Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15
#4466744 - 03/20/19 10:58 PM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S. of ...
13 March 1915

Rain is still falling all across Flanders.

In Verdun the sky is overcast and dry, but all the snow has semi-melted into a soft, squishy mud several inches thick.

At Pontfaverger the mechanics are setting up the equipment they've managed to scavenge a set of parallel bars and three springboards for exersize. The camp doctor has spent his own money to purchase a cinema projector, and the men at the trenches are given time off in shifts to join the aircrews and mechanics for the ocassional film.

14 March 1915

The weather is no better today than it ever seems to be.

15 March 1915

The weather continues to be bad.

16 March 1915

Yet another day of bad weather.

Some people are born stupid. I've had to work hard my whole life to get this way. I'm proud of the job I've done
#4467154 - 03/23/19 09:04 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

17 March 1915

The Verdun area is heavily overcast, but clear enough for some flying.

Senard Aerodrome, Verdun
Noel Kay writes: "1148: Local patrol over our own field. Basically just using the weather to get some flying time in. 1 hour 5 minutes."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "1158: Overcast but able to make a patrol. Flew south over Somme-Vesle. 1 hour 56 minutes."

Some people are born stupid. I've had to work hard my whole life to get this way. I'm proud of the job I've done
#4467197 - 03/23/19 06:44 PM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

18 March 1915

Flanders is still raining. Verdun is still overcast but flyable.

Senard Aerodrome, Verdun
Noel Kay writes: "1307: Photography mission over Charleville, very deep into enemy territory. 3 hours 4 minutes."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "1408: Scouting flight over Epernay. 1 hour 47 minutes."

#4467265 - 03/24/19 03:28 PM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

19 March 1915

Bertincourt
Lennart Altendorf writes: "0821: Scouting mission over the trenches west of Lens with Vfw Leffers. Saw my first enemy machines today. Two biplanes – English type. Prepared to run, as we’ve heard they are arming some of their machines. They ignored us, though, and soon disappeared into the clouds. 1 hour 43 minutes."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer
Filimor Hance writes: "0822: Defensive patrol over our own airfield at Droglandt, an old familiar field. Flying second to SLt Masson Sollier. 1 hour 12 minutes. Garros has disappeared for the time being, off on some assignment He has been taking these “mystery trips” on and off since January, and nobody seems to know what is up."

Saint-Omer
Dugan Vystavel writes: "0902: Led Sgt Crowe on a mission to bomb a rail yard north of Lens. 1 hour 56 minutes."

Gonneham
Corrigan Aujla writes: "It’s been nine days since we last flew! The constant rain has finally lifted and we are in the air again. 0903: Part of a three-plane flight led by Lt Cruikshank to bomb a rail yard north of Lens. 1 hour 20 minutes."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "0909: Scouting flight over the trenches from the Aisne River down to Sillery. 1 hour 45 minutes."

Senard, Verdun
Noel Kay writes: "0926: Another photography mission, this time over Sedan. 2 hours 39 minutes."

#4467348 - 03/25/19 02:19 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

20 March 1915

Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer
Filimor Hance writes: "0802: Offensive patrol over the lines near Paaschendale, again with SLt Masson Sollier. 1 hour 31 minutes."

Bertincourt
Lennart Altenforf writes: "0902: Artillery spotting over the trenches near Cappy, Vfw Leffers supporting. 1 hour 41 minutes."

Gonneham
Corrigan Aujla writes: "0923: Supported Lt Cruikshank photographing enemy trenches east of Lens. 1 hour 40 minutes."

Saint-Omer
Dugan Vystavel writes: "0958: Scouting mission over German airfield at Haubourdin. 2 hours 2 minutes."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "1108: Another scouting flight over Epernay. 2 hours 2 minutes."

Senard
Noel Kay writes: "1219: Quick scouting mission over nearby trenches. 50 minutes."

#4467404 - 03/25/19 03:55 PM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

21 March 1915

Winter closes in yet again. The snow seems to be mostly gone, but a new set of rainstorms sweeps through the front.

22 March 1915

Today is warmer, but still raining all across the fronts.

#4467731 - 03/27/19 01:08 PM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

23 March 1915

Still raining over the Verdun area, but Flanders has dried out a bit.

Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer
Filimor Hance writes: "0823: Another offensive patrol over the lines near Niewpoort. Again with SLt Masson Sollier. 1 hour 16 minutes."

Gonneham
Corrigan Aujla writes: "0903: With Lt Cruikshank on a mission to observe an enemy observation balloon. The order said “Attack”. With what? A carbine? We stayed well above the Archie and looked at it for awhile. 1 hour 16 minutes."

Saint-Omer
Dugan Vystavel writes: "0903: Scouting over airfield at Houplin, near Loos, again with Billy Crowe in company. 2 hours 12 minutes."

Bertincourt
Lennart Altendorf writes: "0907: Artillery Spotting near Lens. Offstv Friedel accompanying. 2 hours 23 minutes."

#4467788 - 03/27/19 06:59 PM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

24 March 1915

A new storm is moving into Flanders and the last one is still hovering over Verdun.

25 March 1915

No letup in the weather. It's raining everywhere.

26 March 1915

The Winter rain continues, even though it's technically Spring.

#4468390 - 04/01/19 07:06 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

27 March 1915

Gonneham
Corrigan Aujla writes: "0820: Followed Lt Cruikshank on a scouting mission over the enemy aerodrome at Haubourdin. 1 hour 42 minutes."

Saint-Omer
Dugan Vystavel writes: "0825: Supported Lt Ellis on an Artillery Spotting mission. 1 hour 56 minutes."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer
Filimor Hance writes: "0903: Defensive patrol over our airfield at Abeele, with Lt Masson Sollier. 1 hour 20 minutes.
Garros has returned. It seems that he and his personal mechanic Hue have been spending time at the Morane Saulnier factory in Paris, working with Raymond Saulnier on some kind of a mechanism that will let him shoot a Hotchkiss machine gun through his propeller. He showed us the system and told us he would be going hunting for Germans as soon as possible. We are all curious about the thing and he gladly showed us all how it works. I’m not sure I understand completely, but it has metal wedges bolted to the propeller to push any bullets that come in contact out of the way. It will be interesting to see if he gets any results."

Bertincourt
Lennart Altendorf writes: "1003: Scouting mission over the trenches near Herleville, with Vfw Leffers. 2 hours 1 minute."

Senard, Verdun
Noel Kay writes: "1100: Took off for photo mission over Guignicourt, looking for suspected enemy troop buildup. Engine failed. Managed to land back at field. 7 minutes.
1123: Took off again in spare plane. Arrived over Guignicourt, took pictures. Followed the Aisne west back over the lines. Motorcycle dispatch rider waiting for us on the field on our return. I guess these pictures are important. 1 hour 55 minutes."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "1325: Long scouting flight over enemy airfield at Champaubert. 2 hours 13 minutes."

#4468529 - 04/02/19 03:07 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

28 March 1915

Verdun is suffering under another rainstorm, but Flanders is quite active.

Gonneham
Corrigan Aujla writes: "0903: Lt Christensen and I supported Lt Cruikshank on a Photo mission over the trenches near Lens. 1 hour 21 minutes."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer
Filimor Hance writes: "0906: Defensive Patrol with Sgt Desramée over our airfield at Droglandt. 1 hour 30 minutes. Garros went on his own special mission – an Offensive Patrol looking for Germans to attack with his new gun system. He returned, like us, having seen nothing.

Saint-Omer
Dugan Vystavel writes: "1024: Scouting misson with Lt Lehman. 1 hour 44 minutes."

Bertincourt
Lennart Altendorf writes: "1102: Photography mission, Vfw Leffers supporting. 1 hour 29 minutes."

#4468681 - 04/03/19 05:04 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

29 March 1915

Saint Omer
Dugan Vystavel writes: "0809: Supported Lt Ellis on an Artillery Spotting mission over the trenches near Lens. 2 hours 21 minutes."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer
Filimor Hance writes: "0903: Offensive patrol over the lines near Niewpoort, Lt Coupet leading. 1 hour 22 minutes."

Gonneham
Corrigan Aujla writes: "0925: Scouting mission over Haubourdin again, with Sgt Alford supporting. 1 hour 32 minutes."

Bertincourt
Lennart Altendorf writes: "1101: Scouting mission over Allied positions west of Arras. Vfw Leffers supporting. While crossing the lines engine quit. Was able to glide several kilometres back into our own lines. Made safe landing about 1 km from an observation balloon. Used their telephone to call base. Vfw Leffers was able to complete the mission. 1 hour 14 minutes."
Garros went off on his own again. Returned with nothing to report.

Senard, Verdun
Noel Kay writes: "1132: Misty weather. Scouting suspected troop buildup in the woods around Buzancy. Didn’t see anything. 1 hour 19 minutes."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "1552: Misty day. Scouting mission, further west than usual, over the trenches near Pinon. 1 hour 55 minutes."

#4468708 - 04/03/19 01:03 PM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

30 March 1015

Another storm sweeps across the Front during the night. Everyone is grounded again as heavy rains turn everything to mud.

