Hop To
Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15
#4455223 - 12/29/18 02:24 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S. of ...
14 December 1914

Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer
Filimor Hance writes: "0815: Straight from last patrol of one day to first patrol of the next. High winds aloft, lots of clouds, some rain here and there. Last night's barrage has ceased and the sector is fairly quiet. 1 hour 18 minutes."

Gonneham
Corrigan Aujla writes: "0907: Today they had me take off first, but only gave me a limited amount of time. 18 minutes."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Ternoise
Noel Kay writes: "1053: Heavy overcast, some rain. Massive artillery duel near Lens. 1 hour 20 minutes."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "Still grounded by the snow."

Some people are born stupid. I've had to work hard my whole life to get this way. I'm proud of the job I've done
#4455289 - 12/29/18 09:34 PM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

15 December 1916

Gonneham
Corrigan Aujla writes: "0940: Was allowed more time in the Morane today. Took it up to 3,000 metres. 38 minutes."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer
Filimor Hance writes: "0947: Good day for flying. Broken clouds. Not much happening. 1 hour 20 minutes."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Ternoise
Noel Kay writes: "1214: Sky is fairly clear Much artillery around Lens and Arras. 1 hour 14 minutes."

Pontfaverger
FFA 13 is still snowed in.

Some people are born stupid. I've had to work hard my whole life to get this way. I'm proud of the job I've done
#4455350 - 12/30/18 04:09 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

16 December 1914

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "1006: Gorgeous day! Hptm Streccius only allowed us to practice again. 41 minutes."

Gonneham
Corrigan Aujla writes: "1033: More time in the Morane. Flew up to St. Omer and back. 53 minutes. Capt Williamson is back. If he's feeling fit enough we fly again tomorrow. We lost one of our new Moranes today. Sgt Bodley had a mishap. He is fortunately unharmed, but the machine is only good for engine parts.

Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer
Filimor Hance writes: "1122: Beautiful day. Good patrol, though fairly quiet. 1 hour 15 minutes."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Ternoise
Noel Kay writes: "1344: Beautiful day. The artillerists think so too. Lots of fighting. 1 hour 17 minutes."

#4455422 - 12/30/18 08:42 PM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

17 December 1914

Once again the entire region is rainy and snowy, and no one is flying. There is not much ground activity either.

#4455928 - 01/03/19 03:01 PM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

18 December 1914

Saint-Pol-Sur-Ternoise
Noel Kay writes: "0815: High clouds. No rain. Not much fighting. Routine patrol. 1 hour 8 minutes."

Northolt, Britain
Dugan Vystavel is the new pilot I've created to replace the lost Ries Meismer. He hails from a tiny village in New Zealand called Okato. He came to Britain for advanced studies in science and mathematics in November 1913, and due to his aptitude in those fields he was taken into the army as a 2nd Lieutenant. He immediately started learning to fly on his own, and now has many hours in Bleriots and Boxkites. He has spent his first few months in the army studying the principles of photography. Now he has been taken into flight school. Because of his previous experience and new field of study he is earmarked to be rushed through training on the BE.2 and thence to No 4 Squadron at Saint-Omer where pioneering work is being done in the field of aerial photography.
Dugan Vystavel's first log entry: "0815: First solo flight. 15 minutes."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "1133: Good enough to fly again. Long practice flight getting ready for action again. 1 hour 49 minutes."

Gonneham
Corrigan Aujla writes: "1141: No sooner had Capt Williamson and I taken off for our first patrol in a week than the controls jammed. We made a stuttering circle of the field. I managed to put her down on the field, but the plane wouldn't level off. We snagged the left wing and then nosed over. Neither of us was harmed but yet another BE has been written off as a total wreck. 13 minutes.

Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer
Filimor Hance writes: "1251: Another clear day, with a few random clouds. Quiet again. 1 hour 17 minutes."

#4456122 - 01/05/19 01:00 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

19 December 1914

Northolt
Dugan Vystavel writes: "0845: Touch and goes plus a little fly around the area. 37 minutes."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Ternoise
Noel Kay writes: "0937: Hazy day. Ordinary patrol. Very quiet. 1 hour 16 minutes."

Gonneham
Corrigan Aujla writes: "1208: The machine we have today seems to be holding together alright. The patrol was quiet. 1 hour 16 minutes."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer
Filimor Hance writes: "1422; Late afternoon patrol. Returned home just before sunset. All quiet. 1 hour 20 minutes."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "Fog has moved in again."

#4456203 - 01/05/19 09:33 PM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

20 December 1914

Northern Europe has been het by a massive storm. It's raining everywhere - even in England.

#4456282 - 01/06/19 01:41 PM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

21 December 1914
The storm continues over Northern Europe.

Around London the weather has cleared somewhat, and training squadrons are flying again.
At Northolt Dugan Vystavel writes: "0936: Captain Johnson took us on a long flight around London, looking for landmarks and taking notes. It was my first extended flight since joining the Army. 2 hours 17 minutes."

#4456320 - 01/06/19 07:14 PM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

22 December 1914

The entirety of Norther Europe is either raining or fogged in again. There is no aerial activity.

#4456355 - 01/06/19 11:26 PM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

23 December 1914

Yet another day of rain, snow and fog across the front. This winter is becoming boring and depressing.

#4456380 - 01/07/19 04:54 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

24 December 1914

Flanders is still in the midst of a storm, but there is flight training in England and the Verdun area has received a brief reprieve.

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "0815: Hptm Streccius took advantage of the good weather to send us on real patrols for the first time in more than a month. Because of our experience there Hptm Straub and I were assigned a long range patrol down to Epernay and back. We encountered quite a bit of enemy flak but they weren't remotely accurate. 1 hour 43 minutes."

Northolt
Dugan Vystavel writes: "1210: Nice day, if a little hazy. Captain Johnson led us on another flight over London. Our last flight he had us write down landmarks. Today he had us circle over the landmarks as soon as we saw them. I wasn't the first on any of them. 1 hour 21 minutes.

#4456635 - 01/09/19 09:56 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

25 December 1914

Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer
Filimor Hance writes: "0911: Hazy Christmas day, but we can fly. Routine patrol. Absolutely silent along the front. 1 hour 18 minutes."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "Late yesterday afternoon, after all the flying was done, the officers threw a nice Christmas Eve party for the enlisted men. After it was over we enlisted all moved to one of the hangars and continued until late into the night. At that same time the officers held their own party, so everyone was very merry for Christmas Day. This day brought us very nice flying weather, so we all had a job to do despite theholiday. We didn't mind. With the weather we've been having any day like this one is welcome.
1012: Hptmn Straub and I were assigned to fly due west to a "hot" section west of Guignicourt. It wasn't so hot after all, as the artillery seemed to be taking a break and the infantry didn't seem inclined to move at all. We circled the area and came home again. 1 hour 26 minutes."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Ternoise
Noel Kay writes: "1107: Patrolling on Christmas Day. Very quiet, no activity at all. 1 hour 11 minutes."

Gonneham
Corrigan Aujla writes: "1338: Usual patrol. Everything is quiet. 1 hour 35 minutes."

Northolt
Dugan Vystavel writes: "1353: Captain Johnson gave me a map with certain points marked on it and instructions to follow them. I flew alone eastward to central London, then north to Baldock, southwest to Luton, west to Reading, southeast to Guilford, northwest to Woking and then back to Northolt. He knew I would not be landing until after dark, and I knew that I might crash and die on Christmas Day. I managed to get down safely. 2 hours 57 minutes."

#4456856 - 01/11/19 02:27 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

26 December 1914

Gonneham
Corrigan Aujla writes: "0815: Foggy day, but we flew anyway. 1 hour 20 minutes."

Northolt
Dugan Vystavel writes: "0906: Fairly nice day. Long flight directly across London to Southend, then back up to Chelmsford, over to Harlow, up to St. Albans then back to Northolt. 2 hours 17 minutes."

Roesbrugge
Filimor Hance writes: "1043: Took off from Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer for our new home at Roesbrugge. 43 minutes later we were there. It is a very nice field with several finely-ground gravel pathways to land on, all clearly marked out with a great building for us to live in, with rooms even for the mechanics."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Ternoise
Noel Kay writes: "1233: Grey hazy day. Normal patrol. Some activity, but not much. 1 hour 9 minutes."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "Gloomy fog, overcast, raining, not flying."

#4456936 - 01/11/19 07:47 PM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

27 December 1914

The rain has returned over norther Europe, especially at Pontfaverger where it is being driven by gale-force winds.

At Dover, on the English coast, Dugan Vystavel writes: "Last night Captain Johnson informed me that the squadrons were desperately in need of pilots, and due to my prior flying experience, totaling forty hours, my ten hours in the BE should be enough. I packed my bags and went to bed, and at 0800 this morning a car took me to the train station in London. The 1030 train to Dover saw me at the airfield there by noon. There I met three other new airmen in a similar situation. We will spend the night here and take the morning ferry to Calais, then a train to No 4 Squadron at Saint-Omer. I'll be starting the new year in a front-line combat squadron.

#4457020 - 01/12/19 05:24 PM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

28 December 1914

Gonneham
Corrigan Aujla writes: "0949: Another routine patrol. Some fighting along the way, but not much. 1 hour 17 minutes."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Ternoise
Noel Kay writes: "1356: Clear skies today. Just a few clouds. Routine patrol. 1 hour 8 minutes."

Roesbrugge
Filimor Hance writes: "1139: First patrol from our new field. A little further to the coast but a lot closer to home at the south end of the patrol. Fairly quiet along the front. 1 hour 8 minutes."

Saint-Omer
Dugan Vystavel writes: "After a night's sleep and a good breakfast we were driven to the docks. Caught the 1000 ferry across the Channel. Docked at Calais at 1053. Caught the train at 1207 to Saint-Omer. No 4 Sqdn now has four new pilots. We begin our orientation tomorrow morning at 0800."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "A driving gale with accompanying rain is moving through our part of the world. We are once again grounded.:"

#4457079 - 01/13/19 12:47 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

29 December 1914

And again the entire front is closed down due to rainstorms everywhere.

#4457104 - 01/13/19 11:25 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

30 December 1914

The wind and rain are still with us, but two pilots are having an interesting time of it.

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "1155: The storm has moved on – for the day. We made a reconaissance flight over Verdun, and then down the lines. 1 hour 46 minutes."

Saint Omer
Dugan Vystavel writes: "We were taken to a wooden hangar with a BE in the middle, and men working on various mountings to allow the plane to carry a camera. We were told that if we were interested we could become part of this new section, working on taking accurate photographs from the air. All four of us volunteered on the spot. This is something completely new and most interesting. We would report here at 0800 every day for study, except for days when we would also be flying regular patrols."

#4457304 - 01/14/19 08:51 PM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

31 December 1914

Saint-Pol-Sur-Ternoise
Noel Kay writes: "0815: Gloomy weather, but flyable. Only a little artillery along the way. 1 hour 9 minutes."

Roesbrugge
Filimor Hance writes: "0815: Gloomy, overcast, but flyable. Routine patrol. Everything is quiet. 1 hour 4 minutes."

Saint-Omer
Dugan Vystavel writes: "0821: Heavy overcast. We four "fledglings" were assigned to explore the area. Since we lack aircraft two of us were flying and two riding along. I was observer on this flight, which took us west to Boulogne-Sur-Mer then up the coast to Calais and Dunkirk, then back to Saint-Omer.
1317: After lunch it was my turn to fly. Our directions had us heading south to Bruges, then to Hesdin. From there we ran north to Boulogne then east back to Saint-Omer. In all it was in interesting and informative couple of flights, and helped with our navigation skills. 1 hour 41 minutes for my flight. "Riding along" doesn't count."

Gonneham
Corrigan Aujla writes: "1120: Dark, overcast, gloomy day. Not much fighting going on. 1 hour 15 minutes."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "The rain is back. No flying today."

#4457495 - 01/16/19 03:52 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

1 January 1915

Saint-Pol-Sur-Ternoise
Noel Kay writes: "0815: Gloomy again, heavily overcast. Hardly any fighting. 1 hour 12 minutes."

Gonneham
Corrigan Aujla writes: "0816: Some sun, mostly clouds. Silent along the front. 1 hour 21 minutes."

Roesbrugge
Filimor Hance writes: "0933: Fairly clear up over the coast. Quiet patrol, little fighting. 1 hour 6 minutes."

Saint-Omer
Dugan Vystavel writes: "1031: The longest flight I've ever taken. Major Reynolds, the squadron commander, laid out a course for me and came along for the ride. We flew from Saint-Omer west to Boulogne-Sur-Mer, then northeast to Gravelines. From there we went south to Hesdin, then Abbeville. Turning east we flew to Amiens, then north to Doullens and finally home. Major Reynolds then told me I was qualified to start flying patrols. 3 hours 35 minutes.

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "We are still rained out.."

#4457595 - 01/17/19 12:28 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

2 January 1915

Saint-Pol-Sur-Ternoise
Noel Kay writes: "0943: Fairly clear. Routine patrol. Almost no fighting. 1 hour 12 minutes."

Gonneham
Corrigan Aujla writes: "0952: They had us fly the Morane today. I have to be careful. We've already lost one, and this is the only one we have left. 1 hour 22 minutes."

Roesbrugge
Filimor Hance writes: "1053: Routine patrol. Quite windy aloft. Massive artillery exchange near Niewpoort. 1 hour 8 minutes."

Saint-Omer
Dugan Vystavel writes: "1415: Captain Mapplebeck and Lt Theobald took me on my first patrol of the lines. It's quite a way east from here. My assigned observer is Capt Landon Richard – or rather I should say I'm his assigned Chauffer. 1 hour 27 minutes."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "The rain has stopped, but it's too windy to take off or land."

Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM