Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4472303 - 04/29/19 06:14 PM Cliffs - Blitz - Spitfire Girl, here I come...  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
‘I’ve started, so I’ll finish’ is a well-known catchphrase in the UK, used in a certain game show featuring people who know lots of stuff but don't need the money. It also seems to be my policy for Cliffs of Dover - Blitz Edition. Having started the RAF Redux campaign, I feel a strange compulsion to get to its end.

Be that as it may, having hikacked Blade_Meister’s ‘Blitz’ screenshots thread with occasional illustrated mission reports, I thought I had better do the decent thing and post any future ones separately. So here we go...

It’s now early September and - apparently following the same basic sequence as the scripted missions in the stock RAF campaign - I’ve been transferred from a Hawkinge-based RAF Hurricane squadron to a Spitfire outfit at Manston, north-east of Dover. Apart from less weird briefings, the main noticeable change is that I’m playing the historical character of US pilot ‘Red’ McColpin, albeit not following his actual squadron career, as he didn’t make that transfer.

The next mission's briefing has 602 Squadron’s CO, name of Boddington, tasking me to fly as his number two on a short low-level hop to the port of Calais and the nearby airfield of Calais Marck. Visual reconnaissance is the task. Possibly because it needs to fit with that basic sequence I mentioned earlier, the briefing includes a weird conversation with another pilot who wants to come and bring his camera. The CO flatly declines this request, hinting darkly at some sort of lurking tension.

The mission loads with me to the boss’s right rear, engine running and ready to roll. Sometimes you’re actually rolling, until you brake. To stop this, invisible chocks were added in a recent (?) update which Alt+C orders removed. But having fallen foul of this on the last mission, now that I know what to do, I find myself rolling and needing to brake again, like the invisible chocks are inconsistent. Anyway, here I am, all set. Note the nice matt finish on the wings; it's a pity other surfaces like the upper nose often seem almost polished from certain angles, given the RAF's penchant for very matt, rather scruffy camouflage finishes.

[Linked Image]

But we're not quite ready to go anywhere, just yet.

For a Squadron Leader, the boss has a particularly abysmal concept of radio discipline, for now, he clutters up the airwaves telling me things he should have said at the briefing. Plus, it’s not very far from here to occupied France and to any Hun who can listen in to our short-ranged transmitters, he also gives away the fact we’re going there. This silly dialogue is probably a left-over from the original mission, which the Redux authors couldn’t change or remove; I hope so, because it will soon get even sillier.

After the R/T goes quiet, nothing happens. I sit for what seems like ages, waiting for the boss to take off. Still, nothing happens. This seems common and so I do what I usually do – end the silent CloD equivalent of a Mexican stand-off by taking off on my own. At which point, ‘tower’ comes up with belated takeoff clearance and the boss finally obliges. By the time he’s off the ground, I’m passing Ramsgate harbour.

I let the other Spit overtake me and rather than resort to autopilot, take the opportunity to practice a bit of low-level formation flying. Badly, as is my wont. Possibly to distract me from this, CloD kicks off an airwave-clogging, stupid conversation between my virtual self and the boss. It’s all fairly cringe-worthy stuff, and seems related to the earlier awkward discussion with the pilot who wanted to come with his camera. Apparently, someone was shot down, and people who could or should have helped, didn’t. Or somebody thought they could have or should have. Whatever.

[Linked Image]

Possibly, all this is a vital link to future developments in the story. Definitely unconvincing, and it certainly should have earned participants an instruction to shut up from Control, followed on return by a roasting for a gross breach of R/T discipline. Of course, the person who actually deserves the roasting is whoever thought this sort of thing was fit for inclusion in anything with pretensions at being a serious combat flight sim.

I try to distract myself from this distraction by keeping up while not flying into the sea while looking out for Huns. But the skies are clear and soon, Dover's white cliffs are falling away behind....

[Linked Image]

..while we’re nearing the French coast.

[Linked Image]

Knowing that, after Calais, we will turn left to the nearby airfield, I start to slip over to the boss’s right, so as not to get in his way when he turns. I can be quite considerate when I put my mind to it, rare though that may be.

