Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4458230 - 01/22/19 01:16 AM OT - Calling all enthusiasts  
AceMedic88 Offline
AceMedic88  Offline

Niagara Falls, NY
I recently moved and now have something I've always wanted - my own office/room to do as I wish 110%. I have decided that I am going to transform it into a mess (RFC themed). Since I am researching for all the cool memorabilia, printing posters, and the like, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas I could throw into the mix. If anyone has items in their own collection they want to share for ideas that would be great. I feel like a kid in a candy store - so much to choose from, so little space.

Cheers

I got fired as the door man at a sperm bank.
Apparently it's in poor taste to tell leaving customers "Thanks for coming."

Former U.S. Army Medic - SGT.
#4458233 - 01/22/19 01:52 AM Re: OT - Calling all enthusiasts [Re: AceMedic88]  
ARUP Offline
ARUP  Offline

Kentucky
It would be relatively simple to make some 'Trophy Rudders' from 'scratch'. Get some 1/2" blue foam and cut to shape, add some foam ribs (use Gorilla foaming glue), use yellow wood glue to put the fabric (dress lining material) onto the rudder outlines. Shrink the fabric, if needed, by 'hovering' a steam iron over the fabric. Seal the fabric by painting thinned yellow glue onto it then use spray bombs to paint. Mask numbers, etc. and paint onto it. Take old newspaper, colored chalks, pencil graphite, etc. and rub all over the finished item to dirty it up then clear coat with a semi-gloss clear. Weighs nothing and can hang anywhere!

For a more robust item substitute more robust materials like 3/8" or 5mm cabinet grade ply for the outlines

#4458234 - 01/22/19 02:05 AM Re: OT - Calling all enthusiasts [Re: AceMedic88]  
AceMedic88 Offline
AceMedic88  Offline

Niagara Falls, NY
ARUP, that's a terrific idea that I didn't even think of. Thank you for that!

#4458258 - 01/22/19 12:29 PM Re: OT - Calling all enthusiasts [Re: AceMedic88]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S. of ...
That's a brilliant idea! Also great advice ARUP. Unfortunately I live in subsidized housing, so I can't do anything like that. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures.

Some people are born stupid. I've had to work hard my whole life to get this way. I'm proud of the job I've done
#4458307 - 01/22/19 09:44 PM Re: OT - Calling all enthusiasts [Re: AceMedic88]  
CodyCoyote Offline
CodyCoyote  Offline

That's a great idea ARUP. Have you done that? Do you have any photos of one's you've made?

#4458566 - 01/25/19 02:10 AM Re: OT - Calling all enthusiasts [Re: AceMedic88]  
ARUP Offline
ARUP  Offline

Kentucky
I've 'threatened' to do this but using materials more suited to original items. I have steel tubing I could bend around a plywood form. I don't know how to weld but can solder pretty good. JBWeld works wonders, too, to attach hinges, ribs and stays! I'd use nitrate and butyrate dopes to attach the fabric and for the finish. I build really large vintage sailplanes for RC and use some full scale techniques in some of the construction. I build a powered RC model every now and then but find it is more fun flying a vintage sailplane! See them on www.scalesoaring.com in the 'Scale Sailplanes' build threads.

The recommendations made above will work. You can't use solvent based adhesives on blue foam for the foam will melt. That's why you want to use Elmer's wood glue or similar. Be sure to use polyester dress lining material. Non-certified Ceconite or Koverall by Sigmfg.com is very close to the same thing, a little better, maybe, but also more pricey. It's too bad the old time TV antennas aren't around because the aluminum tubing used on those would be perfect because it is very ductile and easy to jamb one piece into another to make longer lengths.

You can make a Gnome or other rotary from cardboard, card stock and cardboard tubes, bits of wire and scrap wood, too! Paint it silver them glob on some black and then glob on some varnish to look like dried castor. I have that one on my mind, too. I've been so busy building sailplanes I haven't had time to really build some fun things like this. I am almost finished with a 1/6 Sopwith 'Pup'!

Last edited by ARUP; 01/25/19 02:11 AM.
#4458569 - 01/25/19 02:32 AM Re: OT - Calling all enthusiasts [Re: AceMedic88]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

ARUP, it's timely that you should mention the rotary. I'm currently brainstorming a 1/2 scale version using Slinkys, PVC pipe, an aluminum pan, and various nuts, bolts, and brass bits and pieces. If it works out it should look fairly similar to the light fixture Manfred had in his office, except I'll be using the vintage Edison-style bulbs rather than the globe bulbs.

Attached Files richthofen office 001.jpg
#4458592 - 01/25/19 12:36 PM Re: OT - Calling all enthusiasts [Re: AceMedic88]  
AceMedic88 Offline
AceMedic88  Offline

Niagara Falls, NY
I never even thought of rotaries either. These are great ideas. I need to get researching for dimensions and such.

#4458707 - 01/26/19 01:09 AM Re: OT - Calling all enthusiasts [Re: AceMedic88]  
ARUP Offline
ARUP  Offline

Kentucky
Just like as shown in RAF_Louvert's post you can make 'trophy fabric patches', too! Go to the Dollar Store and buy a cheap set of bed sheets and stretch them over a card board box or similar then paint away! You could even get the serial off one of the Richthofen clan's steeds!

#4459261 - 01/30/19 02:37 AM Re: OT - Calling all enthusiasts [Re: AceMedic88]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Ace, this is a "fabric swath" off of a Spad of the Lafayette Escadrille that my wife did for me a few years back. Lots of ideas out there!

[Linked Image]

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4459262 - 01/30/19 02:41 AM Re: OT - Calling all enthusiasts [Re: AceMedic88]  
AceMedic88 Offline
AceMedic88  Offline

Niagara Falls, NY
Mfair, that is amazing. I remember you posting that when it was finished...totally forgot until now. I appreciate the ideas. I've decided to currently go with cloth "cut outs" and rudders. Keep the ideas coming if anyone thinks of anything else.

So far I have the bar stocked in the room, although I'm unsure how long that will stay that way,

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse