Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4469012 - 04/05/19 12:13 PM Re: Ship names [Re: DM]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I'm down and out. PC wouldn't even post. Could be main board, hard drive, anything at this point. As much fun as I was having playing Elite, and I was making good progress too!, I just can't be arsed at the moment to deal with it.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4469025 - 04/05/19 01:43 PM Re: Ship names [Re: DM]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Sorry to hear that DB. I hate it when stuff happens to my PC that require deep investigation frown

Props for using "arsed" in the proper context though smile

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4469066 - 04/05/19 04:49 PM Re: Ship names [Re: DM]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks man. Yeah it sucks. My FDL was so close to being done too. Just shield boosters to go.

I don't know when I'll be back.

#4469072 - 04/05/19 05:16 PM Re: Ship names [Re: DBond]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
Bad luck there, D. Sorry to hear it.

#4469096 - 04/05/19 06:45 PM Re: Ship names [Re: DM]  
WingNuts01 Offline
WingNuts01  Offline

Huntington Beach, CA
Sorry to hear about computer. We'll still be here when you get something going again.

i5-2500K @4.3gh
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
16gb Mushkin PC3 1600
EVGA 760 4gb DDR5 2768 KR
CoolerMaster 922 Mesh 3x200mm, 2x140mm fans
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO
WD Caviar BLK 500gb SATA 6gb
WD Caviar BLK 1TB SATA 6gb
Intel 730 Series 480GB SATA 6gb
OCZ ZX-850 Gold
Lite-On DVD Burner
27" Samsung 2770FH
Warthog #11118 Woot!!!
Sennheiser 360 Headphones
#4469186 - 04/06/19 01:14 PM Re: Ship names [Re: DM]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks gents for the sympathy.

On the plus side my dog is happier as I'm playing with him more. And the house is cleaner as I suddenly have lots of free time smile

At the mo I am leaning toward buying/building a new box, and then I can figure out what's wrong with the old one, fix it, and give it to my son. I am not feeling a new build though.

#4469285 - 04/07/19 12:53 AM Re: Ship names [Re: DM]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
This thread is so far off the rails that I may as well keep it going.

I've spent the past few days conflicted as I have both enjoyed the break from gaming, and have missed it at the same time lol.

I went with plan B. Build a new box. Ordered the parts today. It'll be a budget build based on a Ryzen/1660Ti. It should crush Elite anyway. My dead box did, so this one should be marginally better, and I am OK with that. Once the parts get here it, how soon I am back in the 'pit will depend entirely on my motivation. When I was building boxes at 30 I was all in. At 51, it lacks similar appeal. The deciding factor was that I priced pre-builts and didn't want to pay someone a grand to do it for me. I sure wish someone would build it for free! I guess someone will banghead

#4469322 - 04/07/19 09:40 AM Re: Ship names [Re: DM]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
I can sympathise with you DBond. I used to build all my own PC's. I did it for family and friends and then for friends of friends. Now at 59 I don't want to do another one ever. My last 2 PC's have been custom builds from Overclockers.co.uk here in the UK. I've never owned anything 'cutting edge' so I need a new one every 5 years or so.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4469351 - 04/07/19 01:11 PM Re: Ship names [Re: DM]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah Chucky, right there with ya. The parts I bought ran about $900. I priced similar builds at a number of companies. Most were nearly $1000 higher.

These companies buy components for far less than I can, so they are seemingly charging in excess of $1000 to put it together. It's just too much. If there was a $300 markup I could live with it. The best pricing was from CyberPower but I read too many horror stories and decided against it. There is a reason they are so cheap I reckon. If they had glowing reviews I may have gone that route to save me the trouble.

Better names like Origin, Digital Storm, Velocity Micro and so on were all about $1800-$2000 for a similar box. I have a thread in the hardware subforum with more detail on the components I chose. Parts should be arriving over the next few days, and I will buckle down at some point and attempt to make them work nicely together.

#4469386 - 04/07/19 05:38 PM Re: Ship names [Re: DM]  
JohnnyChemo Online sleepy
JohnnyChemo  Online Sleepy

Buffalo, NY
I always build my own systems as well, but almost always at a time of my own choosing. Upgrading sucks when it's forced on you.

Bright side is you'll have a nice shiny new toy, and your son might wind up with something he'll enjoy as well.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4469390 - 04/07/19 05:58 PM Re: Ship names [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by JohnnyChemo
Upgrading sucks when it's forced on you.

Well said. It was running great, and everything I play ran like butter on it. Upgrading only becomes a thing once it dawns on you that your new favorite game struggles to run smoothly. All of a sudden you're thinking you need to upgrade.

I had yet to come close to that point so to have it die was deflating. Building an entire new machine instead of just fixing the dead one might seem a strange solution, but you obviously read my plan involves giving my son a kick-ass machine as I pass on the hobby. It'll blow away anything his friends might have and that makes it all worth while biggrin

It's not just the fact I have to put it together, but then there is cabling, drivers, reinstalling software, remapping controls, and on and on and it's exhausting at this age! Haha. Remember back in the day when we would defrag before installing anything new? Or managing swapfiles.Or just formatting your drive on a regular schedule? None of that bothered me then. But even just thinking about it now and I shudder. I've moved on to want as work-free gaming as I can get.

Speaking of which.... My Steam install was on my mechanical drive, and that's likely good to go and I can put it in the new box. Can I install Steam on the new machine, and have it see my old Steam folder without issues? Would be great to not have to reinstall all my games. I imagine this can't work because there would be no registry entries, or maybe Steam doesn't need that? Just hoping to find some shortcuts.

Last edited by DBond; 04/07/19 06:08 PM.

#4469414 - 04/07/19 09:20 PM Re: Ship names [Re: DM]  

Buffalo, NY

Reading the steps that are involved made groan. I don't envy you in that. I upgraded mysystem recently, but it didn't require reinstalling everything, it was just swapping in the new parts and letting windows figure it out.

I'm guessing "no" on the Steam library, but if you used the cloud option you can at least take comfort in knowing your saves aren't lost.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
-Robert Heinlein
#4469436 - 04/07/19 10:51 PM Re: Ship names [Re: DM]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
I keep my Steam games on a separate disk. If I have to reinstall the O/S I just install Steam and it picks up all the games. No need to reinstall any of them.

#4469441 - 04/07/19 11:08 PM Re: Ship names [Re: DM]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
That's reassuring Chucky. I assume I would need to 'point' Steam toward the disk with the games already on it, and it's all good from there?

It's possible that my OS drive is also still good. But past experience with putting an OS drive from one machine in to another with all different hardware can lead to trouble. Maybe that's not so much of an issue these days, but I planed to use the new SSD instead of the old one. So at min I think for Elite, I will have to remap everything and journals would be gone. I could hook up that SSD too and transfer these journals. Are they all that important?

#4469443 - 04/07/19 11:16 PM Re: Ship names [Re: DM]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Yup,that's right. It's never failed me yet.

Not sure what you mean by journals but I have my E:D controls backed up so I don't ever have to remap them.

#4469455 - 04/08/19 01:10 AM Re: Ship names [Re: DM]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I've intended to back them up myself. Actually doing it is far more useful smile

It won't take too long to remap.

Journals (JSON) are files Elite generates that basically track everything you do. Useful for third party sites, but I suppose more so as a backup since I use EDMC. Haven't needed to use a JSON file since I started using it so probably no big deal.

#4469461 - 04/08/19 01:56 AM Re: Ship names [Re: DM]  

Buffalo, NY
If you can still access the original OS drive after you get the new one set up, you might be able to rescue the bindings from the Elite directory. You don't do any kind of cloud backup do you?
I use Carbonite and it backs up everything on my computer. Price isn't too bad either, and it gives peace of mind.

-Robert Heinlein
#4469470 - 04/08/19 07:49 AM Re: Ship names [Re: DM]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

About half a year ago a Windows 10 update crashed my system to the point that I couldn't boot - had to reinstall... However, with the games on different disk/partitions hardly anything was lost on that end. Even to the point of ED mappings and such.
When I got this PC about two years ago, I either just moved the disks from the old to the new PC (2x SSD + 1 HDD) or temporarily hooked up the main disk from the old PC to copy stuff over.

All this recent talking about E:D, I decided to play again as well this weekend. However, what scared me a little was indeed to setup the control mappings for the new exporation tools and such - I stopped during the beta-phase for 3.3, thus I had a mapping for that. Tried to find the beta mapping file to copy it over the regular game - took me a little while to realise that beta and regular game seem to use the same mapping file, and thus everything was still setup and ready to go banghead
Not looking forward to map the new mining stuff though.... But such are future troubles - I went straight to a little expedition (with no specific goals) - right now I am >7kly out (further than I have ever been before, close to the Heart and Soul nebulaes), in my trusty old AspX Jolly Jumper.
EDSM rates the value of my discoveries on this trip to almost 250 million credits already - considering that I didn't find a lot of special things like ELWs or AWs (2 of each, I think), and mostly just mapped (=probed) terraformables, the first scanned/mapped bonusses seem to be inflationary, compared to my past experience pre-3.3.

Last edited by WhoCares; 04/08/19 08:50 AM.
#4469489 - 04/08/19 11:34 AM Re: Ship names [Re: DM]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Welcome back! The only mapping you'll need to do for mining is assigning fire groups.

#4469497 - 04/08/19 12:28 PM Re: Ship names [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by JohnnyChemo
If you can still access the original OS drive after you get the new one set up, you might be able to rescue the bindings from the Elite directory. You don't do any kind of cloud backup do you?
I use Carbonite and it backs up everything on my computer. Price isn't too bad either, and it gives peace of mind.

No I don't use da Cloud.

I thought the bindings were kept somewhere else, like documents or something. They are in the Elite directory?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.