Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4458594 - 01/25/19 01:18 PM I’ve had an eventful week at the airfield  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
I had posted this elsewhere on the forum, but it has been suggested that I share in Community Hall.

——————————

I’ll keep this short.

Life is full of these damned shame events.

We just lost a pilot at my field. Helicopter pilot. Sketchy details around it. Helo had battery power problem. They hooked up an APU (auxillery power unit) and got it running. The pilot brought the blades up past idle speed and got out of the helo to unplug the APU. Left the unrated passenger (a fixed wing flight instructor friend, not my close friend that I speak of) inside. The helo got unstable and did a bit of a wobble causing the blades to flex and decapitate Sal , the pilot. I saw Sal a few times a month at lunch. They don’t know why it happened. Whether his getting out reduced enough weight that the hello became near lift weight or whether the unrated rightseater did something. Mistake. Pilot never gets out of running aircraft unless another rated pilot has taken control. Even then Pilot in Command should have rightseater get out. Maybe he felt the other didn’t know how the APU hookup worked. Should have gone to idle neutral. Maybe was thinking that reducing power might have reduced the electrical charging. It was ugly. Pilot decapitated and head thrown into hangar. A damned shame event.

My aircraft had a minor issue. The tach started jumping about 75 RPM. Wasn’t steady as usual. My mechanic buddy and I pulled the cable and found the key that engaged the gearteeth was worn after 50 years of flying. Ordered new cable. So I flew with a friend on a small group flight for lunch at another field. We were in the air about 5 minutes when the engine got rough and dropped about 350 RPM. Did a quick switch of the magnetos with no difference. Checked fuel selection. Tried carb heat with no difference. We decided to return to field and called tower. I did radio work while he flew the plane. Kept announcing to each other forced landing procedures and checklist and picking locations if we couldn’t make the field. Made it back and did straight approach to runway with a not fancy landing. When our mechanic buddy looked at he found an exhaust valve spring broken and wound up pulling the cylinder and piston. Much worse than we initially though. Spring broke because exhaust valve stuck open. That was the cause of the broken spring. Burned the valve which came apart and was beaten around in cylinder and chewed up the piston face before the now small pieces went out the exhaust port. Chances were as good as not that it could have seized the engine. We were on the lucky side of it didn’t.

My new tach cable came in and we installed today. Good test flight of it.

New cylinder, piston, valves, pushrods, springs, keepers, plugs, etc done on buddies plane. Check of oil filter and drained oil found nothing bad. Borescope of the crank and other cylinders found nothing bad. So he test flew it with good results.

So I have had an eventful week at the airfield.

—————

Today we are flying three planes down to Sebring to attend the Light Sport Symposium.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4458597 - 01/25/19 01:38 PM Re: I’ve had an eventful week at the airfield [Re: oldgrognard]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
What a horrible accident. It's not a cliche to say that safety always comes first.

And of course I'm glad you are ok OG. smile

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 01/25/19 01:40 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4458606 - 01/25/19 02:19 PM Re: I’ve had an eventful week at the airfield [Re: oldgrognard]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
It’s always a shame when someone is injured or loses their life over trying to save a little time. Like you said, send the unrated guy out to unhook. Call a ramp rat to do it if there’s an FBO.

Last edited by NH2112; 01/25/19 05:18 PM.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4458607 - 01/25/19 02:24 PM Re: I’ve had an eventful week at the airfield [Re: oldgrognard]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Crap, that sounds like a bad week. Sorry to hear OG, but glad you made that flight back safely.

#4458609 - 01/25/19 02:32 PM Re: I’ve had an eventful week at the airfield [Re: oldgrognard]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Man...

Very sorry about your friend.

Glad you have your bird sorted. Should be a nice day for a hop to Sebring, nice thick air.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4458618 - 01/25/19 03:57 PM Re: I’ve had an eventful week at the airfield [Re: oldgrognard]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
Wow that sucks! Sorry you had to see that.

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#4458626 - 01/25/19 04:53 PM Re: I’ve had an eventful week at the airfield [Re: oldgrognard]  
Cold_Gambler Offline
Cold_Gambler  Offline

That's horrible.

I'm glad Lady Luck was (sort of) with you.

looks very modernishy-phoney-windows eighty-tabletty like

Asus P8P67 Pro Rev. 3.0 // i5 2500k @4.3 GHz with Noctua NH-D14 // nvidia gtx 780 // 8 GB DDR3 1600 //Win7 home 64 bit //450 GB VelociRaptor //Recon3D Champion
#4458627 - 01/25/19 04:54 PM Re: I’ve had an eventful week at the airfield [Re: oldgrognard]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
Sorry about your friend and glad that you are OK.

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#4458630 - 01/25/19 05:20 PM Re: I’ve had an eventful week at the airfield [Re: oldgrognard]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Dang. Did you actually see the helicopter accident?

As for your issue, small and fairly inexpensive ones are good. Stuck valve is bad! Glad that was not on your plane. How many hours does your engine have since overhaul?

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#4458641 - 01/25/19 06:08 PM Re: I’ve had an eventful week at the airfield [Re: oldgrognard]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
I've seen two decapitations in the same accident and that was two too many, I'm sorry about your friend. One hopes that he didn't know what happened.

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
AMD FX6300 Vishera 3.5 Ghz
ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 Overclocked 4 GB DDR5
16Gb Patriot Viper 3 RAM DDR3 1866Mhz
Onikuma Gaming Headset (has annoying blue lights I don't use)
#4458646 - 01/25/19 06:49 PM Re: I’ve had an eventful week at the airfield [Re: oldgrognard]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Sorry for your loss OG.

#4458650 - 01/25/19 07:10 PM Re: I’ve had an eventful week at the airfield [Re: oldgrognard]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Yikes, Sorry to hear about your friend OG, and glad to hear that you made it home safely.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4458663 - 01/25/19 08:02 PM Re: I’ve had an eventful week at the airfield [Re: oldgrognard]  
coasty Offline
coasty  Offline

Asheville, NC, USA
OG that is terrible, we too often get complacent. I have rarely gotten off my mower with the blades engaged, and as I get unsteady lately I adhere to that precaution even more.

Have you seen the Arrow? WWW
#4458708 - 01/26/19 01:16 AM Re: I’ve had an eventful week at the airfield [Re: oldgrognard]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
I didn’t see the helicopter accident. Just the ugly aftermath.

semmern, I have 614 SMOH. So I’ve still got a lot of flying hours on it. Fortunately when I bought it it had just come out of a major refurbishment of avionics, autopilot, and recent overhaul. All top notch work. She’s a great plane.

Flight to Sebring was great. In pattern you could see cars doing club racing on the Sebring track. Much of the Sebring racetrack uses the old abandoned runway. Interesting seeing a large number of the Light Sport aircraft. Light Sport is an attempt to get more people flying. Lesser license requirements. Problem is they are newly constructed aircraft so the prices are up around $150,000 which is twice or more than the price of a nice used Cessna 172 or Piper. The small production numbers will mean that used Light Sports will slow coming to the used market. Some of them are pretty appealing; nice looking, good performance, good fuel burn, and up to date avionics. I wish them good fortune.

Tomorrow the wife and I are flying to Palatka J28 for a vintage aircraft and car show. A couple friends are planning on going so we’ll have three planes.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4458713 - 01/26/19 01:33 AM Re: I’ve had an eventful week at the airfield [Re: oldgrognard]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Originally Posted by oldgrognard
I have 614 SMOH. So I’ve still got a lot of flying hours on it. Fortunately when I bought it it had just come out of a major refurbishment of avionics, autopilot, and recent overhaul. All top notch work. She’s a great plane.

Having flown fairly recently in OG's Cardinal, I can tell you the aircraft is in Top Notch condition. If you didn't know that it's an older aircraft you would not believe it's age.

Originally Posted by oldgrognard

Tomorrow the wife and I are flying to Palatka

Wave when you fly by. wave2

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4458806 - 01/26/19 09:02 PM Re: I’ve had an eventful week at the airfield [Re: oldgrognard]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Good flight today. Fun event.

On the way flew over the private airfield where John Travolta lives. Jumbolair.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

His house is the one in the center with the more black asphalt. Neither of his jets were there.

[Linked Image]

This was the event.

[Linked Image]

Avenger was there.

[Linked Image]

You don’t realize what a huge plane it is until you stand by it. I was surprised that for such a big heavy airplane landing on a carrier that its landing gear strut had such short absorption travel.

[Linked Image]

They had a historic WW2 US paratroop re-enactment group. C47 and correct uniforms.

[Linked Image]

I have video but no pictures of the jump. Tactical with static lines.

But I have pictures taken by my wife as we were taxiing out for departure and the C47 was landing.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It was a good day. Nice fligh there and back. Enough air traffic to worry the wife but nowhere like I get flying into Sun n Fun. Plenty of vintage and warbirds. Some OK cars.

It’s not all death and near crashes.

#4458834 - 01/26/19 11:26 PM Re: I’ve had an eventful week at the airfield [Re: oldgrognard]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Condolences for the loss of a friend.

[Callously switching gears]

Good to hear you plane was sorted out and back up in the air!

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4458837 - 01/26/19 11:38 PM Re: I’ve had an eventful week at the airfield [Re: oldgrognard]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Bit chilly up in Birmingham lately old chap? winkngrin

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4458864 - 01/27/19 03:50 AM Re: I’ve had an eventful week at the airfield [Re: oldgrognard]  
Coot Online content
Pilgrim
Coot  Online Content
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
Thanks for sharing all this OG. It blessed me scrolling through and seeing Tico Belle. I love that plane. I love the Tico Airshow where she headlines. Back around 2003-4 I needed some volunteer work hours for school and got to spend a couple of days volunteering there at Tico at the Valiant Air Command. I felt like a fish out of water but was immediately embraced by a really cool, elder gentleman who took it upon himself to include me into the fold of what they are about over there and he got me busy with some tasks. A really great guy and I only saw him those two days. I believe it was on the second day that I got teamed up with an elderly gentleman who was a retired policeman from up north volunteering and his name was James Bond. He had me help him install some windows onto the C-47 Tico Belle. Parked next to the Tico Belle was a DC-3 they were using for parts. The Tico Belle is one of those aircraft with a significant history having been through D-Day and the Berlin Airlift among other things. I felt privileged getting to touch and sit inside of history like that. My two days of basic and simple tasks amounts to nothing compared to what those professionals who volunteer their life's blood do at the VAC but those two days felt so good. There are some really special people who operate these aircraft museums and restorations and make it happen.

Since Tico Belle was there I'm assuming that Avenger is theirs too. Maybe not though I'm not sure. Around the time of my minuscule volunteer work there they had only recently gotten a hold of an Avenger. Over the years they have been restoring it and its only recently become airworthy I believe. I have pictures from years ago where it was setup on static somewhat fixed up cosmetically and with paint with myself, sister and her husband sitting in it. I love those Grumman cats and you're not kidding OG. The Avenger and even things like the F-8 Bearcat are huge! The Avenger is kind of special to me also because my grandfather was assigned to them Stateside at the end of the war as a radioman and gunner. If you ever get a chance OG the Tico Airshow is a really special one. Its amazing what they do every year.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4458876 - 01/27/19 06:42 AM Re: I’ve had an eventful week at the airfield [Re: oldgrognard]  
cichlidfan Offline
cichlidfan  Offline

Woodbridge, VA, USA
Those are some great pics but I am very sad to hear that you lost a friend to such a tragic accident.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.