Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4462941 - 02/25/19 05:13 PM Dusted off F4 Allied Force...again!  
Slick Offline
Slick  Offline

Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
Disclaimer: Yes, I know the BMS version is awesome and I should “upgrade” to playing that instead of Allied Force. However, I do not have “years of married-life” available to commit myself to learning this sim all over again. All I want to do right now is just fire it up and play for an hour or two on weekends…go ahead and flame me…I can take it…I’m married remember! 😉

That said, I have had great success so far in installing F4AF and getting it to run on my laptop:

ASUS ROG G752VT
Nvidia 970M (driver version 418.91)
Samsung 960Pro NVM SSD
AOC 24” 144Hz-GSync Monitor
CH Products Fightersitck, Throttle & Pedals
Windows 10 Home

If anyone is interested, here are the steps I took to get it to work (the old posts in this forum were the key to working out the graphics->hat tip to “Comet”):

1. Copied original Falcon4AF disk’s contents and saved to laptop's hard drive
2. Install Falcon4AF
3. Update to last official Lead Pursuit patch 1.0.13
4. Install Aeyes F4AF widescreen cockpits (www.cockpits.nl)
4a. F16AM v1.1
4b. F16CG v1.1
4c. F16CJ v1.4
4d. Run updater again and patch to F16CJ v1.5
5. Install Aeyes 1680 wide splash screen (www.cockpits.nl)
6. Install HiTitles (www.hitiles.com)
7. Add/Create BFops.cfg file with “set g_bForceSoftwareGUI 1“
7a. Save a copy of VERSION.CFG file
7b. Rename file to BFops.cfg
7c. Save file in FalconAF.exe root drive (prevents display issues with Mission Ordnance and Tactical Reference screens)
From <http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3830127/allied-force-debriefing-screen-problem>
8. (Optional) Replace game menu music -> see "Comet" posted comments below
8.a Copy Music files with original Falcon 4.0 install folder
8.b Edit SOUNDRC.IRC file (notepad works fine to do this)
9. (Optional) Replace Korea Campaign videos -> see "MarkG" posted comments below
9.a Copy Movie files from original Falcon 4.0 install folder
9.b Rename OF.AVI, OR.AVI and OT.AVI to IF.AVI, RF.AVI and TS.AVI respectively
10. Edit the game shortcut and check the box to "Disable fullscreen optimizations" -> this will allow you to print the debriefing screen to your local printer (Windows 10 Home)
11. (GeForce video cards) In the Nvidia Control Panel
11a. Set the Anisotropic Filtering to “16x”
11b. Set the Antialiasing-FXAA to “Off” (enabling this will blur the main menu screens)
11c. Set the Antialiasing-Mode to “Override application settings”
11d. Set the Antialiasing-Setting to “8x”

With all that done, I’m getting a smooth 200 FPS with zero jagged edges…so far, no CTD or BSD issues with playing Instant Action and I was able to do my first full on “ramp start and takeoff” this past weekend. That of itself was a major accomplishment for me.

On a side note, I did try the Skunkworks 1.2 mod but couldn’t really tell if it was worth it or not. I can’t find the 2.0 version anywhere online. In addition, I haven’t been able to find any of the additional F4AF theaters that were known to work. I did find some older versions of the Israeli, Desert Storm and Panama theaters from the www.pmctactical.org website, but thought it best not to try them for now as I don’t have the time to do all out reinstall.

Questions:
1. Any thoughts from the “old folks” on using the old 1.2 Skunkworks mod or if anyone has the 2.0 version laying around somewhere…?
2. Any other old Allied Force files/mods that are worth having or passing along? The old file links are now all dead.

Maybe this helps those weekend warriors like me who just want a few “simplified” flight hours in their logbooks! Check Six!!!

Last edited by Slick; 03/03/19 03:27 PM.

"Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4463036 - 02/26/19 04:36 AM Re: Dusted off F4 Allied Force...again! [Re: Slick]  
schnidrman Offline
Jason Schneider
schnidrman  Offline
Jason Schneider

Kansas City, Missouri
lawncareby20mm

neaner

Haha! Couldn't resist! Enjoy what you want, it's your time m8!

[Linked Image]
#4463068 - 02/26/19 02:57 PM Re: Dusted off F4 Allied Force...again! [Re: Slick]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
AF rocks. While I think BMS is better all things considered, AF is still the best version of Falcon for campaign players in my opinion.

Not only do you have more control, and better feedback as to the state of affairs, the three X three, dual theater setup is fantastic, and frankly I miss it. Being able to choose from essentially three levels of challenge based purely on Blue and Red OOBs is great.

It would be difficult for someone to argue that BMS doesn't have the superior jet. But equally, it would be hard to argue that BMS has better campaigns.

As to the mod questions... I've never modded my installs, aside from the fact that versions like BMS, Red Viper, OF et all are indeed mods in themselves, I've never bothered to mess with it. Maybe some cockpits years ago but that's it. So I am not much help with those questions.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4463074 - 02/26/19 03:39 PM Re: Dusted off F4 Allied Force...again! [Re: Slick]  
WharfRat Offline
WharfRat  Offline

temporally displaced
Personally, I loved AF. I had not tried to get it to work on a newer machine, but I think it is all still there on an older XP setup that I had borrowed a few parts out of. It will be a while before I will have the chance to play that old box, but if you had not found anyone else by then, Maybe i may find some of what you are looking for.

#4463115 - 02/26/19 07:20 PM Re: Dusted off F4 Allied Force...again! [Re: Slick]  
Slick Offline
Slick  Offline

@WharfRat: Any and all help is greatly appreciated and I'll even give you a dust mask and gloves to handle that old machine of yours!

@DBond: Thanks for the feedback! Nice to know the single player sentiment of AF is still out there.

@schnidrman: Your reply was warmly received… explode salute

This is why my real life sucks...after all my hard work this past weekend to get it installed, I have warehouse inventory duty the next two weeks...no foreseeable AF seat time until mid-March. pitchafit

#4463156 - 02/27/19 01:21 AM Re: Dusted off F4 Allied Force...again! [Re: Slick]  
piper Offline
Veteran
piper  Offline
Veteran

Raleigh,NC
You should reach out to a SimHQ member named damson for help. He loves re-visiting these great old games.

He helped me getting EF2000 to work on winXP

#4463194 - 02/27/19 07:41 AM Re: Dusted off F4 Allied Force...again! [Re: Slick]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Isn't it AF that allows you to direct wingman or section to target a specific runway when on OCA?
Very nice feature for us singeplayer dudes.
Only wish they'd redirect AI to use Durandal to "saw off" the runway sections with a burst across it over the drop-one-each-700ft-apart that we've done in Falcon since Rommel left north africa.
As I came to understand lately that's how Durandal style bombs are to be deployed.

#4463235 - 02/27/19 03:33 PM Re: Dusted off F4 Allied Force...again! [Re: Slick]  
WharfRat Offline
WharfRat  Offline

temporally displaced
[quote=Slick]@WharfRat: Any and all help is greatly appreciated and I'll even give you a dust mask and gloves to handle that old machine of yours

Thanks, I am sure I will need them. Probably will need a BobCat just to get to it.........................

#4463277 - 02/27/19 08:02 PM Re: Dusted off F4 Allied Force...again! [Re: WharfRat]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted by WharfRat
[quote=Slick]@WharfRat: Any and all help is greatly appreciated and I'll even give you a dust mask and gloves to handle that old machine of yours

Thanks, I am sure I will need them. Probably will need a BobCat just to get to it.........................

No, no, noooo.... Archeological digs are generally done with a hand scoop and a tooth brush! winkngrin

#4463288 - 02/27/19 09:51 PM Re: Dusted off F4 Allied Force...again! [Re: Slick]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Slick,

Are you the same Slick from USAF SuperPro? If so, good to see you again, bud. cheers

Can you believe this is still being hosted?
http://www.bobsyouruncle.net/mcflyhome.htm

++++++++++

All I've ever added to my F4:AF is Hi-Tiles (Tom's payware seasonal terrain). Love the variety but the wintery look most of all.

There was an improved 3D for AF I think (Superpit?), or was that for SP3?

One thing I remember about playing F4:AF on my old 1280x1024 LCD (which I still use) is that the 2D pit had some minor anomalies (or was that 1024x768 on my CRT)?

++++++++++

So, what ever happened to Aeyes(?) and his competitor Dr. Pit? Or was it Dr. Stop? Whichever, I liked them both, the well-worn look of Aeyes and the showroom-fresh look of the other guy's pit.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4463325 - 02/28/19 02:11 AM Re: Dusted off F4 Allied Force...again! [Re: Slick]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Crap, NyQuil posting sucks...you already have what I listed and much more. I need to look into this.

The sun is in the east
#4463379 - 02/28/19 03:34 PM Re: Dusted off F4 Allied Force...again! [Re: CyBerkut]  
WharfRat Offline
WharfRat  Offline

temporally displaced
Originally Posted by CyBerkut
Originally Posted by WharfRat

No, no, noooo.... Archeological digs are generally done with a hand scoop and a tooth brush! winkngrin

Oh boy, In that case, this may take longer than I thought.......

#4463398 - 02/28/19 07:30 PM Re: Dusted off F4 Allied Force...again! [Re: MarkG]  
Slick Offline
Slick  Offline

Copy on the NyQuil...that stuff is known to cause time warps!

Aeyes is around and his website is still up and running: http://www.cockpits.nl

I purchased the three widescreen AF pits last week and was communicating with him on a install/update question.

I'd love to have that Israeli theater for AF (if it was ever finished), but happy to have what's working!

Last edited by Slick; 02/28/19 07:31 PM.

#4463449 - 03/01/19 01:17 AM Re: Dusted off F4 Allied Force...again! [Re: Slick]  
Comet Offline
Comet  Offline

Hello Slick,
I was a big fan of F4:AF, then life happened, but Falcon never left my heart -- I'm looking forward to read your exploits! yep

Earlier in the thread you listed your setup along with the modifications you've made to your install...
... may I humbly suggest the use of the old F4's music instead of the (somewhat uninspired) F4:AF's music? tuner

I got the package to do just that.
Let me know if you're interested and I'll upload it somewhere.

Ciao ciao wave2

I never finish anyth
#4463535 - 03/01/19 03:24 PM Re: Dusted off F4 Allied Force...again! [Re: Slick]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Falcon has music? smile

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4463540 - 03/01/19 03:49 PM Re: Dusted off F4 Allied Force...again! [Re: DBond]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by DBond
Falcon has music? smile

"F4 - UI1" - "F4 - UI5"

[Linked Image]

My general mood is very susceptible to whatever playlist I'm currently listening to. The above is my flight sim playlist, gets my mindset into all things flight sims (a bit too modern though, missing those excellent Jane's WWII Fighters Big Band tracks).

The sun is in the east
#4463541 - 03/01/19 03:49 PM Re: Dusted off F4 Allied Force...again! [Re: Comet]  
Slick Offline
Slick  Offline

Originally Posted by Comet
... may I humbly suggest the use of the old F4's music instead of the (somewhat uninspired) F4:AF's music?

I got the package to do just that.
Let me know if you're interested and I'll upload it somewhere.

Thanks Comet! I do have replacing the music on the to-do list. I actually have an install of the original Microprose Falcon 4.0 that I can access and pull the music from. What did you prefer to change...just the main menu music or more?

Is it just a basic copy->paste kind of thing?

Last edited by Slick; 03/01/19 04:28 PM.

#4463543 - 03/01/19 03:55 PM Re: Dusted off F4 Allied Force...again! [Re: Slick]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
IIRC, the original videos are a direct copy replacement for the Korean theater.

