Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#44739 - 09/02/01 04:54 PM WWWII questions.  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello again Lt. Col. Thanks for your reply.

I only want to know, to learn, to discover, .. planes fascinates me.

Now, when the USAAF developed and introduced in WWWII the P-47C (i think) this plane seemed to be strong and quick. Did it have a cockpit heating for high altitude flight? german fighters didn´t? What´s optimum and maximum range to fire against a foe with it? How managed american pilots against superior climbing speed of 109sG. This plane had a better performance at high altitude and it wasn´t good for dogfight at lower ones ¿no?. What´s consider high altitude, medium and low?

When you chase another fighter behind its tail and he knows and it´s trying to shake you it´s difficult to follow him? Has the plane technical data performance importance in this question, or in dogfight the most important is pilot skills than the plane?

In close turning (horizontal turns) with these ones are the G-forces dangerous?

Regards, Johann.

------------------

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#44740 - 09/02/01 05:39 PM Re: WWWII questions.  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
Hi Johann

I'm not an expert on the P-47. It did have cockpit heating, cooling, and defogging controls. For specific answers to performance questions, try the Aces High website. You will find graphs and charts that show climb performance as well as folks that can help with your questions. Try the Aircraft and Vehicles Forum:

http://www.hitechcreations.com/ubbframe.html

It is difficult to stay in a good firing position when chasing a plane that is being flown well. The gun attack is very complex and the target does not have to do much to spoil the attacker's aim.

The attacking pilot must have a good maneuvering aircraft and he must be proficient in BFM. If either is missing, then the attacker's ability to stay behind the target is going to be much harder. Here's a rough estimation...if the attacker's airplane is inferior in performance to the target aircraft, then the attacker needs to be at least as good as the defending pilot...and perhaps even better in BFM if the attacker is going to win. Conversely, if the attacker has a better aircraft, then he may be able to win even if his BFM skills were less than his opponent's.

Andy

Moderated by  Andy Bush, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.