Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4476208 - 05/31/19 06:24 PM Water Tiles - Janes F15 FIX  
Tigersharky Offline
Tigersharky  Offline

Hey folks,

Old geezer flight simmer, returning to play an old flight sim dear to my heart. I haven't been on these forums for a while, but I am stumped with an issue and I recall some of the best trouble-shooting coming from this old community.

I followed all the steps to get this sim running on 64bit OS, and I believe I hit all the steps out of the park! DirectDraw issue fixed for menus, and resolution adjustments with Glide Wrapper. All works well with a livable 20fps framerate cap.

BUT, the biggest immersion killer for me right now is this water tile bug. They are clearly defined as a checkerboard. No other terrain texture does this except water. Software mode does not do this, only during hardware acceleration.

I am truly hoping someone knows what the issue is, and perhaps there is a simple fix. Thanks.

Kind regards,

TS

Last edited by Tigersharky; 06/02/19 04:59 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4476227 - 05/31/19 08:18 PM Re: Water Tiles - Janes F15 [Re: Tigersharky]  
Tigersharky Offline
Tigersharky  Offline

Example of issue:

[Linked Image]

#4476412 - 06/02/19 05:26 PM Re: Water Tiles - Janes F15 FIX [Re: Tigersharky]  
Tigersharky Offline
Tigersharky  Offline

This post is for all those whom are trying to troubleshoot the terrain tile artifact.

Solution FIX:

From my google research, Sub-tile edge artifacts are a common bug with anti-aliasing. JF15 terrain texture tiles do not have the right opacity on their edges so anti-aliasing makes them stand-out on certain drivers.

If you encounter this error, when getting Janes F15 to work on modern machines, the solution is to disable anti-aliasing - or try your luck installing various driver versions.

If you are using nGlide for 3DFX emulation, leaving anti-aliasing set to“Use Application Settings” in your display adapter's panel and assuming it will resolve the terrain tile issue is incorrect.

Yes, the Janes F15 application does NOT have an anti-aliasing function in it's setup, so normally “Use Application Settings” would be fine, BUT nGlide has it enabled secretly in it's own makeup.

The nGlide application has a low level anti-aliasing which is always on, but hidden from the nGlide config panel (as of version 2.0). Not sure if other 3DFX wrappers do this too, so be mindful.

I had to go into my AMD Radeon display settings, and force it off/none through an override option; global override.

Problem is fixed. Cheers.

Kind regards,

TS

#4476418 - 06/02/19 06:39 PM Re: Water Tiles - Janes F15 FIX [Re: Tigersharky]  
Andromedius Offline
I Love Camembert
Andromedius  Offline
I Love Camembert

Nancy, North-East of FRANCE
That is indeed an excellent fix !
Funny thing is I'm currently revisiting Jane's F-15 and I found your post really helpful. Thanks a lot cheers

If I may add my two cents here, for those of you who want to have anti-aliasing without the terrain tile artifact you have to use dgvoodoo 2 in Glide emulation (obviously make sure you don't have Nglide active on your system) and then install Reshade which will allow you to activate SMAA+FXAA (and lots of others post-process effects).

The downside is the UI is displayed in windowed mode (for me it's located at the upper left corner of my screen) and you have to click on it each time you need it to be responsive. It is by no means an ideal solution but you get used to it.
The good news is that once you've launched a mission the 3D world (cockpit mode or external view) is just fine.

Here's what I got - please absolutely disregard the colors as I didn't tweak Reshade's settings except for SMAA. Obviously a lot can be done with REshade and some patience. Resolution : 1600x1200 via dgvoodoo2 menu for aspect ratio and pixel adequacy.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Fly safe,

Andromedius

Last edited by Andromedius; 06/03/19 07:19 AM.

'Au Royaume des aveugles, les borgnes sont mal vus'. Pierre Dac.
In the land of the blind, one-eyed men are badly looked upon.
#4476432 - 06/02/19 10:22 PM Re: Water Tiles - Janes F15 FIX [Re: Tigersharky]  
Major Dragon Offline
Major Dragon  Offline

If you’re looking for any missions I have most of what’s out there for F15 including the Korea set I finished a few months ago.

Email me at lee61156@aol.com

Dragon

#4476465 - 06/03/19 03:29 AM Re: Water Tiles - Janes F15 FIX [Re: Major Dragon]  
Tigersharky Offline
Tigersharky  Offline

Originally Posted by Major Dragon
If you’re looking for any missions I have most of what’s out there for F15 including the Korea set I finished a few months ago.

Email me at lee61156@aol.com

Dragon

Cool. I'll send you an email. You have them on dropbox?

#4476467 - 06/03/19 03:34 AM Re: Water Tiles - Janes F15 FIX [Re: Andromedius]  
Tigersharky Offline
Tigersharky  Offline

Originally Posted by Andromedius
That is indeed an excellent fix !
Funny thing is I'm currently revisiting Jane's F-15 and I found your post really helpful. Thanks a lot cheers

If I may add my two cents here, for those of you who want to have anti-aliasing without the terrain tile artifact you have to use dgvoodoo 2 in Glide emulation (obviously make sure you don't have Nglide active on your system) and then install Reshade which will allow you to activate SMAA+FXAA (and lots of others post-process effects).

The downside is the UI is displayed in windowed mode (for me it's located at the upper left corner of my screen) and you have to click on it each time you need it to be responsive. It is by no means an ideal solution but you get used to it.
The good news is that once you've launched a mission the 3D world (cockpit mode or external view) is just fine.

Here's what I got - please absolutely disregard the colors as I didn't tweak Reshade's settings except for SMAA. Obviously a lot can be done with REshade and some patience. Resolution : 1600x1200 via dgvoodoo2 menu for aspect ratio and pixel adequacy.

Fly safe,

Andromedius

Awesome. I am using SweetFX and enjoying the bloom, RGB and contrast filters. I'll post screens whenever I can. I just discovered you can do SMAA with that SweetFX plugins!
Should give ReShade a shot too.

Problem I am having lately is the fonts of the hud and 2d cockpit. They are only really readable at 640 X 480. If you scale it up, it gets garbled. Should make a new thread for that one... lol..

Thanks.

Kind regards,

TS

Last edited by Tigersharky; 06/03/19 03:34 AM.
#4476723 - 06/04/19 07:58 PM Re: Water Tiles - Janes F15 FIX [Re: Tigersharky]  
Andromedius Offline
I Love Camembert
Andromedius  Offline
I Love Camembert

Nancy, North-East of FRANCE
Soooo, I thought I'd get back to you with some more options mostly because my previous fix turned out to be a bust : visuals were fine but I got a game stopping bug because of dgvoodoo2 : the infamous double mouse cursor which prevented me to click on any button of the cockpit !!! Yeah, not that great indeed...

But being stubborn can sometimes work to your advantage and I think I may have found a workaround to the issue... The good thing is that you don't need to use dgvoodoo2 anymore (I really like the program but the less third parties apps, the better for running smoothly our sims).
In fact, all you need is a nglide-Reshade combo!

So here we go (and before this, all credits go to TigerSharky for mostly solving the bug - I'm only adding some tweaks to his findings) :
It is also important to mention I'm not running WIN10 but 8.1 64 and that I have a 1080TI in my rig.

1. Install nglide 1.01 : this version runs fine without any remaining AA.
2. Configure nglide accordingly ( I've selected 1980x1080 with 4:3 ratio).
3. Download Reshade at https://reshade.me/ .
4. Install the Reshade app --> select the F15.exe in the game's folder.
5. IMPORTANT : you need to choose the directX9 mode (forget about directX10 or Opengl) --> let reshade download the shaders.
6. Before launching Jane's F15, make sure there are no more AA selection in your graphic card control panel --> As mentionned before, you need to DEACTIVATE ALL AA.- DON'T CHOOSE THE APPLICATION CONTROLLED OPTION or you'll still get the terrain tile artifact.

If everything is okay you should have your version of Jane's F15 running with Reshade. You can now activate SMAA in the Reshade settings. It will act as a pretty good substitute to the classic AA thus allowing you to get a great render of the 3D world without the terrain tile bug.
Obviously, you can experiment with Resahde post-process options, that's the fun part !

Some words of caution, here : don't expect things to be hunky-dory each time you launch the sim. Reshade should work but there were instances where for some mysterious reasons (hey, we're talking about Jane's F15, here!) it wouldn't launch with the sim. I had to reboot my PC and everything went fine again. If the last version of Reshade doesn't seem to work, try older ones till you find a good one. I'm currently using version 4.1.1 instead of the latest iteration of Reshade.

A few Jane's F15 screenshots with some Reshade magic :

Cockpit view with fully functional mouse cursor (click-click-click!) :

[Linked Image]

Dawn patrol :

[Linked Image]

No more Sea/Terrain tile artifact :

[Linked Image]

So there you have it ! A not-so perfect solution but at least a viable one. Remember : your mileage may vary on this, but I think it's worth a try.
I can only hope this will be of some interest for those of you who are still flying the Mudhen...

Fly Safe,

Andromedius

Last edited by Andromedius; 06/05/19 07:59 AM.

'Au Royaume des aveugles, les borgnes sont mal vus'. Pierre Dac.
In the land of the blind, one-eyed men are badly looked upon.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.