Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 42 of 47 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 46 47
#4475587 - 05/27/19 08:16 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Lieste Online sigh
Lieste  Online Sigh

Just spent the weekend doing a swordsmanship event, and am so sore from around 8 hours of being in active work. (typically we have about an hour and a quarter active out of a 2 hour class).

Don't have many images, but this popped up from the last (distance and tempo training) class, where in this play my goal is to approach to a point where the opponent can *just* reach with his natural attack. A fairly tricky exercise as it is around a hand-span further out than my reply, where I would ordinarily seek to close to. The Gambeson is fairly well padded, and loose cut.

http://SimHQ.com/forum/tmp/16507.png

Also participated in my first (team) tournament, where I was able to put pressure on every opponent I was matched against, and although I didn't 'win' any of my bouts, I scored enough points to keep the contest open for more experienced tournament fighters to clean up in most of the remaining weapon pairings (I was doing steel 'sword in one hand' which isn't something I have studied extensively). We ended up with a close run semi-final but just missed Bronze, and had a really good match in that last fight, where I matched 5 points vs 5, but was a point behind on starting, so still technically 'lost' the bout.

Attached Files MayMelee-1.png
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4475622 - 05/27/19 02:59 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Last couple of years we have not had the swimming pool in the garden, combination of not being here and mice attacked it when it was taken down for the winter. So at the end of last summer we bought a slightly larger pool, still an above ground one, the last one was 20ft in diameter and 48" deep and held around 25,000 litres, we got it in 2006 so it has had a lot of use.
pool at our last house
[Linked Image]
We did find it too small as one stroke and you were across it smile
So a couple of weeks ago I started on digging out the foundation for our new pool which is an Intex 16ft x 32ft and 52" deep it is about as big as I could get in the garden where I wanted it to be placed, I have been digging it out using a combination of mini digger, shovel and wheel barrow and just now I'm awaiting the delivery of foundation material, about 7 tonnes of it, which I will have to move by hand, level and then pack it down.

[Linked Image]

Note the F-16 that has just taken off from KB airbase

So far it has been good, I have lost 5kg and am down to 87kg, I have had to put an extra tighter hole in my belt as my jeans won't stay up any longer biggrin

I had to remove about 16 meters of hedge to get enough room to fit the pool
[Linked Image]

So this little project should keep me in some exercise for a little while smile

Attached Files Pool1.JPGPool4a.JPGPool5.JPG

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4475743 - 05/28/19 03:34 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Am I understanding this correctly, that the large rectangle is going to be an in-ground pool dig?

If so, that's some great exercise you're going to get swimming laps.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4475744 - 05/28/19 03:46 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Lieste, where I live fencing is even more foreign and exotic than hockey (or anything that requires a slab of ice). As kids we all had fun playing pirates with sticks, you just get to keep playing it. smile

Soccer seems to have caught on though, at least with kids (I don't know anyone my age who knows anything about it).

The sun is in the east
#4475749 - 05/28/19 07:53 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

No Mark, it is going to be an above ground pool.

I have dug down to firmer ground and then back filling it with hardcore and sand which then I will level and compact it with a vibrating roller, I have 7 tons of hardcore being delivered tomorrow, because of the layout it wont be dropped in the pool area and I will have to shift it all by hand... and wheel barrow then I will level that and compact it for a thin layer of sand to go on top, then it is a layer of insulation and a ground sheet and after all that then I can place the pool on top of that.
The great thing about it was that we ordered the pool online at the end of summer last year and it was half price, as I already had a sand filter and pump I negotiated for them to exchange the sand filter for a chlorine generator, which they did, and then I paid for it all, I called them later to check all was ok and about delivery as the pool was too big for my little car, they said everything was fine and they had received payment and that I should expect the pool to be delivered later that week, it arrived next morning smile but when checking my account the payment had not been taken, so I called them back to check again and all was ok and they had received my payment, it is now more than 9 months on and the amount has not been deducted from my account biggrin

The pool weighs in at almost 600kg and it will have almost 60,000 litres of water in it so close on 60 tons sitting in the back yard once it is filled up, it is going to take a few days to fill

This is the pool
[Linked Image]

https://www.amazon.com/Intex-Ultra-...p_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

Attached Files ultra1632.jpg

Clan Cameron
#4475828 - 05/28/19 07:49 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I've never seen a pool that looks like that. 32' x 16' x 52" for an above ground pool? Wow! A bit bigger than the one in your first pic, eh? smile

The sun is in the east
#4475835 - 05/28/19 08:19 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Wow, I've never seen one that wasn't round! I like it!
I haven't fallen off the wagon, but when we all, one by one, got the flu, I stopped going to the gym to keep from spreading it. Got out of my routine and missed 2 months! I'm still working on getting back into it, and I lost a lot of ability in that time. I'm back to 3x a week, sometimes 4, but I'm getting back to the workout lengths, if not weight, I was at before. Diet is ok, but could be better. Going on 2 years without soft drinks though, and still just drinking water and coffee.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4476134 - 05/31/19 01:44 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I thought some of you might find this interesting...

Wife came home from work today with detailed info of how our health screenings/BMI/waist circumference is going to affect our 2020 health insurance through her company, and this ain't chump change we're talking.

Summary: At the extremes, we can receive a $500.00/year incentive or pay a $1,200.00/year surcharge.

==========
Complete Both Steps by November 30, 2019

Step 1: Know Your Numbers

- Complete a Free health screening at your work site, a local lab or your doctor's office.

(Completing Step 1 each year is a program requirement).

Incentive: $100.00 for you and $100.00 for spouse.

Surcharge: $50.00 per month if you do not complete Step 1.

++++++++++

Step 2: Meet the Healthy Outcomes Goal
OR
Complete a Healthy Lifestyle Program

- BMI less than 30
OR
- A 2-point BMI improvement over previous year
OR
- Waist circumference less than 35" women and less than 40" men

Incentive: $150.00 for you and $150.00 for spouse.

Surcharge: $25.00 per month if you complete Step 1 but do not complete Step 2.
==========

Eh, nothing kicks your ass into gear like getting (and not paying) extra $$$. Personally, I find these requirements to be fair (especially optional waist measurement over BMI).

The sun is in the east
#4476189 - 05/31/19 04:31 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Some people not happy, an addendum already made...

Spouses (that would be me in this case) are now being given an extra year to shape up, no surcharge until 2021 (but they can still receive an incentive for 2020 if they qualify). I'm going to make sure I qualify. biggrin

++++++++++

Let's put this in perspective (and I think BMI will be mostly ignored in favor of the more generous waistline requirements)...

A man with a 40" waistline will ultimately pay $850.00/year more for health insurance than a man with a 39" waistline. Multiply that x2 if his wife's waistline is 35+". That's a $1,700/year difference. eek2

The sun is in the east
#4476201 - 05/31/19 05:55 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I can understand incentives, but not surcharges. It's unfortunate that insurance companies pick on people with the appearance of being unhealthy, when they may actually have better habits than others that just don't show it. It's a slippery slope. This type of thing, the driving monitoring systems for "breaks" in auto insurance and whatever they come up with next. The monitoring will get worse and worse, all in the name of money, I mean "health", giving up more and more freedom because of insurance companies. Same with taxes and areas that want to tax selective sugar products.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
#4476219 - 05/31/19 07:42 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
cichlidfan Offline
cichlidfan  Offline

Woodbridge, VA, USA
My health insurance is simple. The older I get the more they charge. It sucks but if something happens then it ends up seeming cheap. I broke my wrist about 12 years ago and the bill would have been around $25,000 without insurance. In the end it cost about $2,000 and I have a wrist with a bunch of metal that helps me predict the weather. wink

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
#4476225 - 05/31/19 08:12 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
RK, the more I'm reading the fine print on this (6 pages), the fairer this policy/program seems to be, IMO.

The most important thing is to get the free (covered) annual physical which includes (according to the paper):

- height/weight
- waist circumference
- blood pressure
- blood glucose
- total cholesterol
- HDL/LDL cholesterol
- triglycerides

You don't even have to pass it to qualify, you only have to get it. The first (and biggest) penalty is simply not getting screened.

But about the size requirements...

Let's be honest. A man is probably not going to have good habits with a 39" waist. smile However, if he doesn't meet the BMI or waist requirements, he can still enroll in something called the Healthy Lifestyle Program (Complete "Real Appeal" OR Complete "Anthem Health Coaching"). I have no idea what any of this means yet (it's not described), maybe a health class like you take for bad driving? biggrin Whatever it is, I may want to do it regardless as I like this kinda stuff, and as long as it's free...

Also, if you don't meet the requirements and you can't do the Healthy Lifestyle Program, then you can still be exempt from surcharges with a note from your doctor excusing you from participating (so maybe it's a workout class?).

Again, it all seems pretty fair to me. There are other connected programs she's looking into (we normally do the corporate-sponsored 5k's and Amazon Dollars for steps, cost us nothing and we gets lots of cool stuff).

And I believe this is all tied in to her corporate discount (for both of us) to join the gym that I take my mom to twice a week. I don't need a gym, but their indoor heated pool is really nice and the people are mostly elderly and rehab patients (what they're known for) vs. muscle heads.

The sun is in the east
#4476238 - 05/31/19 10:27 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
A wellness exam is pretty normal, just a regular checkup. It's when they turn that info against you that I have an issue. Last year I even had a drug test included that I knew nothing about. YES I passed. LOL
Our insurance offers an optional program where a nurse practitioner will call and basically send printed material to advise about cholesterol, weight, heart, diabetes...whatever you're at risk of. That's fine and you can opt out.
Waist, weight, BMI...that doesn't give you a picture of health. 39" could be healthy as a horse. You don't know from simple numbers that person used to be 46" a year ago and eats/worksout better than ever before...and better than most out there that LOOK healthier.. wink There are a lot more risk taking behaviors that put a person's health at risk than those you can see on the surface.

Incentives are great. Annual wellness exams are great. Info is great. I draw the line at discriminating against someone basically based on appearance and shallow numbers as an excuse to raise rates. All I ask for is a baseline and then a positive approach rather than penalties.

#4476243 - 05/31/19 11:01 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Lieste Online sigh
Lieste  Online Sigh

It is a correlation game - insurance risk increases enormously in the group where waist size is more than 50% of height. This is a fairly tight correlation, unlike BMI which *does* vary more - fit people with a lot of muscle mass get high BMI with low population risk increase, while sedentary people with minimal muscle mass may be unhealthy at lower BMI - the *risk* still runs well with waist size, even though BMI is a poor measure.

I would note that 39" is a bad cut-off. It should relate to stature - for me at 5'5" a 33" waist is where the risk increase begins, and 39" would be extremely excessive - but for someone 6'8" a 39" waist is the threshold - and taller there is a bit more wiggle room again. Women should have the *same* waist thresholds as men (except when gravid).

Yes this will get it wrong for some individuals - but insurance is about "population" wide risk and the factors which drive changes... and waist size is strongly correlated with diabetes, stroke and heart disease, all of which can and are expected to be treated, and which are expensive to manage and treat long term.

#4476247 - 06/01/19 12:03 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Premiums based on statistical average is ok, as long as it can change. However, to base rates on average PLUS penalizing people for being in that group is an insurance company double dipping for profit.
Waist size is not an indicator of health. If I have a 39” waist now (no idea), it’s nothing like last time I had a 39” waist when my weight was going up. You get healthy then lose weight. You get unhealthy and put on weight. There is a point where basic stats can look the same but the actual situation is very different.

#4476278 - 06/01/19 01:48 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
A couple of disclaimers...

- Today (June 1st) marks my wife's 30th Anniversary with Georgia-Pacific, one of two jobs she’s ever had (the first being the grocery store she was working at when we began dating at 16). GP has been very good to us over the years and I know I’m biased with anything they’re associated with, including their corporate health care and these unprecedented changes in policy.

- Weight/size (BMI/waist measurement) can be a touchy subject and one I seldom discuss in real life except with a small group of like-minded people who have zero tolerance for Fat Acceptance and Fat Logic, only of continuing the difficult struggle. Discussing it online with people you don't know personally allows us to better speak our minds I think, and sometimes vent a little. The most important thing, and I think everyone will agree, is to never be an asshat to other people unless they do something to deserve it, which doesn't include spilling over into your seat or blocking the aisle with their mobility scooter. smile

I'll always have a food/weight problem, that demon won't just disappear after decades. And even once I acquire that 32" waist, I'm sure I'll struggle for the rest of my life to maintain it. This new health care incentive (and I look at not paying a surcharge as an incentive smile ) is just another reason for me to keep up the good fight. The more reasons the better, the biggest reason still being (no, not better sex wink ) living a pain-free life. Being obese is physically uncomfortable to painful and the hurting worsens with age.

