicatt]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
I once happened across one of these on the trail while hiking once:

[Linked Image]

They're called Hickory Horned Devil caterpillars, and for a moment the durned bugger startled the crap out of me. They're harmless, though, and turn into these:

[Linked Image]

The Regal Moth. Awesome looking creatures.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 06/20/19 08:00 PM.
#4479162 - 06/20/19 08:46 PM Re: Prosessie rups (Oak Procession Caterpillars) [Re: Alicatt]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
Where was this Allicat? Think Worcestershire is clear of them so far, too far north mayhap

#4479163 - 06/20/19 08:56 PM Re: Prosessie rups (Oak Procession Caterpillars) [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
I once happened across one of these on the trail while hiking once:

They're called Hickory Horned Devil caterpillars, and for a moment the durned bugger startled the crap out of me. They're harmless, though, and turn into these:

The Regal Moth. Awesome looking creatures.

They both look kind of awesome smile

last year we had a plague of Buxsus moth caterpillars, while harmless to humans they devastated our hedges, they ate them back so far the hedge was dead this year, and we had to remove all the buxus hedges we had, it was heart breaking. The only way of getting rid of them is to spray with poison as they are an alien species to Belgium coming from China, our birds don't eat them, but with defoliating the hedges they have removed the habitat for other bugs and insects so the bird population has declined this year.

Clan Cameron
#4479164 - 06/20/19 08:59 PM Re: Prosessie rups (Oak Procession Caterpillars) [Re: BD-123]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted by BD-123
Where was this Allicat? Think Worcestershire is clear of them so far, too far north mayhap

Limburg in Belgium, about 20 minutes south of Eindhoven, we are about as far north as the north of London

Clan Cameron

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.