Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4462273 - 02/21/19 06:34 AM Plastics Are Awesome For Use By Humans .... But Not So Much For the Rest of the World  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/28/business/samsung-plastic-packaging/index.html

Good to see companies stepping up their game..... the world is like your house in a way ... it needs to be maintained and kept clean

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4462281 - 02/21/19 10:16 AM Re: Plastics Are Awesome For Use By Humans .... But Not So Much For the Rest of the World [Re: Haggart]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Spot on Haggart,,We have known about the problem for years and choose to ignore it,,Both corporate America and the people who consume the products
Plastics pollute our Oceans and waterways,,and our land fills with stuff that doesn't deteriorate....Here they are just starting a recycling program with house hold trash,,It only takes a second to throw your recyclable items into a second bin.. Going to the grocery you amass a lot of plastic bags that add to the waste,,I bought a bunch of the cloth bags at Wal Mart and always bring them with me and have been reusing them for years There must be a way to make water bottles that are bio-degradable when I walk my dog downtown I see them on the street ten feet away from a trash can,,I pick them up but then they just end up in the land fill forever
,Packaging is ridiculous a small item is inside a plastic square 5 times the size of the item and sometimes has to be cut open with a razor knife..
Hopefully people and companies can become aware of the problem and take actions to reduce toe waste and reduce the amount of plastics ruining our environment

Russ
Semper Fi
#4462282 - 02/21/19 10:35 AM Re: Plastics Are Awesome For Use By Humans .... But Not So Much For the Rest of the World [Re: Haggart]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

The use of plastics for packaging is definitely something that needs to go away as much as possible - I'm tired of having to grab a #%&*$# knife just to open something.

The use of plastics for actual PRODUCTS isn't going away - that genie left the bottle decades ago, but #%&*$# some of this packaging nowadays...

Recycling is key in either case, and it needs to be taught in schools. Look at practically any residential (let alone business) recycle bin - people don't know how to sort...

#4462284 - 02/21/19 11:01 AM Re: Plastics Are Awesome For Use By Humans .... But Not So Much For the Rest of the World [Re: Haggart]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
I didn't know this to just recently, black plastic can't be recycled.

[Linked Image]

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4462291 - 02/21/19 11:44 AM Re: Plastics Are Awesome For Use By Humans .... But Not So Much For the Rest of the World [Re: Haggart]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
It will be interesting to look up which companies are the major manufacturers of plastic in the world and then see which politicians they have contributed money to.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4462292 - 02/21/19 11:54 AM Re: Plastics Are Awesome For Use By Humans .... But Not So Much For the Rest of the World [Re: Haggart]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
#4462293 - 02/21/19 12:05 PM Re: Plastics Are Awesome For Use By Humans .... But Not So Much For the Rest of the World [Re: Haggart]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
A supermarket chain in the UK, Budgens , recently stopped using plastic packaging entirely. This is not some fringe hippy style chain either. They just told their suppliers that they would delist their products if they arrived wrapped in any sort of plastic. The conversion apparently took less than 3 months from start to finish. Now they use paper bags or folks bring their own. cellophane wraps, cardboard boxes etc.......just like ALL STORES when I was kid smile

Here's a link but the reporting is poor because in only talks about a store in London.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/11/07/britains-first-plastic-free-supermarket-zones-open/

Last edited by No105_Archie; 02/21/19 12:05 PM.

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#4462296 - 02/21/19 12:31 PM Re: Plastics Are Awesome For Use By Humans .... But Not So Much For the Rest of the World [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
It will be interesting to look up which companies are the major manufacturers of plastic in the world and then see which politicians they have contributed money to.

Take your politics to WCE.

#4462300 - 02/21/19 12:50 PM Re: Plastics Are Awesome For Use By Humans .... But Not So Much For the Rest of the World [Re: Zamzow]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Zamzow
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

Take your politics to WCE.

Offended much or do you own a ton of shares in a plastic manufacturing company?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4462307 - 02/21/19 01:21 PM Re: Plastics Are Awesome For Use By Humans .... But Not So Much For the Rest of the World [Re: Haggart]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
Please lets keep this post about plastic waste problems/recycling/solutions on the Community Hall side and not delve into any political side of it - thanks !

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
#4462331 - 02/21/19 05:07 PM Re: Plastics Are Awesome For Use By Humans .... But Not So Much For the Rest of the World [Re: Haggart]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Smokers piss me off the most with their cigarette trash at the beach.

#4462343 - 02/21/19 05:53 PM Re: Plastics Are Awesome For Use By Humans .... But Not So Much For the Rest of the World [Re: Haggart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
The map graphic is suspect, as it claims all life in the oceans will be dead in just two generations.

Every bit of life in all the oceans dead in sixty years.

Just a big sterile bunch of water that covers seventy percent of the globe. We can use it for medical purposes, as it will be completely sterile.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4462351 - 02/21/19 06:12 PM Re: Plastics Are Awesome For Use By Humans .... But Not So Much For the Rest of the World [Re: Dart]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Originally Posted by Dart
The map graphic is suspect, as it claims all life in the oceans will be dead in just two generations.

Just a big sterile bunch of water that covers seventy percent of the globe. We can use it for medical purposes, as it will be completely sterile.

No it doesn't Dart. You missed the word 'could'.

#4462355 - 02/21/19 06:26 PM Re: Plastics Are Awesome For Use By Humans .... But Not So Much For the Rest of the World [Re: Haggart]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
I was surprised to see how much plastic the birds out on some of the pacific islands will eat. Dead bird carcasses scattered around, cut them open and their internals are gorged with plastic bottle caps.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4462369 - 02/21/19 08:21 PM Re: Plastics Are Awesome For Use By Humans .... But Not So Much For the Rest of the World [Re: adlabs6]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted by adlabs6
I was surprised to see how much plastic the birds out on some of the pacific islands will eat. Dead bird carcasses scattered around, cut them open and their internals are gorged with plastic bottle caps.

That's just humanity doing its part to help evolve smarter, tougher birds...

#4462424 - 02/22/19 03:57 AM Re: Plastics Are Awesome For Use By Humans .... But Not So Much For the Rest of the World [Re: CyBerkut]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by CyBerkut

Oh come on man, I hope that was in jest and not serious. Man needs to realize that as stewards of this planet, it comes with responsibility, and because we have the power to destroy all life on Earth, we must strive to do better. And if that means finding a way to produce less waste, then we should feel obligated to do so.

#4462435 - 02/22/19 05:43 AM Re: Plastics Are Awesome For Use By Humans .... But Not So Much For the Rest of the World [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
Originally Posted by CyBerkut

Oh come on man, I hope that was in jest and not serious. Man needs to realize that as stewards of this planet, it comes with responsibility, and because we have the power to destroy all life on Earth, we must strive to do better. And if that means finding a way to produce less waste, then we should feel obligated to do so.

+1 Quadrillion.

When we take natural material and make it into something unnatural then we use it for a purpose. Once that is exhausted we should either find a way to re-purpose it, or find a way to "put it back how we found it".

When or if we screw up the food chain people will start realizing - but it'd be too late by then...

#4462436 - 02/22/19 05:50 AM Re: Plastics Are Awesome For Use By Humans .... But Not So Much For the Rest of the World [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Originally Posted by KraziKanuK
Originally Posted by Dart

No it doesn't Dart. You missed the word 'could'.

Sorry, could be sterile of all life in sixty years.

Sterile. Of. All. Life.

It also could give rise to Godzilla.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4462437 - 02/22/19 06:00 AM Re: Plastics Are Awesome For Use By Humans .... But Not So Much For the Rest of the World [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Meatsheild Offline
Arma3 guy!
Meatsheild  Offline
Arma3 guy!

Peoples Republic of Yorkshire
Originally Posted by KraziKanuK
I didn't know this to just recently, black plastic can't be recycled.

Actually ALL plastic can be recyled, you just have to chop it up into little pellets so it can be remoulded into sheets/shapes. The issue with the black plastic (at least in the UK) is that the laser in the sorting machines cant "see" them and classes it as waste and chucks it out the system. Its then bagged up and just taken to the dump because theres nothing in place to actually deal with it ... and no incentive to, bugger the planet, they want profit!

Its the same all over the uk, stuff IS recyleable, however the infurstructer isnt there due to money/business/policital reasons.

Last edited by Meatsheild; 02/22/19 06:02 AM.

SimHQ Arma3 sessions, weekly semi-serious co-op action for all ages and skills! check the forum sticky for more info!

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3732626/SimHQ_Arma3_Sessions,_who,_wha#Post3732626

All spelling errors are included free of charge and courtesy of a broken spell checker!
#4462453 - 02/22/19 11:35 AM Re: Plastics Are Awesome For Use By Humans .... But Not So Much For the Rest of the World [Re: Meatsheild]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Meatsheild

however the infurstructer isnt there due to money/business/policital reasons.

Is that how "infrastructure" is spelled in the UK? wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.