Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4463710 - 03/02/19 05:29 PM Formation Flying Hints and Tips  
PO_Klonko Offline
PO_Klonko  Offline

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and new to Wings Over The Reich.

I'm a long time flight simmer; having enjoyed playing sims since my childhood, playing most Second World War era flight sims from CFS1 & 2, through to Rowan's Battle of Britain, and the more recently CLoD and BoX.
I bought WOtR the other day as I'm fascinated by the Battle of Britain and the SP campaign sounded very reminiscent to that of Rowan's BoB/BOBII, but more likely to run on Windows 10 without crashing out half-way through.

I'm really impressed with the sim so far. In the past I have tended to take off, press the autopilot button and jump in when the action happens. After experiencing engine problems after engaging the autopilot in WOtR (don't worry, I contacted the devs and I was given a workaround), I decided to finally fly missions from start to finish. I have to say I'm really enjoying it, the immersion is unbelievable, and I have now completed two patrols without engaging the autopilot. The last one was a killer 80mins long with no breaks; so I'm now considering buying a parachute to sit on!

Anyway, let me get to the point. As I'm new to formation flying on the whole I was wondering if anyone had any tips for keeping in formation and maintaining position in WOtR? A previous post regarding the Hurri's prop pitch settings has proven very useful, but I find myself jockeying the throttle and struggling to keep the aircraft in trim and end up eventually falling out of formation, then using the WEP to get back again. Any help would be much appreciated.
Also, I'm finding it hard to read the boost gauge and set boost correctly. I can see the - and + as well as the numbers 4 & 8 but am struggling with how exactly you read the dial and set, for example, +3 boost.

Thanks in advance.

#4463716 - 03/02/19 07:10 PM Re: Formation Flying Hints and Tips [Re: PO_Klonko]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Welcome aboard! As far as flying in formation goes:

[Linked Image]

With regard to boost, however, I find the throttle to be overly sensitive at the top end, maybe they can adjust it in the future. For now I just have to wiggle it back and forth slightly to get it to settle in! salute

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4463733 - 03/02/19 08:05 PM Re: Formation Flying Hints and Tips [Re: PO_Klonko]  
PO_Klonko Offline
PO_Klonko  Offline

Thanks Rick smile

I'm going to settle with being able to keep up with the formation and not ram all my RAF squadron mates for now!

I completely agree regarding the boost. It's nice and smooth at first, then next thing you know you've opened you've applied full boost.

#4463752 - 03/02/19 10:11 PM Re: Formation Flying Hints and Tips [Re: PO_Klonko]  
Burning_Beard Offline
Burning_Beard  Offline

Red Bluff, CA
One thing I have found helpful is to use Auto Trim. There is a lot going on between normal stuff like wheels up, flaps up, mixture and prop control. Auto trim helps to get you up to speed more easily and makes for something else not to have to fight.

Beard

More Scotch and Stogies for my Wingman!
#4463757 - 03/02/19 11:44 PM Re: Formation Flying Hints and Tips [Re: PO_Klonko]  
PO_Klonko Offline
PO_Klonko  Offline

Thanks Burning_Beard, I'll give that a go. It usually takes me the whole of the outward leg of a patrol to trim my Hurri. That should free me up to scan my squad lead's six for the hun in the sun!

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.