Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#4456124 - 01/05/19 01:28 AM What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!?  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

And Away We Go!:

[Linked Image]

Welcome to the Wings Over The Reich Zwei Guys Challenge!

See, back in the day, we used to have these things called Rick Rawlings Challenges…according to some people, they put hair on your chest. That is completely unproven, but many people are saying…
Anyway, I have been singing that #%&*$# song in my head for two months now, and I figured that if I had the song, might as well have the challenge to go with it…

Here's a look at our previous enterprises if you missed them or just want to know what they were about…
Eindecker Challenge Yes, this was a thing...
Revenge of Der Flieger
Bloody April
SPAD Challenge
Circus Challenge Where we all learned to skin...
Brisfit Challenge
Final Challenge *cough*
Anniversary Challenge
Albatros Dos
Sopwith Challenge
Lafeyette Escadrille Challenge

For this challenge, you will be flying for Germany as a (quite frankfurterly!) underappreciated member of JG 54’s schwarm zwei.

In order to participate in this challenge you must:
1. Declare your interest and intent in this thread on or before Wednesday, January 30, 2019.
2. Create a pilot using the manual squad creation option with a start date of August 15, 1940, flying for Germany in JG 54 as a flieger .
3. Commit to flying 3-6 missions per week with this pilot, but no more than one per campaign day.
4. Report at least every weekend in this topic thread with his current successes or failures.
5. Faithfully communicate to your brethren the falling of your avatar when such event actually transpires.
6. Have a lot of fun!

Please enter your pilot at this link:
Pilot Questionnaire
Please update this survey after every few missions, or at least once a week!

This is kind of a "Who's Line Is It Anyway" sort of affair where we try to have fun with good people.
Reporting can be by any of the following methods:
-Text is good
-Pictures are better
-Videos are what this sim is made for!

There were some great reports and pictures and vids in the previous challenges, so look over them if you want some ideas!

This is single elimination, so one death and you are out. Keep in mind that even if you are not playing "dead is dead" in the workshop, at the end of each mission it will still tell you that "Sadly, your pilot has died" if his injuries were fatal so you don't need to switch your settings for this. Keep in mind that if you land in England or the channel, you may be captured and the war over for you. So be careful up there!

When you set up your pilot, click on "Manual Squad Deployment" in the lower right hand corner of the enlistment page. Set up the following screen so it looks like this:

[Linked Image]

Scoring:

Missions: +2 point each
Time survived: +2 points each week
Confirmed kill: +3 points each
Becoming an ace: +5 points (only once)
Promotion: +5 points each promotion
Medals: +3 points each
Survive to end of Challenge: +10 points
Wounding: -8 points each occurrence

This challenge will have a have a hard end date of Friday, March 1st. (love Februarys!) That gives us four weeks exactly. You can have a maximum of 24 missions total. Then we can tally the points and declare a winner. You are certainly free to continue to fly your pilot after that if still alive, but for point determination, we need a cut-off date.

The Fine Print: (Rules)
You may use whatever aids you are used to using. Wind should be set to “On”. Please set your weather to “Historical Weather”. Flight model should be realistic and you should have weapons jams and limited ammo and all that jazz...
Feel free to lead your flights if you want!

The point is to have fun and we had outstanding support and sportsmanship from all fliers in previous challenges and we would love to see some new faces!

As far as time advancement, please follow these guidelines:

Allow time to advance as normal except fly no more than one mission per campaign day (time advance manually as necessary)
For every promotion, advance five campaign days.
For becoming an ace, advance five campaign days

*After each mission, please advance forward to the next day to avoid flying more than one sortie per day.
At the end of the challenge, I will tabulate the winning pilot overall and declare him the Zweiest Guy Around!
There will be some small prize for winning, look here in the future for more information!

There is a good opportunity here to get your scouts painted up in a fine livery. The system looks similar to what is in WOFF with the addition of needing to make a damage skin overlay to go with it. The damage skin template is in each aircraft folder, maybe Robert or someone would be kind enough to jump on here and give a quick overview.

Here's a link to the Youtube video on WOFF skinning:

Official challenge start time is Friday, Feb 1st: whenever that starts local to you, grab some QC time in your birds and we’ll be off!

The prize for the winner will be:
a choice between:
The Most Dangerous Enemy: A History of the Battle of Britain by Stephen Bungay
With Wings Like Eagles: The Untold Story of the Battle of Britain by Michael Korda
or
Battle of Britain 1940: The Luftwaffe’s ‘Eagle Attack’ (Air Campaign) by Doug Dildy

I will update this area with pilots and scores as the challenge progresses, so you can always check here for the latest info.

List of Pilots:
Rick Rawlings

MFair
carrick58
gaw1
Dark_Canuck
Ace_Pilto
Stache
Trooper117

Strikethrough indicates a pilot's demise or permanent capture, d.n.p. = did not participate, number to the right of the pilot is the final score

Attached Files Zwei Guy Poster.pngEnlist.jpg
Last edited by Rick_Rawlings; 02/27/19 03:14 AM.

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4456149 - 01/05/19 12:06 PM Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Rick, you can count me in IF I can get my rudder problem worked out! Your challenge is always fun.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4456171 - 01/05/19 05:55 PM Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Achtung, Feindliche Kampfer. Count me in ! Ok boys put the ship back together and re paint for the Western Front. Glaus, try not to have screws and parts left over after all the parts are put back.

Attached Files Me 109 JG-54 Russia August 1941.jpg
Last edited by carrick58; 01/05/19 06:33 PM.
#4456176 - 01/05/19 06:26 PM Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
gaw1 Offline
gaw1  Offline

Oh, Hell yes! Nice to see you back Rick....and the Challenge....althought I can't imagine a fray I'd like less to commit to. My appalling record to date with the Luftwaffe makes me cringe for the guys who signed up during the BoB.....my chances w/ the Limeys only slightly better. I'd be astonished if there's anybody left after the first week. Count me in please!!

#4456223 - 01/05/19 11:30 PM Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Yay!

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4456259 - 01/06/19 06:53 AM Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? [Re: MFair]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Originally Posted by MFair
Rick, you can count me in IF I can get my rudder problem worked out! Your challenge is always fun.

There is an easy solution to your rudder problem Sir. Order a set of Crosswinds and you will never have rudder problems again. The added bonus is that your shooting accuracy will surely increase, unless you just totally suck at shooting period. yep
CRSWND FTW! salute These carbon fiber color Crosswinds are the Bomb!

S!Bade<><

Attached Files CRWDS.jpg
Last edited by Blade_Meister; 01/06/19 06:53 AM.
#4456306 - 01/06/19 04:42 PM Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Blade Meister, thanks for the advice, I will look into those. At the moment, since my 5 year old Ch pedals work fine with WOFFUE, I don’t think the pedals are the problem, there is something askew with my system as posted in the technical section. As usual with thieir first rate support, OBD is on the case!

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4456310 - 01/06/19 04:59 PM Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Stache Offline
Stache  Offline

Michigan, USA
Hi Rick,

I am considering this. Should be fun.
I am not seeing a "Historical Weather" option in WOTR (like there is is in WOFF).

Hi Mark,

If you are looking for new pedals, I just replaced my 2 year old Saitek Pedals with Thrustmaster TPR.
I am really loving these. I always preferred resting my heal on the floor.
The precision is excellent.
Just do not look at the price...

Attached Files Thrustmaster TPR.jpg
Last edited by Stache; 01/06/19 05:00 PM.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. A. Einstein

(System Specs:)

I7-6700k OC 4.4GHZ, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz; Gigabyte Gaming 7 MB, G1 OC'ed GTX980ti; Three-Acer XB271HU WQHD Gsync 144Mhz; Samsung 950-512GB NVMe SSD; WD 2TB-7200rpm; Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, Nepton 240M cooler, V1000 PS; Windows 10 PRO; VKB GunfighterPro Stick; Thrustmaster TPR Pedals; Saitek Throttle; Dual TM MFD panels; TrackIR 5; Windows 10 v1909
#4456316 - 01/06/19 06:33 PM Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Stache, it may not be there, a lot of cutting and pasting thumbsup

#4456328 - 01/06/19 08:22 PM Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Dark_Canuck Offline
Dark_Canuck  Offline

Canada
Im in. I've wanted to attempt one of your challenges ever since I discovered WOFF (in the middle of your Sopwith Challenge). Heinrich H. Heinrichson reporting for duty.

Last edited by Dark_Canuck; 01/06/19 08:26 PM.
#4456330 - 01/06/19 08:32 PM Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Yes!! salute

#4456361 - 01/06/19 11:56 PM Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

*sigh*...forums...

Attached Files What We Got.png

#4456390 - 01/07/19 11:01 AM Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Trooper117 Online smile
Hotshot
Trooper117  Online Smile
Hotshot

UK
We need some decent skins for this... anyone? lol!

#4456513 - 01/08/19 08:29 AM Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Since Drongo won't be doing much for a while I'm keen to have a crack at this. Might even be able to put up a video or two.

Let's pretend I got the BWOC badge to embed here.

Wenn ihr sieg im deine Kampf selbst gegen, wirst stark wie Stahl sein.
"The best techniques are passed on by the survivors." - Gaiden Shinji
#4456531 - 01/08/19 01:25 PM Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Sweet! Welcome aboard!

#4456570 - 01/08/19 08:18 PM Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? [Re: Trooper117]  
Trooper117 Online smile
Hotshot
Trooper117  Online Smile
Hotshot

UK
Originally Posted by Trooper117
We need some decent skins for this... anyone? lol!

Er, quoting myself here... thinking of giving this challenge a go, and I'm mentioning skins because if we are going to put up reports of Teutonic daring do, it would be nice if we had some individual skins so that we aren't looking at the same boring skin for every report or video that is produced... anyone?

#4456608 - 01/09/19 01:47 AM Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Yes, take a look at the skinning video I posted in the first thread. Everything is the same for the first skin as seen in the video. Then you have to make a second damage skin which applies a damage overlay to the first skin. Robert was kind enough to talk me through it, I just need some time to try one then I can post hopefully clear instructions. So if you want to work on a skin, just make the regular one and the damaged one is quick to add...

#4456622 - 01/09/19 04:01 AM Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Well here is my ride for the challenge;

It was kinda rough . What with not a lot of bitmaps. Not to mention my files got mixed and some corrupted by a early computer problem. But My Pilot Hans Falke is a Zwei kind of guy

Attached Files CFS3 2019-01-08 19-56-01-40.jpgCFS3 2019-01-08 19-55-02-72.jpgCFS3 2019-01-08 19-54-25-77.jpg
Last edited by carrick58; 01/09/19 04:07 AM.
#4456630 - 01/09/19 05:47 AM Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Ok, carrick, looks great, but how did you get it in the game? What naming convention did you use? I've been working for hours trying to puzzle through this and you just up and did it! rofl

Attached Files Naming.pngTest.pngSeeing.png
Last edited by Rick_Rawlings; 01/09/19 06:29 AM.

#4456631 - 01/09/19 06:28 AM Re: What's that you say? A Rick Rawlings Challenge?!? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Ok, So it might not look like much, but this represents several hours of trying to get rid of the number and clean up the paint:

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Maybe if we cry loud enough, Pol wil release one with the layers so we can avoid all the clean up... pitchafit

Anyway...so here are Robert's instructions for creating the damage skin:
In order to extract the alpha layer from the Damage2.dds file, do the following steps:

1) open it in DXTBmp program
2) In the menu select "Alpha" and in the drop down menu choose "Send Alpha to Editor".
3) when you are in the editor, save the output file as "Hurricane_Alpha.bmp"
4) you now have an alpha layer to put back into the next .dds You create.

To use the alpha layer when creating a new .dds do the following:

1) open your skin .bmp file in DXTBmp
2) in the menu choose "Alpha" and in the drop down menu choose "Import Alpha channel"
2b) you will see the alpha channel displayed in the far right side of the screen labelled "Alpha Channel" if you did it correctly
3) in the menu choose "File" and in the drop down menu choose "Save as" and select "DDS Texture"
4) In the pop up menu choose "DDS DXT1" (make sure not to choose DDS DXT1 No Alpha) and then select "Save"
5) you now have a saved .dds output file with the alpha channel added for the Damage2.dds

I have already done 1-4 for you. In this file is the clean bitmap for the main skin and the damage alpha file for the damaged skin. So just create your skin based on the video instructions, export it as a .dds in DXTBMP once and then do it again adding the alpha layer as described in 1-5 in part 2 above and it should work. For now, you will have to replace one of the existing skins (back it up first!) I have asked Robert for naming conventions if we want to add the skin rather than replace one of the default ones...

Attached Files Clean.jpg
Last edited by Rick_Rawlings; 01/09/19 06:30 AM.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.