Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4466456 - 03/19/19 03:23 PM Mining Essentials?  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I want to both hit Elite for trade rank, and unlock Selene Jean. So that means mining. Void Opals in particular since that is clearly the most profitable route. I watched a couple of videos and read a few threads. I plan to use the Python, but could also go Krait II if there's a better reason. If I use the Python then I plan to turn the Krait in to a bounty hunter.

So what do I need?

-- Abrasion Blaster. Just one? Any advantage to two?
-- Mining Laser? I see these used and not used in builds. Would I want one? Is it not needed if doing only core mining?
-- DSS. Check
-- Seismic Charge Launcher. How many? Do they come in different classes?
-- Prospector Limpet Controller? Just one? Class?
-- Collector Limpet Controller. How many in your mining build?
-- Pulse Wave Scanner
-- Cargo Racks. Check
-- Refinery

Forgetting anything?

I am going to go try out my shiny new permit and then can see all available modules and classes.

Anyone care to post their mining build?

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4466464 - 03/19/19 04:16 PM Re: Mining Essentials? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I flew to Jameson. Exclusive digs round here.

I see my choices for most of this stuff comes down to fixed/turreted, not class, as there aren't multiple options.

Initially, I've gone with a 4A refinery, 3A collector and prospecting controllers, and fixed blaster and seismic whizbang. Does turreted make it a lot easier? Got the A class Pulse Scanner too. Interestingly, all the stuff I chose put me exactly on my power limit to the hundredth of a megawatt. Seems like good mojo.

I loaded 80 limpets and also see I have to load seismic charges. These take no inventory space? so may as well fill 'em up.

Here's the build. The DSS is G3 Probe but doesn't show.

Takao in Mining Trim

What am I missing? What would you change?

(I corrected the double prospecting controller mistake and replaced it with collecting)

#4466470 - 03/19/19 04:37 PM Re: Mining Essentials? [Re: DBond]  
DM Online content
DM  Online Content

Prague
Originally Posted by DBond
I want to both hit Elite for trade rank, and unlock Selene Jean. So that means mining. Void Opals in particular since that is clearly the most profitable route. I watched a couple of videos and read a few threads. I plan to use the Python, but could also go Krait II if there's a better reason. If I use the Python then I plan to turn the Krait in to a bounty hunter.

So what do I need?

-- Abrasion Blaster. Just one? Any advantage to two?
-- Mining Laser? I see these used and not used in builds. Would I want one? Is it not needed if doing only core mining?
-- DSS. Check
-- Seismic Charge Launcher. How many? Do they come in different classes?
-- Prospector Limpet Controller? Just one? Class?
-- Pulse Wave Scanner
-- Cargo Racks. Check
-- Refinery

Forgetting anything?

I am going to go try out my shiny new permit and then can see all available modules and classes.

Anyone care to post their mining build?

I've tried mining just a couple of times now, got some low temp diamonds and some void opals, they both get good prices at the right stations. But man am I having a hard time of it biggrin finding the right asteroid is mostly luck, when you ping the pulse sensor you look for the brightest most yellow asteroids as far as I can tell, then before launching a limpet at it (I haven't found any way to recover them so I presume they're a one-time use only item) I look for little telltale cracks in it that indicates it's splittable.

After firing the limpet & targeting it, it tells me the asteroid's contents and displays where the deposits are, and where the fissures are. Most often the asteroid is revealed as having something I'm not looking for so I need to move on. The most difficult thing for me right now is getting the seismic charge right, I don't know how to read the display in the top right yet. I mostly have just over-charged the fissures and lost a portion of the deposits, but I still get a nice return on what I do get.

Some deposits float off due to the explosion, the rest you need to use the abrasion weapon on, you only need one of those btw. Some deposits float free, other disintegrate, maybe as a result of my crappy seismic technique or maybe I need to aim different.

After that, because I didn't have any collector limpets I had to move in & manually scoop them up, which is very fraught for two reasons:
1. It gets progressively more difficult to see in the ice cloud (use night vision to help)
2. while you're in the ice cloud your ship freezes and you get warnings & frozen cockpit glass, so I either nudge in, scoop & reverse out as fast as I can, or run in, scoop, then run out the other side. I don't want to continue this & it takes ages and becomes difficult as the asteroid chunks move around so I'm definitely going for the collector limpets next time smile

Prospector Limpet Controller? Just one? Class?

You need one of each, but they're just controllers, you still need to stock up on limpets themselves. I have a fond memory of turning up to a hotspot and realising I didn't have them :/ I think there's just one kind of limpet, which changes role depending on how you've fired it. As far as I can tell, the limpets take up cargo space. Might be wrong about that though. I have 32 tonnes cargo space, and I can stock up with up to 32 limpets. I assume I need to balance limpet space with expected scooped/collected mineral space, but ultimately I'd fire off cheap limpets rather than not pick up void opals wink

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4466481 - 03/19/19 05:09 PM Re: Mining Essentials? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Great reply, thanks. That helps. Yes, about how many controllers. Not sure what I was thinking. Just one of each. Are you using fixed or turreted for your shooty things?

I've loaded the ship out, used Inara to find a good sell station, then found an Icy Ring 4 LY from there. I stuck it with a probe and flew in to the huge hotspot where I am about to blow some rocks up. I hope. The HUD color change is messing me up at the moment, but it will all work itself out.

My Python has 160t cargo as you can see in the build. So I figure half of that for limpets should be a good starting spot. As the hold fills, the limpets will be expended and if things go well should work. But like you I will probably shoot a bunch simply in search of the good stuff. Speaking of which, what are the best sellers? You mentioned Diamonds and Void Opals. Anthracite sell for a good price too I think. Anyone got other stuff they mine for good profit?

#4466491 - 03/19/19 05:50 PM Re: Mining Essentials? [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Going for Trade Elite now?

Here's my Python build
https://s.orbis.zone/2f9k

Basically the difference is the optionals.
I have a 5A collector and a 3A shield with 3 6E cargo holds.
I found the 5A collector with 3 active limpets was noticeably quicker in cleaning up a frack than the 3A.
I have the fixed blasters too. Never tried turreted, so I can't comment on those.

There is a limit to how many seismic charges you have, but they don't seem to take any space so no worries there. They get reloaded when you restock at a station.

There used to be a bug where multiple abrasions would give multiple chunks but that was fixed and I never got around to changing my build. I do think two
placed on either side of the hull gives you a better opportunity to hit deposits in some of the tighter places you have to get to.

The engineered thrusters will be nice for the tight maneuvering you have to do too. You have thrusters mapped, right? I use them a LOT in mining. I have them mapped
to a hat on my Cougar.

Keep your pulse wave scanner going at all times - the more it hits a rock the better indications you get of cores. I mapped mine to the trigger and have a command that will
simulate it being held so I don't actually have to. Of course this becomes and issue when I don't disable and switch to seismics right away!!

You can Google for pictures of core rocks, eventually you'll get to know what to look for. Until then you'll fire off a lot of prospectors in your hunt. The key for me is they are very bright,
and usually have a black grid on them as well. Again keep the pulse wave scanner going and that will accentuate these characteristics.

I also like to skim the top (or bottom I guess!) of the ring as I cruise with the pulse wave going.

Use Inara to find the best places to sell. Don't sell for less than 1.6m. Low temp diamonds are worth mining too, but don't go crazy cracking every core - you'll have to run all over
the bubble to get best prices if you wind up with a lot of different things.

Don't forget to restock limpets after you sell off your haul too!

Last edited by JohnnyChemo; 03/19/19 06:14 PM.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4466492 - 03/19/19 06:05 PM Re: Mining Essentials? [Re: DM]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted by DM

After firing the limpet & targeting it, it tells me the asteroid's contents and displays where the deposits are, and where the fissures are. Most often the asteroid is revealed as having something I'm not looking for so I need to move on. The most difficult thing for me right now is getting the seismic charge right, I don't know how to read the display in the top right yet. I mostly have just over-charged the fissures and lost a portion of the deposits, but I still get a nice return on what I do get.

Target the fissure, and it will tell you whether to shoot high, low, or average yield. Yield strength is dependent on length of time you hold trigger down. When you release, wherever the meter is will be the yield strength. As you add charges to the rock, the meter on the right will rise. You want to keep it in the blue. It will say "Optimal Yield" on it when you get there. If you go into the red, you will lose some fragments when the rock pops, and if it isn't high enough it won't frack. If it doesn't frack, you may still be able to crack it by firing more charges if there are any fissures left (fissures are one time use). Once you hit the optimal, start backing out. You can take damage if you are too close. It is quite a sight too, so be watching! About 1,000m is good enough.

After that, because I didn't have any collector limpets I had to move in & manually scoop them up, which is very fraught for two reasons:
1. It gets progressively more difficult to see in the ice cloud (use night vision to help)
2. while you're in the ice cloud your ship freezes and you get warnings & frozen cockpit glass, so I either nudge in, scoop & reverse out as fast as I can, or run in, scoop, then run out the other side. I don't want to continue this & it takes ages and becomes difficult as the asteroid chunks move around so I'm definitely going for the collector limpets next time smile

I keep night vision on from the time I start flying through the belt. It also highlights the fissures better. I couldn't imagine having to chase down all the frags, I bounce off the rocks when I'm maneuvering to blast them as it is!

Prospector Limpet Controller? Just one? Class?

You need one of each, but they're just controllers, you still need to stock up on limpets themselves. I have a fond memory of turning up to a hotspot and realising I didn't have them :/ I think there's just one kind of limpet, which changes role depending on how you've fired it. As far as I can tell, the limpets take up cargo space. Might be wrong about that though. I have 32 tonnes cargo space, and I can stock up with up to 32 limpets. I assume I need to balance limpet space with expected scooped/collected mineral space, but ultimately I'd fire off cheap limpets rather than not pick up void opals wink

The different size controllers will allow more/less limpets at once. The different grades influence the range IIRC. I've always read to stick with the A's, so that's what I do. Two prospectors are plenty. You do as DM said - fire them and target them. I find it takes a moment for them to actually launch, so make sure you are pointing at the rock you want them to hit. If you move before they are under way, they will miss. They are not smart or guided, so you have to point and shoot.

I like having the 3 collectors from the size 5. I had a size 3 and upgraded it to clean up faster, so it's really a matter of preference. Try what you have and see how it works. If you wind up sitting and waiting for you collectors, then consider a bigger size. You'll go through a lot of limpets too. The prospectors are one use only and the collectors have a tendency of crashing in the frack field, so you may have to launch more while you are cleaning up. Check your contacts for limpets and make sure you have your max out. If you only have one (or none!) and still have a bunch of fragments to go, fire off more.

Last edited by JohnnyChemo; 03/19/19 06:09 PM. Reason: mucho typos

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
-Robert Heinlein
#4466496 - 03/19/19 06:45 PM Re: Mining Essentials? [Re: DBond]  
WingNuts01 Offline
WingNuts01  Offline

Huntington Beach, CA
Here's how I setup my Krait for mining;
2B Sesimic charge launcher fixed
1D Abrasion blaster fixed X2 (no benefit for 2 now just haven't taken it off

OA Pulse Wave Analyzer
OI Point defense (make sure this is mounted close to your cargo hatch to kill those hatch breaker limpets

6E Cargo racks X2 (I usually bring 100 limpets
5A fuel scoop (Void Opels are a ways out
5A Shield Gen G5 reinforced Hi-Cap
4A Refinery
3A Prospector Ctrl
3A Collector Ctrl
Surface scanner

Back in Christmas Break I racked up a little over 2b in 2 weeks. Almost a full hold each time. I became a Void Opel snob passing everything else. When your cargo is full you can use your Refinery hoppers as storage (also why I dump everything else) Once you know what to look for (shape color fisures) it's easy. Take your time placing charges and try to use medium strength only as you build up to "Optimal Charge". You REALLY want that optimal status as it affects how much the roid will deliver. Optimal 13 to 19 ton, not best 5 to 7 tons.

I wish I were there so you could crew with me. Thats a good way to see the mechanics, know shape of roid to look for, color of roid and what fisures look like.

i5-2500K @4.3gh
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
16gb Mushkin PC3 1600
EVGA 760 4gb DDR5 2768 KR
CoolerMaster 922 Mesh 3x200mm, 2x140mm fans
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO
WD Caviar BLK 500gb SATA 6gb
WD Caviar BLK 1TB SATA 6gb
Intel 730 Series 480GB SATA 6gb
OCZ ZX-850 Gold
Lite-On DVD Burner
27" Samsung 2770FH
Warthog #11118 Woot!!!
Sennheiser 360 Headphones
#4466515 - 03/19/19 08:04 PM Re: Mining Essentials? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Wow, great responses, thanks fellas. Don't sweat it Wingy, I'll work it out.

My first go ended in despair though. I flew through the asteroid field and scanned and prospected, but never saw a composition of anything I recognized as valuable. I should have practiced a few explosions, but didn't. Flew home, then took the FDL out for a bit of bounty hunting and promptly earned my own bounty in a compromised nav. So had to leave and got nothing done. I'll have another crack later.

#4466524 - 03/19/19 09:12 PM Re: Mining Essentials? [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
My usual spot was Arima 7B, happy to share it if you want to take the trip!

-Robert Heinlein
#4466571 - 03/20/19 01:18 AM Re: Mining Essentials? [Re: DBond]  
WingNuts01 Offline
WingNuts01  Offline

Huntington Beach, CA
DBond...................................................................................................................................

You need a point defense on the bottom of what ever ship you mine in. You don't want some NPC stealing your opels.

Now days you need to travel out a ways to locate a opel site. That means using your surface scanner to explore those ice rings. My experience has been that when you drop into a hot spot and you see a fog or cloudiness move on. Just move out a little farther and try again. Resist collecting everything. Go for the good stuff.

Now you have identified a potentially good site. Before you start mining check Inara for the best sell location. Enter that into your nav computer and have a "Next sys in Route" key bound. If you get jumped you close the cargo hatch, hit the next sys in route key, boost and jump. Safer that way.

Reread that 1st line again. You'll thank me later.

BTW I think the Krait is more maneuverable placing those charges. View is certainly better than Python. Best view for mining is the Asp Ex.

Last edited by WingNuts01; 03/20/19 01:21 AM.

i5-2500K @4.3gh
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
16gb Mushkin PC3 1600
OCZ ZX-850 Gold
Lite-On DVD Burner
27" Samsung 2770FH
Warthog #11118 Woot!!!
#4466604 - 03/20/19 11:52 AM Re: Mining Essentials? [Re: WingNuts01]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Originally Posted by WingNuts01

I wish I were there so you could crew with me. Thats a good way to see the mechanics, know shape of roid to look for, color of roid and what fisures look like.

Hey Wingy, Multicrew is Telepresence so you COULD join him in his Ship as a crewmember from where you are.... Don't recall what kind of visibility the crewmember has, or if would need to have a turreted abrasion blaster or Seismic launcher to allow it...

Originally Posted by Johnny Chemo

Use Inara to find the best places to sell. Don't sell for less than 1.6m. Low temp diamonds are worth mining too, but don't go crazy cracking every core - you'll have to run all over
the bubble to get best prices if you wind up with a lot of different things.

This x 1.6 million smile

I might be able to go out with you, still have my mining Python fully ready. I was never as efficient at it as Wingy...took me forever to find the cores and seldom filled my hold, but still managed to make a billion or so....

Last edited by Recluse; 03/20/19 12:10 PM.

Long system spec sig follows:

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
MSI Z490 Plus Motherboard
Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8 GHz
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453
Thrustmaster RCS Rudder Pedals

#4466614 - 03/20/19 12:24 PM Re: Mining Essentials? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks for the point defense tip. I was indeed getting pirated, but since I had nothing on board yet nothing came of it. I will install one today.

My Thursday evening is now free with Wingy out in the dark. If anyone wants to team up for some mining (can't believe I just typed that) then let's give it a go. You blast, I scoop! biggrin

#4466618 - 03/20/19 12:26 PM Re: Mining Essentials? [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by JohnnyChemo
Going for Trade Elite now?

Indeed smile

You have thrusters mapped, right? I use them a LOT in mining. I have them mapped
to a hat on my Cougar.

Yes, I do. I use the radio switch for thrusters.

Thanks for the help JC.

#4466627 - 03/20/19 01:06 PM Re: Mining Essentials? [Re: DBond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Originally Posted by DBond
Thanks for the point defense tip. I was indeed getting pirated, but since I had nothing on board yet nothing came of it. I will install one today.

My Thursday evening is now free with Wingy out in the dark. If anyone wants to team up for some mining (can't believe I just typed that) then let's give it a go. You blast, I scoop! biggrin

I might be available. Read a bunch of posts on how Wing Mining is broken, but happy to help blast/run off pirates. Been awhile so I may not be at my best placing charges....not that my BEST was all that good :-)

My main problem was ending up on the wrong side of the asteroid as the clock ran down trying to find ONE MORE fissure. With two of us that wouldn't be a problem .. Will also be helpful to have 2 loads of Prospectors to more quickly sort out the GOOD asteroids.

Last edited by Recluse; 03/20/19 01:08 PM.

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4466635 - 03/20/19 01:33 PM Re: Mining Essentials? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Well honestly, I'd rather hook up for some combat or something than mining. But since that was offered....

I'll work the mining out and don't need help, but gratefully accept it.

If you'd rather do some bounty hunting I'm up for that too. That would be more, err, fun smile

#4466637 - 03/20/19 01:55 PM Re: Mining Essentials? [Re: DBond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
I would be up for either one!!! Your call...

I bet we could rope some of the others in for Bounty Hunting as well depending on how far flung everyone is.

Last edited by Recluse; 03/20/19 02:15 PM.

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4466642 - 03/20/19 02:22 PM Re: Mining Essentials? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Well it's the combat rank that needs the most love, so let's do that if you don't mind. Find a good BH system and have a go.

I'm still in Dvorsi, but can leave my ship where ever tonight.

I'll start a new thread so we don't venture too far off topic.

#4467419 - 03/25/19 06:29 PM Re: Mining Essentials? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
SimHQ Rock Collecting Club on Thursday?

I'm up for it if anyone can stand the thought of more mining biggrin

Poison Whiskey's ready to go.

#4467421 - 03/25/19 07:01 PM Re: Mining Essentials? [Re: DBond]  
WingNuts01 Offline
WingNuts01  Offline

Huntington Beach, CA
Not sure yet, but I'm willing. Same time 6:30? I'll have to locate a good place to visit.

i5-2500K @4.3gh
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
16gb Mushkin PC3 1600
OCZ ZX-850 Gold
Lite-On DVD Burner
27" Samsung 2770FH
Warthog #11118 Woot!!!
#4467437 - 03/25/19 08:42 PM Re: Mining Essentials? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yes, that time would work for me, or let me know if another is better.

I just noticed you went from Tycoon to Elite in 3 days, so I know you know what's up biggrin And if you can pre-scout a good spot all the better.

If you can't make it don't worry about it, there will be another day.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.