Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4464105 - 03/05/19 07:52 PM Game of Thrones fans  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Official trailer for the final season!!! This will be epic.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4464108 - 03/05/19 07:58 PM Re: Game of Thrones fans [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Nope. No spoilers.

#4464110 - 03/05/19 08:02 PM Re: Game of Thrones fans [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
Nope. No spoilers.

Amazingly there are no spoilers.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4464117 - 03/05/19 08:27 PM Re: Game of Thrones fans [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Meatsheild Offline
Arma3 guy!
Meatsheild  Offline
Arma3 guy!

Peoples Republic of Yorkshire
i've not seen a single episode .... dont intend to start with the last season :P

SimHQ Arma3 sessions, weekly semi-serious co-op action for all ages and skills! check the forum sticky for more info!

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3732626/SimHQ_Arma3_Sessions,_who,_wha#Post3732626

All spelling errors are included free of charge and courtesy of a broken spell checker!
#4464119 - 03/05/19 08:35 PM Re: Game of Thrones fans [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Top Gun Offline
Lifer
Top Gun  Offline
Lifer

Roch-Vegas NH
Can't wait to watch this, wife and I were late to the party. Kept telling myself I had no interest, finally gave in and watched a few and that's all it took.

XboxLive Tag: DOBrienTG1969

Dave O'Brien,
Top Gun Photography
Nikon D500 & D7200
Nikkor 70-200VR AF-s F/2.8
Sigma 50-500 & 17-50 F2.8
Sigma 150-600
#4464121 - 03/05/19 08:42 PM Re: Game of Thrones fans [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
I'm kinda sad to see it go.

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#4464123 - 03/05/19 08:55 PM Re: Game of Thrones fans [Re: Meatsheild]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Originally Posted by Meatsheild
i've not seen a single episode .... dont intend to start with the last season :P

Same. Don`t have HBO, we get Showtime.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4464125 - 03/05/19 08:55 PM Re: Game of Thrones fans [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
All good things must come to an end, but I look forward to seeing this end. I'll take the melancholy aspect with it. Yes, I am stoked. At least this end will have several episodes. Oohhhhhh please let it go well for Arya, she's my favorite! smile

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#4464129 - 03/05/19 09:04 PM Re: Game of Thrones fans [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
I was convinced I wouldn't enjoy this series as I don't really like fantasy type settings. After 1 episode I binge watched the lot.

Another one here rooting for Arya and Needle.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4464139 - 03/05/19 10:16 PM Re: Game of Thrones fans [Re: bones]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Originally Posted by bones
I'm kinda sad to see it go.

TBH, while I'm looking forward to the new season, the last two dropped markedly in quality. The first times we saw plot armor in action in that series, which I found going against everything that G.R.R. Martin stands for, from the point of dramaturgy. You don't want your hero to die? Don't get him into a situation where death is pretty much guaranteed. You're the writer, you're in control of that.
Fake tension belongs to lesser productions. If someone wearing considerable armor falls into a deep river, there's just no way how he'll get back to the surface, period. If you fall into the water in arctic sub-zero temperatures, possibly magically amplified due to, well, blue-skinned frost zombies, you're dead within ten to thirty minutes. You can be awesome as much as you want, hypothermia will get everybody. You're surrounded by a pack of hungry monster wolves? They will rip you apart, period. You run into a totally obvious trap during a certain battle of bastards? YOU WILL DIE, and you deserve no better fate. All that from the last season.
Seriously, you had five seasons to learn from the best screenwriter of our times, and the moment you go beyond his writings, the wheels are coming off?
That clearly shows who is a master of this art, and who doesn't understand the fundamental principles of the source material he's working with.

ONE miraculous survival I could live with in a Game of Thrones season (ideally however just once or less in the whole series). But four just in the last season alone?
If that's setting the standard for the last season, ending the series will be for the better.

#4464140 - 03/05/19 10:21 PM Re: Game of Thrones fans [Re: Meatsheild]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Meatsheild

I watched the first episode. When I realized the guy was doggy styling his sister, I knew it was not a show for me.

#4464143 - 03/05/19 10:30 PM Re: Game of Thrones fans [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Lieste Offline
Lieste  Offline

We know that (some) knights practised swimming in white harness, as well as scaling ladders from the underside and other seemingly unlikely feats. Many of these have been replicated (although acknowledged as ridiculously hard) by modern experimental archaeology.

Now I would drown if I fell in river in any kind of clothing - but that is no reason to deny the possibility if we know they are dedicated to physical training in harness, including such feats of arms.

Hypothermia is a killer though, and there are many other places where plot armour or 'magik' saves people when it makes no sense for the HBO-ised story, and a few in the books too.

Much of what is in the books is more or less tightly based on British history from around the Wars of the Roses, with some flavoursome tidbits from earlier periods and other places in Europe if they were spicy enough. Some of the 'unlikely' occurrences sans-magic come from this palette of 'history with possible exaggeration'**. Of course dragons, white walkers, decades long winters and magic don't fall into these themes and are a source for some of the stuff which makes no sense (such as a ridiculous 700ft ice wall ~ when a 70ft or a 14ft one would have been more practical and just as effective with it's 'magic ward' to defend against the dead, and effective enough to work against the wildlings.

