Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4462320 - 02/21/19 03:16 PM The Holy Grail Of WOFF.....  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

Last year we saw some amazing improvements in WOFF performance thanks to members of this community, most notably from the Blue Triangle fix, but also from the many other fine mods that help to increase the sense of "being there". However, there are two remaining immersion breakers, namely popping/ shimmering clouds and occasional micro stutters. For me, fixing these would be the Holy Grail of WOFF. People have stated that the cloud issues simply cannot be fixed and we've all learned to enjoy WOFF in spite of this and the stutters.

My graphics card died over the holidays and I finally got a replacement. It's an Nvidia 1070 with 8GB RAM. My son has been preaching the virtues of G-SYNC so I went crazy and picked up a Dell 27" monitor to go with. I was hoping against hope that maybe the cloud and stutter issues might improve. Well, at 2048x1440 everything looks gorgeous and I was able to crank up the detail to max, but I still had those immersion dampers. Worse still, the BT mod forced me to turn on V-SYNC, since my Track-IR is unusable with it off!

Next I did a complete reinstall of WOFF UE. No better. Finally, in desperation, I fired up Nvidia Inspector and started a long process of experimentation. I figured the issues had to be something to do with syncing. After several hours and many reboots I think I may have hit upon something remarkable. Late last night, after yet another reboot, I suddenly found myself looking around from my cockpit and experiencing extreme fluidity. Hardly able to believe it, I took off and climbed with silky ease, looking around as I did so. No stutters.... and no cloud popping! In fact, the experience of flying past small clouds and staring back at them as they stay in place is quite simply, amazing.

Now It was getting very late and in fact I may have dreamed all this smile. But if it turns out that I have found the Holy Grail of WOFF, I will make a video and post my settings. If not, then I will feel quite foolish! Unfortunately I won't be able to get to this until tomorrow, so you'll have to stay on the edges of your seats for now smile

Stay tuned....!

H

System: i5 8600K @ 3.6GHz,16GB DDR4 @2666MHz. RTX2080, MSI Z370 mobo, Dell 27" G-SYNC @ 144Hz. 2560x1440

#4462323 - 02/21/19 04:09 PM Re: The Holy Grail Of WOFF..... [Re: HarryH]  
Hellshade Online content
Hellshade
Hellshade  Online Content
Hellshade

Florida
Looking forward to your post Harry!

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4462326 - 02/21/19 04:51 PM Re: The Holy Grail Of WOFF..... [Re: HarryH]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Well, one thing's for sure, I'll be on the edge of my seat waiting to hear back. As you put it, the ongoing issues stutters - regardless of hardware - and the cloud popping are IMO the defining immersion breakers. (Personally, I'd prefer to see volumetric clouds, but that's not likely to ever happen and is best left to another discussion...if you can get rid of the popping, well enough).

Also, as an incentive/appreciation (and this is open to whomever can claim it first), if you provide proof of a way to eliminate stutters and cloud popping entirely, I'll PayPal you $50 with my compliments. Certainly worth it, no question. (Of course, the proof is subject to confirmation...most notably it must be something that can be replicated elsewhere using a proven methodology).

Here's my concern: I believe that the testing method(s) being used often mislead the tester, by making it seem as if the stutters are gone. Let me explain.

Long ago, I recall reading (on a well-respected forum concerned with CFS3, mind you) about the different tweaks which (at that time) could improve CFS3 graphics. Plenty of interested parties, and those tweaks were proven. But the key to confirming whether these things actually worked was to make sure the same test was done every time. This wasn't new to me; as a trained and experienced troubleshooter, I already long since knew the importance of 'apples-to-apples' comparisons when testing different approaches to technical problems. At any rate, the significance of the CFS thread from way back is that it mentions specifically about making sure you're using a test flight that you can repeat at will identically, and that also will replicate the issue(s) you're working on, Obviously, not much point in testing a boat for leaks unless it's in the water; by the same token, you can't properly test for stutters and cloud popping unless you're using a methodology (test flight) that actually has the issue in the first place. You absolutely have to use a flight that, no matter how many times you fly, the same stutters appear - ideally, at the same moment. Otherwise, you have no way of knowing whether they would (or would not have) occurred during follow-up tests.