EDIT: You may have to rename them to the AF names (don't remember), but they trigger properly for each campaign.

Last edited by MarkG; 03/01/19 04:03 PM.

The sun is in the east
#4463550 - 03/01/19 04:26 PM Re: Dusted off F4 Allied Force...again! [Re: MarkG]  
Slick Offline
Slick  Offline

Originally Posted by MarkG
missing those excellent Jane's WWII Fighters Big Band tracks).

I think it is safe to say that game had some of the best music ever (for a flight sim)...good times they were!!!

#4463556 - 03/01/19 04:37 PM Re: Dusted off F4 Allied Force...again! [Re: Slick]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Oh yeah! biggrin

++++++++++

The campaign videos might be more trouble than I remember. Looking over my F4:AF Support Archive, I copied this from somewhere (probably Frugal's), it might help...

==========

To get the "progress movies" and victory/defest movies working in the campaign:

Copy movies off the original Falcon 4.0 CD (the one released back in 1998), and put them in the "movies" directory and the "movies/korea" directories. You should get video clips when successful, and dire news resports (via 'news video') when the DPRK are rolling across the DMZ.

==========

There are 17 different movies for Falcon 4.0 which are supposed to be working. My guess is that F4Af was not shipped with these film components dur to the space requirements on the CD. IN any case, you can get these movies off the original Falcon 4.0 CD that was realeased in 1998, and put them in your movie file (I put it in 3 plac3es to be sure, MOVIES, COMMON and KOREA2005). Im sure only one of these was necessary but I put it in all 3 because I did not want to guess where they really needed to go.

If you cannot obtain these movies and want to make your own, I think you could do it. These are *.AVI movies at 320X240 (yes, small) in a 4:3 aspect ratio. In order for the movies to make sense, you need to know what each one is called and the "event" that triggers it. So here in the rundown:

FILENAME RELEVANT EVENT

E1A.AVI The DPRK is now launching an all out attack on Seoul
E1B.AVI The DPRK has taken Seoul
E2B.AVI Pyongyang falls to combined forces (but war not over yet)
E3.AVI DPRK retreats from South of teh DMZ / heavy resistance
E4.AVI The US retreats from North of the DMZ / heavy resisistance
E5.AVI Fresh troops, materials/reinforcements arrrive. Major
offensive planned against DPRK
E6.AVI Combined Forces Campaign is unraveling/early setbacks
E8.AVI CHINA ENTERS THE WAR against the US
E9.AVI RUSSIAN ENTERS WAR against US
Intro.AVI INtro for teh whole game
OF.AVI Intro for Iron Fortress
OR.AVI Intro for Rolling Fire
OT.AVI Intro for Tiger Spirit
XL.AVI DEFEAT. US PULLS OUT.
XS.AVI GRINDING, BOODY STALEMATE
XT.AVI UN brokers Cease Fire, pyhrric victory, like a stalemate
XW.AVI COALITION VICTORY / CAMPAIGN WON

Most of tehse now work. For whatever reason, I still get teh Lead Pursuit INtro videos to teh campaigns rather than the originals (the originals had lots of video and narration). However, all teh campaign-specific event movies do work. These range from 6-24 MB in size each, and run for 12-30 seconds each or thereabouts. Now I cant wiat to see custom movies. That said, I doubt anything will be as polished as teh originals. I heard 3rd hand that Lead Pursuit may not have had teh space on teh CD to ship the movies, but hopefully someon can host them. This is not hacking the exe or the game, this is adding back movies which belong in the campaign and give it life.

ps. I figured out why the Intro movies for Iron Fortress, Rolling Fire, and Toger SPirit didnt run. These files are renamed IF.AVI, RF.AVI, and TS.AVI in Falcon4 AF. I just reneamed the original files to these and I got the original movies back. Its really cool. You get a lot more.

Falcon 4 Allied Force is really great, but these movies just make it better and the intros are better than the 10 second clips provided with F4AF.

==========

The sun is in the east
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.