**Remembering that history is filled with many great liars... Copernicus, Goebbels, St. Ralph the Liar.

#4464166 - 03/06/19 12:11 AM Re: Game of Thrones fans [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Meatsheild Offline
Arma3 guy!
Meatsheild  Offline
Arma3 guy!

Peoples Republic of Yorkshire
..so i googled "white harness" to get an idea of what you were talking about .. no wonder they could swim just fine!! rofl

and climbing a ladder and swimming with about 60lbs of weight attached all over your body are totally separate things, it doesn't matter if the weight is metal or sand, as a suit or in a backpack, your going to the bottom with that amount on you.

SimHQ Arma3 sessions, weekly semi-serious co-op action for all ages and skills! check the forum sticky for more info!

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3732626/SimHQ_Arma3_Sessions,_who,_wha#Post3732626

All spelling errors are included free of charge and courtesy of a broken spell checker!
#4464176 - 03/06/19 01:25 AM Re: Game of Thrones fans [Re: Lieste]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Originally Posted by Lieste
We know that (some) knights practised swimming in white harness, ... and other seemingly unlikely feats. Many of these have been replicated (although acknowledged as ridiculously hard) by modern experimental archaeology.

Well, in this case it involved a one-handed guy with a bronze replica hand, wearing a hardened leather cuirass with metal applique, still wearing sword, and heavy boots. The guy pulling him out of the water is wearing a long leather coat, heavy boots, leather trousers. And not only do they not fall into shallow water, we see him unsuccessfully struggling with his armor trying to get it off as he's continuously sinking deeper and deeper, and then they get out of the water a few hundred meters away from where they fell into it.

I'm sorry to say it, but your example fails to convince me that it is applicable to this scene.

If both had come up without all the heavy garment and boots I would be willing to overlook the long distance from the attack site as a means to have the dialog undisturbed from other people, flailing their arms while on fire and the associated screaming that tends to ruin the quiet moment that the two are having. As it was, they created a cheap cliffhanger at the end of one episode, and an entirely implausible resolution in the next one. And even that I might be forgiving if this wasn't supposed to be Game of Thrones, where the rule established in about 64 previous episodes was that if your character gets into an unwinnable situation, well, he will lose. You don't want him to lose, be more careful when writing up his confrontation. Like, don't try to backstab a flying dragon with a ballista, which already was over the top silly in The Gamers - and that was a a role-playing fan-film parody.

"It's Fantasy" is no defense, because of the established dramaturgical principles of the previous six and a half seasons. You don't create a massive hit based on such core tenets in storytelling, and then do a 180° and expect me to accept it at face value. If you don't know the full story (and at this point, only those involved with the production do), and you're watching this for the first time, part of the excitement is that you have a number of worthy characters, and neither the best nor the most relatable characters were, up to this point, guaranteed to make it to the end of the story. I will concede that as the story is drawing to a close, the herd of characters has been thinned so much by now that it's beginning to show who will most likely be among the survivors at the end. Nevertheless, these four incidents were massive spoilers, and unprovoked storytelling mistakes.

#4464241 - 03/06/19 03:23 PM Re: Game of Thrones fans [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
I agree that once the series "passed the books" the quality was not the same. I'm hoping that the last season will be better. I want to see four things:

Tyrion's survival
Cersei's head or guts spilled
The Clegane brother's faceoff "Clegane bowl"
Arya gets to finish her list AND walk out alive.

The rest can work out how it may and , given the twists that the story has taken, I think we can be sure that the ending will not be " everyone lived happily ever after"

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#4464257 - 03/06/19 04:47 PM Re: Game of Thrones fans [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
My prediction: Arya kills Cersei in the shape of her brother.

#4464314 - 03/06/19 09:43 PM Re: Game of Thrones fans [Re: Ssnake]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Ssnake

I like that!! I could see it happening. A long delayed revenge for the death of her father.

#4464317 - 03/06/19 10:10 PM Re: Game of Thrones fans [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

I like that!! I could see it happening. A long delayed revenge for the death of her father.

That would indeed be great, but I actually think it will be Jaime himself who finally finishes her off.
Or maybe she will become a blue-eyed ice queen wink

Hoping for Clegane vs Clegane as well!

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#4464321 - 03/06/19 10:36 PM Re: Game of Thrones fans [Re: Ssnake]  
letterboy1 Offline
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA

Okay, I'll put in with this lot! biggrin As long as Arya is kicking it, I'm in! smile

#4464324 - 03/06/19 10:41 PM Re: Game of Thrones fans [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
letterboy1 Offline
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
By the way, I know I might be in for a disappointment if Arya dies because it won't be the first time I got mad in GoT . . . #Red Wedding

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.