Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#4461712 - 02/16/19 09:49 PM Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
gaw1 Offline
gaw1  Offline

Staying on mission has ever been my problem.....guess I lack the team spirit to hover over the bombers the way I'm supposed to. Show me a bad guy and I'm ravished away by the "your victory has been confirmed" banner. Which is no doubt why I succumbed to bad luck/bad choices early here. Good on you cooler heads.....carry on!!! Rick....sorry to hear no more but it's been great fun participating....as close to multi player as we can come I expect. Thank you!!!

Last edited by gaw1; 02/17/19 12:29 PM.
#4461886 - 02/18/19 04:39 PM Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

MFair sorry about U will be spending time in the English Summer Camp. Staffel readiness is at 1 machine so looks like no flights this week. On the bright side , this is the 1st Challenge that I will make it ( I hope ) thru. Albeit due to No a/c.

Gawd1. Thats been my problem too, U C a perfect bounce every time

Last edited by carrick58; 02/18/19 04:42 PM.
#4461903 - 02/18/19 07:26 PM Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

So here's the results going into week three:

[Linked Image]

Not looking so good for the axis!

Stay frosty!

Attached Files Week 2.jpg
Last edited by Rick_Rawlings; 02/18/19 07:26 PM.

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4461931 - 02/18/19 10:54 PM Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
(I JG 54) Combat Operations... 25 August 1940

Offensive Patrol... Lympne satellite airfield. Provide cover for attacking bomber force
The entire Staffel will carry out the operation...
Schwarn Eins will provide high cover
Schwarm Zwei is to engage with any RAF fighter force

Take off 0900hrs, distance to target 87 km.
Time to target, 14 mins. Weather over target: expect broken cloud.
Route to target altitude, 4700m.
------------------------------------------------------------------

MAX STADLER DIARY ENTRY.

The war goes on... more faces missing in the mess.
We learnt that Piller had been killed yesterday. I thought, if someone like him can get it... then we are all living on borrowed time.

Another change in our order of battle today. My good friend Rosenfeld has been moved to Schwarm Eins.
That means that all the members of my Schwarm are more or less strangers to me.
I even have new arrivals asking 'me' about what it's like over 'there' and ''are our tactics working?''...

''Oh yes, of course... being tied to the bomber force was a great idea'' I'd say... I'm not sure if they understood the sarcasm.

Still, this life has started to become the norm for me I think. Today was another large strike on an RAF airfield.
Nine Emils is again all we could muster (plus three more in workshops).
We are being led by my new flight leader, Hauptgefreiter Camphausen... I looked at him and wondered how long will he last?... He gave us the usual pep talk and we were off.

The flight over the Canal is becoming routine now. The flak was just as intense as usual, but I remember thinking as I glanced out of my other side of the cockpit, just how quiet it was over Dover way...
I could even see the English radar masts as we passed...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

More flak followed us to the target area... I saw the bombers below release their bombs as they flew over, and it really did look like this time they had done a good job!
Then someone reported enemy fighters, and very quickly the madness started again. Very soon there were the usual shouts and warnings...

''I'm attacking now'' from Camphausen... then a little later, ''I'm hit, heading home''...

''I've got him'' from Rosenfeld, all excited and full of the excitement of the chase.

I soon latched onto a Hurricane, overshot him before I could get him in my sights... ''#%&*$#'' I shouted at myself, and now he knows I'm on him.
I climbed at full power, turned over and came down at him again... it was a fleeting shot, but I hit him as he seemed to be suspended in mid air... next thing, the pilot bailed out!
My first kill!!!

[Linked Image]

He bailed out right above the airfield at Lympne... I was so excited I dived through the cloud, and flew flat out, low over the airfield, hoping to shoot up another Tommy aircraft parked up on the field,
But the bombers had done a thorough job, it was completely blasted...

[Linked Image]

I just decided to go all out for the coast at low level, because now the Tommies were throwing their sink and everything else they could find at me as I shot over the airfield...
I kept checking behind and above, expecting an attack at any second, but I made the coast, still pursued by the flak, but no fighters appeared and I made a safe return to Guines...

