Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4472171 - 04/28/19 02:48 PM Simple modding idea  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

So I have time between jobs to mod a couple ideas I had for over a year now. I'm hoping that the old gang of JJJ and others still have interest to help with modding.

Cheers.

#4472180 - 04/28/19 04:46 PM Re: Simple modding idea [Re: OldHat]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
I am really curious what ideas you hide under your hat, OldHat wink . However, due to my RL duties (two jobs) I can not promise any significant commitment right now :-(.

#4472182 - 04/28/19 05:04 PM Re: Simple modding idea [Re: OldHat]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Nice to hear from you again JJJ.

Here are some of them:

1. change weather for all days from 1915 to 1918 according to actual weather data gathered from books.
2, change data files for AI controlled aircraft so that the engines match what I had put into the FAQ about throttles.
3. continue the project to make models move around the airfields.
4. add a few more WW1 models to the airfields.
5. revise and re-write the training documentation based on updated information that I received.
6. continue with making historical scenarios from additional information in books that I've gathered.

I won't be able to continue the project on adding flyable plane models as that is restricted to QC flying and can't be incorporated into campaigns.

#4472418 - 04/30/19 01:31 PM Re: Simple modding idea [Re: OldHat]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
Originally Posted by OldHat

I won't be able to continue the project on adding flyable plane models as that is restricted to QC flying and can't be incorporated into campaigns.

It can be - via ME.

Other ideas - moreless file scripting work, no need for coding ;-).

#4472479 - 04/30/19 07:37 PM Re: Simple modding idea [Re: OldHat]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
In fact, if you enable the new planes in a mod, it's quite easy to add them to a campaign mission via the ME. Here are two screenshots of some Morane N's and two Longhorn Shorts I recently added to two campaign missions:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Currently, new planes have to be manually added, but there should be an easy way to automate the process so it takes place behind the scenes. The main thing missing in the two plane models right now are detailed damage models.

Last edited by BuckeyeBob; 04/30/19 07:41 PM.

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4472605 - 05/01/19 07:56 PM Re: Simple modding idea [Re: OldHat]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
holy cow

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#4472610 - 05/01/19 08:30 PM Re: Simple modding idea [Re: OldHat]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Moo.... wink smile

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4472614 - 05/01/19 08:49 PM Re: Simple modding idea [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

I want those I want those!!!! Genius!

System: i5 8600K @ 3.6GHz,16GB DDR4 @2666MHz. RTX2080, MSI Z370 mobo, Dell 27" G-SYNC @ 144Hz. 2560x1440

#4472644 - 05/02/19 02:45 AM Re: Simple modding idea [Re: OldHat]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
All the credit has to go to OldHat, with the assistance of myself, Robert Wiggins, Panama Red, and our resident master coder, JJJ65!

OldHat came up with the idea, and he is responsible for the models. Keep in mind that this mod is strictly unofficial, and is not supported by OBD. The project may not even get any farther off the ground, as we are duffers for the most part when it comes to creating a damage model from scratch. Also, none of us know how to make the instrument panel work, so the models are still in fairly rough shape. They do fly, however, and work as either AI or player controlled aircraft.

#4472709 - 05/02/19 03:06 PM Re: Simple modding idea [Re: OldHat]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

Nice to hear from you again JJJ.

Here are some of them:

1. change weather for all days from 1915 to 1918 according to actual weather data gathered from books.
2, change data files for AI controlled aircraft so that the engines match what I had put into the FAQ about throttles.
3. continue the project to make models move around the airfields.
4. add a few more WW1 models to the airfields.
5. revise and re-write the training documentation based on updated information that I received.
6. continue with making historical scenarios from additional information in books that I've gathered.

What a wonderful list! I'll PM you OldHat. I'd like to offer my help smile

System: i5 8600K @ 3.6GHz,16GB DDR4 @2666MHz. RTX2080, MSI Z370 mobo, Dell 27" G-SYNC @ 144Hz. 2560x1440

#4472724 - 05/02/19 04:19 PM Re: Simple modding idea [Re: OldHat]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Great to see you guys back,I want to personally add that I love what you modders do.

OldHat ..That looks like a fantastic list to add to WOFF,hopefully between you guys and the new upcoming patch we can get "immersion" to a new level. cheers

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4472733 - 05/02/19 05:12 PM Re: Simple modding idea [Re: OldHat]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Thanks Adger. Despite whatever I say in my posts, WOFF has always been in my heart and I never really left. I just got tied up with things and life comes in the way sometimes. I appreciate your comments and note of encouragement.

#4472745 - 05/02/19 06:50 PM Re: Simple modding idea [Re: OldHat]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Thanks Adger. Despite whatever I say in my posts, WOFF has always been in my heart and I never really left. I just got tied up with things and life comes in the way sometimes. I appreciate your comments and note of encouragement.

RL certainly gets in the way,i wish i could retire now yep Best of luck to you and all your fellow modders going forward pal.

We will remember them.
#4473027 - 05/05/19 06:48 AM Re: Simple modding idea [Re: OldHat]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Well I changed direction and decided to try out plane models again. I don't remember a lot of what I did, but I'm hopeful it will eventually pan out.

[Linked Image]
Credit goes to Geezer for building the original model.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached Files HP400.jpgmartinsyde.jpgDolphin.jpgAlbC2.jpg
#4473041 - 05/05/19 10:59 AM Re: Simple modding idea [Re: OldHat]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

jawdrop Great stuff OldHat

We will remember them.
#4473054 - 05/05/19 01:17 PM Re: Simple modding idea [Re: OldHat]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Very cool!

#4473096 - 05/05/19 07:06 PM Re: Simple modding idea [Re: OldHat]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Those would be awesome additions Oldhat!

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4473251 - 05/07/19 07:39 AM Re: Simple modding idea [Re: OldHat]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
Planes looking great only keep in your mind, as I know from the OFF3 past, think it was Stumpy, he did receive an PM from OBD to stop his activities on implementating additional planes.

Now we still inhere for simple mods, here something, maybe not so simple, but some here at this forum and at the RoF section seems to have managed this but only in 2d, why not model a cockpit from an existing plane into 3d cockpit, so this plane can be used in VR?
I do not know if this is that simple but I do see games that are upgraded to VR and additional software for DX9 games like Tridef, VorpX are available.

http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4309461/vr-support#Post4309461

#4473264 - 05/07/19 01:16 PM Re: Simple modding idea [Re: OldHat]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

We did not tell anyone to stop making aircraft full stop. It's possible we asked someone to hold on some if they were about to make aircraft that we were already going to release soon etc, no point having a rough one then we release one soon after?

We include mods where possible. Over 13 years we have been in contact with various modellers, but as I counted a couple of years back, 27 (no exaggeration!) different modellers who had stepped forward, wanted to do aircraft for WOFF, and in the end produced not a single totally finished aircraft. We had one or two donated partially complete - i.e. no VC, or external not even finished. We spent time with many of them, discussing our specs, sending info and so on then eventually, that person realizes how tough it is to complete one and gives up.

We had someone making an aircraft many years back and got to what he said was 99% done externally then started on a VC and in the end provided no aircraft.
Another decided to make half dozen or more aircraft (so we chose to make different ones) and then a long time later did not complete a single model by the time of release of that particular OFF, and in the end we made some of the others scheduled by ourselves instead.

Making aircraft is not just about making the external main model - that's the relatively easy bit! It also has to be of a high enough quality and have a good virtual cockpit. Apart from that, we also need all the functioning parts, mapped correctly to fit how WOFF swaps in historical skins, (otherwise we have to remap the whole model from scratch) with full damage parts and so on, then a decent flight model and various historical textures to go with it, created and tested squads.

Some aircraft we had donated to us right at the beginning, but were very partially complete (no cockpit etc), or were not of a high enough poly count or quality. One or two a long time ago (around OFF2 (i.e. not even WOFF 2)) we had kindly donated to us by Jean Michele, but we had to do a lot of work renaming parts, splitting/rebuilding fixing up and then had to add a whole virtual cockpit and so on.

Mostly unless someone is going to work to the specs we require, naming convention, the important linking of parts, mapping, damage parts with correct naming and linking, and add a decent VC (either good enough or one we can just polish), and actually complete it or very nearly there's not much point.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4473280 - 05/07/19 02:55 PM Re: Simple modding idea [Re: OldHat]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
In my experience as a part-time modder, OBD has NEVER stopped or discouraged me from creating or releasing a user-created mod to the public for use in WOFF. In fact, if a given mod is good enough, OBD will occasionally reach out to the mod owner to ask if the owner will grant his permission to incorporate the mod into the official WOFF version. For example, didn't Ankor's shaders start out as a user mod? I am sure there are many other examples of this that we don't know about. So, I don't think that OBD is hostile to user-created mods, as long as they don't violate any creative rights or fundamentally alter major aspects of game play.

I think the situation is slightly different if the mod creator approaches OBD and asks if they will consider adding this or that feature or object to the official game. Here, OBD seems to be much more protective, probably out of concern of losing creative and quality control over their product. In those cases, I think OBD can be quite demanding and insistent that any proposed addition to the official game must first meet several extremely strict requirements. In fact, I am unaware of any situation of a mod being added to the official game in which OBD didn't approach the mod owner first (I could be mistaken on this, but if so, I think it is very rare).

To sum up, as long as it is clear that a mod is user created, and is not officially recognized or supported by OBD, I don't think that OBD has any objections either to the creation or use of that mod in the game. However, if you want OBD to include a mod as part of the official game, there will be a lot of very strict requirements that will have to be met first.

N. B. The one area in which OBD and I may disagree is in regard to the data that used to be modifiable in CFS3 (FM variables, pilot data, etc.), that is now encrypted and can't be modded in WOFF anymore. I, of course, like the flexibility it gives to modders and game users, but I also understand that this is a design decision made by OBD in order to protect the overall quality and reputation of their product.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.