Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 589 of 608 1 2 587 588 589 590 591 607 608
#4475452 - 05/25/19 04:07 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Dux:

Too bad, I had high hopes you would be successful. What works for one does not for another. It is the nature of individuals to have their own unique computer systems and system configs. Good luck with Win 7. I'm sure 33lima will also be disappointed about Win 10. We thank him for doing his best.

Windows 10 build 1903 will be coming this month to a computer near you. It has many changes, and in some ways it is a whole new Windows. We can hope for better support for older games once upgraded. Not that we will have a choice in the matter. This large May update will not be optional. After my most recent runin with a sour update requiring a setback to a saved restore point, I have every expectation of trouble with this one.

Some who were up there in the clouds with P51's said they could look a bit like 109's. I can't see how. Maybe the earlier versions without bubble canopies but it is a stretch in my mind. I never accidentally shot one down in any game. But even the best game is still different from real air combat.

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4475964 - 05/29/19 05:11 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

I am assured that the current temp of 91°F./33°C. combined with the current humidity level feels like 102°F. As those who have inadvertently picked up a red hot cast iron skillet with their naked hand probably exclaimed, "Wowza! That be HOT!" 🔥

Yes it is no longer spring and we are enjoying summer around here.It might be hotter where you live. We've had a couple weeks of plus 90° weather every day with very warm nights. Mercifully, most of these days were modified by low, low humidity. No me. This week, the humidity has risen daily. Folks are busy preparing their pools for swimming and by cutting fast growing lawns. 🌾

Sadly, I've recently been out looking for crispy, fried songbirds that may have fallen around our house. 😞 🐦

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4476045 - 05/30/19 07:34 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

It seems the most exciting thing I can report is a momentary lapse in the weather, back to fall or late winter. 12 -15 C or 59 F max.

The Indy 500 has been and gone and due to licensing and new TV deals between IndyCar and NBC. I couldn't purchase a view of the race. ´Nuff said.

Another fortnight and I shall be enjoying this year's 24 hours at Le Mans in front of the TV. The anticipation is almost the best part.

On my bike rides I frequently pass a place where Bambi and family reside. The other day I stopped the bike, got the camera from my back pocket, yes, please stay still Bambi & Co. but alas, as soon as I started pointing the thing at them, they were off. faster than I could believe.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4476059 - 05/30/19 11:11 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

A good day to you all. Weather wise we have entered Summer. Florida temps are 93F, but fortunately I am near enough the coast that I get a sea breeze and am under 90F.

I have been busy flying my newly painted airplane. I just finished an oil change. It is funny how our perceptions are. When I first got the plane, I was afraid to do any work on it myself. The first few years I had a mechanic do the oil change. Then my flight instructor buddy said we could do it ourselves. I was leery. But we did. I learned to run the plane to get the oil warm, learned the location and working of the oil drain valve, drain hose, cutting the safety wiring, filter replacement (just like a cars filter), correct torque on filter, refill oil, run up the engine and shut down to look for leaks, redo safety wiring, replace cowl and finally do the logbook entry. It all seemed a bit daunting. Now I think nothing of doing it by myself. Similar experience with brakes, air filter, alternator pulley adjusting, spark plug and magneto cleaning and timing, adjusting cable for carb heat, replacing fuel lines, etc.

My perception of “oh my God, this is an airplane” slowly changed as I gained experience and came to grips with “yes it’s an airplane, but mechanical workings are not different than a car or motorcycle”. The only two things that are really different is the usage of safety wiring and logbook entries. Even with the proper wire puller/spinner I seldom can twist my safety wire as neatly as a real mechanic.

Tuesday I am flying to Atlanta to meet Shan from this SimHQ forum. Have known him for over a decade. We have sent each other expensive shooting equipment by mail without worry despite never having personally met. But since he will be reasonably close in Atlanta I don’t want to miss the opportunity to make a face to face meeting. He is truly one of the good ones as mentioned in the Community Hall thread about Tom 20mm death. Losing Murphy and 20mm are markers showing how this forum has an aging membership. This will be the seventh member that I personally know.

I have developed a friendship and am getting some right seat time in a King Air 90. Flew to Marco Island for a weekend with five of us pilots. I try to fly every airplane I can.

And speaking of aging, I will be 66 on July Fourth. So I will be doing the paperwork for my Social Security. I will officially be an Old Man. I am not maintaining my physical condition as I should. I should be doing like McG. Get off my dead ass and bike. My knees are beaten up by all my military activity, but biking would be good. I just can’t seem to find it in me to do it. Just lazy.

And that’s what happened.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4476095 - 05/30/19 04:30 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

OG:

1953, eh? You're a real Yankee Doodle Dandy...born on the Fourth of July. My parents were married on that date but it's just not the same thing.

Maintenance wise, there seems to be nothing that is truly easy with a plane other than washing dirt off the craft. Much of which, by law, requires an expensive pro to perform; I assume for safety reasons.

Thanks for the interesting update and I sincerely wish for you a very Happy Birthday, in advance. 🎂 🎁

#4476135 - 05/31/19 01:59 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

JRT, right you are. There are things I would like to tackle, but am restricted by regulations. Fortunately my mechanic and I are also friends. So I can do some work which he will then check and sign off. But most work falls into the owner authorized pile. I am very fortunate to have a honey of an airplane. Reliable and trouble free. It just keeps on doing what it is supposed to. When it is do its Annual I always feel that “please don’t screw up something. Everything is good right now”. I have become quite useful at assisting in doing the annual.

My day sucked. I lost a filling today during lunch. The dentist I have been seeing for the last 12 years has developed some kind of health problem that causes his hands to shake sometimes. He says some days he is fine and others he has to take time and control the shake before working on someone. Well, that isn’t going to work for me. I now have to find a dentist who I am comfortable with. At least as comfortable as I can be with a dentist. I display a lot of nervous apprehension when I have to go. So here I am with a hole in my tooth and tomorrow will be searching for a new dentist. Yep, today sucked.

And that’s what happened.

Oh, by the way, we need rain. If not soon I may have to revisit my previous ceremonies.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4476179 - 05/31/19 03:23 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Well, we almost hit the century mark, temp wise, yesterday. Counties south of us, especially around Fayetteville, hit it hard. We saw our steaming thermometer register 99°F. / Wowza!° C. We anticipate temps in the high 80's today..... Yes, I'll have a heavy coat handy for that.

OG:

Searching for a new dentist may be a wise move. Make sure the new guy promises to "Pull the tooth, the whole tooth, and nothing but the tooth. There is nothing that sets my teeth on edge more than a dental appointment with my old dentist Ken U. Feeldiss. He's cheap but a bit behind the times these days. For instance, he still uses hand cranked drills. His elderly assistant, Ms. Anesta Sist is getting on a bit herself. Frankly, I think she is addicted to the laughing gas he uses in surgery. She laughs way too much when a patient screams.

In my opinion, there is something terribly wrong with the gas they use. It smells a bit of raw onion rather like the stink you smell just before the house explodes. Quite a few patients have been rather difficult to revive. I did type he is cheap, right? Ms. Sist continually reminds the good doctor to stop smoking when tending to a patient. Perhaps that is due to the gas being used? He seems to ignore her most of the time.

Hmmmmm. Looking back on what I've written; I think I'll look for a new dentist as well.

OK, I made all that up. My dentist was first in his class at UNC dental school. Oddly enough, his wife, who practices with him, (should they still be just practicing after so many years?) graduated last in her class. My dentist admitted that to me one day.... three patients who heard it, put down their magazine and tippy toed out of the building. That is a true statement.

#4476217 - 05/31/19 07:25 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Anyone for dennis? Finding a new dennis may ultimately be rewarding OG, especially when the old one is starting to get the shakes. Sorry about the bad spelling and the silly puns that start off this post, but I just couldn't resist. It is entirely the fault of Mr. John Lennon Esq. and his book "A Spaniel in the Works" in which he plays around with words.

Seriously though, some years back I had to change my dentist as the one I had sold his business and wanted to retire due to ill health and I was very dubious if I was ever going to find another one as good and trustworthy. The dentist buying into the old firm was in fact not a single practitioner but a large ensemble of dentists and assistants and I did not like the fact that the assistants were doing the routine jobs and the dentist only the actual dentistry, potentially handing my over like a piece of meat and making me deal with potentially two people on each visit. They even wanted to do a lot of root canal work so I bolted. But the next dentist I found was very good and pleasant and I'm very pleased that it is a small practise and not a giant and expensive operation that needs to do a lot of unnecessary an expensive work. I know a bit about these things I think, because several in my family were in the tooth business.

Anyway. Good luck with find a new dentist OG, I'm sure you'll find someone you'll come to feel comfortable with.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4476292 - 06/01/19 03:30 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Thunderstorm warnings were posted late yesterday. A benign yet stormy night was experienced last night.We had rain but very little fireworks. By 11 PM the show was over just as predicted. The cold front that brought the storms cooled us down. Current temp at 11:30 AM is 74°F./23 C. We'll enjoy temps in the 80's for a few days.

MG:

Referring to a previous post; I totally missed my favorite race, as well. I don't know if that was for the same reason(s) as it was for you or not. I was unhappy to have missed the "Brick Yard" event. It has been a long standing tradition to watch it. My late wife, who cared little for racing, finally started watching the Indy race with me. That was about a decade and a half before she passed away. She seemed to develop quite an enthusiasm for that race, especially if there was anyone named Andretti racing.

#4476814 - 06/05/19 07:18 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

JRT,

Regretfully, no joy with the BoB2 installation but I haven't completely given up on it yet.

I've been looking at the new release of Over Flanders Fields at $30 download or $50 for the CD. No mention of having to install it over Microsoft Flight Sim as previously which put me off it before.

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#4476828 - 06/05/19 10:16 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: Old Dux]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Originally Posted by Old Dux
Chaps,

JRT,

Regretfully, no joy with the BoB2 installation but I haven't completely given up on it yet.

Those more knowledgeable of these things or able to state the case or see the issues better than I can (which should include just about everybody here) might want to pitch in on this over at A2A. Might well be a dead end doomed to failure but we'll never find out unless we try, which could start with a show of interest sufficient to encourage action...

https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=68160

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4476919 - 06/06/19 04:17 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Tough luck my friend. I'm sure you did your best.

The new OFF sim without M$ required sounds great. Especially since you enjoyed RoF so long. I went the download route with CoD from amazon and had very little trouble. That resides on an old desktop in storage. This laptop has 8 Gb ram but it is not a gaming laptop. I plan to get a new desktop at some point. Try the link 33lima posted below. Good Luck.

#4476925 - 06/06/19 04:54 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Today we respectfully remember the 6th of June 1944 and the 75th anniversary of D-day. Less than 3% of the 16 million American vets of WW2 are still alive. Those living are in their 90's today or older.

I was born a couple of months after the landings in 1944 so what I know about it I've either read, seen in movies or on TV. Other than my wife's Uncle I have no "first Hand" knowledge of the event.

I do remember from my childhood "first hand" what it was like on the homefront during the Korean War. And, no, not the Korean "conflict", I'll always call it a war. Ask any survivor of Chosen if he thinks it was a "conflict". Some say that is the "forgotten" war. I worked side by side with vets from that war and, believe me, they NEVER forgot it.

IMHO, today would be an excellent day to sit with my grand children and watch episodes of "Band of Brothers" or, even better, "Saving Private Ryan". Zanuck's "Longest Day" is also good but not nearly as realistic or violent as the other modern movies. I do not recommend violent films for small children. Mine are teens and seem to know way too little about the American courage and great sacrifice in WW2.

Whatever we do to commemorate D-Day, let us remember those who were there on that day and especially those boys who fell. ✝

#4476980 - 06/06/19 10:00 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: Jolly Roger Two]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Two
Folks,

Today we respectfully remember the 6th of June 1944 and the 75th anniversary of D-day.

Whatever we do to commemorate D-Day, let us remember those who were there on that day and especially those boys who fell. ✝

Amen.

#4477030 - 06/07/19 10:43 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Well said Roger.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4477157 - 06/07/19 09:25 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

I just felt it needed t be said. If I had not you would have. Some of our younger or less historically educated may thing D Day is just de day they do laundry. 😞

I wonder where friend Fittop has disappeared to? It's been a while since he dropped by. He'll probably turn up before we organize the usual search party. I hope he is not feeling well or struggling with an illness. Perhaps he has just gone sailing? ⛵

#4477331 - 06/09/19 08:47 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Cloudy all morning and early afternoon. Rain came heavy about 2 PM. Temps in the low 80's F. today.

I watched a good movie about the development of the Canadian Avro Arrow this afternoon. Stars, of all people, include Dan Aykroyd in a purely dramatic role That was well acted IMHO. As it is a historical film it could not end happily, but is worth the watching. The film, shot in both color and B&W, shows why Ike was right when he admonished us to beware the "Military/ Industrial" complex. IMO Ike should have said "Beware the Government/Military/Industrial complex.

You'll agree, Canada's government of the time had much to answer for. Quite a bit of flying scenes. I think you will enjoy the film which will supply you with much food for thought.

Here is where to find the film on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PMnlnqRex4

#4477389 - 06/10/19 05:45 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all:

Been meaning to waste a minute or three of your time but got busy reading the happenings here and mine could not compare in interest.
I have been reading and cussing the net or the way some behave on the net.
OK, my (lack of) ability and pointed laziness are recognized as a factor.
Lots of reviewing has been done on what Dux, MG and JRT say about working with and playing in the net.
OG and 33Lima also always tug on the flying end of things.

Like others in the forum, I once drove from Paris to the Normandy and North areas.
It's a very impressive site in which one can not helped but be moved.
This time I made my remembrance from home.

The memorial week was spent planning, monitoring a return trip for the lady of the house who went to see her daughter in Illinois near St Louis, MO. She did managed to make it around the flooding and collapsing dam areas.
You might have read or see some of the weather and flood damage around the country.
To those of you affected, my condolences.

We have not escaped Mother Nature's temper here.

The son called to say that the common area to his complex was rendered unusable and almost destroyed by the strong winds that swept the city today. Some structures have been damaged
Trees have been uprooted, including a 65 year-old elm further down.

Tonight news has reported 300,000 are without electric power in the area and it will be late tomorrow before most of it is fixed.
For some reason the backup cyber power did not kick in and my PC shut down during the storm.
Hmm, the batteries check out as good.
But that's minor compared to those without power or air-conditioning.

#4477447 - 06/10/19 03:05 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Compared to you I can't really complain about a patch of unstable weather. Today's activities included disconnecting and disassembling my 25 year old Technics Hi-Fi integrated amplifier, wiping and blowing it for dust, giving it a few shakes, assembling and connecting it to the rest of the system again, wiping the connectors clean as well. Amazing how such a low tech. approach can result in such a spectacular improvement! The success was promptly celebrated with some music, and later a bike ride as the weather looked alluring.

Thanks for the tip re. the Arrow story Rog, I'll watch it tonight I think as the TV schedule looks a bit boring anyway,

Last edited by McGonigle; 06/10/19 08:03 PM.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4477628 - 06/11/19 04:29 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop:

There you are. I was wondering if the lady of the house had caught you taking a nap in a, so comfy, Hatteras brand hammock. Said hammock strategically placed right beside the lawn mower. Yes, a mower that was, for safety reasons, left still running....

Been there myself....once. After getting caught, once that was quite enough. 😄

I know what it is like to be without electric power due to our weather's favorable attitude toward welcoming in passing tropical storms and Atlantic hurricanes. It can take days, weeks, even months to get those ceiling fans turning again. Usually that is how I detect the power is back on if it is daytime. I wish all those folks good luck. Since, in most cases, the weather behind a hurricane is quite humid and hot, even an hour without air conditioning is miserable. That poses the question of how did we get along without them in the 40's and fifties?

MG:

A 25 year old amp? It would seem to me that you have successfully participated in that particular electronic reconditioning activity before. I remember the first time I had the intestinal fortitude to crack the box of my first desktop. It had worked fine for over 2 years without any intervention from me. Then I noticed the fan was getting clogged and the computer was running a bit hot.

I learned a thing or three about regular maintenance that day. When I opened the case I was not ready for the veritable potato farm appearance of the innards. I was surprised I found nothing actually growing in there as I vacuumed out the dust and tangled detritus from the thing.

It ran much cooler after a thorough cleaning. The tower had been on the floor where it had picked up the odd insect, dust, and anything floating about. Yes, regular maintenance is a very good thing.

MG, I hope you enjoy the movie. 🎬

Page 589 of 608 1 2 587 588 589 590 591 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.