Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4458966 - 01/27/19 09:41 PM Metro Exodus  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
Has anyone seen the recently revealed system requirements? I was kind of taken aback when I saw them! This the first time in a long time that, apart from "recommended" graphics card, I feel intimidated and ill equipped for a game. eek I know system requirements often have a lot of leeway and are sometimes not even really indicative of what is really needed but man these specs seem kind of steep. Also, I don't understand that a GeForce GTX670 AND a GeForce GTX 1050 are listed together under "Minimum" requirements. I don't get this. Why is there a lower end and higher end card listed at the same time under minimum? Are they just trying to cover all the bases and implying that you can technically get away with a lower end card be we really recommend a high end card for "Minimum Requirements". I have to say that kind of baffles me but I get the feeling that all this is to say that this game is going to be intensive.

I was hoping Exodus would be released with an engine that was optimized like the "Redux" versions of the original games. I remember that, and to this day even on newer hardware than back then, that Metro 2033 runs really crappy. However Last Light ran much better and even better than that, the revamped Metro 2033 Redux runs butter smooth at max settings minus expensive AA.

So I guess this is not the same engine or iteration but something vastly different? Sounds like it may be a game I have to wait and see other's experience and even then, may not get right away. Looks like a cool game though. I love the originals and these folks make a good all around game. Having Metro partly open world sounds really great to me but I may have to hold off.

On a side not I tried the demo of the new Resident Evil 2 Remake and from what I can tell, that new engine of theirs is really slick, looks really good and seems to be optimized very well.

I'm not sure though that my GTX 970 will handle Exodus though giving the specs they just released.

Last edited by Coot; 01/27/19 09:42 PM.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4458967 - 01/27/19 09:48 PM Re: Metro Exodus [Re: Coot]  
Lieste Online sigh
Lieste  Online Sigh

A 6xx series card is older and does some things more inefficiently than modern 10xx cards.
However the x70 sub type is the moderately high end card, while the x50 subtype is a low end card. (At least in some SKUs based on the number of components failed QC and disabled).

Combined the performance is often similar 670~1050 sounds like a reasonable parallel showing performance from similar 'levels' of technology from older and modern lines.

A 970 should be better than the minimum by a fair bit.

What was the 'recommended' card(s)?

#4458982 - 01/28/19 02:32 AM Re: Metro Exodus [Re: Coot]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

I didn't realize they were equivalent cards. I guess I don't know enough about video card nomenclature as I thought a 670 was a low end and a 1050 a more modern high end card and thus confused why they were listed together under "minimum" requirements. I seem to fall between min and max requirements on a variety of fronts. Just gives me the feeling this will be a performance intensive game.

I've got:

Windows 7 64bit
core i7 4790K 4@4GHz
16GB Ram
GTX 970 4GB

Attached Files Capture.JPG

#4458993 - 01/28/19 09:13 AM Re: Metro Exodus [Re: Coot]  
Lieste Online sigh
Lieste  Online Sigh

You are comfortably above minimum spec everywhere (assuming that it is a desktop, and the GTX 970 is exactly that and not the (half GPU) GTX970M you find in laptops). (Though there are some advantages to 10xx series cards, the 9xx series are not too far behind, and again, the x70 sub type is 'high-ish' end, and the x50 sub type is only middling. In most benchmarks the 970 seems to be around the level of the 1060).

You exceed recommended in CPU (marginally) and RAM (significantly), so should see ample performance to be usable, even if you need to have slightly less than the highest resolution and graphical options. (The gen 4, 7 series, 90 model CPU is the top end consumer chip from that generation, and is about 20% faster than my gen 3, 7 series, 70 model CPU, which is still a competent chip). I might be very mildly concerned that the on-chip features of my cpu don't include something used in a very cutting edge application, reducing performance or being incompatible, but you are in the top end of the correct generation.

#4459025 - 01/28/19 03:29 PM Re: Metro Exodus [Re: Coot]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I'm looking forward to playing this. I enjoyed the first two Metro games quite a lot. They are essentially the spiritual successors to the Stalker series.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4459046 - 01/28/19 06:55 PM Re: Metro Exodus [Re: Coot]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Same here PM. Exodus looks like a great balance between both. The backpack and weapon modding on the fly looks really cool and useful too. Still working my way through Metro Last Light. I still have Stalker SoC installed but I've never gotten too far in it.

#4459047 - 01/28/19 06:58 PM Re: Metro Exodus [Re: Coot]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Coot
Same here PM. Exodus looks like a great balance between both. The backpack and weapon modding on the fly looks really cool and useful too. Still working my way through Metro Last Light. I still have Stalker SoC installed but I've never gotten too far in it.

I'd pay good money for a re-release of the original Stalker with current day DX 12 graphics.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4459052 - 01/28/19 07:47 PM Re: Metro Exodus [Re: Coot]  
Flogger23m Online smile
Flogger23m  Online Smile

US
I'm really looking forward to it, but very worried about the transition to larger maps. I hope it doesn't become another copy/paste scavenger game like most open world games. But the developers seem to indicate it will be more along the lines of Deus Ex (but larger outdoors) with hub sections so that gives me some hope.

This is easily the 2nd most anticipated game coming this year for me, right behind Ace Combat 7.

#4459066 - 01/28/19 10:05 PM Re: Metro Exodus [Re: Coot]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil
HOLD THE PRESSES !

this is just in. the game will no longer be available on steam and will exclusively be sold on epic store, as of today no purchases are allowed. Those who preordered the game on steam will be able to download and update the game via steam normaly (what they say, who knows if there will be delays on patch).

Acording to the company twiter the game will return to steam on FEB 2020......that is right folks, the limited exclusivity #%&*$# transitioned to PCs....thanks a lot consoles.

#4459071 - 01/28/19 10:36 PM Re: Metro Exodus [Re: Coot]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Reason enough to not support Epic.

#4459076 - 01/28/19 11:08 PM Re: Metro Exodus [Re: Coot]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
In that case, no thanks.

#4459109 - 01/29/19 03:31 AM Re: Metro Exodus [Re: Coot]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Wow that stinks to high heaven. What a crumby move. I was highly likely going to wait anyhow but this clinches it for me. I like for there to be competition but not companies greedily securing exclusivity rights when it comes to PC delivery platforms. I'm okay with only being able to play a select few games such as Metal Gear Solid through Sony via a Playstation but I don't like seeing this kind of thing happening more and more on PC. That's just crap. They did something similar with Rise of the Tomb Raider. Flat out ignored PC fans who are the ones supported the Tomb Raider series and it went straight to Xbox one for just under a year I think. Then they finally released the PC version. Then they did something similar with Remedy's Quantum Break. You could only get it on PC through Microsoft's Store and then some time later it finally came to Steam. I hate this crap. I want there to be competition but I also don't want a dozen game launcher/store front softwares on my PC. I hope GOG.com maintains its methodology. As long as they don't change a customer can buy Cyberpunk from them when it releases without having to have an account or Galaxy. They can just buy it and download it separately and be done with it.

#4459155 - 01/29/19 01:35 PM Re: Metro Exodus [Re: Coot]  
Spidey Offline
Hotshot
Spidey  Offline
Hotshot

Jersey Yo
Eh I will play on 1X on my couch and not worry about PC. Game looks solid

"No power in the 'verse can stop me!!!"
#4459170 - 01/29/19 04:12 PM Re: Metro Exodus [Re: Coot]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
So this is the first Metro that is open world? I vaguely recall the first one being very linear--I have it, just never bothered playing through as S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is a masterpiece, but is sorta open world.

#4459171 - 01/29/19 04:17 PM Re: Metro Exodus [Re: Coot]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Yes, the first one was originally planned as Open World but they had to cut scope.

#4459172 - 01/29/19 04:25 PM Re: Metro Exodus [Re: Coot]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
The two Metro games do indeed play very much like standard first person shooters but what drew me in was the setting, story and the very uniquely Russian perspective.

#4459472 - 01/31/19 08:34 PM Re: Metro Exodus [Re: Coot]  
Vaderini Offline
Vaderini  Offline

It is rare for a FPS these days to have a great atmosphere and story, and this game was on my steam wishlist for a long time. I'll probably torrent it before I decide on buying though. With the Epic Store lacking the content that well and proven stores like Steam and GOG have and not enough experiences on the internet with refunding through Epic known, i'm not going to spend 60 bucks to try out if my 1050 Mobile reaches a minimum 720p 30fps.

The exclusive thing really sucks. I'm all in favor of devs earning more money, but if that money comes from cutting basic content like cloud saving, mod support, achievements and a review system, whilst not implementing anything new that is attractive, the consumer has no reason to swap environments.

By the way, i'm fully basing my opinion on this (excellent) article, so perhaps i'm not seeing the full picture:
https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Dav...Current_State_is_Not_Good_for_Anyone.php

Last edited by Vaderini; 01/31/19 08:35 PM.
#4459582 - 02/01/19 10:09 PM Re: Metro Exodus [Re: Vaderini]  
Flogger23m Online smile
Flogger23m  Online Smile

US
Originally Posted by Blade_RJ
..that is right folks, the limited exclusivity #%&*$# transitioned to PCs....thanks a lot consoles.

This has been a thing for well over a decade. Remember when Half Life 2 forced us to exclusively use Steam? Or BF3 with Origin? Or any Ubisoft game over the past 8 or so years required Uplay? Nothing new here.

Originally Posted by Vaderini
It is rare for a FPS these days to have a great atmosphere and story, and this game was on my steam wishlist for a long time. I'll probably torrent it before I decide on buying though. With the Epic Store lacking the content that well and proven stores like Steam and GOG have and not enough experiences on the internet with refunding through Epic known, i'm not going to spend 60 bucks to try out if my 1050 Mobile reaches a minimum 720p 30fps.

The exclusive thing really sucks. I'm all in favor of devs earning more money, but if that money comes from cutting basic content like cloud saving, mod support, achievements and a review system, whilst not implementing anything new that is attractive, the consumer has no reason to swap environments.

By the way, i'm fully basing my opinion on this (excellent) article, so perhaps i'm not seeing the full picture:
https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Dav...Current_State_is_Not_Good_for_Anyone.php

The refund policy mirrors Valves (which they only implemented after EA/Origin beat them to it). Most of your other points are irrelevant. There was no mod support in the first place. No achievements is a plus. You can't turn that off in Steam, I've been waiting for a fix for about a decade if not longer now. Review system is broken in its current form. Just check the reviews and you'll see what I mean.

Whether that is good or not for customers is irrelevant sadly. Valve, EA, Ubisoft & Blizzard have set the standard for requiring a launcher/client. Customers go where the software is and Valve is loosing AAA games at a high rate.

#4459585 - 02/01/19 10:42 PM Re: Metro Exodus [Re: Flogger23m]  
Vaderini Offline
Vaderini  Offline

Originally Posted by Flogger23m
There was no mod support in the first place.

I'm talking about the Epic Store in general

No achievements is a plus.

And for most gamers, it isn't. There is a large crowd of gamers wanting achievements. Why do you think everybody and their grandmothers' game include achievements?

You can't turn that off in Steam I've been waiting for a fix for about a decade if not longer now.

Why remove something that is very succesful and desired? It's akin to complaining that FPS games are 3D instead of 2D.

Review system is broken in its current form. Just check the reviews and you'll see what I mean.

And I always get plenty of useful reviews out of them, if you're too lazy to scroll further than the overall score, that's on you.

Whether that is good or not for customers is irrelevant sadly.

Like you've said in your opening sentence, Valve implemented their refund policy after Origin beat them to it. So have a lot of other features of Steam been implemented after another company showed that that feature was something that attracted customers.

Valve is loosing AAA games at a high rate.

Who have they lost? So far i'm only seeing Metro and The Division 2 as AAA exclusives on Epic Store, and that isn't going to cut it. Electronic Arts pulling all their games away from Steam was a bigger blow. Also, the Origin store isn't doing so well if you look at the amount of 3rd party content there.

Last edited by Vaderini; 02/01/19 10:43 PM.
#4459589 - 02/01/19 11:01 PM Re: Metro Exodus [Re: Coot]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil
im a patient gamer this just means i will have to wait longer for a steam sale........but by then i will have a new gen of processor and nvidia problably will have the rtx 2.0 cards on the market so i can run this ultra 4k

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.