#4469200 - 04/06/19 01:56 PM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

31 March 1915

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "0850: Followed Ltns Boelcke and Müller on a scouting flight down to Commercy. 2 hours 7 minutes."

Saint-Omer
Dugan Vystavel writes: "0901: Photo-Reconnaissance mission over trenches near Lens. Lt Aldaine supporting 2 hours 21 minutes."

Bertincourt
Lennart Altendorf writes: "0901: Photo mission over the trenches south of Bapaume. 1 hour 47 minutes."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer
Filimor Hance writes: "1001: Offensive patrol over the lines near Niewpoort again. This time I was alone. 1 hour 44 minutes. Garros went out alone again. Says he encountered no enemy aircraft."

Gonneham
Corrigan Aujla writes: "1218: Lt Cruikshank, Lt Harvey-Kelly and I were sent to that same observation balloon. We saw it. 1 hour 29 minutes."

Senard
Noel Kay writes: "1621: Sent back to Buzancy again. Heavy overcast. Had to drop to 1,000 metres, but nothing to see. 1 hour 8 minutes."

#4469298 - 04/07/19 02:25 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

1 April 1915

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "0557: Short solo scouting mission over Somme-Vesle. 1 hour 28 minutes."

Senard
Noel Kay writes: "0644: Photo mission over Sedan. Beautiful clear sky. 1 hour 41 minutes."

Gonneham
Corrigan Aujla writes: "0821: Went with Lt Harvey-Kelly to bomb a railyard north of Vitry. 1 hour 29 minutes."

Saint-Omer
Dugan Vystavel writes: "0923: Supported Lt Lehman on an Artillery-Spotting mission southwest of Neuve-Chapelle. 2 hours 6 minutes."

Bertincourt
Lennart Altendorf writes: "1003: Bombing mission on a factory near Arras. Vfw Leffers as second. 1 hour 47 minutes."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer
Filimor Hanse writes: "1104: Offensive patrol over the lines, this time near Paaschendale. 1 hour 21 minutes.
Garros has done it! He returned from his solo flight claiming to have shot down a German Albatros machine! There is no confirmation as of yet, but his forward gun has been fired several times. If someone saw it, this will be the first time such a feat has been accomplished! All of us are clamoring to fly with him the next time so we can provide affirmation when he does it again. Of course the truth is that we just want to see it happen for ourselves. We also want to have one of these gun fixtures for our own machines."

#4469450 - 04/08/19 12:30 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

2 April 1915

Gonneham
Corrigan Aujla writes: "0501: Bombing mission against a railyard north of Lens, with Major Salmond and Lt Cruikshank. Had barely reached altitude when my engine failed. Managed to land just west of the aerodrome at Merville. 33 minutes.."

Saint-Omer
Dugan Vystavel writes: "0530: Trench-mapping mission with Lt Buck near Neuve-Chapelle. 2 hours 13 minutes."

Senard
Noel Kay writes: "Our new Commander arrived yesterday, Capitaine Louis Mazier.
0841: Scouting mission over the lines from Reims down to Sillery. Heavy overcast. 1 hour 56 minutes."

Bertincourt
Lennart Altendorf writes: "1102: Scouting mission over the trenches. Took a Flak hit. Both of us scratched and the engine knocked out. Made it halfway back to Bertincourt and landed near an observation balloon. 37 minutes."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer
Filimor Hanse writes: "1108: Defensive patrol over our airfield at Coudekerque, with Adj Coupet. 1 hour 4 minutes."

Garros has gone off alone again. He says he prefers it that way, and wishes the rest of us would stop badgering him. Well, despite his low rank he is rich, popular and famous as the first man to fly across the Mediterranean Sea, so he pretty much gets what he wants. Some confirmation of his victory has come through in the form of some farmers who say they saw the fight from the ground."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "1505: Scouting mission over the lines near Varennes-en-Argonne, with Ltns Boelcke and Müller. Engine failed on approach and we hit some trees. Both Hptm Straub and I are in the hospital for an indeterminate amount of time. Some serious cuts and bruises but nothing broken on either of us. 1 hour 32 minutes."

#4469579 - 04/09/19 05:01 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

3 April 1915

Saint-Omer
Dugan Vystavel writes: "0602: Lt Ellis and I are assigned to scout an enemy balloon. 2 hours 6 minutes.
1509: Lt Ellis and I flew a second mission, this time scouting the enemy aerodrome at Hambourdin. 2 hours."

Bertincourt
Lennart Altendorf writes: "1001: Showed a new pilot, Vfw Fricke, around the area. Took him from our base at Bertincourt north to Monchy-le-Preux, then up to our airfield at Phalempin, southeast to Douai then home again. 3 hours 1 minute.

Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer
Filimor Hanse writes: "1117: Offensive patrol over the lines near Niewpoort. Traveling alone again. Saw nothing. 1 hour 20 minutes."

Senard
Noel Kay writes: "1156: Sent north to scout Buzancy again. Propeller failed along the way. Made it back to Senard safely. 28 minutes."

Gonneham
Corrigan Aujla writes: "Rain squall moving through. No flying today."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "Ltn Boelcke came to visit us today with some sad news. His older brother, our beloved Hptm Wilhelm Boelcke, has been transferred to a new unit. Hptm Straub and I will have to miss the party."

#4469695 - 04/09/19 09:57 PM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

4 April 1915

Gonneham
Corrigan Aujla writes: "0501: Took of with Lt Harvey-Kelly before dawn for scouting mission over enemy aerodrome at Bertincourt. Harvey-Kelly hit by Archie while over target. He managed to make it back to friendly lines while I finished the patrol. 2 hours 8 minutes."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer
Filimor Hance writes: "1108: Offensive patrol over the lines near Diksmuide, with Cpl Barra. 1 hour 30 minutes.
Yesterday Adolph Péguod, in a Morane two-seater like ours, claimed two more enemy aircraft. The newspapers are calling him “The Ace”.

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "Found out today that Ltn Boelcke’s visit was more than just to see us. He was having problems with his breathing. The doctor said something about “murmurs in the bronchial tubes”, and he is being sent to the convalescent home at Rethel for three weeks. Meanwhile Hptm Straub and I are getting on just fine."

Senard
Noel Kay writes: "A rain storm moved through today. No flying."

Saint-Omer
Dugan Vystavel writes: "Woke up to rain this morning. We are once again grounded."

Bertincourt
Lennart Altendorf writes: "Rain has beset us again. We sit here, hoping for better weather tomorrow."

#4469905 - 04/11/19 12:52 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

5 April 1915

Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer
Filimor Hance writes: "1104: Offensive patrol over the enemy airfield at Ghistelles, near the town of Zerkegem, again with Cpl Barra. 1 hour 31 minutes."

Senard
Noel Kay writes: "1238: Sent on long patrol over Bruvéres-et-Montbérault. Almost there when engine started acting up. Made it south to Rosnay. Engine should be repaired tomorrow. 1 hour 42 minutes.

The rest of Flanders is rained in, and at Pontfaverger Odis Först and his observer Hauptmann Straub are still in the hospital.

#4470089 - 04/12/19 02:54 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

6 April 1915

Gonneham
Corrigan Aujla writes: "0422: Took off before dawn with Lt Christenson for a Photo-Recce of the lines near Ypres. 1 hour 44 minutes."

Senard
Noel Kay writes: "0456: Engine finished after dark last night. Made flight from Rosnay back to Senard. 54 minutes.
1538: Second try at Bruvéres-et-Montbérault. The mechanics at Rosnay did their job. 2 hours 4 minutes.

Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer
Filimor Hance writes: "1105: Escorting British BE.2s bombing railyard, with Cpl Barra. 2 hours 7 minutes."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "Sitting in the garden at the hospital. Nothing much to do but read and talk to the other patients."

Saint-Omer
Dugan Vystavel writes: "Another rainy day."

Bertincourt
Lennart Altendorf writes: "Still raining."

#4470251 - 04/13/19 06:10 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

7 April 1915

Bertincourt
Lennart Altendorf writes: "0421: Took off in the dark for an Artillery Spotting mission. Vfw Fricke accompanying. Arrived just at dawn. 1 hour 46 minutes."

Saint-Omer
Dugan Vystavel writes: "0601: Overcast. Scouting mission over Phalempin with Lts Ellis and Lehman. 2 hours 28 minutes.
1530: Second mission of the day. Scouting with Lt Lehman over an enemy balloon. 1 hour 53 minutes."

Gonneham
Corrigan Aujla writes: "Sad news today. While returning from an afternoon patrol yesterday 2nd Lt Carl Christenson and his observer, Lt Ted Fogg, were both killed in a crash.
0606: Accompanied Lt Harvey-Kelly on a Photo-Recce mission over the lines again. 1 hour 33 minutes.

Senard
Noel Kay writes: "A rain storm has moved into our area. We are once again grounded."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "Pouring rain outside right now, so we sit and play cards in the tiny sitting room, waiting to return to our Feld Flieger Unit."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer
Filimor Hance writes: "A rain storm is moving through our area."

Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM