Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#4476825 - 06/05/19 08:51 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by WhoCares
A bit later in the game, it can be useful to build "scanner outposts" further out.

That's good advice, they can be very useful, especially with the HUD link.

In my first run I used them, but in the second only one of my bases had one and I never used it smile But that doesn't mean they won't help.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4477011 - 06/07/19 02:22 AM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Getting farther along now....I've gotten the higher capacity oxygen tank, repair tool, and habitat tool, and I'm thinking about spending some of my materials to make a base. My inventory is getting full too often, and the floating storage lockers don't hold much. That and I have to leave the pod, grab materials from the storage lockers, and re-board the pod build things. Just gotta pick a good spot to do so. I've also repaired the radio, so I've gotten a few messages from other pods. I may go and them down before I do any building, just to keep my options open.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4477041 - 06/07/19 12:59 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yes, investigating the other lifepods is a good idea. Might gain a blueprint or two along the way. It's a mechanic to introduce you to various biomes, so new places to see, new creatures and most importantly, new resources!

Picking the first base location... so many possibilities. In both of my playthroughs, I built the first base close to the pod. First one directly below it, and the second about 50 yards away. As long as you stay in the shallows anywhere is fine, as you can easily get solar power. Any deeper though and you'll need a different power type, and since those blueprints probably haven't been located yet, the shallows makes sense.

I tend to look for some sort of shelf with deeper water next to it. Eventually you'll want to build a moonpool, and having it over a bit of water is good. If you plan to build a single base, consider building near a thermal vent. You can use solar now, and add thermal later to support all of the whizbangs your base will have.

A good view is paramount for me. The vista is a primary consideration. To the northwest there are nice cliffs beside the mushroom forest, with a thermal vent nearby. Never built there myself. Or to the SE where the Grassy Plateau, Kelp Forest and Shallows meet is another (with thermal vent) This was the spot where I built my second and main base in the first run. A nice location with deep water access for late game. I also built here in the second run, but then disassembled it to rebuild in the pink cave shown in the second shot. I try to choose a spot not near any stalkers or gasopods.

If you do build with a view to thermal, be aware that there are power relays that can be built, so the base can be quite some distance from the actual vent.

This was my first base (run #1) before the renovation and expansion smile

Quaint, innit?

[Linked Image]

And this was the main base from the first run. More was added after this shot, including a second moonpool. This is close to the SE Shallows thermal vent.

[Linked Image]

It has all of the stuff you can build, plus two separate stacks of multipurpose rooms on the top level, each with one room completely above the water so I could dry out from time to time smile

Another shot, along with the toys, from the other side in daylight. The second moonpool had been added by then

[Linked Image]

#4477072 - 06/07/19 03:10 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Looks cool. I'm thinking about something overlooking the kelp forest. The idea was to be able to have access to air without having to go all the way to the surface as well as having a place to store my stuff (which is getting to be an issue.)

What structures can I put wall lockers into? I tried to put one in the pod, found out that was impossible. Right now it looks as if all I have available to build are the connecting tubes (going from memory, I unlocked the habitation tool just before I called it a night) and a few other parts, nothing looking like the bigger spaces I see in your builds. I could be wrong, and I'll have more time to get into it tonight.

One of the escape pods mentions having issues with their SeaGlide. I've already scanned one of the pieces for that so I'm hoping going to that pod will give me access to it (don't tell me!). I got a message from another pod, but that one didn't give me a beacon, just a location relative to an as yet unfound pod.

Gasopods - are those the guys that emit the toxic yellow gas? They got me last night, I thought I was far enough away but apparently not!

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
-Robert Heinlein
#4477079 - 06/07/19 03:35 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Lockers can be attached to the walls of all of the base parts as far as I know. They can be installed in the tube-like section, the X-section and the rest. Never tried to put them on glass though. Anything you build can be quickly undone and you recover the mats. So you're free to experiment, or to build in one place, then pack it up and build it somewhere else.

Gasopods are those manatee-looking things yes. If you're quick you can simply grab their gas sack before they explode. Once you have a Sea Glide you can just zip away at the first sign of trouble. Crash fish evasion.

#4477084 - 06/07/19 04:29 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Good to know about building/recovering. I'll definitely be experimenting with that soon. I'll have to post some pics when I do.
Crash fish don't worry me too much, they don't deal enough damage to kill you, so as long as I don't have to deal with too many of them I don't worry. I've tried to kill them with my knife before they go off but either I'm not fast enough or it isn't possible to do.

-Robert Heinlein
#4477089 - 06/07/19 04:44 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, if only Elite engineering worked the same way!

#4477097 - 06/07/19 05:07 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Yes if only! I hope the mats here are easier to find!

-Robert Heinlein
#4477149 - 06/07/19 08:37 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by JohnnyChemo

Crash fish don't worry me too much, they don't deal enough damage to kill you, so as long as I don't have to deal with too many of them I don't worry.

