Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
#4443711 - 10/14/18 08:15 PM Re: New 'advance copy review' of BERING STRAIT just in (drum roll...) ***** [Re: HeinKill]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Annnnnd here is what I went with as the final pen name ... tongue in cheek (Aussies will recognise).

It's crazy, no matter how many times you read something (and I also paid to have it proofread this time) you always find things that still need fixing. So just making the last tweaks...

[Linked Image]

eBook is available on preorder for a short time at .99c USD, before the launch!

Fred

[Linked Image]
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4443881 - 10/16/18 03:18 AM Re: New 'advance copy review' of BERING STRAIT just in (drum roll...) [Re: HeinKill]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Good luck. Hope it sells well for you. thumbsup

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4444559 - 10/20/18 06:28 AM Re: New 'advance copy review' of BERING STRAIT just in (drum roll...) [Re: HeinKill]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
FX Holden, you bloody tool biggrin Congrats on getting it out there Fred. I haven't read it yet, only just spotted this thread but will be sure to give it a crack, congrats again mate!

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4444710 - 10/21/18 03:46 PM Re: New 'advance copy review' of BERING STRAIT just in (drum roll...) [Re: Ajay]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Originally Posted by Ajay
FX Holden, you bloody tool biggrin Congrats on getting it out there Fred. I haven't read it yet, only just spotted this thread but will be sure to give it a crack, congrats again mate!

Thought you might like that wink

eBook on preorder special for .99c to generate some reviews so dive in! And pls copy link below spread the word. 20pc of sales 2018-19 will go to SimHQ, the rest to Plan International!

Ideal stocking stuffer if ever there was!!

https://www.amazon.com/Bering-Strait-FX-Holden-ebook/dp/B07J3P42HF

[Linked Image]
#4446510 - 11/01/18 06:46 PM Re: New 'advance copy review' of BERING STRAIT just in (drum roll...) [Re: HeinKill]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Publication Day! Nov 1.

The book is out on Amazon now!

[Linked Image]

Get it at the special launch discount price!

https://www.amazon.com/Bering-Strait-FX-Holden-ebook/dp/B07J3P42HF

[Linked Image]
#4446557 - 11/02/18 01:10 AM Re: OUT NOW: BERING STRAIT the novel (drum roll...) [Re: HeinKill]  
rollnloop. Offline
rollnloop.  Offline

France
Congrats Fred, hope you sell many cheers

#4446735 - 11/03/18 03:18 AM Re: OUT NOW: BERING STRAIT the novel (drum roll...) [Re: HeinKill]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
You might have a slight issue unless this Biography on your books Amazon page is a joke?

Biography
FX Holden is a pen name of award winning author, Tim Slee. The material published here is published specifically to raise money for charity. In 2018 that charity is Plan International, the #girlsrights organisation.

Tim Slee started out writing short fiction, and was the winner of the Allen & Unwin INK short fiction prize. In 2016 he started independently publishing long fiction, and was the winner in Feb 2017 of the Grand Prize in the US Publishers Weekly BookLife Prize in Fiction. In 2018 he received the HarperCollins Banjo Prize for unpublished Australian fiction, and his manuscript BURN will be published in 2019 by HarperCollins Australia.

BERING STRAIT is his first book published under the FX Holden imprint.

Coming in Q1 2019 will be a new cyber espionage thriller, LIAONING

https://www.amazon.com/FX-Holden/e/B07J47L7KB/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

#4446751 - 11/03/18 10:35 AM Re: OUT NOW: BERING STRAIT the novel (drum roll...) [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Issue, why?

Fred

[Linked Image]
#4446814 - 11/03/18 04:04 PM Re: OUT NOW: BERING STRAIT the novel (drum roll...) [Re: HeinKill]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Right on HeinKill, congrats!

#4446958 - 11/04/18 10:09 PM Re: OUT NOW: BERING STRAIT the novel (drum roll...) [Re: HeinKill]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Originally Posted by HeinKill
Issue, why?

Fred

Unless "Tim Slee" is another pseudonym that is who the Biography claims wrote the book on the Amazon page.

Wheels

Attached Files fxholden-author.jpg

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

#4446998 - 11/05/18 06:37 AM Re: OUT NOW: BERING STRAIT the novel (drum roll...) [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Originally Posted by wheelsup_cavu
Issue, why?
Fred

Unless "Tim Slee" is another pseudonym that is who the Biography claims wrote the book on the Amazon page.
Wheels

Oh right. Yes covered that discussion in another thread, no probs. Tim Slee is an author name I used for all my indie fiction until recently and I originally planned to release Bering Strait as Tim Slee.

http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...etting-ready-for-takeoff-but#Post4436631

But then I scored a book contract and agreed to a ‘non compete’ clause which means I won’t release new fiction under the name Tim Slee.

I didn’t want to leave Bering Strait on the shelf though, after so much work, so I came up with a new pen name (my favorite car marque) and published under that name because ‘Fred Williams’ isn’t very technothrillery!

PS just wen #1 in Australia!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
#4447466 - 11/07/18 09:19 PM Re: OUT NOW: BERING STRAIT the novel (drum roll...) [Re: HeinKill]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
So nice to think this thread started 5 Jan 2018, people jumped in to help and here we are 5 November, with a 500 page novel on the shelves. I never knew I could write that quickly, but thx to help of people here, it apparently didn't turn out too badly!

Aido
5.0 out of 5 stars
Fast moving military thriller with a heart.
3 November 2018
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase

Pre ordered this based on some blurb on Facebook, and I'm really pleased that I did. Well paced near future military thriller that resonates with authenticity. The multiple perspectives keep it fresh and there's enough techno stuff to keep enthusiasts moist. Highly recommended.

Mr David Norlund
5.0 out of 5 stars
Great read for Clancy fans
6 November 2018

This is a near future scenario with believable use of characters (human and computer.) Nothing is too farfetched to make you feel that this is not a believable scenario. Very well written.

P JAMES
5.0 out of 5 stars
Exciting read
6 November 2018

Brilliant well thought out fast paced thriller - read it in one hit staying up to 04:00!

Richard Campan
5.0 out of 5 stars
Action, suspense, technology
November 1, 2018
Format: Paperback

An impossible book to let go, The English vocabulary is accessible to a non-bilingual passionate about aviation and / or technology in general, The characters are deep, the suspense created well and the technology well researched. I am a fan of Clancy, Coonts and others: this is in the same vein. Recommended without reservations.

J. Smit
4.0 out of 5 stars
Fast-paced read; lots of action and technology; politics
November 7, 2018
Format: Kindle Edition

Bering Strait is a very fast-paced technothriller, great for fans of Tom Clancy and the likes. The idea of the Russians wanting to invade Alaska is not new but Tim Slee has a whole new approach. I had a little difficulty with the 'techno' parts because there were so many, sometimes too much to understand and grasp the details of everything that was explained. However, I liked the story line and the characters and I think all in all that Bering Strait is worthy a big public.

Recluse
5.0 out of 5 stars
FInally! A new Smart Aviation/Techno Thriller
November 7, 2018
Format: Kindle Edition

I have been looking for a good Aviation related techno-thriller like the OLD TIME Dale Brown/Stephen Coonts books. I was very happy to see Bering Strait and it handily scratched my itch. Interesting look at the Drone heavy future of aerial combat and frighteningly plausible political scenario.

[Linked Image]
#4448825 - 11/15/18 04:46 AM Re: OUT NOW: BERING STRAIT the novel (drum roll...) [Re: HeinKill]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

HeinKill,
You have finally shown me a Christmas present worth to my step-dad. I know he will enjoy it as much as I enjoyed reading your posts.

Thank you.

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
#4448947 - 11/15/18 09:37 PM Re: OUT NOW: BERING STRAIT the novel (drum roll...) [Re: HeinKill]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
awesome! hope he enjoys it!

heiny

[Linked Image]
#4453789 - 12/18/18 07:06 PM Re: OUT NOW: BERING STRAIT the novel (drum roll...) [Re: HeinKill]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Just started reading the book, I had downloaded an earlier proof but things happened and never got round to starting to read it, I started to read the proof this week and got through the first chapter and had to go buy the released version and I am enjoying it smile

I do have a question tho, on the sinking of the Tzar at the beginning, 15 fathoms is quite shallow for a large ship able to hold 400,000 tonnes. My friend, another Tim, is the master of a very large container ship, at 170,000 Gross tonnes, and if his ship was sitting on the bottom at 15fathoms then the deck would just be out of the water, bottom of the hull to the deck is 30meters, never mind the superstructure above that, 30meters is 98ft or a little over 16fathoms, it's draught is 16meters fully laden.

Right back to chapter 2 now smile

His ship unladen:

[Linked Image]

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4453873 - 12/19/18 07:29 AM Re: OUT NOW: BERING STRAIT the novel (drum roll...) [Re: Alicatt]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Glad you're enjoying it! And you're abs right, I didn't take superstructure into account. Because...

[Linked Image]

No superstructure, just a small bridge at the bow. This RR concept freighter is the one I had in my head while writing. It goes down in coastal waters, and I wanted it to lie just below the surface so that its tethered distress buoy would make it to the surface.

In hindsight could have thrown a few extra fathoms overhead!

Something for a future edit ... and thanks for taking the time to write! All comments welcome, all the time!

Last edited by HeinKill; 12/19/18 06:17 PM.

[Linked Image]
#4455206 - 12/28/18 10:32 PM Re: AAR with a difference: Bering Strait UCAV campaign [Re: HeinKill]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
CH. 3

HOLES IN THE CHEESE

She sat in the back of her two tonne armored limo with two bodyguards up front, one facing forward, one backward and her personal aide beside her. In the days when cars needed a driver, they’d needed a detail of three - one to drive, two to guard. But driverless vehicles had freed up the third spot either for additional protection, guests or in this case, legroom. As they approached the River Gates that led directly into the Russian foreign ministry underground carpark there was the usual ceremony with credentials and Kremlin guards running a sweep of the car and its occupants. They all had to demount and go through biometric scanners before they were allowed back into their car and inside the Kremlin walls.

Just being picky here smile
2 tonne? not much armour on that! Even Kevlar armoured vehicles weigh tonnes more than the base weight of the car, but generally it is the glass of the windows that is the heaviest. I have two cars, one, a 4 door saloon, weighs in at 1.8tonnes the other a Range Rover Sport, comes in at 2.95tonnes.

It's been too long since I did the research on armouring a vehicle, but I do remember that we were looking at swapping out the engine for something with a lot more grunt to haul around all that extra weight, the customer had wanted a specific vehicle but with putting on the armour it would never have moved with it's original engine smile We spec'd it out but pointed out to the customer that it was unfeasible,

Anyway really enjoyed the book and am looking forward to the follow up, that was a nice teaser at the end biggrin

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4455404 - 12/30/18 06:10 PM Re: AAR with a difference: Bering Strait UCAV campaign [Re: Alicatt]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Yes! Probably got a little lazy there - took the weight of a current Range Rover Sentinel in kg (2,500) and assumed some efficiencies from being driverless and electric and advances in armor between now and 2030. Worth revisiting!

If you’d like to help out with the next novel I’ll be starting it here soon. These are charity projects, so your good deed goes into your karma bank!

And if you haven’t done so, remember to leave a rating on Amazon, it really helps.

Fred

[Linked Image]
#4455425 - 12/30/18 09:06 PM Re: OUT NOW: BERING STRAIT the novel (drum roll...) [Re: HeinKill]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
...I for one expect serious gains in weight efficiency for armor materials in the future, as we're getting better and better controlling the nano structures in material sciences and production.

#4464819 - 03/10/19 01:09 PM Re: OUT NOW: BERING STRAIT the novel (drum roll...) [Re: HeinKill]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
USSCheyenne
Unregistered

Just picked it up for my kindle. How come it's only for a dollar?

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.