Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4476196 - 05/31/19 05:21 PM R.I.P. Steve Blankenship - Long Live BMS and VR  
Sleepdoc Offline
Sleepdoc  Offline

Denver, St thomas, St petersbu...
I Love VR.

High Res Helmets are increasingly available

DCS F-16 will likely make Falcon 4 obsolete to the vast majority (although the die hards will hang on forever)

R.I.P. Mr. Blankenship, my dear old friend.

R.I.P. Falcon 4 - Long Live Falcon BMS

Hey BMS? make your install VR!!!

Sleepdoc

Last edited by Sleepdoc; 06/02/19 08:28 PM.

Sleepdoc

My typos are legendary. I choose not to correct them as a form of unique signature.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4476197 - 05/31/19 05:27 PM Re: R.I.P. Falcon 4 [Re: Sleepdoc]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Can I haz your stuff?

DCS F-16 will likely make Falcon 4 obsolete to the vast majority

rofl

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4476249 - 06/01/19 12:29 AM Re: R.I.P. Falcon 4 [Re: Sleepdoc]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted by Sleepdoc
I Love VR.

DCS F-16 will likely make Falcon 4 obsolete to the vast majority (although the few die hards wont openly admit it)

R.I.P. Mr Blankenship, my dear old friend.

R.I.P. Falcon 4

Sleepdoc

A while back, E.D. ran a poll on their forums, and the top item desired by their participating customers was a Dynamic Campaign. Until such time as E.D. delivers an effective D.C., I suspect you will find more than a "few die hards" will maintain a higher loyalty to BMS / Falcon 4. Especially when one factors in the people who are disenchanted with E.D.'s module completion rate, etc.

No doubt, E.D. will sell plenty of copies of the F-16 module. In and of itself, that doesn't mean that all of those folks who were previously BMS users are going to abandon BMS. Some will, I imagine... but to project that out to the BMS / F4 community as a whole? That seems to me to be too much of a stretch as things currently stand.

#4476269 - 06/01/19 10:36 AM Re: R.I.P. Falcon 4 [Re: Sleepdoc]  
Phoenix54C Offline
I am just a cowboy
Phoenix54C  Offline
I am just a cowboy

Emerald Isle
Yeh

Gimme some of that stuff as well?

Falcon 4 has a PLAYGROUND built into it that puts DCS to shame...

DCS modules LOOK amazing but a set of scripted missions put their overpriced modules in the back seat.

Most falconeers will buy and try but after a while they will run back to F4 because the module is USELESS without a proper playground to enjoy it in.

#4476294 - 06/01/19 04:08 PM Re: R.I.P. Falcon 4 [Re: Phoenix54C]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Really, what's the purpose of this thread or more precisely the purpose of the Op's??

If you the OP (Sleepdoc) think that will say goodbye to Falcon BMS and dedicate to solely to DCS, what's the purpose of posting that specially soon after BMS releasing the latest version which adds even more features that are "light years" ahead of what DCS has (more on that below)??
Are you the OP by any chance an ED employee and a "die-hard" fanboy and the purpose of this thread/post of yours is doing some DCS advertising?? It sure looks like that to me...

Originally Posted by Phoenix54C

Falcon 4 has a PLAYGROUND built into it that puts DCS to shame...

DCS modules LOOK amazing but a set of scripted missions put their overpriced modules in the back seat.

Most falconeers will buy and try but after a while they will run back to F4 because the module is USELESS without a proper playground to enjoy it in.

Absolutely!
I imagine that with "PLAYGROUND" you mean the Dynamic Campaign, right?

What's even more interesting regarding BMS is that with the latest version the IFF and ATC modeling is "light years" ahead of DCS (with a level of detail that we probably won't ever see in DCS).

#4476307 - 06/01/19 05:33 PM Re: R.I.P. Falcon 4 [Re: Sleepdoc]  
schnidrman Offline
Jason Schneider
schnidrman  Offline
Jason Schneider

Kansas City, Missouri
I Love VR.

DCS F-16 will likely make Falcon 4 obsolete to the vast majority (although the few die hards wont openly admit it)

R.I.P. Mr Blankenship, my dear old friend.

R.I.P. Falcon 4

Sleepdoc

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
#4476314 - 06/01/19 07:01 PM Re: R.I.P. Falcon 4 [Re: Sleepdoc]  
Phoenix54C Offline
I am just a cowboy
Phoenix54C  Offline
I am just a cowboy

Emerald Isle
@ ricnunes

Yeh by playground i mean the Dynamic Campaign...

Ive already got DCS F15C and Georgian campaign,
and i have to say that it was worth the 20 bucks i paid.

But that will be the last module i will get until i see a proper Dynamic Open ended campaign with which to fly these modules in.

#4476320 - 06/01/19 07:43 PM Re: R.I.P. Falcon 4 [Re: Sleepdoc]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Phoenix, DCS DynCamp with current radio protocol would drive me insane.
I get borderline whacko from just taxi-takeoff as it is today (it seriously puts me in a bad mood/temper).

I think ED will need 16 years hard work before they even reach what radio-talk we have today in BMS.

DCS F-16C?
No thanks.

I'd say anyone selecting DCS F-16C over BMS hasn't really understood BMS after all these years (or is a covert FSX e-pilot in for the looks).

SleepDoc, have fun waiting for core systems the coming years, I'm sure you will take numerous screenshots meanwhile.

#4476325 - 06/01/19 08:04 PM Re: R.I.P. Falcon 4 [Re: Sleepdoc]  
Phoenix54C Offline
I am just a cowboy
Phoenix54C  Offline
I am just a cowboy

Emerald Isle
Agreed,

And these newer modules are a disgraceful price for what little you get.

BMS FA18 is FREE...

Shows us the way its all gone huh?

#4476328 - 06/01/19 09:00 PM Re: R.I.P. Falcon 4 [Re: Sleepdoc]  
Sleepdoc Offline
Sleepdoc  Offline

So......

I admit it was a bit of a troll. But only in good fun.

Ill explain.....

1. BMS has kept this community together for many years. No one can touch that. Its a true tribute to the man i mentioned. He had undying respect for BMS

2. I wrote the first published manual in 1998 (i think it was?? #%&*$#. Its been long) on how to build missions in the mission builder. THE DYNAMIC CAMPAIGN was (and is) a truly artistic and passionate commitment to the art of the sim. So i was part of F4 community in my day. But no more. 2 kids, age, etc.

3. That 36 page attempt at a user manual for the mission builder got a guy named Steve Blankenship to call me. Any one know who that is? Anyone remember his name? His call led to us becoming life long friends. But thats just a small part of this post.

4. The important part of my post was really addressed to Steve. He passed from cancer suddenly a few years back. Before that, he was my nightly coop mission wingman in F4 and any other “SOMEWHAT serious” coop game we could get our hands on. GRAW, that sniper game, rainbow 6 etc. He was rock solid on CAP, ground attack and bounding overwatch (Rainbow etc)

5. Now that he has long passed, he probably wouldn't mind me hinting at his secret. Lets just say that the iBeta realism patch and BMS wouldn't exist without him. All the rest of us that have benefitted from his giving nature should wish him, alongside me, a great rest in peace. He was an incredible guy who cared as much about Falcon as any of us. Maybe even just a tad more.

6. The VR part is just a personal thing. I had not spoken to him for about 2 years after i got my HTC Vive. Then this awesome sub sim (coop) came out. I had talked him into upgrading more than a few times in our years as coop players and i needed him to get on board and buy one. When i reached out, i learned he had passed. I was crushed.

7. I love VR. I get that you guys love dynamic campaigns. I respect that. You are honoring his memory more than you know.

Look him up. Remember him. He gave BMS the greatest gift of all.

RIP Steve.

Respectfully,

Sleepdoc

Sleepdoc

My typos are legendary. I choose not to correct them as a form of unique signature.
#4476349 - 06/02/19 01:40 AM Re: R.I.P. Falcon 4 [Re: Sleepdoc]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Isn 't Steve Blankenship the guy who designed Falcon 4.0?

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#4476366 - 06/02/19 11:10 AM Re: R.I.P. Falcon 4 [Re: Pooch]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted by Pooch
Isn 't Steve Blankenship the guy who designed Falcon 4.0?

Designed and produced, along with Gilman Louie.

#4476410 - 06/02/19 05:00 PM Re: R.I.P. Falcon 4 [Re: Sleepdoc]  
sobe Offline
sobe  Offline

Bend, OR USA
Sleepdoc

I love to read all the flame wars that are caused by anyone who attacks BMS/Falcon. They keep me laughing in my retirement years in Oregon.

I don't know if you remember me, but we flew together a few times when you lived in Miami as a resident and I lectured on employment contracts for docs.

Trackir4, Win10 Pro 64Bit, Intel(R) Core i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset, DDR3 8GB Ram,AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Monitor 2 on right 1280x1024
#4476417 - 06/02/19 06:24 PM Re: R.I.P. Falcon 4 [Re: Sleepdoc]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
"Su-27 Flanker was a runner-up for Computer Gaming World's 1995 "Simulation of the Year" award, which ultimately went to EF2000."

