Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4461479 - 02/15/19 09:25 AM Re: What are you currently playing? [Re: Bill_Grant]  
DM Online content
DM  Online Content

Prague
Originally Posted by Bill_Grant
Chucky, is that kind of like deciding to watch someone eat on the TV, when you are hungry?

Actually I sometimes do that too. If there's a game I'm interested in but not 100% convinced, then if it's the type of game that can't be spoiled I'll watch a "Let's Play" type video.

The strange thing is, I can enjoy a let's play video of one game but not feel any desire to play it, and yet watch another one and simply HAVE to play it smile

Examples: Factorio. I enjoyed videos of that game without any desire to play it myself.

Crusader Kings 2 & Planetary Annihilation: wildly different games, fun to watch (CK2 is very dry to watch though unless the narrator is good) and both fun to play.

(Actually, CK2 is the game I want to play after watching Game Of Thrones smile political & dynastic intrigue without the magic.)

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4461490 - 02/15/19 11:38 AM Re: What are you currently playing? [Re: F4UDash4]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by F4UDash4
You guys who play multiple games... do you have wives? biggrin

Yup, I do. My wife also has her own hobbies and she's a pharmacist so she probably spends more time at work than at home anyway!

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4461492 - 02/15/19 11:59 AM Re: What are you currently playing? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Chef Offline
Chef  Offline

North Carolina
So you got your very own Pyxis dispenser at home for the good meds?

The road less traveled is filled with fewer needy people.
#4461494 - 02/15/19 12:06 PM Re: What are you currently playing? [Re: Chef]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Chef
So you got your very own Pyxis dispenser at home for the good meds?

LOL!! No need for any meds yet but that may change when I'm in my 60's or so. biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4461520 - 02/15/19 02:41 PM Re: What are you currently playing? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
After finally being able to give up that addiction which was Destiny 1 + 2 which took up an endless amount of time since 2014 I recently started to get back into flightsims and other older titles.

- IL-2 BoX: Offline campaigns, learning the different planes and enjoying the scenery flying around.

- Close Combat Cross of Iron and John Tiller´s Campaign Series: Oldies but goldies. yep

- Nioh: An action RPG set in Japan during the year 1600. Think of a dark fantasy version of the late Sengoku period. Though I suck at those Dark Souls like games I really adore this one here. Extremely fluid fighting, very fast and utterly unforgiving! Love it! thumbsup

Time is the only luxury.
#4461558 - 02/15/19 05:08 PM Re: What are you currently playing? [Re: DM]  
cichlidfan Offline
cichlidfan  Offline

Woodbridge, VA, USA
Originally Posted by DM
Examples: Factorio. I enjoyed videos of that game without any desire to play it myself.

Playing it is awesome. Unfortunately, you end up having to remind yourself to eat, sleep and take care of the dogs. wink

Last edited by cichlidfan; 02/15/19 05:08 PM.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
#4461563 - 02/15/19 05:38 PM Re: What are you currently playing? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Patrocles Offline
Hotshot
Patrocles  Offline
Hotshot

Chicagoland
I am so busy with work and family that I spend any spare gaming time in iRacing (luv that Mercedes AMG GT3 car!)

i am also selling off some flight gear here:
http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...-i-and-t-rudder-mk-iv-pedals#Post4461562

Animal Mother > Rambo+ChuckNorris
#4461610 - 02/15/19 10:23 PM Re: What are you currently playing? [Re: Blade_RJ]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted by Blade_RJ
Originally Posted by ricnunes
Currently, only Cold Waters.

is it really like 688 ? janes fleet ?

Hi Blade,

Well to be honest with you the short answer to your question is (and oddly so) both yes and no.

The long answer is that in fact this game (Cold Waters) is based on a 1988 game called "Red Storm Rising" developed by MicroProse back then whose storyline is based on the Tom Clancy's novel of the same name (Red Storm Rising):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Storm_Rising_(video_game)

When comparing Cold Waters to Jane's 688i, I would say:
- While Cold Waters is no "arcade game", it is a "light sim" much more simplified than 688i, since for example you don't have the different and dedicated stations views. For example no TMA station or Radar/ESM station, etc...
What you have in terms of views (in Cold Waters) is the periscope view (when extended) and the Tactical Map where you can see and select the currently detected contacts and then you have 4 tabs in which one of them can be used to expand a simplified ID page where after selecting your contact you can ID it in terms of frequency by comparing the contact's frequency with the frequencies stored on the subs Database - Here it is very similar to 688i albeit much more simplified, for example you don't select stuff like turns per knot and you cannot listen the noise level to bearing or resuming, you can only listen in the frequency band.
The other 3 tabs that you can expand allows you to track your current weapons stored on the sub and load weapons into the torpedo tubes, track the damage of the sub (you can even assign which part/section of the sub will be the priority for the repair parties) but again nothing as "fancy" as in 688i.
- So as you can see, Cold Waters is simplified compared to 688i although and again it is not an arcade game - Again I would classify it as a "light sim", which for the lack of time that I'm currently having is actually a good thing IMO (easy to learn and master, IMO).

Also IMO, one of the best features of Cold Waters is that you have 3 campaigns, ranging from the 1960's, to 1984 and 2000. I would say that in terms of tech and tactics the 1984 and 2000 campaigns are quite close to what we are used to in 688i.
The 1960's campaign seems very interesting (I haven't played it yet, but I played a few single mission of this era) since it seems to be a quite change in terms of tech and tactics compared to the 1984 and 2000 campaigns. For example in the 1960's missions or campaign your main weapon against surface ships are unguided torpedos (WWII style) and there's no missiles such as the Harpoon Anti-Ship missile. There are (wire) guided torpedos in the 1960's era but they are rather slow and short ranged and have a relatively weak warhead - basically their usefulness seems to be intended for use against enemy submarines (and even here there are very limited against the fastest ones) and as such their effectiveness is very limited against ships.

If there's something more specific that you would like to know about Cold Waters, please feel free to ask.

#4461611 - 02/15/19 10:35 PM Re: What are you currently playing? [Re: ricnunes]  
Lieste Offline
Lieste  Offline

is it really like 688 ? janes fleet ?

It seems closest to Red Storm Rising, with multiple submarine classes, and different technology levels in the different periods.

The gameplay also looks nearly identical at a superficial level at least. Prettier, with some limited 3D views ~ similar to Fleet Command.

#4461613 - 02/15/19 10:53 PM Re: What are you currently playing? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Blade_RJ  Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Hotshot

brasil
Thanks both ricnunes and Lieste for the replies, this has been something i've been eye dating for a while,just like i did with rainbow six before finally wetting my feet . there was even a promotion not too long ago on gog that i missed because of my isp going down, either way i wouldnt have time to play it now but i really loved 688 as a teen and this seemed the closest that i've seen in years, i just love sub hunting.

#4461615 - 02/15/19 11:08 PM Re: What are you currently playing? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
It's a good sim Blade I've played the pants off 688 and Red StormRising and doing the same with Cold Waters,,For sure a solid buy if you like the subject matter

Russ
Semper Fi
#4461616 - 02/15/19 11:30 PM Re: What are you currently playing? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
I'm playing Forza Horizons 4 on X Box One. I'm messing around a little with The Hunter: Call of the Wild, but only scratching the surface.

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#4461656 - 02/16/19 12:49 PM Re: What are you currently playing? [Re: Blade_RJ]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
there was even a promotion not too long ago on gog that i missed...

Funny that you mention that because I purchased Cold Waters on GoG during that exact promotion wink

either way i wouldnt have time to play it now but i really loved 688 as a teen and this seemed the closest that i've seen in years, i just love sub hunting.

Well that's actually why I'm currently playing Cold Waters - I also don't have much spare time for playing nowadays, however I'm currently playing Cold Waters from time to time (and as I said earlier, basically the only game I'm playing) because this is a game that you can learn and play a mission in a short time. Moreover if you are used to 688i then learning to play Cold Waters will be "peanuts".
Or resuming, as opposed to 688i (or Sub Command or Dangerous Waters) whose missions take a considerable time to finish in Cold Waters they don't, which again is IMO a huge plus (again due to my lack of spare time for gaming).

#4461679 - 02/16/19 04:54 PM Re: What are you currently playing? [Re: bones]  
Skycat Offline
Hotshot
Skycat  Offline
Hotshot

Pennsylvania or Montana
Originally Posted by bones

I have Shadow of the Tomb Raider but I'll play that once I finish Rise.

v6,
boNes

I just finished Rise of Tomb Raider this week. Shadow of the Tomb Raider is downloaded and ready to launch.

Remove before flight
#4461789 - 02/17/19 06:06 PM Re: What are you currently playing? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
BlueHeron Offline
BlueHeron  Offline

Ottawa, Canada
Finally finished Prey last week.

The Exorcist: Legion VR - short but a great ride in VR

Trying to stick mostly to DCS campaigns now since they take so much time.

#4461820 - 02/17/19 11:42 PM Re: What are you currently playing? [Re: BlueHeron]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by BlueHeron

What did you think? Did the very ending confuse you in any way? smile

#4461831 - 02/18/19 01:28 AM Re: What are you currently playing? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Stormtrooper Offline
Lifer
Stormtrooper  Offline
Lifer

Pretty much just American Truck Simulator and once a month maybe some DayZ. Have all the newest DLC for ATS so i'm having fun with that.

Gave up on FSX after it crashed and lost all my DLC for that without spending ages looking it all up. Don't have time for it.

#4461832 - 02/18/19 01:33 AM Re: What are you currently playing? [Re: F4UDash4]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Some occasional Subwar 2050.

My own experience (and something that's been on my mind a lot lately), although my excessive time is spent in books and trying to *make* a game vs. playing them...

I've asked for lots of leniency, especially when it's late and I'm having problems. Or the rare case that I'm super-excited because I've figured something out. You can't always just shut it off at say...exactly 10PM each night, it'll just keep you awake and that's no good to anyone. It helps that the dogs now sleep in the living room as they could get restless until the entire 'pack' was settled into the bedroom for the night. I swear, even behind a closed door they could tell when I was late-night tip-toeing into the kitchen to cheat (usually for a handful of cashews or dates). Then I'd get fussed at for disrupting her sleep, but mostly for the cheating. smile

But now she's totally cool with me taking whatever time I need hacking away in my man cave, knowing I do my best to spend time with her and also to (and this is very important) get the proper amount of sleep. As long as I take a one hour break each evening for coop exercise (man cave becomes personal gym/yoga studio or we drive to the track) and that I shut it down every Friday afternoon and clean up with a shave, nice clothes, best cologne, etc. Friday date night is very nostalgic, going all the way back to high school/early college. No matter how much studying or whatever there was to do, after work (leaving ~11PM from local competing grocery stores) we'd spend the rest of the evening together, usually going to LSU Godfather's Pizza and/or the midnight showing of Rocky Horror. And now we're back to the old routine, sometimes even driving out to LSU (a bit further now), except there's no longer a Godfather's Pizza. frown

That's how *I* manage it anyway. smile

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4461844 - 02/18/19 03:25 AM Re: What are you currently playing? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
BlueHeron Offline
BlueHeron  Offline

Ottawa, Canada
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by BlueHeron

What did you think? Did the very ending confuse you in any way? smile

Yeah, a lot of that game confused me. wink I enjoyed for a while, but it took far longer than I expected. Just don't get the same satisfaction from mouse-&-keyboard games anymore since VR came to flight sims.

#4461862 - 02/18/19 02:12 PM Re: What are you currently playing? [Re: F4UDash4]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth

Well, I have ONE wife, but she's pretty cool about it. She knows how much I love to fly both IRL and in sim, and when I'm not in the RL cockpit, the sim is the best way for me to practice.

It also helped that when our son was born, and I was pulling the overnight duty to feed him/change diapers through the night. I'd pass the time between changing flying those sims or playing those games.

Joanna and I spend the majority of our time together so it's not an issue with the gaming really. Our routine is to hit our club for dancing every weekend until close at 4 or 5 am, but after the demise of our club and the birth of our son that isn't as frequent anymore. So, hey, this is the time I used to be up in the middle of the night at the club--I'm on the sim instead. Same nocturnal habits, different setting, haha.

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.