Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#44783 - 09/16/01 09:02 PM A request for Help in ACM. Warning Long.  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello I go by the handle 2Fast and I fly with a sim unit called bose26. We were in AW for about 4 years and now have moved to WWII online. Because of the move to a new sim we have lost some of our members and gained new people. Some of our new people have Little to no experience with air combat.

That is what brings me here. Since I cant upgrade my system right now I am trying to help my squad by writing a complete guide for Air to Air combat that would be geared to WWII type of stuff and be all in one place. I started trying to go through all the material I could find and I now see I have a lot of work to do. I am also hoping to better understand all of this information and increase my skill in Air to Air combat in sims.

After looking at every thing I decided that it would be best if I started at the beginning. So to make things easier im going to try to break every thing down in to sections and work on it one section at a time. That is the reason I have come to all of you. I am hoping that if I post stuff up I could get those of you who better understand this to give me some advice and maybe explain some things I don’t understand. Since I don’t understand all of this and im working on it in my spare time this may take months. =(

Assuming that some of the new people we get will have no experience im starting at the beginning. The First thing I am working on is a list of the BFM - Basic Fighter maneuvers and BAM Basic Aerobatic Maneuvers. Once I have the list sorted ill go in to detail on each item. My Questions for right now. Should BAM and BFM be treated as one list or two for training purposes? There is a Move I have heard of called a snap roll if I remember right it has a inside and a outside version. Any one Know how to do one? What would be the reason for doing one? Do you know any BAM I missed that I could add to this list? Do you know any BFM that I missed that I could add to this list? Below I will past my list of BAM and BFM if you see any thing that I missed could you advise me? Also im getting some of my Text from this web site. As an example the BFM definition im using I think came from the BFM articles by Andy Bush.I don’t want to break laws or piss any one off so what do I do If I want to use some of the text from this site?

BAM Basic Aerobatic Maneuvers.
1. Aileron Roll
2. Barrel Roll
3. Loop Over
4. Split S
5. Immelmann

BFM, Basic Fighter Maneuvers, is just that...basic offensive and defensive maneuvers flown by one aircraft against a single opponent. BFM is intended to teach the basics of 3D maneuvering with emphasis on spatial relationships and control of airspeed

1. Pursuit Curves
2. Low Yo - Yo
3. High Yo - Yo
4. The Break Turn
5. Lead Turn
6. Lag Turn
7. Vertical & Oblique Turns
8. Nose to Nose & Nose to Tail Turns
9. Rolling Scissors
10. Flat Scissors
11. Defensive Spiral
12. Lag Displacement Rolls
13. Hammerhead Stall
14. Ventral Turn(sp?)
15. Roping or spiral Climb?

Thanks for taking the time to look at this and any advice you can give.
2Fast

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#44784 - 09/16/01 11:52 PM Re: A request for Help in ACM. Warning Long.  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
2Fast

You may use any of the material in the Air Combat Corner as long as you credit SimHQ as the source.

Aerobatic maneuvers, as a rule, do not have a place in A2A combat...but there are A2A BFM maneuvers that have their origin in aerobatic maneuvers...the High G Roll Over The Top, for example, is a spin off of the Snap Roll...but there the similarity ends.

My suggestion is that you start off with your viewing system and then go to basic BFM concepts..such as lift vector control, recognition of turning room, and understanding of closure. Once your people understand how their viewing system allows them to "see" these concepts, then you are ready to move on to specific maneuvers.

The difficult part is not understanding the maneuvers...it's being able to use the viewing system to fly the maneuvers properly. Put your attention in this area and your pilots will benefit greatly.

Andy

Moderated by  Andy Bush, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.