Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#4476550 - 06/03/19 04:39 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by JohnnyChemo
It seems to literally drop you in the middle of the ocean and leave you be.

True enough, though I find that part of Subnautica's charm. Repair your radio if you haven't already. Radio messages will give you some guidance in the form of new biomes to check out.

Another player here was sort of stuck and we have been PM'ing back and forth with tips and pointers, so feel free to do the same if you want.

At this stage I'd say just keep exploring. Find ways to increase your mobility and depth capability. Keep an eye out for brain coral, which I find awesome in the early game to help you explore deeper water, it replenishes your oxygen to extend your dives before you have a submersible.

At the start I prioritize these items

Scanner
Fins
Sea Glide
Knife
Repair Tool
High Capacity tanks

Swim around with your scanner out and scan everything.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4476557 - 06/03/19 04:58 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Repair tool was my top priority (well, after food!), I figured there are some handy items in the escape pod that needed to be repaired, and the pod can be a base of sorts until I can fabricate something better. I was also thinking I would try to see if I can get into the Aurora and find some useful bits there as well, so crafting some sort of radiation protection gear would be something to do as well.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4476561 - 06/03/19 05:07 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
Yep, that's the way to do it. Just keep going at things and you'll find your progress starts to improve exponentially. I think the lack of tutorials or handholding is one of the things that keeps the game fun. While it's a lot to take in at the start, you'll soon get used to how things work (Maybe a few hours of gameplay). Then you'll start figuring out what tools you need and what you don't. You'll figure out where to get materials to turn into components, or what materials can be converted into other materials in order to turn into resources/equipment/tools you need.

Just keep at it and the pace picks up.

#4476569 - 06/03/19 05:30 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I will say this again - it looks fantastic in VR! Swimming on the surface is a bit meh, but under water is fantastic looking!

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
-Robert Heinlein
#4476591 - 06/03/19 07:10 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by JohnnyChemo
the pod can be a base of sorts until I can fabricate something better.

For sure, it can serve you well for a long time. But before too long you'll want more storage than you can manage there. And eventually you'll want to build things that cannot be in the lifepod. Plus, building a base is fun. But for now, all you need is the pod

#4476683 - 06/04/19 03:54 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Finished the game. A cool ending. I found the late game challenging, as the locations you need to go are not easy to find, the clues you are given are cryptic at best. But the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph, or something like that smile

I really like this game, how it does not hold your hand. It more or less forces you to figure it out. I know I have to find a certain location, but no clue where it is. That not only means all points of the compass, but the whole vertical component as well. Is it north, south or down? The only way to know is to keep looking. And when you do find it, it's very satisfying. Just about every game these days has quest markers of some sort, pointing the way to the next objective. In this game, I sometimes wondered what the objective even was, not to mention where it is. But I kept at it, and went places I really would have preferred not to, in search of whatever it was. The pieces began falling in to place, things I had encountered that remained a mystery were taking a shape, it all started to fit together and it propelled me through the late stages. It's not an easy game if you avoid spoilers. But when it ended, I felt good that I had seen it through.

If I had one tip it's to use beacons extensively. Seems obvious, but it's such a time saver when you can precisely navigate. Biome transitions, cave entrances and exits, thermal vents, resources, wrecks and whatever else you want to mark. Not only to find them again, but to mark routes to other locations, or to avoid threats. The lifepod beacons are useful too, after you've located the pod, to use as signposts, just turn 'em back on as needed.

Subnautica is an interesting game. It's really the only survival game I've played. It's part exploration game, part basebuilder, part resource gathering and management. It's beautiful underwater, and so foreign and fantastic. For me it was a treat, as it's entirely different from anything I've played. I found it engaging and interesting, fun and at times frightening. It's not for everyone, I've mentioned self motivation a few times in my comments. You need to pull yourself along. I found plenty to do, as aside from pursuing the story, I also spent time building four complete bases, and at times just going for a swim to check things out. But after finishing I checked the Steam achievements and only 6% of players have finished the game. So Subnautica manages to lose a high number along the way. I would suspect that the lack of tangible progress at times plays it's part.

I found it suited me, the sense of challenge pulled me along, as I wanted to see where it went. Deeper, yes, ever down smile

#4476685 - 06/04/19 04:21 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Rambler Offline
Rambler  Offline

Houston, TX
Wow, you're right. Only 6% have beat the game. Crazy. Would have thought it was more than that judging by all the time capsules in queue at the capsule voting site. Anyway, welcome to the finishers club! Quite the experience huh? Hopefully you watched through the credits, as at the very end there's a joke that goes back to one of the first things you hear.

#4476687 - 06/04/19 04:35 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I did watch the credits, and I seem to be a bit short at the mo as stranding doesn't pay well smile

I didn't know the capsules get voted on. Mine will never pass as it contains too much good stuff I reckon. Just thought I'd help out the next guy. But my capsule was better than any I found in the game. Didn't even know that was how it worked honestly.

#4476699 - 06/04/19 05:31 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
How cryptic! That certainly makes me want to dig a little deeper in! biggrin

I managed to spend a little more time in game, and wound up being able to find adequate food and water, as well as some other odds and ends. I crafted a scanner, I see its value. I've got a few items on my list I'd like to build, but need to find the mats for first (ie fins, bigger capacity O2 tank, repair tool, radiation suit), so more exploring is on the list. Found I had the items needed to make a battery, so I did. I can't use it for anything yet, but its a thing I have in my inventory now.

I don't know if its the event you alluded to, but there was an explosion on the Aurora. Not sure what that means overall, but it happened.

I'm glad this thread popped up, the game has been on my list of things I wanted to get to, and it gets a lot of love in VR circles (with good reason), so I'm glad this gave me the impetus to jump in, so to speak!

-Robert Heinlein
#4476709 - 06/04/19 06:55 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
Aurora explosion is basically the beginning of the first part of the game smile You're on your way to a good start. Keep exploring, make equipment as you need it to explore different areas. The Aurora is a good start, but take a few moments to look through the list of different things that can be made at the fabricator and see if there's anything you think you'd like to have or might need before you wander too far.

If you get bored with mission grinding you can always start setting up a base somewhere that's convenient. They tend to start pretty small in the beginning but as you get more mobile your bases will grow and become more spectacular.

#4476715 - 06/04/19 07:19 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
That's the plan. I've looked through the fabricator for items to craft and then my blueprint list on how to produce some of the components to those products. Now its just hunting time.

-Robert Heinlein
#4476772 - 06/05/19 12:53 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yes JC, that's what I was alluding to, though I removed that comment as perhaps it's a bit spoilerish. But yes, that opens a way in. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

#4476788 - 06/05/19 03:11 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I think I've found what I could in the shallower areas around the pod so I've been venturing into deeper waters. I found the creeper parts I needed for silicone rubber, so now I have a knife and fins. I'm starting to accumulate more than I can hold or store in the pod so I've started making storage lockers and stashing them around the pod. I also found out how to use the brain coral to replenish O2.

I still need to find silver so I can make a higher capacity O2 tank. I know what to look for, just gotta find it now.

Question - can I equip something in both hands, or just one? I've got something in my right hand but thought it would be nice to be able to put something in the other one as well.

-Robert Heinlein
#4476794 - 06/05/19 03:53 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
No just the one hand. You swim faster with nothing equipped as well.

Yes, brain coral is good as I said for extending your dives before you build a submersible. Like an air ladder..

You want to start a base soon as you can line the walls with lockers. Mine filled an entire multipurpose room, every space had a locker on it, all for different mats and labeled. Usually several for titanium. And each of my four bases had locker storage of course. I built a second seamoth with three storage racks just to use to transfer stuff to new bases under construction.

#4476796 - 06/05/19 03:56 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
You can usually find silver by looking around caves. You'll find other good resources in the same areas but the risk is higher so be careful out there.

Agree with DBond on the base building, you'll want to start building wall lockers inside a base as soon as possible so you don't have to rely on those floaty lockers anymore. You'll soon be accumulating a massive amount of stuff.

#4476798 - 06/05/19 04:05 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yep, and a base can be as simple as a tube or two with a solar panel for power. Of course once you see how it works you'll want to design more ambitious habitats. But that's enough to get started. If you see the first screenshot I posted, that's a decent sized one, but more than you need really. The mutlipurpose rooms (the round ones stacked together) are the best, but the blueprint is harder to find.

That base has 5 solar panels (each can store 75 power). You just want enough panels to keep the base from powering down while the sun is set. But even if it does power down for a bit it's really no trouble. It will come back online when the sun comes up. It has a moonpool, which can dock a Seamoth or a Prawn, and recharge it. A fabricator, a radio and maybe a battery charger when that was taken, about 10 hours in.

Alternatively, you can build near the thermal vents. There is one in the SW corner of the Safe Shallows and one on the north side of that biome, near where it joins with the Kelp Forest and the Grassy Plateau. Thermal plant blueprint can take some searching. But it's my favorite type of power since it's plug and play. Or is it fire and forget smile

In the Safe Shallows though, solar is fine. Once you go deeper you'll want an alternative.

#4476799 - 06/05/19 05:11 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Those bases look pretty cool, esp the 2nd one. I'll have to make sure I'm scanning debris as much as possible. I've only run across a few items that have given me any progress towards blueprints.

-Robert Heinlein
#4476801 - 06/05/19 05:24 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Wrecks and debris fields are the best spots for finding habitat-related blueprints, both inside the wreck and scattered on the seafloor around the wreck. As a bonus, if you scan a piece you've already acquired the blueprint for, you get two titanium for your efforts.

Yeah, that second base was cool. Neat location. I didn't show my fourth base, which I built in a singularly stunning location at 940m. But a screenshot would reveal too much and I thought it best that players discover it for themselves.

#4476813 - 06/05/19 07:04 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Fair enough.

-Robert Heinlein
#4476822 - 06/05/19 08:40 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

A bit later in the game, it can be useful to build "scanner outposts" further out. Such outposts can be as simple as thermal plant + scanner module + entrance. Benefit of those outposts is, that they help you find resources, wrecks and components, etc...

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.