[Linked Image]

During the debrief after my return, Rosenfeld found me to tell me he had got a Hurricane... ''Me too'' I yelled... we were like a couple of school boys.
But our enthusiasm was short lived, for our IO informed us that our Schwarm Leader had not returned.

''He was returning and his aircraft caught fire, it was reported it just exploded above the sea, there's no hope I'm afraid''... and the war goes on.

#4461936 - 02/18/19 11:49 PM Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Good job, Trooper! I was not liking how low the flight leader took you on the approach though. Did you think he was going to land in England? rofl

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4462147 - 02/20/19 03:17 PM Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Hans Falke
Maj.
1/JG 54

Our 3 rd 109 came up from Maintenance/ a/c Pool. so our Staffel was cancelled out of Mission for Fighter Trolling for Bombers 25 Aug 1940.

#4462224 - 02/20/19 10:30 PM Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? [Re: carrick58]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Originally Posted by carrick58
Hans Falke
Maj.
1/JG 54

Our 3 rd 109 came up from Maintenance/ a/c Pool. so our Staffel was cancelled out of Mission for Fighter Trolling for Bombers 25 Aug 1940.

Always look on the bright side of life! cheers

#4462384 - 02/21/19 10:30 PM Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK

(I JG 54) Combat Operations... 27 August 1940

Offensive Patrol... Lympne satellite airfield. Provide cover for attacking bomber force (Ju 88's of I KG 54)
The entire Staffel will carry out the operation...

Take off 0900hrs, distance to target 80 km.
Time to target, 14 mins. Weather over target: expect heavy cloud.
Route to target altitude, 4000m.

MAX STADLER DIARY ENTRY.

We are to hit Lympne airfield again this morning... after the damage we did the other day I'm surprised the Tommies have it up and running again.

The Staffel now have 14 aircraft fully serviceable with 10 pilots on this operation.
After the briefing we were astounded to think it would still go ahead, despite the bad weather conditions, heavy cloud, fog and high winds were forecast throughout the day.

My group commander took me to one side afterwards and told me my claim for the Hurricane on the last mission had been denied...
''I know you saw the pilot bail out, but no one else saw it to have it confirmed... I'm sorry Stadler''

Once in the air, we made contact with the Ju 88's at the assigned RV... but it was obvious that if the conditions were the same over the target, the bombers would be lucky to hit anything.

[Linked Image]

The now familiar routine took it's course. We crossed the channel and the all too familiar flak came up to meet us.
I knew that it would only take a few minutes before the bombers were over target, and that meant the RAF were bound to be in the vicinity.
I could see aircraft approaching at our own level from 11 oclock and was about to report to the Schwarm Leader, but then identified them as a pack of Dorniers heading back across the channel.
I relaxed and realised that I was sweating, thinking it was a large group of the enemy...
Just as I thought that, a stream of tracers flew past my canopy, followed by several loud bangs that almost made me jump out of my seat!

I frantically looked behind to see a Hurricane, still firing and registering hits on my airframe.
I shoved the nose straight down at full combat power, flat out, watching my altimeter quickly unwinding to 1500m, speed 650 km/h, and then pulled out, banking left to change direction, heading back out across the sea.

I knew that the aircraft was hit, and more than once. I was thankfully ok, just a little shaken... looking out I could see my left wing was like a colander and the elevator was stiff and slow to respond.
The engine though was slowly but surely loosing power...

[Linked Image]

''not again'' I said aloud... ''please, not again''.

But there was no use sitting in a state of denial... I was going to ditch this time.
I tightened my straps, unplugged the radio lead and oxygen hose... by the time I had done that the engine had cut and the propeller was slowly windmilling as I rapidly lost height.

[Linked Image]

I remembered my training... ''do not ditch into oncoming waves, but put down in the troughs between them''.
I watched the sea get closer and closer, and just before my plane hit I raised the nose slightly, and then with a huge bang I hit the surface!

