Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
#4472888 - 05/03/19 11:57 PM Re: Game of Thrones final season in 2 weeks! -- SOME SPOILERS [Re: Dart]  
NH2112 Online content
Veteran
NH2112  Online Content
Veteran

Jackman, ME
Originally Posted by Dart

If I were planning the battle, no matter what I'd of had the Dothraki charging head on in total darkness into an army of the undead. They were poison to Westeros and would have brought nothing but disaster and ruin if they'd of remained, trashing villages, taking slaves, etc.

Exactly, everyone was happy with this plan - the Dothraki got to show how macho they were in front of the Westerosi who fight wearing steel dresses, and Westeros doesn’t have to deal with their barbarism. Even with the reanimated Dothraki later fighting against the Westerosi after the Night King raised the dead it was still a win for Westeros. The only way it could have been better is if the battle with Cersei had already taken place so they could have killed a few of her troops before later being deliberately sent gloriously charging headlong into the meat grinder.

I don’t see what the big deal was about Arya appearing in the Godswood. Everyone saw her run off from The Hound and Dondarrion and had to know she was going SOMEWHERE, not running from the fight like a craven. It wasn’t like she went directly from being surrounded by wights in the keep, armed only with Littlefinger’s dagger, to leaping onto TNK’s back. The whole series was nothing but unexpected moment after unexpected moment, making you shout “WTF?!?!” and hit rewind. (Or just sit there stunned and feeling like you just got punched in the stomach.) Unexpected? Wash being killed by a huge Reaver spear through the chest in Serenity was unexpected. After 7 seasons of GOT not even TNK killing Bran should have been too much of a surprise to anyone.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4472917 - 05/04/19 04:50 AM Re: Game of Thrones final season in 2 weeks! -- SOME SPOILERS [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Tarnsman Offline
Hotshot
Tarnsman  Offline
Hotshot

USA
Lots of fans were unhappy with how this episode worked out, I was happy with it and enjoyed the outcome of the battle -- mainly because I never cared that much for the Night King anyway.
I cared a long time ago about the Night King, but after years of not really learning about his character motivations, goals or even much about his origins, he just became a hindrance in many respects. He was as was said many times "death" personified -- it sure looked for 90% of the episode like our heroes had no chance, and either the Night King or Bran was going to die and by this point neither of them were particularly interesting to me.
There is a name for characters like Bran and the Knight King, sort of like the stolen money in Psycho or the briefcase in Pulp Fiction, and after 7 years of GoT that is how I feel about TNK and Bran frankly.

That being said, I was glad to at last see some gratitude from Bran Stark.

Some new alliances were opened up and new conflicts too, but bottom line--
These massive multi season epic series, need to end with a full episode season arc, not this half the number of episode "lets close off all the threads of the last 7 years in half the time" final seasons.

#4472945 - 05/04/19 01:16 PM Re: Game of Thrones final season in 2 weeks! -- SOME SPOILERS [Re: Dart]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Originally Posted by Dart
I would suggest you never, ever watch The Walking Dead.

The folks in GoT are friggin' military geniuses compared to TWD.

If I were planning the battle, no matter what I'd of had the Dothraki charging head on in total darkness into an army of the undead. They were poison to Westeros and would have brought nothing but disaster and ruin if they'd of remained, trashing villages, taking slaves, etc.

At least in TWD we're dealing with civilians in extreme situations they are not equipped to deal with smile I would have hoped the writers of GOT would have got some medieval battle experts in. Or maybe just played some Total War biggrin The Dothraki clearly should have pincered in from both sides once the dead had moved in to the infantry.
But, then we wouldn't have got a admittedly cool visual mechanic of all the flaming swords being extinguished.

Having watched that episode again, I am rather less disappointed with it. I feel there is yet unshown details to emerge. For example,
what does Jon shout when he stands up to the dead dragon? Could it be "Go!"
That would indicate something else was happening. I wouldn't put it past the writers to deliberately troll the viewing audience this way wink

Last edited by DM; 05/04/19 01:17 PM.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4472966 - 05/04/19 04:28 PM Re: Game of Thrones final season in 2 weeks! -- SOME SPOILERS [Re: Tarnsman]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted by Tarnsman

Some new alliances were opened up and new conflicts too, but bottom line--
These massive multi season epic series, need to end with a full episode season arc, not this half the number of episode "lets close off all the threads of the last 7 years in half the time" final seasons.

We'd all loved more episodes this season, but it's somewhat offset by the length of the episodes.The last four each last like 80 minutes each. Thats twice the length of a normal TV show episode, close to a full movie (back when movies used to be 80-90 minutes long, not 200+ minutes biggrin )

They have spent 7 seasons moving the pieces, setting up the premise, resolving some of the bigger outstanding issues and the last 3 can focus on the final showdown. And how to turn it upside down to what we'll expect.
Because this is Game of Thrones, and getting what you see ain't part of the show biggrin

I can't wait for the final 3 episodes.

#4472969 - 05/04/19 05:03 PM Re: Game of Thrones final season in 2 weeks! -- SOME SPOILERS [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
The reason they never really fleshed out the Night King's character was obvious once one realized he had a Weather Dominator.

Yes, now we know what Cobra Commander looked like under that mask, and why we never heard the Night King speak.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4472971 - 05/04/19 05:40 PM Re: Game of Thrones final season in 2 weeks! -- SOME SPOILERS [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
I like that they didn't flesh out and dive deep into the night King and his motivations.

There is no reason to explain every if what and buts of someones motivations. You see it as the "heroes" see it, they don't know why he does it and neither do we.

#4473009 - 05/05/19 01:12 AM Re: Game of Thrones final season in 2 weeks! -- SOME SPOILERS [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
No spoiler tag needed for this one, as everyone knows there's a big battle.

We know that when the Army of the Dead is moving in a big mass they tend to miss solitary living people that are out of sight - that's how Sam survived the Fist of the First Men, by cowering at the bottom of a standing stone as they marched past, and waiting until they were gone before getting back up.

You have to know that in the morning there's going to be a few stragglers walking up a bit glassy eyed with tales of how they were buried under a pile of dead people or were knocked out Bilbo Baggins style (or Imp style, if one likes) during the battle and ignored by the dead.

A few things in the battle that I liked and made sense:

The Unsullied held the ranks of their formations and weren't shaken even under the heaviest onslaught, maintaining discipline the whole time.

Considering their whole purpose and training was to defeat the Dothraki, it makes sense that a mass charge against them would generally fail.

When given the order to retreat, it meant an ordinary withdrawl in good order, not a rout like everyone else.

This explains to the fire trench behind them. Nobody thought they'd stand their ground that long; so when the regular folks all ran into the castle (and it was time to light it) they were on the wrong side of the final protective line before the wall itself.

Greyworm gets a serious ding for closing the ditch with Unsullied on the other side yet. He should have given them the order to retreat through it.

Still, even at the end of the battle with the Army of the Dead defeated, there were still Unsullied out there in the middle of the horde thrusting away behind their shield walls.

Speaking of Sam, right about now anyone who starts popping wise about how he doesn't belong in a battle should be immediately corrected. #%&*$#, how many certain death situations does he have to actively survive in order to get some respect? Between defending Castle Black and now the Battle of the Long Night, one would think he's earned his due.

Did Gilly and little Sam survive the crypt? I don't remember seeing them at the end.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4473107 - 05/05/19 10:00 PM Re: Game of Thrones final season in 2 weeks! -- SOME SPOILERS [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Had Winterfell had the services of Gerard Butler and his 300 Spartans the battle would have been easily won in no time. biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4473114 - 05/05/19 11:39 PM Re: Game of Thrones final season in 2 weeks! -- SOME SPOILERS [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
NH2112 Online content
Veteran
NH2112  Online Content
Veteran

Jackman, ME
I’m pissed! While cleaning up around my trailer in an attempt to un-trailer-trash it in my first spring here, I cut my internet cable by accident where it was routed with a bundle of DirecTV cables from the previous owner. The hardware store that might have crimpers and ends is only open 9-1 today, and of course it was after 1. The closest Walmart is 70 miles away, so I emailed the cable company to see if they can repair it tomorrow. My 2 friends in town who watch GoT are binge-watching at the end of the series, and I don’t think I want to try to stream it over LTE.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4473121 - 05/06/19 03:10 AM Re: Game of Thrones final season in 2 weeks! -- SOME SPOILERS [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I’ve come to the conclusion that Tyrion has become so hopelessly naive that he’s no longer a competent Hand.

What he told Cersei at the end of the episode would be the equivalent of the UN politely asking Kim Jong Un to step down from power in North Korea for the good of his people! Lmao.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 05/06/19 03:17 AM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4473143 - 05/06/19 11:47 AM Re: Game of Thrones final season in 2 weeks! -- SOME SPOILERS [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
JaysonMac Offline
JaysonMac  Offline

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
I’ve come to the conclusion that these are my favorite at home golf simulators and Tyrion has become so hopelessly naive that he’s no longer a competent Hand.

What he told Cersei at the end of the episode would be the equivalent of the UN politely asking Kim Jong Un to step down from power in North Korea for the good of his people! Lmao.

My guess is that Tyrion deep down knows he's wrong but for the first time in his life, he actually believes in someone and he's trying to hold on to that feeling. That's pretty powerful when you think about it.

Last edited by JaysonMac; 07/01/23 02:43 PM.
#4473145 - 05/06/19 11:58 AM Re: Game of Thrones final season in 2 weeks! -- SOME SPOILERS [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
I agree with JaysonMac. I think the Spider will have a big part to play VERY soon and I expect that Dany and her dragon will either be killed or go back across the narrow sea. I also expect the Hound and Arya are going to stir some serious crap. I think she will make it out alive but I think that he is going down.......with luck in a blaze a glory.

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#4473147 - 05/06/19 12:08 PM Re: Game of Thrones final season in 2 weeks! -- SOME SPOILERS [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
My prediction is that Jamie will be the one to kill Cersei.

Why else have him dump his 6”3 new girlfriend and ride all the way back to King’s Landing?

#4473153 - 05/06/19 01:08 PM Re: Game of Thrones final season in 2 weeks! -- SOME SPOILERS [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Top Gun Offline
Lifer
Top Gun  Offline
Lifer

Roch-Vegas NH
that's exactly what I told my wife last night when he left to go back. Use his cover to get close to her, but then kill her because she promised herself to the other dude.

XboxLive Tag: DOBrienTG1969

Dave O'Brien,
Top Gun Photography
Nikon D500 & D7200
Nikkor 70-200VR AF-s F/2.8
Sigma 50-500 & 17-50 F2.8
Sigma 150-600
#4473160 - 05/06/19 01:25 PM Re: Game of Thrones final season in 2 weeks! -- SOME SPOILERS [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

Haven't seen the last episode, but can't resist some speculations anyway smile

I think Tyrion still tries to safe his sister, family and all - I wouldn't be surprised if he even died in the process of trying to protect here one way or the other. Could even be Ser Bronn who does the deed, and would be fitting, him saving Tyrion at the Erie and in the end taking it as well.
Whatever the plot of the Spider might be, it will get him killed - Lady Melisandre's prophecy was very clear about them both dying in Westeros, and I think it is safe to assume that it's not going to be a natural death for him. Maybe by the new Lord of the Whisperers or his minions?!
Arya - somehow I wouldn't be surprised if she got a deadly visitor - one does not simply abandon the service of the many-faced god (even so she got apparently a favorable farewell from Jaqen H'ghar). She received the training and became a way-to-big powerhouse (ab-)using her skills, she needs to be stopped.
The Hound? Clegane bowl for sure - I expect him to win and survive it, but after that he also becomes obsolete as a character.
Tormund dying in a wildling style attempt to "steal" Brienne?! Probably not, though it might by a special kind of twisted.
Daenerys vs Aegon/Jon? No idea, but favoring Jon... Hard to see a long-term coexistence after Cersei is defeated, not to mention Sansa stirring the northern (+Vale?) kettle accordingly.
Oh, and yes, Jaime to ultimately kill Cersei, could it be any other way?!?! Except for it being the obvious solution...

Last edited by WhoCares; 05/06/19 01:27 PM.
#4473162 - 05/06/19 01:35 PM Re: Game of Thrones final season in 2 weeks! -- SOME SPOILERS [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
I have a feeling the Hound is taking down the Mountain and Arya is taking down Cersei after she takes Jaime's face.

Daenarys is definitely losing her composure especially after this episode.

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#4473203 - 05/06/19 05:26 PM Re: Game of Thrones final season in 2 weeks! -- SOME SPOILERS [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I'm sure you guys have read about the hilarious goof from last night's episode?

Attached Files image1.jpg

#4473208 - 05/06/19 05:57 PM Re: Game of Thrones final season in 2 weeks! -- SOME SPOILERS [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

Having seen some of it now, as we talked earlier about military plunders - why not scout with the dragons from high up and burn them (especially Eurons fleet) in the night?!?! Burn the gates and some of the Scorpions in the night and similar such stuff... They would hardly be able to man and turn the scorpions in time to react to sweeping attacks before the dragon would vanish in the dark of night again (should probably be moonless/clouded nights)...
I am kind of glad that Tormund seems to sticks to the initial plan and that they don't draw him south with similar arguments as for the BoB.
And shall it now be Grey Worm vs. the Mountain, like Oberyn with the spear? Naaah, it's going to be Clegane Bowl, it must be!

Last edited by WhoCares; 05/06/19 06:13 PM.
#4473211 - 05/06/19 06:16 PM Re: Game of Thrones final season in 2 weeks! -- SOME SPOILERS [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
+1 WhoCares

I love the show overall but quite honestly the boneheaded and illogical military tactics we've been shown in season 8 so far have been frustrating to watch.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 05/06/19 06:17 PM.

#4473214 - 05/06/19 07:17 PM Re: Game of Thrones final season in 2 weeks! -- SOME SPOILERS [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
+1 Don'tGiveAShit

History is full of boneheaded military moves, from the best of generals.
I'm not going to hang up about this.

I get a huge laugh out of the wannabe-armchair "generals" who whine about the tactics.

Exactly correct amount of soliders survived to carry the plot forward. Not one more or less.
It's not like they randomly roleplayed out the battle and wrote the script after that. :P

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.