Hop To
#4469783 - 04/10/19 02:20 PM Unwanted emails  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
I have been receiving a few emails everyday from sources I made no contact or account with. I had just been deleting them without opening them. Saturday I got a bit frustrated and started using the “unsubscribe” choice and unsubscribed from about 15 mailings. Some only required clicking the unsubscribe button. Most required me to type in my email address and then click the unsubscribe.

Then I started having second thought whether I had done the right thing. I worry that by doing this I affirmed that this was an active email account and would therefore see increased contacts.

Anybody have any knowledge of this ?

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4469786 - 04/10/19 02:31 PM Re: Unwanted emails [Re: oldgrognard]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
I mark them as spam and then they go to the junk mail filter

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
AMD FX6300 Vishera 3.5 Ghz
ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 Overclocked 4 GB DDR5
16Gb Patriot Viper 3 RAM DDR3 1866Mhz
Onikuma Gaming Headset (has annoying blue lights I don't use)
#4469792 - 04/10/19 02:53 PM Re: Unwanted emails [Re: oldgrognard]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
IMO, NEVER open an unknown e-mail. Marks as SPAM or delete.

Again, just my opinion..

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4469798 - 04/10/19 03:47 PM Re: Unwanted emails [Re: oldgrognard]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Sorry to be Mr. Negative, but yeah, I think that was a mistake. They probably got your email address from some database or other list that gets passed around between spammers, and unsubscribing just confirms to.them it is a valid and active email address.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4469799 - 04/10/19 03:51 PM Re: Unwanted emails [Re: oldgrognard]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
To complicate this, my iPad sort of opens emails on receipt. It shows the sender on a list to the left side and the body of it to the right. So I see the content to include the unsubscribe selection automatically. Do I have some setting wrong ?

Yeah Arthonon, that’s what came to my mind. I just got frustrated.

Guess I should have tagged as spam instead. I’ll do that in the future.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4469800 - 04/10/19 03:56 PM Re: Unwanted emails [Re: oldgrognard]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
No biggie, OG.
MOST of those "Unsubscribe" functions are legitimate.
But when in doubt, just delete the email. I always roll over the link to make sure it is going to the same website....

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#4469803 - 04/10/19 04:05 PM Re: Unwanted emails [Re: oldgrognard]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Hmmm, short answer, dunno.

I hardly ever look at e-mail with my phone or iPad. I use yahoo for most of my email, and even have the app installed on my phone.

Just checked it on my phone and computer simultaneously, and they both seem almost the same info on the mails.

Got me thinking though....is my Yahoo app peeking into emails the same as me opening them?

IF I had the assets to worry about, I would seriously look into a GOOD password manager and have multiple email addresses for each of my accounts etc. Pain in the butt but lots of bad guys on the internet and the good guys are outnumbered and losing a lot to them, imo.

I would also keep all my records encrypted and backed up in different places....again a pain in the butt.

But, I am poor and don't have to worry about.

I have a single bank account, a single credit card and multiple emails, internet personas etc.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4469804 - 04/10/19 04:13 PM Re: Unwanted emails [Re: oldgrognard]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Originally Posted by oldgrognard
I worry that by doing this I affirmed that this was an active email account and would therefore see increased contacts.

YES.

#4469808 - 04/10/19 04:21 PM Re: Unwanted emails [Re: oldgrognard]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Just stay away from those Ukrainian and Filipino mail order bride websites and you'll prevent most spam email messages. biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4469809 - 04/10/19 04:23 PM Re: Unwanted emails [Re: oldgrognard]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
But, but, but ..... a lot of those Ukrainian girls are looking good.

Ok, my iPad doesn’t have spam, just “move to junk”. Still has the body to the right even in junk.

#4469812 - 04/10/19 04:29 PM Re: Unwanted emails [Re: oldgrognard]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
I'm not an apple user, but any email program (not including web-based mail) that I've ever used that had the preview function, had a way to turn that option off.

Yeah, the use of the "Unsubscribe" links is debatable. Many of them probably are legitimate, but certainly some are harvesting information on active email account responses.

When I get something out of the blue that doesn't appear to match up with anything I've requested or joined, I'm inclined to either ignore it initially, or mark it as spam at the server. If ignoring it results in it continuing, I'm more inclined to try the "Unsubscribe" then. You can always still use the Spam marker if the unsubscribe doesn't end it.

#4469820 - 04/10/19 05:00 PM Re: Unwanted emails [Re: oldgrognard]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Originally Posted by oldgrognard
But, but, but ..... a lot of those Ukrainian girls are looking good.

Ok, my iPad doesn’t have spam, just “move to junk”. Still has the body to the right even in junk.

Depending on the host of your email, you might be able to go to a web interface and mark them as junk there, instead of using the iPad email client. The Android client on my phone lets me mark message as spam, but it's only on the phone, and doesn't change the server blocking, as far as I know. The web interface will go directly to the servers and filter them at that level, which is more secure and can help blacklist bad senders for others as well.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4469850 - 04/10/19 08:39 PM Re: Unwanted emails [Re: oldgrognard]  
Chef Offline
Chef  Offline

North Carolina
You can check to see if your e-mail has been compromised by checking hereHaveIbeenpwned?

To check websites for malware Virustotal

Last edited by Chef; 04/10/19 08:40 PM.

The road less traveled is filled with fewer needy people.
#4469872 - 04/10/19 10:35 PM Re: Unwanted emails [Re: oldgrognard]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
The point is, even if you don't reply but mark your email by other means to be unsubscribed, you're still setting the flag that someone's reading the spam coming to it (so the only safe reaction is not to react, at all). You can thank the concentrated lobby work of advertisers in Washington for this a$$-backwards approach. Rather than justifying why they send you something in the first place, you're supposed to tell every spammer that you don't want the junk from today's email list. Tomorrow, he'll send the junk from a different list where you aren't flagged yet. And whenever you respond, either by an email client that loads web content to display the message (including web pixels), it's a confirmation that the mail account is active, which greatly increases its value for address traders. They might not make money from your clicks, but they will still sell your profile to the next spammer, with a "confirmed active" premium on it.
Spamming is but a symptom. The real business is in the address trading, and the creation and enhancement of user profiles.

#4469916 - 04/11/19 01:16 AM Re: Unwanted emails [Re: Chef]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Originally Posted by Chef
You can check to see if your e-mail has been compromised by checking hereHaveIbeenpwned?

To check websites for malware Virustotal

Considering I never had an Adobe account the Have I been Pawned websites warning about my email address having been compromised by that one site and no others makes the validity of their information more than a little bit suspect to me.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4469927 - 04/11/19 03:06 AM Re: Unwanted emails [Re: oldgrognard]  
piper Offline
Veteran
piper  Offline
Veteran

Raleigh,NC
Good advice from most everyone, but I would also advice to change the password to the accounts affected.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.