Ok, that all said...

++++++++++

RK, the scenario you gave of a person improving themselves is covered by "2-point BMI improvement over the previous year.” For example...

Say a 5'-9" man (my height) weighs in at 300 lbs...
BMI: 44.3

To lose 2 BMI pts. in a year he'd have to lose only 14 lbs. to weight in at 286 lbs...
BMI: 42.2

The way I understand it is that he wouldn't get the incentive (BMI < 30 OR waist < 40") but he also wouldn't pay the surcharge due to his 2-point BMI improvement. [EDIT: I think now that he can get the incentive with proof of progress from a previous physical.]

++++++++++

Also you said...

"There are a lot more risk taking behaviors that put a person's health at risk than those you can see on the surface."

Yeah, like climbing Mt. Everest. biggrin But you can't ignore a problem which is visible just because some aren't.

Come on, RK. We both live in the Deep South and we know the problem is bad and only getting worse. What we need is a wide-spread change in attitude and education, enough for businesses like McDonald's and KFC to take notice (personally I prefer Popeyes).

Last edited by MarkG; 06/02/19 12:23 AM.

The sun is in the east
#4476295 - 06/01/19 04:18 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Sorry if I came across wrong, I’m not criticizing GP, more the “insurance conspiracy” I see more and more of these days. Too many jobs don’t even COME with insurance these days. I’ve been in that position before and it takes a very high deductible to get it affordable o your own. Same for businesses, but there needs to be a line we don’t let insurance companies cross to keep them from double dipping the excuses for higher premiums.

WE know how hard it is to lose weight the *right* way. Not everyone will do that, some can’t. I don’t want to see people getting desperate to lose weight for financial as well as health reasons. If the decision isn’t made internally, but due to penalties placed, it doesn’t stick. Many will go to unhealthy means to lose weight, defeating the purpose.
Who knows, they may over time, when the plan is accepted, drop that 40” to 39”. What’s an inch? Then 38” and so on. Like I said, it’s a slippery slope. Insurance companies can always come up with numbers to fit what they want to do.
Everest is clearly an example! LOL But so is riding a motorcycle. Riding one without a helmet. What does your driving record look like, and how many wrecks have you been in? At fault? Handling carcinogenic chemicals. Being around smokers, even if you don’t smoke yourself. How much does the person drink? Do you drink soft drinks? Do you consume more than 1500mg of salt a day? Do you eat your veggies? It will one day be really ridiculous and you’ll have to prove you do or don’t do these things.

#4476341 - 06/02/19 12:15 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Nah, I didn't take it that way, RK. smile I just wanted to make clear my position, that I might not be thinking so objectively about it. I'm just jazzed to have yet another reason to keep up the healthy lifestyle. Usually it's easy and sometimes enjoyable (oh man, tonight's panini pressed grilled chicken wraps with Swiss cheese, spinach, avocado, tomato, pickles and honey mustard are going to be outstanding!).

There's occasional damage from binge eating. When I fall off the wagon, I fall hard...on my head. smile However, one thing I'm getting right these days is to just let it go. Having a bad day (which is usually a bad night after wife is asleep) is not something I take into the next day or two anymore. And I don't try to make up for it either, I just forget it happened and continue the next morning on the good path. It just seems like you can fork up (lol) an entire week of progress with just one evening of really bad eating.

The sun is in the east
#4476384 - 06/02/19 02:19 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

The 7 tons of hardcore turned out to be 15 tons needed to fill the area, finished that last night and started to erect the pool today. but it is so hot here to day I can do about 20 minutes outside then have to retreat back inside to cool off. wife has refused to come out and help until it is cooler this evening.

[Linked Image] took that a short time ago I have the frame on and some of the legs but the heat just drove me inside.... where is the pool when you need to cool off, it's 31c in the shade here

Clan Cameron
#4476401 - 06/02/19 04:00 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

It's up all I need now is 60k litres of water

[Linked Image]

And I'm feck'n knackered!

Clan Cameron
Page 42 of 47 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 46 47

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.