[Linked Image]

My head was thrown violently forward and my shoulders felt like they were coming out of their sockets... then all was quiet, apart from a hissing sound and the sound of incoming water.
The cockpit was slowly filling... Time to get out!
I undid my safety straps and parachute harness, then I got rid of the canopy... I stood up, marvelling that the Emil had not flipped over, and was still floating on the surface. But it couldn't last.

I stepped onto the wing, hanging onto the side of the cockpit, wondering what I should do next... I then became aware of powerful engines approaching from behind.
I could not believe my luck, someone had seen me ditch and were coming to get me. I couldn't care who it was, my own side or the British... all I knew was, I was saved!

[Linked Image]

#4462391 - 02/21/19 11:13 PM Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
gaw1 Offline
gaw1  Offline

Aaaaand....you survived? Sank? Died of hypothermia? Taken prisoner? You're one of our last hopes...great in flight pix. Looking forward to the report! Good on you...G

Last edited by gaw1; 02/21/19 11:14 PM.
#4462400 - 02/22/19 12:09 AM Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Hans Falke
Maj
1/JG54

The JG's Operations Officer called down and said that we would have machines, mostly repairs from ground accidents , At the Staffel for Operations on the 29th. He also hinted at the English is on the ropes having lost over 200 a/c so far and that a Big Grand Slam will knock them out of the War.

https://youtu.be/k88yG93Dh54

#4462401 - 02/22/19 12:14 AM Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

hehe, yes, Trooper, I need closure on that anecdote!

carrick, keep up the good fight... sort of... thumbsup

#4462456 - 02/22/19 12:09 PM Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Ha!... I left it to you guys to work out biggrin

The vessel pictured is..... an S-38 'Schnellboot' so I was rescued by the Kriegsmarine!

#4462461 - 02/22/19 12:52 PM Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Trooper, excellent stories! I sure hope your pilot made it back!
Carrick, carry on Sir!

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4462464 - 02/22/19 01:11 PM Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? [Re: Trooper117]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Originally Posted by Trooper117
Ha!... I left it to you guys to work out biggrin

The vessel pictured is..... an S-38 'Schnellboot' so I was rescued by the Kriegsmarine!

Jeez, now we're, like, supposed to know stuff?!? That wasn't part of the deal!

#4462631 - 02/23/19 02:16 PM Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

As we enter the final week, we are down to the few chosen ones! Remember to better the data for week three:
Pilot Questionnaire

And stay alive: much to my surprise, war has turned out to be pretty dangerous...who'd a thunk it?

#4462687 - 02/23/19 08:23 PM Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
(I JG 54) Combat Operations... 1 September 1940

Offensive Patrol... Dover, Canterbury area.
The Staffel will provide cover for friendly aircraft proceeding to, or returning from operations in that area...

Take off 0700hrs, distance to target area 70 km.
Time to target, 11 mins. Weather over target: expect heavy cloud and rain.
Route to target altitude, 5300m.

MAX STADLER DIARY ENTRY.

My rescue from the channel by the good men of the Kriegsmarine was a wake up call... would I be lucky a third time I had to ask myself.
After I was hauled on board like a floundering fish, they were all laughing so hard they could hardly stand up!
Their Oberleutnant zur See slapped my back, gave me a steaming mug of coffee, and pressed into my other hand a small metal object.

''My Kapitan says you are to have this. You are the fourth Luftwaffe dogfish we have pulled out this week... He also thinks that perhaps some of you might want to transfer as you spend so much time in the water!''

I looked at the shiny object in my hand and smiled. '' Of course I will be eternally grateful to you wonderful mensch, but I couldn't transfer as I don't want to smell of rotten pilchards for the rest of my life''

More back slapping and laughter followed, but I vowed to treasure that metal object as long as I lived...

[Linked Image]

After such a violent landing in the sea, I was in hospital and under observation for three days, as sometimes a pilot can have complications after the event.
I was given the all clear and was returned to Guines to find that in my absence, the Staffel was back to full strength with a full compliment of aircraft, plus two spares.

I went to the mess and could not believe my eyes... standing at the bar talking to Rosenfeld was Zeuch!
I grabbed him and shook his hand... the last time I had seen him was on my very first combat mission, and we had been informed he had been shot down and was posted missing.

''It's so good to see you Zeuch'' I cried... ''where have you been?''

He explained that he had been experiencing engine problems and turned back. Luckily, after a crash landing in the sea about 100m from the beach, he had staggered ashore and was rushed off to hospital.
He had received a blow to his forehead when he hit the sight, then collapsed when he got ashore and had been unconscious for three days!
Needless to say, there was much catching up and 'the odd drink' was consumed!

Hauptmann Hilleke led us out over the channel the following morning... We gained operational height and then headed out to the English coast.
Heavy flak greeted us as we approached Dover... I looked over to see the whole Staffel surrounded by flak. I know exactly what the 'new boys' would be feeling seeing this lot on their first op.

[Linked Image]

As we moved up towards Canterbury, Hilleke suddenly signalled and made a hard left turn... in the distance we could see many aircraft swirling around above the clouds.
I worked out they must be near Hawkinge and it wasn't long before Hilleke radioed enemy contact and led us down on some Hurricanes that were about to hit a formation of Dorniers.
I singled one out that was after a Dornier that had broken away from the group, but the pilot must have seen me and veered sharply away and down.

[Linked Image]

We spiralled down in a rolling scissors but neither he or I could get a good firing solution, and soon we entered the clouds and the bad weather below and we lost each other.

[Linked Image]

I was in the clouds, no visibility... then something close flashed by my canopy, then several more... all around me objects were falling. Then I realised... ''Bombs, they are bloody bombs!''.
I soared upwards, praying they would not hit me... even if a bomb didn't go off, it would smash my little Emil to pieces.
As I cleared the clouds, I found myself smack in the middle of a large formation of Ju 88's!

[Linked Image]

I eased myself out of the bombers vicinity, checked all around for activity, there was nothing... time to take stock. I checked my instruments, finally settling on the fuel gauge.
Definitely time to head back I thought... I don't want to meet those jokers in the Kriegsmarine again... the thought made me smile!

[Linked Image]

I could make out ahead of me some small formations making their way back across the channel... ''Must be my Staffel'' I thought. Their fuel state must be more or less the same as mine.
I crossed without incident, slowly gaining on the formations ahead.
I dropped below the clouds and prepared myself for the bumpy ride ahead... soon enough, the wind and rain were buffeting me, but I was thankful that this time I had made it back home.

[Linked Image]

I landed without mishap... as I taxied in I could see most of the Staffel had landed. I could see Zeuch's aircraft to my right just completing his taxi... Eight down, plus I had seen three still in the circuit.
I felt good as I switched off and undid my straps and climbed out onto the wing... waiting for me was a few of the pilots with Hilleke and a host of 'Black Men'...

[Linked Image]

'' We were worried about you'' shouted Hilleke... '' We took bets to see if you would get straight into your dinghy''

''Very, very amusing Herr Hauptmann'' was all I could come up with... The rest of them all fell about laughing!

Last edited by Trooper117; 02/23/19 08:51 PM.
#4462706 - 02/23/19 10:30 PM Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Good job, Trooper, sorry you lost your quarry!

#4462728 - 02/24/19 01:32 AM Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Hans Falke
Maj,
1/JG54.

Mission 12.

1 Sept 1940.

The Staffel missed out flying on Neuer Tag. However the Replacements and a few a/c did come in. Posted to Troll for Fighters over Dover as Our AirFleets bombed. If the English was up we didnt see anything but Heavy Flack. 109's up and all 8 came back.

Attached Files CFS3 2019-02-23 17-07-09-55.jpgCFS3 2019-02-23 17-07-38-67.jpg
Last edited by carrick58; 02/24/19 01:33 AM.
#4462737 - 02/24/19 02:44 AM Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

When the same number leave as come back, it's a good day!

#4462768 - 02/24/19 12:25 PM Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
I like the flak representation in the game biggrin
Have to say though, in all the bomber escort missions flown, not a single bomber has been shot down or properly targeted by the enemy.
The fighters all go for my flight, nothing else... During the actual BoB, weren't bombers the main target aircraft, if I remember right.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.