Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4463145 - 02/27/19 12:31 AM Re: Health Hazards of Electromagnetic Radiation Exposure [Re: THX-1138]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
One thing I love about this place is learning how Europeans, in some ways, live so differently. smile

But then NYC is like a different world as well, at least to what I'm used to. One day I'd like to visit Europe.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4463190 - 02/27/19 07:13 AM Re: Health Hazards of Electromagnetic Radiation Exposure [Re: THX-1138]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Our first microwave oven was an Artica and was so heavy it took 6 men to lift it, it used a cavity magnetron to generate the frequency of the EM radiation to cook the food, it was roughly 6kW input with about half that in the cooking chamber. We also had a spare magnetron which sat in a box in the cupboard.

When I started work at Decca Radar in 1973 I started to learn about magnetrons as they were used in radars which made me go and dig out the spare magnetron and have a look at it and written on the side of it on a label was 6kW input power and a resonant frequency of 932MHz. Many years later when the UK got it's CB bands allocated at 27MHz and 934MHz I thought the higher one was close to the frequency of the magnetron, then the UK had to give up the 934MHz CB band as it was being allocated for cell phones. While the frequencies are close and the magnetron for the microwave oven is within the cellphone band the power levels are vastly different but still gives me thought about using a cellphone.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4463192 - 02/27/19 07:19 AM Re: Health Hazards of Electromagnetic Radiation Exposure [Re: Ssnake]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Ssnake
If an activist tells me that we're too many people on this planet, and if he's making a compelling argument, I might look the other way if he wants to lead by example.

Opa keeps saying it's about time we had another war there are too many people around. But then again he does talk a lot of bull.

smile

Clan Cameron
#4463195 - 02/27/19 07:45 AM Re: Health Hazards of Electromagnetic Radiation Exposure [Re: Alicatt]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Originally Posted by Alicatt
While the frequencies are close and the magnetron for the microwave oven is within the cellphone band the power levels are vastly different but still gives me thought about using a cellphone.

Well, that's kinda the point.The power output is three to four orders of magnitude lower. It CAN and DOES heat up the surrounding tissue, but so does taking a warm shower or rolling up under a blanket, and again the amount of heat transferred (or "not lost" in the blanket case) is orders of magnitude bigger. And yes, you should't take a bath in excess of 40°C for an extended time, it's not like this is one of the health hazards that the bathing industry tries to hide from you.

The thing about orders of magnitude, with kinetic energy: If I hit you with all my force with a ping-pong ball, it's not going to hurt much. If I hit you with a baseball bat, the amount of kinetic energy is about three orders of magnitude higher, and it becomes a potentially deadly attack. If I run you over with a car at "ping-pong ball max velocity" (another increase by three more orders of magnitude), it will rip you apart - and possibly get me killed in the car, too.

A few more OOMs, and we're talking about an asteroid impact on this planet, then a planet-on-planet impact. It gets quickly out of hand.

#4463198 - 02/27/19 08:22 AM Re: Health Hazards of Electromagnetic Radiation Exposure [Re: THX-1138]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

It's never stopped me using a cell phone, just gave me thought about it, it's mW Vs kW phone to microwave oven in this case.

This microwave oven was from the late 1960s and was in our home later when my parents bought the hotel we moved it there too but it was a big brute of a machine and not very precise, for somethings you could not set the timer to a small enough increment of time. we ditched it and got a Sharp combination oven, while it had a smaller capacity it was much more useful in day to day use compared with the Artica, Artica was a commercial brand/model made by Raytheon in the 1960s and was about 8 times the power of a modern microwave oven.

Edit: While working with radars we had to wear a lead lined apron to protect our little swimmers and we also had leaded glass inserts to put in place of hatches and covers on the radar transmitters so we could work on them while they were running.

Last edited by Alicatt; 02/27/19 08:26 AM.

Clan Cameron
#4463232 - 02/27/19 03:28 PM Re: Health Hazards of Electromagnetic Radiation Exposure [Re: THX-1138]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Myself being involved with the telco side of broadcasting I am reminded that the cautious choice was always to leave the router in a place where you did not spend too much time. As a former Aircraftman in the RDAF I am aware of studies linking increased ocurrence of cancer in former radar operators to long term exposure to unsafe levels of microwave emissions. Just one such example: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19035449

Equipment can be shielded to negate side effects caused by microwave emissions, living creatures cannot.

With 5G arriving, Internet of Things will more and more become reality and this means that not only are there many more cellualar base stations to handle the traffic, the traffic will also increase hundredfold, as the chips in fridges, heaters, cars, TV's eventually implants in our bodies are nattering constantly, all in very close proximity. This, I feel is what makes the situation different to today where we are still, a lot of the time a fairly long distance away from emitters.

I don't know if there is cause for alarm but would it not be sensible to look for any potential cause-effect, for example the IQ of young Danish people being screened for possible military service has fallen for the first time in many years and no one knows why. If Bees are getting rarer, is it because they have been messed up, or their habitats messed up by radiowave emissions?

Last edited by McGonigle; 02/27/19 03:53 PM.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4463280 - 02/27/19 08:51 PM Re: Health Hazards of Electromagnetic Radiation Exposure [Re: THX-1138]  
RedOneAlpha Offline
RedOneAlpha  Offline

LEGE
There´s plenty of things that we should NOT know about, it´s always been like that and always will be...

As the saying, "when chaos comes to order".

Win10 Pro(x64), i7 8700k @ 4.7Ghz, 32GB ram DDR4, Sapphire Pulse AMD RX 6700 12GB, M.2 PCIe NVMe (x2) 480GB + 960GB, 447GB SSD´s, Samsung G6 32" , Logitech G13, G502, Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Simagic Alpha Mini, and Formula Extreme FX, DC Simracing DC1 pedals, GT Omega ART cockpit, TrackIR 5.0.
AUDIO: Aiyima A07 Max, Topping E50 and L50 stack, Polk Audio Signature Elite ES20 , and Shennheiser HD 560s. DAP: Hiby R3, Hiby Seeds, and iBasso IT01, Sharp MD-MT 80H Minidisc.
#4463290 - 02/27/19 10:02 PM Re: Health Hazards of Electromagnetic Radiation Exposure [Re: THX-1138]  
mikew Offline
mikew  Offline

UK
*sigh*

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.