True, usually. I mentioned earlier that I blundered in to a cave intersection that triggered three crash fish at once. That IS enough to kill you, as I can attest.

#4477218 - 06/08/19 12:47 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Got a lot of time in last night and made some good progress. I went to three other life pods, got the needed SeaGlide part scanned, and started a base a few hundred meters from my pod. I’ve also transferred all of my mats from the pod and storage lockers to the new base. I didn’t grab a screenie yet because it’s not quite done.

After getting the SeaGlide from the first pod, I did a little scrounging and got radio. Calls from another pond which sank near an underwater cave. Shortly after, I got another call from the First Officer of the Aurora, mentioning a rally point. The rally point was garbled but I was able to get the location of the pod it was sent from.

I travelled to the first pod and retrieved a PDA and scanned a few parts laying around then made my way to the second pod. This one was located in a very deep breath underwater cave. It was more than 200 meters down, so far down that my O2 supply wasn’t sufficient to get me down, look around briefly, and get back to the surface. I died and returned to me new base. I did scan a new higher capacity air tank, which I will at temp to build as soon as I can lay my hands on the Lithium needed. So far I haven’t found any in my scrounging, but I haven’t spent as much time searching around my base as I would like to.

My base so far consists of a couple of tube compartments, a fabricator, a radio, and storage lockers. It’s powered by a couple of solar panels, and it’s located just past the border between the Shallows and the Kelp Forest on an outcropping of rock about 40 meters down. Oh and I put in a window, it does have a rather nice view!

-Robert Heinlein
#4477223 - 06/08/19 01:53 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Good progress JC. Thanks for updating, it's fun to follow. The pod you mentioned in the spoilers is probably #19? That was my signpost on my route to and from my deep bases, so I know the trench it had fallen in. By the way, you can carry extra O2 tanks and swap them out. Be sure to equip and surface with each to ensure they are filled with air before diving.

Now that you have a Sea Glide your depth capability is increased. The speed will allow you go up and down much faster. And once you have a Seamoth your mobility is greater again.

And about your base... yes, lots of glass! They look so much better that way, for me anyway, especially at night. Gotta get your integrity up if you use glass. I liked the reinforcements, but foundations and bulkheads work too.

You're making good progress. How do you like the game?

#4477247 - 06/08/19 09:09 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Yes, pod #19 was the deep one, I think the other two I found were 6 & 3. I was going to experiment with bringing an extra O2 tank and see if I could swap them out in the water.

The game is keeping my interest so far (definitely worth what I paid, LOL). I think my plan for now is to do some more exploring and material gathering as well as revisiting all three pods I've been to for some more exploration. I didn't spend much time looking around in any of them (esp. the last one!) I'll take a picture of my base tonight regardless of its form and post it.

-Robert Heinlein
#4477306 - 06/09/19 02:35 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Focused on base building last night, and found a few new things along the way. First, the base in its current form.

[Linked Image]

A slightly different angle.

[Linked Image]

From above

[Linked Image]

...and coming home

[Linked Image]

Some details...

I found out the hard way that too much glass weakens the structure. The original base had a vertical tube leading to a glass compartment for the view. I also had 1 window in each of the solid tubes after the glass angled pieces. The base ruptured and began to leak. I quickly deconstructed all the glass pieces and repaired the damage (once I realized the repair tool just might do that!). I then pieced together the structure as you see it now, with two glass angled parts looking over the dropoff and entrances on each side of the base. I also put a beacon on it to make finding it easier. I can't use the keyboard in VR (I mean it won't work, not that I can't do it) so I may have to jump into the game in pancake mode and rename the beacon (and lockers too while I am at it).

Along the way, I picked up the blueprint for fabric mesh, so now I can make a radiation suit and head to the Aurora. I also crafted a rebreather, which I found will help mitigate faster O2 depletion when diving below 100m, and I figured out how to switch air tanks too. Now I travel with 2 high cap tanks. I noticed that when I put a fresh tank on, even if it was filled, it is never at full capacity when I switch tanks under water.

I also discovered a better water source than bladderfish. Bleach makes bigger bottles and they are the same size in the inventory, so now I've stocked up on those.

I also made a compass, which should make navigating using the map much easier.

Next up for me is to re-visit the pods I've already been to so I can make sure I've thoroughly exploited all there is there, being very careful with 19 (the one in the trench.) I may make a test dive down to it and back up to see how much air that takes so I can better gauge how long I can explore down there.

Attached Files 2019-06-08_00004.jpg2019-06-08_00003.jpg2019-06-08_00002.jpg2019-06-08_00001.jpg

-Robert Heinlein
#4477320 - 06/09/19 06:31 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
Johnny the O2 tanks don't stack if I'm reading your post correctly. Its just one high capacity or whatever kind of O2 tank that you can use at a time. The one you're carrying around in your inventory to switch out with the one your wearing, it doesn't work that way. Unfortunately its not an extra resource so to speak that you can use. Its just a redundant item taking up space in your inventory. You can only use one O2 tank of whatever version at a time and you'll only have as much air as the version type gives you until you go to the surface to get them refilled. When you get a Seamoth, jumping in the cockpit recharges your personal O2 tanks too. Its a little, mobile atmosphere and safe spot for when you really get to exploring deeper areas. But unfortunately you can't just carry extra O2 tanks with you like you are thinking, which is a good, sensible idea but the game doesn't let that tactic work in this world.

That being said, I never tried it so maybe they do let you do that and there's a way to do it? I don't think its the case though knowing how intricately designed the game is around the balancing of O2 needs with exploration/underwater risk taking and challenge.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4477329 - 06/09/19 08:28 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
You can only use one at a time, but you can switch them out. So if the tank I'm wearing runs low I can equip the tank in my inventory and I've got more. Like I mentioned, even though I fully tank up each before going under water, when I switch to the second tank it isn't full. I imagine the act of switching tanks causes some loss, so that could be the reason why.

I've only got one part of the SeaMoth scanned so far, so I'm still doing things the hard way.

-Robert Heinlein
#4477425 - 06/10/19 12:42 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Nice base JC. Futuristic. Looks like the base itself could take off and drive around with a bit of propulsion. For integrity I used reinforcements anywhere I didn't want to put a window or glass. Moonpools are good for this as I usually had no more than a single window, if that, and that leaves a number of spots for reinforcements. And if I did a stack of multipurpose rooms I would line the bottom one with reinforcement panels and that meant the upper floors could be all glass. Be sure to place the reinforcement before attaching lockers to that wall section, otherwise you have to unload the lockers, disassemble them, and then rebuild them after the panel is in place.

Sea Glide is handy, and I kept it on me throughout the whole game, ready to go on speed dial. But the Sea Moth is the thing that really opens up the map. If you can spare the space for a storage box or two it is even more useful.

I wish I could play this game again new.

#4477457 - 06/10/19 04:40 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
LOL you're right, it does look like a vehicle of some kind! My first reaction to the structural issues was to put in some reinforcements, but I don't have a source for one of the components yet (can't remember which one.)
The base is going to be slightly remade very soon, I've unlocked the scanner room and want to put one up. I also unlocked the laser cutting tool and found another piece of the Sea Moth - one more left to unlock it.

I was on my way to one of the pod signals to check it out when I ran across a debris field I hadn't found before. I spent some time poking around and found a big section that I could get into. It seemed like there was another room to it, but I couldn't access it. I'll return with the cutting tool and see if I can get in that way. Some of the debris was tough to get to, there were a few sand sharks flopping around in the area. They got me once or twice, but I think I managed to scan everything in the field.

I'm really enjoying the game, I'm glad I jumped into it.

-Robert Heinlein
#4477462 - 06/10/19 06:08 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Must be lithium you're short of? Those are required for the reinforcement. Lead for foundations and silicone rubber for bulkheads, and all need titanium of course.

I mostly just used reinforcement, but would sometime use a foundation for a Seamoth dock outside the hatch (see first base screenshot, second one has it as well) As long as it's touching another part of the base it will add integrity. I should have used some bulkheads, now that I've seen what they look like. Each time you add or remove a piece of the base the integrity flashes on the upper left of the screen, which I am sure you've seen.

Good to see you're enjoying it. I said give it 10 hours and you'd know. You're probably just a bit past that now eh? It seems you are making great progress.

#4477506 - 06/10/19 11:11 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
I used the air bladder early on which is kind of fun while you don't have good O2 tanks or vehicles yet. That way you can zoom to the surface with that air balloon. Unfortunately I don't find it useful anymore once you get some of the other gear. It also would have been kind of cool if they had a diver weight belt system to do the opposite. With your O2 full, be able to quickly fall like a rock to the bottom of where you want to explore with relatively full O2, giving you back the wasted time it takes to swim to the bottom, then drop belt and deploy your airbag when its time to go back up for air.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4477509 - 06/10/19 11:35 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted by DBond
Must be lithium you're short of? Those are required for the reinforcement. Lead for foundations and silicone rubber for bulkheads, and all need titanium of course.

I mostly just used reinforcement, but would sometime use a foundation for a Seamoth dock outside the hatch (see first base screenshot, second one has it as well) As long as it's touching another part of the base it will add integrity. I should have used some bulkheads, now that I've seen what they look like. Each time you add or remove a piece of the base the integrity flashes on the upper left of the screen, which I am sure you've seen.

Good to see you're enjoying it. I said give it 10 hours and you'd know. You're probably just a bit past that now eh? It seems you are making great progress.

Yes, I thought it was lithium but wasn't sure - I haven't seen it in game yet. I noticed the integrity flashes briefly, it would be nice to be able to look that up when I want to.

I have a little over 9 hours (9:13 to be precise), and you did call it. I know I'd like to finish it too, so I look forward to the rest of the story unfolding.

-Robert Heinlein
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.