Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4464885 - 03/10/19 11:09 PM GROUND ATTACKS  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

After having read Schalchtflieger! I decided to make my newest pilot, Johann Georg Faust, flying a Hannover CLIII in Schlachtstaffel 30 b. I have generally avoided trench strafing because the ground fire is just too good in the game. I think it is probably a little too strong so I put the level down to easy. It still ain’t easy but you can at least take it for more than a few seconds before your wounded or too damaged to continue an attack. As VFw Faust, I have been experimenting with it. I would like to share what I have found so far that works.

First, don’t approach the enemy front line from the front or from the flank if you are going below 2,000 feet for machine gun work. Go through the gaps between the strong points.

Once you are behind the trenches, any fire you will receive will be light unless you get pretty close. You can attack the artillery positions behind the lines without much ground fire.

Machine gun fire doesn’t seem to have any effect on vehicles but it will take out a field piece pretty easily. You will need to be down to 600 feet or below to be able to hit anything (normal height for a Schlachtstaffel ground attack).

You can use your front MG, but it is more effective to do a fly by and let your observer do the work. At the 'normal' setting observer fire is still very accurate and he will do a great job. As with ground fire, I think observer fire is a little too accurate in the game but in this case I don’t mind because it’s to my advantage.

Also, don’t waste your bombs on infantry and artillery positions, save them for supply columns, rail depots, aerodromes and camps where they can do the most good.

When attacking the trenches themselves, come at them from behind, the return fire will be lighter. When you start taking fire, turn around and come again.

Pretty exciting stuff! I highly recommend it for a change up.

I’ll keep experimenting with it and let everyone know if I come up with any more useful techniques.

Anyone else out there have any advice?
[Linked Image]

Attached Files am.jpgan.jpgap.jpgaq.jpgah.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 03/10/19 11:19 PM.
#4464897 - 03/11/19 12:43 AM Re: GROUND ATTACKS [Re: jerbear]  
ARUP Offline
ARUP  Offline

Kentucky
'Schalchtflieger!' is a great book... I have it! You have great info here. I found attacking front lines from the rear works the best, too. The other info is great for I didn't understand how the bombs' and machine guns' effectiveness varied so much. I love flying the 'Hawa'! It is pretty good at dog fighting. I never fly to the altitudes the mission says but keep low so that if attacked I can weave around trees, etc. It is a handy bird! Maybe the Devs 'updates' will include the AGO C.1!

#4465269 - 03/12/19 11:25 PM Re: GROUND ATTACKS [Re: ARUP]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

ARUP: Hope you get your AGO. Yep," Schlachfliege!" is a great book, full of good first hand stories as well as tons of useful information and to sound like an advert. the pictures and color plates are worth the price of the book. Wish there were a way to carry some hand grenades and extra ammo in the game, like was done in the for real 1st WW.

Something new I stumbled on which is probably not news to any old hands out there, but maybe a few haven't come across: When you cancel the ground attack,"regroup," sometimes the wingmen will abandon the attack and go into "form up" mode but don't rejoin. They just circle around getting Archied. I got get up with trying to get them to notice me and pressing the "2" key and just pushed "3" to tell them to go home. This woke them up and they formed on me.

In regard to the machine gun attacks on forward enemy positions, they aren't greatly effective because you can't get close enough to do anything more than just throw some lead in that general direction without getting whacked by ground fire, but, according to the German reports in "Schlachtflieger!" the attacks had "have great moral effect. Losses from these attacks were fairly insignificant, but the feeling of helplessness created confusion among the soldiers. The prisoners say that at times artillery fire did not bother the troops as much as fire from low-flying aircraft."

So, even if they have no measurable effect as far as the game is concerned they are something that is worth trying to simulate as it would be something useful in a the real thing.

Last edited by jerbear; 03/12/19 11:59 PM.
#4465436 - 03/13/19 11:39 PM Re: GROUND ATTACKS [Re: jerbear]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

I think this is why you don't get as much fire from the rear of the infantry positions as you would get coming at them from in front. The riflemen are turned around, firing at me, but the machine guns remain facing forward, so the ground fire is much less intense. If there is an AA machine gun this would probably be altered somewhat but still not as intense as having all the machine guns in range firing at you. [Linked Image]

Attached Files asa MGs dont face to rear.PNG
Last edited by jerbear; 03/13/19 11:40 PM.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Highest Scoring Aces Still Living
by F4UDash4. 12/11/19 02:18 PM
Ghostbusters : Afterlife
by Khai. 12/09/19 02:33 PM
Honey Badger doesn't give a #%&*$#