Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#4472911 - 05/04/19 03:07 AM Re: NHL Playoffs [Re: WangoTango]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
I remember when Kenny Linesman from the Edmonton Oiler's was known as "The Rat" (showing my age there). He actually was one of my favorite childhood players. Marchand is just an a$$. All season long, Boston had their PR people trying to clean up his image, only for him to show his real colors in the playoffs. I think the NHL players voted him "the most punch able face in the league" last year. I'm sure he won again this year.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4472963 - 05/04/19 03:55 PM Re: NHL Playoffs [Re: WangoTango]  
462cid Offline
462cid  Offline

USA
Marchand's in the wrong. But don't act like other players have not or will not play like that. I don't excuse him one bit of his antics. He's a heck of a hockey player and he has a dirty streak. Lots of players do, and the focus on Marchand is, simply, becasue he's a smallish player with an unusual face and you love to hate him for various reasons. That's just the facts, don't make it more than it is, and don't make his behavior more than it is. The whack to the back of the head? You've all seen it, none of you like it, and that's something that happens in the competitive game. No different from getting an anonymous punch while in a scrum. Hell I've played 'friendly' games where brothers on different teams start high sticking each other throat high.

Marchand's dirty play is not heroic, it's not something to admire, and it's not really that unusual. Guys, stop getting so wrapped around the axle. I read some Canadian coverage that is going bananas over it. Really? It's bad behavior, it was worthy of a minor, maybe a double minor, for unsportsmanlike. And we see minors all the time. And we see minors missed a dozen times a game.

I'll never ask you to defend dirty play and it was a dirty play. But I do expect the hockey conscious among us to categorize it appropriately- poor individual play, selfish play, unnecessary play, and play that could haunt the team later, as well as dirty. But that's all. And don't tell me he's a repeat offender. If he wasn't, it wouldn't even be discussed. This "he looks like a rat" mumbo-jumbo? It's beneath you KanuK. He didn't choose his looks any more than you did. Pick something legit please.

Big game today and I hope one of the elite players on the Bruins gets his head screwed on straight. Frustration isn't a good excuse, he's a pro. Go Bruins.

What kind of car is that? What does it matter? When I drive it, I'm Steve McQueen
#4472981 - 05/04/19 08:12 PM Re: NHL Playoffs [Re: 462cid]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by 462cid
Marchand's in the wrong. But don't act like other players have not or will not play like that. I don't excuse him one bit of his antics. He's a heck of a hockey player and he has a dirty streak. Lots of players do, and the focus on Marchand is, simply, becasue he's a smallish player with an unusual face and you love to hate him for various reasons. That's just the facts, don't make it more than it is, and don't make his behavior more than it is. The whack to the back of the head? You've all seen it, none of you like it, and that's something that happens in the competitive game. No different from getting an anonymous punch while in a scrum. Hell I've played 'friendly' games where brothers on different teams start high sticking each other throat high.

Marchand's dirty play is not heroic, it's not something to admire, and it's not really that unusual. Guys, stop getting so wrapped around the axle. I read some Canadian coverage that is going bananas over it. Really? It's bad behavior, it was worthy of a minor, maybe a double minor, for unsportsmanlike. And we see minors all the time. And we see minors missed a dozen times a game.

I'll never ask you to defend dirty play and it was a dirty play. But I do expect the hockey conscious among us to categorize it appropriately- poor individual play, selfish play, unnecessary play, and play that could haunt the team later, as well as dirty. But that's all. And don't tell me he's a repeat offender. If he wasn't, it wouldn't even be discussed. This "he looks like a rat" mumbo-jumbo? It's beneath you KanuK. He didn't choose his looks any more than you did. Pick something legit please.

Big game today and I hope one of the elite players on the Bruins gets his head screwed on straight. Frustration isn't a good excuse, he's a pro. Go Bruins.

Don't try and normalize his behavior. Marchand has a long history of idiotic infractions, fines and suspensions. Name me 5 current players that are comparable to him in that area ? Kadri, who else ? #%&*$# the Bruins.

#4472988 - 05/04/19 08:55 PM Re: NHL Playoffs [Re: WangoTango]  
462cid Offline
462cid  Offline

USA
Didn't say it was the norm. Or that is was common. Said it happens. You didn't read very far before emotion took over. You're also belligerent for no good reason here.

If this is a player bashing or team bashing thread, then frankly, grow up and #%&*$# t you. Got no time for it. You're supposed to be an adult.

What kind of car is that? What does it matter? When I drive it, I'm Steve McQueen
#4472991 - 05/04/19 09:59 PM Re: NHL Playoffs [Re: WangoTango]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
I can't stand it when people make excuses for that Rat Marchand. I'll bash him all day long if I want 462cid. He's one of the dirtiest players in the league, he did something dirty(and cowardly) AGAIN, so it is very relevant to this playoff thread. I don't care if you don't approve. BTW, you are a Bruins fan, so perhaps you are seeing things through black and gold glasses ?

#4473155 - 05/06/19 01:13 PM Re: NHL Playoffs [Re: LB4LB]  
Top Gun Offline
Lifer
Top Gun  Offline
Lifer

Roch-Vegas NH
Originally Posted by LB4LB
I remember when Kenny Linesman from the Edmonton Oiler's was known as "The Rat" (showing my age there). He actually was one of my favorite childhood players. Marchand is just an a$$. All season long, Boston had their PR people trying to clean up his image, only for him to show his real colors in the playoffs. I think the NHL players voted him "the most punch able face in the league" last year. I'm sure he won again this year.

We had him in Boston for a while, I liked his role better than Marchand who I just can't stand.

#4473159 - 05/06/19 01:24 PM Re: NHL Playoffs [Re: WangoTango]  
Top Gun Offline
Lifer
Top Gun  Offline
Lifer

Roch-Vegas NH
Originally Posted by WangoTango
I can't stand it when people make excuses for that Rat Marchand. I'll bash him all day long if I want 462cid. He's one of the dirtiest players in the league, he did something dirty(and cowardly) AGAIN, so it is very relevant to this playoff thread. I don't care if you don't approve. BTW, you are a Bruins fan, so perhaps you are seeing things through black and gold glasses ?

So WT, do you feel the same about the cheap shot hits to the heads from players? I hated Subban back in his Habs days, he was a cheap shot artist and would never drop the gloves...

Here's a list of more dirty players, I totally agree with Sidney Crosby, that b!tch is protected by the NHL because of his status. I miss the days of Cam Neeley who was a 50 goal scorer and would drop and pummel anyone.

XboxLive Tag: DOBrienTG1969

Dave O'Brien,
Top Gun Photography
Nikon D500 & D7200
Nikkor 70-200VR AF-s F/2.8
Sigma 50-500 & 17-50 F2.8
Sigma 150-600
#4473163 - 05/06/19 01:39 PM Re: NHL Playoffs [Re: WangoTango]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
TG, who is the b!tch, Crosby or Marchand?

Last edited by KraziKanuK; 05/06/19 01:40 PM.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4473175 - 05/06/19 03:18 PM Re: NHL Playoffs [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Top Gun Offline
Lifer
Top Gun  Offline
Lifer

Roch-Vegas NH
Originally Posted by KraziKanuK
TG, who is the b!tch, Crosby or Marchand?

both because I've never seen Marchand drop his gloves either... I hate players that pull that crap.

#4473181 - 05/06/19 03:44 PM Re: NHL Playoffs [Re: WangoTango]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Roger that.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
#4473182 - 05/06/19 03:51 PM Re: NHL Playoffs [Re: WangoTango]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Whenever two guys start pushing and shoving each other, other guys jump right in and start grabbing guys from behind. Even when two guys start to fight, other guys jump in with face wash's from behind. I think the smaller players (and so called "stars") know that they can start something and never have to worry about finishing it. Even the refs jump in an immediately, getting in the middle of it now. Marchand knows darn well he can take all the pot shots he wants to, and he won't have to square up with anybody. It's one of the bad parts of the modern NHL.

Side note:

I just heard that Ken Holland is now the GM of the Edmonton Oilers. His first act will be to sign Milan Lucic to a 10 year $150 million dollar contract extension. LOL. Maybe they will take Blashil too.

Last edited by LB4LB; 05/06/19 04:01 PM.
#4473185 - 05/06/19 04:07 PM Re: NHL Playoffs [Re: Top Gun]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
I hate cheap shots, period. Especially from smaller players who know their bigger teammates will jump in and save their butt. I'm a Leaf fan, and I could not stand Darcy Tucker for this reason.
As far as Crosby goes, nobody, I mean nobody, in the league has to endure the physical attention that he does. He is so good down low at protecting the puck, he is constantly cross checked.
Anyone who thinks he's a pussy doesn't watch him play. He gets a bad rap because his first 2 years in the league he was a whiner, bioched too much to the refs, and threw his head back to get penalty calls his way.
He was 18 and 19 years old. He matured and stopped that crap. People that still call him a baby either don't watch him play, or hate him because he is their teams rival.

Even Doug Gilmour, when with the Leafs, pissed me off sometimes with the odd cheapshot. It just rubs me the wrong way, when a smaller player knows his bigger, tougher teammates will jump in. It's like, when we were kids, the mouthy little #%&*$# in the neighborhood who chirped off all the time, because he had a big brother.

#4473189 - 05/06/19 04:16 PM Re: NHL Playoffs [Re: WangoTango]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
LB4LB, They threw so much money at Holland he couldn't say no IMO ( I mean who wants to live in Edmonton ?). Holland is a very smart GM, he has the Cups to prove it. Detroit was a very competitive team for 20 years straight.
He has the best player in the world in McDavid, and a star in Draisaitl. But beyond that ? Yikes, he has his work cut out for him. Likely he buys out Lucic who just doesn't fit in the new faster NHL.

#4473190 - 05/06/19 04:20 PM Re: NHL Playoffs [Re: WangoTango]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Top Gun, I respected Cam Neely greatly. But his type of player was even rare back then, 25 yrs or so ? One of my faves of all time was Owen Nolan, who was only a Leaf briefly. Loved to watch him play in Quebec, Colorado, SJ etc.
There are no Cam Neelys, Owen Nolans anymore. To expect Crosby to be one is unrealistic IMO.

#4473191 - 05/06/19 04:31 PM Re: NHL Playoffs [Re: WangoTango]  
Top Gun Offline
Lifer
Top Gun  Offline
Lifer

Roch-Vegas NH
Originally Posted by WangoTango
Top Gun, I respected Cam Neely greatly. But his type of player was even rare back then, 25 yrs or so ? One of my faves of all time was Owen Nolan, who was only a Leaf briefly. Loved to watch him play in Quebec, Colorado, SJ etc.
There are no Cam Neelys, Owen Nolans anymore. To expect Crosby to be one is unrealistic IMO.

very true about Neeley, I know the coaches didn't want him fighting because he was such a goal scorer and it didn't take much for him and Ulf Samuelson of the Whalers to egg Neeley on and put him in the sin bin. Who wouldn't take that trade off if they get matching penalties...

As far as Marchand, I think the refs watch him so closely now because of his reputation for being a punk he gets calls very quickly. Which I'm fine with because his punk reputation is well deserved, I was hoping they were going to trade him some years back. Yes he's a great goal scorer the last 2 years, but I can't stand him play when he's not scoring.

For me, it's no different than not wanting LeBron coming to the Celts because he's not a team player. If you've ever listened to his after game conferences it's always me, me me...

#4473193 - 05/06/19 04:35 PM Re: NHL Playoffs [Re: Top Gun]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
So, TopGun, you are a Bruins fan ? and can't stand Marchand's antics ?
Refs may watch him, but he still gets away with a lot of cheap shots.
In a way it's unfair to his teammates, the Bruins should be very respected, but Marchand's takes some of that away.

BTW Ulf Samuelson was one of the dirtiest players of all time. Tie Domi gave him what he deserved though. (yes it was dirty, but not many cried for Ulf)

#4473194 - 05/06/19 04:41 PM Re: NHL Playoffs [Re: WangoTango]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
It's too bad that all the great play of Patrice Bergeron is over shadowed by the whole Marchand thing. Bergeron is one of the best, and classiest players in the league.

As far as Holland, he WAS a great GM at one time, but the long list of grossly overpaid bad players in the last ten years was just getting too big. He never adjusted well to the new salary cap NHL.

I do respect Crosby's game. His whining and the over hyping by the the media just didn't sit well with most NHL fans. Marchand has had a chance to be known for his great play, but he seems to revel in the whole "bad guy of the league" persona.

#4473198 - 05/06/19 04:55 PM Re: NHL Playoffs [Re: LB4LB]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Sorry, Crosby doesn't "whine" to the refs anymore than any Captain in the league. He is hyped because he has been one of the greatest players in this modern era. I'm no Penguins fan, but I know what I see when I watch him play. Hate can dictate perception.

I think Marchand just can't help himself. He had over a 100 points this season, he is an elite player, but that's not what he will be remembered for. It will be the slew foots, cheap shots, and especially licking the faces of Komorov and Callahan.

And yes Bergeron is an amazing, classy player.

#4473200 - 05/06/19 05:15 PM Re: NHL Playoffs [Re: WangoTango]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
What happened when Crosby hacked Methot? 10 stiches required to the finger.

#4473201 - 05/06/19 05:15 PM Re: NHL Playoffs [Re: WangoTango]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Not completely related, but sort of. Seeing as there are some passionate hockey fans here.

I am going to be starting a NHL Yahoo Fantasy keeper league in the Fall. I am recently retired and will have the time to commit to it.
I played last year and had a great time. But it was a one and done season.
Teams will be compiled via draft. A keeper league means that your roster will carry over to the next year, so trades/waivers etc have a bigger impact.

Just throwing it out there. Draft will be sometime in September, I will start a thread around that time.
Looking to have 12 or so teams involved.
Let me know if you are interested.

No money required, just for fun and bragging rights. Although Yahoo does give out "virtual" trophies.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.