"PC Gamer US nominated Flanker 2.0 for its 1999 "Best Simulation" award, but it lost to MiG Alley."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Su-27_Flanker_(video_game)

Hmm. What did EF2000 and MiG Alley have that 'Flanker' still doesn't have after almost a quarter of a century? biggrin

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4476424 - 06/02/19 08:21 PM Re: R.I.P. Falcon 4 [Re: sobe]  
Sleepdoc Offline
Sleepdoc  Offline

Originally Posted by sobe
Sleepdoc

I love to read all the flame wars that are caused by anyone who attacks BMS/Falcon. They keep me laughing in my retirement years in Oregon.

I don't know if you remember me, but we flew together a few times when you lived in Miami as a resident and I lectured on employment contracts for docs.

Hi Sobe,

Sure I remember you. How are you? I'm in Denver these days with a wife, kids, a mortgage, a couple of tech companies (yep... no more medicine) ... you know... no time to retire yet....and sadly, no time for real sims like Falcon. I'm relegated to 30-minute sessions of VR games one a week if I'm lucky.

To be clear, I wasn't trying to start or engage in a flame war. I respect the hell out of BMS. Was just having a little nostalgic fun, sharing my enthusiasm for the deep immersion of VR, and remembering my old buddy Steve. His death came as a true shock to me.

I changed my original Post title and content to make it more respectful to Steve and BMS. My humor is often hard to see....

I have no doubt that the passion and intellectual prowess of the BMS guys are just as high as any other group that came before them. And since they hung on longer than any other group that came before them, their contribution is likely greater in volume and iterative improvement (all software needs refactoring and rethinking)

and BTW. when I referred to his "secret gift" to this community, I wasn't talking about the fact that he was the producer of the sim. He was paid for that... and that was no secret.

<wink>

Wish I could just have one more flight with you, Steve.

Sleepdoc

Last edited by Sleepdoc; 06/02/19 08:26 PM.

Sleepdoc

#4476554 - 06/03/19 04:45 PM Re: R.I.P. Steve Blankenship - Long Live BMS and VR [Re: Sleepdoc]  
cdelucia Offline
cdelucia  Offline

Pittsburgh, PA
Falcon 4.0 entry on Wikipedia:
"The game was originally designed and produced by Steve Blankenship and Gilman Louie and published under the MicroProse label."

You're lucky to have known/flown with him.

#4476626 - 06/04/19 12:42 AM Re: R.I.P. Falcon 4 [Re: Sleepdoc]  
schnidrman Offline
Jason Schneider
schnidrman  Offline
Jason Schneider

Kansas City, Missouri
To be clear, I wasn't trying to start or engage in a flame war.

I don't think it got close to that... biggrin

It's old hat and once every two years or so, someone comes along and says it. We wouldn't be doing our duty to the creators if there wasn't a bit of kick back from such blasphemy. kneeldown

Who's to say that posts like these aren't what keeps the gears grinding sometimes? I truly believe however, that the Devs just do it purely out of their own satisfaction and if they ever tire of it or worse, pass on...then that will be when Falcon will truly die.

But on a happier note 4.35 will be out in 3-4 weeks! exitstageleft

[Linked Image]
#4476636 - 06/04/19 02:36 AM Re: R.I.P. Falcon 4 [Re: Sleepdoc]  
piper Offline
Veteran
piper  Offline
Veteran

Raleigh,NC
The more I play with 4.34 the more I'm impressed. BMS folks put a heck of a lot of goodness into it.

One of the little touches I just love is the visor effect. I can now actually see the HUD on a sunny day.
Again, a little thing, but it mattered to me, and they came up with such an elegant solution to the problem.

#4476739 - 06/04/19 10:30 PM Re: R.I.P. Steve Blankenship - Long Live BMS and VR [Re: Sleepdoc]  
cdelucia Offline
cdelucia  Offline

Pittsburgh, PA
"4.35 will be out in 3-4 weeks" <-- Do tell wink

#4476742 - 06/04/19 11:48 PM Re: R.I.P. Steve Blankenship - Long Live BMS and VR [Re: Sleepdoc]  
Juggernaut Offline
Juggernaut  Offline

So......

I admit it was a bit of a troll. But only in good fun.

Ill explain.....

5. Now that he has long passed, he probably wouldn't mind me hinting at his secret. Lets just say that the iBeta realism patch and BMS wouldn't exist without him. All the rest of us that have benefitted from his giving nature should wish him, alongside me, a great rest in peace. He was an incredible guy who cared as much about Falcon as any of us. Maybe even just a tad more.

RIP Steve.

Respectfully,

Sleepdoc

Hi,

Well, did we ever find out who leaked the source code?

Juggernaut

Daddy Versus the Squirrels - a children's book!
See the true story and a FREE preview: www.daddyversus.com
Buy on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s?field-keywords=daddy+versus+the+squirrels
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.