Some light AA comes up as we fly past the harbour and I jink a little, staying below the boss. This seems to work as intended, because the gunners concentrate on him. He doesn't seem too bothered, and starts chittering away. Again.

[Linked Image]

Very quickly, the boss makes his turn, finding time also to make an enigmatic comment about seeing something he doesn’t name, suddenly security-conscious.

[Linked Image]

What ‘that thing’ was, to which he is referring, I have no idea. I even pause the action briefly, to look around in the external view, but remain clueless to what ‘that thing’ was.

[Linked Image]

Besides which, I do hate it when instead of trying to use period language, people resort to anachronisms like ‘intel’. Which is pure US armed forces (though probably taking over) – it was ‘int’ in my time, and would NOT have been ‘intel’ in the 1940s RAF.

As I come out of the left turn, I can already see a grassy area which looks like the airfield that’s our next objective, rendering the boss's next commentary even more pointless than his usual drivel. Helpfully, the AA at least has died away.

[Linked Image]

As we come in, the boss resumes warbling needlessly on the R/T. I feel like shooting him down, to stop it all. But instead of fragging the boss (see what you’ve done, CloD – I’m using anachronisms now, too!) I look for someone else upon whom to vent my frustration.

[Linked Image]

But apart from some hangars which are too far off my track, there’s nothing to shoot at on the ground.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The boss must have much better eyesight though, because he announces that the Huns are taking off. I have another look, but can’t see so much as a speck of an aircraft, on the ground...

[Linked Image]

...or in the air.

[Linked Image]

A broken mission trigger, bad eyesight, poor aircraft visibility, or just a frightener from an over-wrought CO…I have no idea.

I keep a good look-out to the rear nevertheless, as we settle onto a course straight back to Manston. A few miles out from the enemy coast, the boss offers me a race back to Manston, his brief flirtation with security-consciousness vanished. Who cares if the enemy is listening in? Not my man.

Anyway, I take him at his word and keep the revs well up on the way home. Soon, he starts climbing, talking all the while...

[Linked Image]

...and I slip ahead, underneath him.

Despite arriving first in an apparently clear circuit back at Manston, I’m denied permission to pancake. This seems normal, so I ignore it. Any rocket I get for this should be dwarfed by the one my garrulous boss is due. I now start hearing/seeing instructions to join the circuit, but settle onto a curved approach as soon as I can. The mission objective was just to get back, so after trundling along towards the perimeter track while watching out for anyone trying to land on top of me, I accept the offer to quit the mission.

[Linked Image]

Were we supposed to be intercepted? Was I supposed to see ‘that thing’, whatever it was? Will the squadron’s guilty secrets be revealed? Answers on a postcard…!

The next mission’s briefing has me bumping into Florence, the ‘bird’ and possible romantic interest referred to in a previous bit of inappropriate R/T traffic, in a previous inappropriate mission. Food is mentioned, indicating she may work in the kitchen, but she addresses me as ‘sir’, which implies that she's not a civilian and therefore doesn’t. The conversation gets around to me offering her a flight, if she’ll meet me at Hangar 6 later. Reading this, it feels like all CloD’s silliness so far has been mere preparation for this most silly mission of all. What other explanation could there be? Anyway, it looks like the infamous Spitfire Girl mission will be my next outing in the weird alternative universe that is CloD. I suspect the sensation would be familiar to anyone who sat through that most infamous of stage plays ‘Moose Murders’ - which closed after its first night - feeling that they could take no more, but at the same time, unable to tear themselves away. ‘Sausage squad up the blue end!’ let it be, then!

PS if you don't get the last reference, it's clearly high time you saw the Monty Python RAF banter sketch: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2yvw86

Attached Files 20190428213416_1.jpg20190428213815_1.jpg20190428214021_1.jpg20190428214333_1.jpg20190428214551_1.jpg20190428214631_1.jpg20190428214646_1.jpg20190428214818_1.jpg20190428214857_1.jpg20190428214924_1.jpg20190428214931_1.jpg20190428215052_1.jpg20190428215107_1.jpg20190428220221_1.jpg20190428214947_1.jpg
Last edited by 33lima; 04/29/19 06:48 PM.