No one here can accurately say what causes stutters, so logically, the only way to make sure a test will show stutters is if you can see them in the first place - before any changes are made. Then, make the changes you want, re-do the same test and observe for stutters.

Finally - and this is a crucial part: Un-do the changes, and re-do the test. If your test and theory are valid, the stutters will return. If not, then (as I believe has often happened), something else besides your changes is likely causing the stutters to come and go, but it's not being controlled by your changes.

Most anyone learns how to 'swap parts' to isolate technical problems: If you suspect a graphics card problem, swap the card with another card and see if the problem goes away. The mistake that is sometimes made involves (what I call) the 'second swap test'. Put the first card back, and verify the problem does follow the suspect unit. This step is often overlooked, commonly because (if the first swap fixed the issue) then why bother? Well, a lot of things can happen, most notably that the physical act of unplugging/plugging a part ("re-seating") can clean corrosion off contact pins or correct a small alignment issue...plus, if you're following best practices, then the power supply has been removed/reapplied as well...lots of things happen when that swap is made. I can assure you, in 35+ years of electronics maintenance, I've solved far more problems re-seating hardware than replacing it, by probably a factor of 2:1 at least (especially in industrial conditions like dirt, grease, moisture, vibration, temp extremes, etc).

Anyway, I believe that a lack of a repeatable test has resulted in any number of claims to have 'fixed the stutters', where all that happened was testing that - for whatever reason - wasn't likely to show the stutters in the first place. I'd welcome seeing a solution that can be repeated universally - in other words, an actual solution. A solution that will 'follow the swap'.

One other aside: Many here have insisted that the very process of using your machine to create the video is what causes stuttering. I'd be interested in seeing your outcome and thus whether it's possible to record video on a PC without causing stutters. (I am quite sure this wasn't the problem I've seen, as it occurs both when recording and when not, and also the sounds aren't affected in videos that show stuttering most often; though I understand they are different data, it still indicates to me that the stuttering is within the video display from WOFF only).

Edit: It also doesn't make sense that someone can post 100's of videos without stutter, then suggest that recording causes stutter in 1 video created by the same individual, using the same recording process on the same machine, likely under the same conditions...seems rather obvious the stuttering would've been far more prevalent in at least some of the other videos, if the stuttering were actually being caused by the recording process.

I look forward to your result, and wish you the very best of luck.

Last edited by kksnowbear; 02/21/19 05:05 PM.
#4462332 - 02/21/19 05:08 PM Re: The Holy Grail Of WOFF..... [Re: HarryH]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

kksnowbear, I knew you would weigh in on this one. You and I have had numerous discussions over the years concerning these very issues. Despite the best efforts of all concerned, me included, no one has been able to get rid of the micro stutters and cloud popping permanently, nor with a solution that worked with an equal amount of success for all who've tried it. HarryH, I hope beyond hope that you can find a real solution to these issues, I really do. Unfortunately, I no longer believe such a solution exists. However, I am more than willing to be proven wrong. So, please, please, please, by all means, prove me wrong.

Lou

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4462333 - 02/21/19 05:10 PM Re: The Holy Grail Of WOFF..... [Re: kksnowbear]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

I agree with everything you said KS. I couldn't resist, and just squeezed in a quick flight. Certainly not 100% cured but massively improved on all fronts - 75% fixed? Guess I don't win the prize, but it's still way better than before smile

I'll post full settings tomorrow once I've tweaked a bit more and, as you say, tried something at least approaching repeatable. However, it really does seem to have made a huge impact, that I can trace to one particular setting change: V-SYNC ON with 1/2 Rate selected. I don't think I've ever seen anyone suggest 1/2 rate before. With a 144hz refresh rate it seems to work really well in concert with the high end BT fix, giving a steady 72FPS and no tearing. G-SYNC has to be on as well.

Give it a try!

H

System: i5 8600K @ 3.6GHz,16GB DDR4 @2666MHz. RTX2080, MSI Z370 mobo, Dell 27" G-SYNC @ 144Hz. 2560x1440

#4462334 - 02/21/19 05:19 PM Re: The Holy Grail Of WOFF..... [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Originally Posted by RAF_Louvert
. Unfortunately, I no longer believe such a solution exists. However, I am more than willing to be proven wrong. So, please, please, please, by all means, prove me wrong.

Indeed, good sir. And, like you, I'd be absolutely thrilled to be proven wrong.

#4462337 - 02/21/19 05:25 PM Re: The Holy Grail Of WOFF..... [Re: HarryH]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Originally Posted by HarryH
I agree with everything you said KS. I couldn't resist, and just squeezed in a quick flight. Certainly not 100% cured but massively improved on all fronts - 75% fixed? Guess I don't win the prize, but it's still way better than before smile

I'll post full settings tomorrow once I've tweaked a bit more and, as you say, tried something at least approaching repeatable. However, it really does seem to have made a huge impact, that I can trace to one particular setting change: V-SYNC ON with 1/2 Rate selected. I don't think I've ever seen anyone suggest 1/2 rate before. With a 144hz refresh rate it seems to work really well in concert with the high end BT fix, giving a steady 72FPS and no tearing. G-SYNC has to be on as well.

Give it a try!

H

I am still sure your input is appreciated and valuable, and I'm grateful for your honest efforts to put it in context. There are actually quite a few settings that I believe can improve stutters, although saying that also does sort of suggest those settings weren't correct to begin with.

One regretful part (if I'm looking at it right) is that your experience *might* mean GSYNC is required...although it is becoming more common, I believe those with the necessary hardware are still in the vast minority.

Like Lou (and others) I have long since begun to doubt there is an actual solution.

#4462342 - 02/21/19 05:50 PM Re: The Holy Grail Of WOFF..... [Re: kksnowbear]  
Robert_Wiggins Online smile
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Online Smile
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Kksnowbear

Your observations are quite valid for sure but in terms of a standard test case, one of the difficulties with WOFF is the randomness of events that can be generated even in a saved scenario. I guess what I am saying is that there is no way to have ctotal control of the test case and that can induce variance into the results. You are probably aware of this anyway but I thought I should raise the point for everyone

Best Regards

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4462349 - 02/21/19 06:10 PM Re: The Holy Grail Of WOFF..... [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Originally Posted by Robert_Wiggins
Kksnowbear

Your observations are quite valid for sure but in terms of a standard test case, one of the difficulties with WOFF is the randomness of events that can be generated even in a saved scenario. I guess what I am saying is that there is no way to have ctotal control of the test case and that can induce variance into the results. You are probably aware of this anyway but I thought I should raise the point for everyone

Best Regards

Possible only if scenario missions or custom mission file is created. If the file contents never change, then the mission will never change except for the AI controlled planes. If there are no AI controlled planes and you point to the same weather file (not the random dynamic one), then everything will remain the same each and every time. I have written numerous scenario files and the only random change is the AI reaction.

#4462353 - 02/21/19 06:19 PM Re: The Holy Grail Of WOFF..... [Re: HarryH]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Actually, Robert, I (think) I understand what you're trying to describe, but - in this situation - all that matters is a test case where the issue (stutters) can be reproduced/observed any number of times - as many times as the scenario is run - and will consistently occur at the same moment.

If the randomness you mention caused the stutters to *fail to* appear, it might be a problem. But - while I'm not claiming "total control", it's fairly easy to create a test case in which the issue we're discussing can be duplicated. Unless you're saying the test is somehow causing the stutters, then the test itself shouldn't be at issue, and as long as it presents the stutters then randomness shouldn't be a concern. If they are consistently there without a proposed fix, and not there with a proposed fix, consistently, then I'd say the "proof of the pudding is in the eating" (as the actual original proverb goes).

Again, what's key is the consistency. Once you have a scenario where you *always* see the issue (without fixes), then you can begin testing solutions until you *do not* see the issue.

You have to remember, this was important and significant enough that it was mentioned back on that CFS3 tweak guide thread I mentioned. And I believe the folks involved at the time understood what you've mentioned - which is actually *why* there was specific emphasis put on a repeatable test scenario.

Last edited by kksnowbear; 02/21/19 06:26 PM.
#4462358 - 02/21/19 07:05 PM Re: The Holy Grail Of WOFF..... [Re: HarryH]  
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
kksnowbear;

Everything you have stated makes sense. That said, what I was alluding to is that any test scenario in WOFF cannot provide true consistency in that the scenario when flown, will have randomness within it such as number of generated enemy aircraft and "World" activities running which can have a varying degree of impact on performance. The only case I can think of that would provide true consistency is when you fly a QC mission where you can control how many aircraft will be active, cloud density and cover, etc, etc...

Does that clarify things for you?

(System_Specs)

#4462361 - 02/21/19 07:28 PM Re: The Holy Grail Of WOFF..... [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

kksnowbear;

Everything you have stated makes sense. That said, what I was alluding to is that any test scenario in WOFF cannot provide true consistency in that the scenario when flown, will have randomness within it such as number of generated enemy aircraft and "World" activities running which can have a varying degree of impact on performance. The only case I can think of that would provide true consistency is when you fly a QC mission where you can control how many aircraft will be active, cloud density and cover, etc, etc...

Imagine that...It happens that the scenario I am referring to is actually a QC flight.

Again, if we fly the same flight many (many) times and the behavior is always the same (meaning, "with the issue under test"), then it could be reasonably asserted that the only way it will change is if something has had the desired effect on said behavior. And, logically, just as with mathematics, the proof is the opposite operation: Un-do the changes, the issue should return - if we are actually affecting the issue.

I do understand that WOFF itself makes this kind of troubleshooting difficult or confusing for many. As I've explained, this is why it's essential to ensure you have a valid test case - that is, one that (without external influence) will always produce a consistent result. It's fairly easy to set up a QC that will consistently show the issue at hand.

Once again, I am not claiming to have "total control" - but, as long as I can reliably reproduce said issue (and, more importantly, if it can be shown to subside/recur by applying/removing a repeatable "fix") I'm pretty sure total control isn't necessary.

#4462363 - 02/21/19 07:49 PM Re: The Holy Grail Of WOFF..... [Re: HarryH]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
Holy cow...... this made me do something I rarely do...adjust settings when things seem to be ok.

In the nvidia settings I changed my VS from

"on" ...what I normaly use and get steady 60 fps
"Adaptiv 1/2 rate"....33 fps, yuck
"Fast" 100+ fps and no tearing!!

Last edited by lederhosen; 02/21/19 07:50 PM.

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#4462365 - 02/21/19 07:58 PM Re: The Holy Grail Of WOFF..... [Re: kksnowbear]  
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by kksnowbear
kksnowbear;

Imagine that...It happens that the scenario I am referring to is actually a QC flight.

Again, if we fly the same flight many (many) times and the behavior is always the same (meaning, "with the issue under test"), then it could be reasonably asserted that the only way it will change is if something has had the desired effect on said behavior. And, logically, just as with mathematics, the proof is the opposite operation: Un-do the changes, the issue should return - if we are actually affecting the issue.

I do understand that WOFF itself makes this kind of troubleshooting difficult or confusing for many. As I've explained, this is why it's essential to ensure you have a valid test case - that is, one that (without external influence) will always produce a consistent result. It's fairly easy to set up a QC that will consistently show the issue at hand.

Once again, I am not claiming to have "total control" - but, as long as I can reliably reproduce said issue (and, more importantly, if it can be shown to subside/recur by applying/removing a repeatable "fix") I'm pretty sure total control isn't necessary.

Ahh, so we are on the same page then! No problem.

(System_Specs)

#4462395 - 02/21/19 11:41 PM Re: The Holy Grail Of WOFF..... [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Ahh, so we are on the same page then! No problem.

I think so. From my perspective, the QC part was obvious since (I thought years ago, and still do) that is most likely the best (if not only) way to control the other variables. That made it a 'no-brainer' as regards a test scenario that's as uniform as possible.

The rest is just getting the tester to 'follow the script', make the same movements etc while avoiding anything not in the test....and last but not least, being willing to both recognize when there's an obvious variance that would affect outcome, and 'do-over' if appropriate.

So far, this has never been done to my knowledge; certainly not been done without the issue being observed, and/or in a test that wasn't compromised.

Last edited by kksnowbear; 02/21/19 11:42 PM.
#4462567 - 02/22/19 10:48 PM Re: The Holy Grail Of WOFF..... [Re: HarryH]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

OK thank you to those who have been waiting patiently for my follow up post on stutters and cloud issues. Sadly I have not found the Holy Grail, although I'm in a much more immersive place than have ever been with WOFF. My apologies for building up peoples' hopes, however. I can only assume that what I experienced initially was the euphoria of seeing WOFF running on better hardware than before, and therefore conclude that others with higher end systems will have had similar experiences.

That said, my tests around running at half the refresh rate have led me to experiment with framerate limits. Others may have already reached similar conclusions, but I appear to be getting a demonstrably better experience WRT to stutters and cloud issues when my framerate is capped between 60-72. It's almost as if the game engine can't keep up a fast enough rendering rate at higher framerates if that makes sense?

Anyhow, after lots of tweaking, I'm currently running VSYNC off, GSYNC on, framerate capped at 60, the high end BT mod installed and stock clouds (i.e. no cloud mods installed although I do love BB's mod and will be turning it back on at some point to see if it makes a difference). Both stutter and cloud issue are very much improved now as compared to running with an uncapped framerate. In fact, if I run at the GSYNC rate of 144, the game just freezes when I move my headtracker viewpoint.... anyone else had that issue?

I will capture some video from my next few missions and try to upload something to YT.

Cheers

H

#4462576 - 02/23/19 01:04 AM Re: The Holy Grail Of WOFF..... [Re: HarryH]  
Panama Red Offline
Panama Red  Offline

Irmo, SC, USA
HarryH:
Just to let you know, G-sync was designed by Nvidia to have V-sync on at the same time (FWIW) as mentioned by a number of articles since G-sync was released.

It does not surprise me that certain "stutters" are still there because CFS3.exe is a 2002 executable and OBD (as well as our additional mods) have added so much to the game over the years, that it just means the old CFS3.exe just has more and more to load as you fly along in the game.

If you have ever noticed, the biggest "stutters" occur whenever the game (CFS3.exe) has to load new terrain, or planes to the game and you can visually see this when is stutters because the load is so much larger that when the game (CFS3.exe) was originally designed.

Fortunately AnKor have really helped the game (WOFF and WOTR) by moving more and more of the game visual load from the CPU (which CFS3.exe uses) to the GPU, but the loads are still there with this old executable.

In spite of all of this, it is still the best WW1 Flight Campaign game out there and hopefully OBD keeps making it better and better in the future.

CPU = i9 11900K
GPU = RTX 3080 Ti
Monitor = ASUS ROG Swift PG32UQX 2160p G-sync
#4462585 - 02/23/19 02:33 AM Re: The Holy Grail Of WOFF..... [Re: HarryH]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

Thank You PR, good to know! I've turned V-SYNC back on and I'm back to the 1/2 refresh rate setting in Nvidia Inspector and I'm really happy with things. Everything is set to high detail in the WOFF Workshop. I'm running the BT mod via JJJ's Mission Editor at the Quality setting (for 50-100 planes). I've worked really hard on my TrackIR settings (makes a big difference I think). I'm seeing virtually no stutters except for close to the ground, and cloud popping is vastly improved unless I use BB's cloud mod, which is beautiful but it does cause more popping and jaggies unfortunately, at least on my setup. I may not have reached the Holy Grail but it feels pretty darn close smile. And I agree, it's an amazing SIM. I'm super excited that it sounds like there's another expansion coming for it, too!

#4464899 - 03/11/19 12:48 AM Re: The Holy Grail Of WOFF..... [Re: HarryH]  
ARUP Offline
ARUP  Offline

Kentucky
This is anecdotal at best but I experience the dreaded stutters when my flight lasts a long time and only if I am over enemy territory. I will start keeping a log for anyone interested. I certainly don't know anything about the function of computers!

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans