Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4467814 - 03/28/19 12:44 AM F-14 Not showing up in module manager  
deez Offline
deez  Offline

In a past life I was an F-14D Plane Captain. Having read the reviews here saying this thing didn't suck, I pulled the trigger and bought it. The problem is...how do you install this sucker? It's not showing up in my module manger. It's also missing from the list of aircraft, modules, and other DLC at the bottom of the screen. So I went ahead and cancelled the order.

Is there something different about this module than the others?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4467817 - 03/28/19 12:54 AM Re: F-14 Not showing up in module manager [Re: deez]  
mdwa Offline
mdwa  Offline

Way over in Perth, Western Aus...
Nothing different, should show up fine. Couple of points might help:

-Need to be logged in when you started DCS, then it will detect that you have purchased the module.
-Need to install the module from the DCS module manager at the top once you start DCS, then it shows up down the bottom.
-Did you purchase off Steam? - if so, may be a different route to install and someone else may help...

mdwa
#4467822 - 03/28/19 01:20 AM Re: F-14 Not showing up in module manager [Re: deez]  
deez Offline
deez  Offline

I bought it from the DCS store. I wonder if it's not doing an auto update or something.

#4467829 - 03/28/19 01:57 AM Re: F-14 Not showing up in module manager [Re: deez]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Yes deez that could be the problem. My game will not auto update, I have to go into my bin file and find the updater

#4467841 - 03/28/19 08:30 AM Re: F-14 Not showing up in module manager [Re: deez]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

You need to install the open beta version.
My general advice though is not to.
Keep that order cancelled.
Unless you enjoy spending your days taking pretty screenies of course then sure, go ahead.

DCS has become nothing short of a long ride of disappointments last few years.
Maybe due to trying so hard to move from combat to FSX style simulation?
Sadly the number of screenshot simmers seem to be enough in quantity to keep ED earning enough to keep ignoring AI routines, basic ECM and blast effects etc.

#4467951 - 03/28/19 05:44 PM Re: F-14 Not showing up in module manager [Re: deez]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Yes as with any purchase due diligence is important

#4467972 - 03/28/19 09:34 PM Re: F-14 Not showing up in module manager [Re: deez]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Sounds like you need the Open Beta as 'theOden' stated......if you have the 'release' version of DCS then you won't see the module as it's not supported. The easiest method to switch between release/beta/alpha so you don't need multiple builds and a waste of 80-100GB of HDD storage is to use Skatezilla's utility

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4468423 - 04/01/19 01:30 PM Re: F-14 Not showing up in module manager [Re: theOden]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Originally Posted by theOden
Unless you enjoy spending your days taking pretty screenies of course then sure, go ahead.

Sadly the number of screenshot simmers seem to be enough in quantity to keep ED earning enough to keep ignoring AI routines, basic ECM and blast effects etc.

What is written above is sound advice.

I loved taking pics in DCS, but Sadly I have given up because there is 3rd party fraud allowed(VEAO, 40$ stolen), they do not finish projects as promised(P47,Me262 from kick starter) and DCS is a poorly optimized resource hog, to name a few things. The sad thing is I will probably by the F4U to take pictures(unless Jason and gang beat ED to the Pacific, which is highly likely) of and dogfight one on one with German planes it never saw in combat. The whole WWII thing is just such a mess. The jet thing still has a great appeal for me, the Harrier, F14, F18, but I just can't throw anymore money Eds way hoping they will wake up, pick an era, get it right, then pick another era, get it right, ........ They just don't get and I am over it so I look at Bisher's and others pretty pictures smile and think I would really like that module. Then, I remember DCS is a POS IMHO! So I save my money for something else. yep

S!Blade<><

Last edited by Blade_Meister; 04/01/19 01:31 PM.
#4469276 - 04/06/19 10:26 PM Re: F-14 Not showing up in module manager [Re: Blade_Meister]  
deez Offline
deez  Offline

So...it was the Open Beta thing.

I did buy the F-14. I have a bad habit of buying these modules. I've bought the Hawk, F-5, F-86, MiG-15, MiG-21, Viggen, Mirage 2000, All three helicopters, A-10C, and probably one or two more I can't think of. Normally, I'll screw around with the module for 20 minutes or so before getting bored. I lack the patience to figure out all the HOTAS stuff, or learn a different language.

The F-14 is the only module I've bought that captured my interest. First, it's a US plane, so everything is in English. second, it's old enough that it's not HOTAS dependent.

I'm a combat aviator by trade, and to me it's kind of cool to see how systems were organized before the modern databus systems were implemented.

It's probably not for everyone, but I think this is the best module yet for DCS.

#4469438 - 04/07/19 11:01 PM Re: F-14 Not showing up in module manager [Re: Blade_Meister]  
DaveP63 Offline
DaveP63  Offline

Indiana, USA
Originally Posted by Blade_Meister
Originally Posted by theOden

What is written above is sound advice.

I loved taking pics in DCS, but Sadly I have given up because there is 3rd party fraud allowed(VEAO, 40$ stolen), they do not finish projects as promised(P47,Me262 from kick starter) and DCS is a poorly optimized resource hog, to name a few things. The sad thing is I will probably by the F4U to take pictures(unless Jason and gang beat ED to the Pacific, which is highly likely) of and dogfight one on one with German planes it never saw in combat. The whole WWII thing is just such a mess. The jet thing still has a great appeal for me, the Harrier, F14, F18, but I just can't throw anymore money Eds way hoping they will wake up, pick an era, get it right, then pick another era, get it right, ........ They just don't get and I am over it so I look at Bisher's and others pretty pictures smile and think I would really like that module. Then, I remember DCS is a POS IMHO! So I save my money for something else. yep

S!Blade<><

But wait, there's more! There's an I-16 in 3rd party development! Yes, that's right, an I-16 for you to fight against...Let's see, um...Well, you could, no. That's not going to work, let's see...Well, never mind. It'll be great and it'll be a day one buy! (not hardly)

i5-4460@3.2ghz, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte GTX1050Ti 4GB, 2TB HDD, 500GB SDD

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.