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4472381 - 04/30/19 03:15 AM Re: Cliffs - Blitz - Spitfire Girl, here I come... [Re: 33lima]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Sometimes you’re actually rolling, until you brake. To stop this, invisible chocks were added in a recent (?) update which Alt+C orders removed.

Recent update for Blitz has added "chock in" but only for missions that start with "Scramble", what may don't affect old missions/campaigns.

- A "peculiarity" is that if you re-fly the same scramble mission, the chocks don't came engaged on second spawn.

So as "Rule of the thumb" always apply chocks when start a mission, and always press brakes, plane spawn with brakes in, but they are not able to prevents that planes turn on runway pointing for wind direction, only chocks do.

In the same Blitz update brake lever in Spit and Hurricane cockpits is animated, so is easy see that brakes are on.

Brakes don't help much, but hinder: if you forget to release brakes plane probable will make a "propeller strike" on take-off run.

What work in CloD, work... in "CloD way". biggrin

#4472471 - 04/30/19 06:40 PM Re: Cliffs - Blitz - Spitfire Girl, here I come... [Re: 33lima]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Thanks for the explanation, Sokol!

CloD moves in mysterious ways, his wonders to perform! smile

I had noticed the animated brake lever, it's a good feature. Before that, I did have a prop strike. Or two smile

I suppose I won't be able to see the brake lever, or much of anything else, when Florence is in the cockpit. I don't have TrackIR, so I won't be able to lean around her smile I wonder if she will fall out, if I roll inverted...

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4472525 - 05/01/19 03:28 AM Re: Cliffs - Blitz - Spitfire Girl, here I come... [Re: 33lima]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA

Yo! Time To Have your Eyes Checked Bro!

[Linked Image]

It is Hideous! It is destroying all of Calais!

It Has Only Ever Been Caught On The Tele' Once Mate!

[Linked Image]

It Is Hittler's Huge Building Devouring Pussy! Run For Your Life!

Footnote: 1a. "Pussy" is British slang for "cat" as in, "Here kitty kitty.

Nothing to see here, .... move along... move along....

Now this is Hijacking a thread old bean. See to it in the future that if you claim to hijack a thread, you do it proper mate!

Your hijack is on the right and my hijack is on the left good Sir!

Last edited by Blade_Meister; 05/01/19 04:38 AM.
#4472589 - 05/01/19 05:07 PM Re: Cliffs - Blitz - Spitfire Girl, here I come... [Re: 33lima]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
I see your Giant Siamese...and I raise you a Spiny Norman! thumbsup

[Linked Image]

#4472640 - 05/02/19 02:24 AM Re: Cliffs - Blitz - Spitfire Girl, here I come... [Re: 33lima]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
LMAO!

33lima I don't care what you post on the CLOD Blitz thread(to whom it may concern: no skin pictures please). I never thought you hi jacked it Sir. That Spiny Norman looks like a nasty character. Love the AAR so far. Pardon my interruption Sir! Please do carry on Mucker.

I am really looking forward to the next installment of INTEL that you can bestow upon us from the RAAF Redux!

S!Blade<><

Last edited by Blade_Meister; 05/02/19 02:29 AM.
#4472881 - 05/03/19 11:06 PM Re: Cliffs - Blitz - Spitfire Girl, here I come... [Re: 33lima]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
PS I had to fly that flipping mission again for some reason, and this time I paused the action at Calais in the right spot so that I could see' that...thing'.

Spoiler alert - look away now if you don't want to see it...

[Linked Image]

I doesn't look like a Wurzburg set (had a parabolic dish) or a Freya (had a taller antenna) but I do seem to recall reading there was an experimental radar set at Calais - though maybe I'm confusing that with the set used to pick up the Wellingtons during the Battle of the Heligoland Bight in 1939.

Anyway I assume that's the thing in question. The mission debrief and the next mission's briefing (not Spitfire Girl yet) make no mention at all of the recce mission, like it never happened. Creepy. Battle of Britain meets Hotel California or something.

Attached Files 20190503232517_1.jpg
Last edited by 33lima; 05/03/19 11:06 PM.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.