Hop To
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15
#4453370 - 12/15/18 02:25 PM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S. of ...
28 November 1914

Saint-Pol-Sur-Ternoise
Noel Kay writes: "0815: Nice day. Very quite over the lines - no artillery at all. 1 hour 6 minutes. I've been promoted to Sergent!"

Gonneham, No 3 Sqdn
Corrigan Aujla writes: "1043: Routine patrol. Nothing happening. 1 hour 25 minutes."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer
Filimor Hance writes: "1053: Clear sky. Routine patrol. 1 hour 18 minutes."

Gonneham, No 4 Sqdn
Ries Meismer writes: "I've been grounded for two weeks. My time is to be spent studying procedures for a week, then helping the mechanics."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "Two straight weeks of fog now."

Some people are born stupid. I've had to work hard my whole life to get this way. I'm proud of the job I've done
#4453428 - 12/16/18 06:33 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

29 November 1914

The situation becomes somewhat reversed, with rain once again covering the Flanders area, but now Pontfaverger sees a rare day with high overcast but no fog. However...

Odis Först writes: "1552: Fog lifted. No patrols, but everybody got in a little flying time, some more than others. We were barely airborne when the engine started running rough. Our first time to fly in two weeks and we only got 15 minutes in!"

Some people are born stupid. I've had to work hard my whole life to get this way. I'm proud of the job I've done
#4453451 - 12/16/18 03:00 PM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

30 November 1914

Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer
Filimor Hance writes: "0815: Got to fly again today. Routine patrol. Very little fighting going on. 1 hour 21 minutes."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Ternoise
Noel Kay writes: "0935: Sun came out. Routine patrol. Some fighting south of Arras. 1 hour 6 minutes."

Gonneham, No 3 Sqdn
Corrigan Aujla writes: "Exciting time today. It stopped raining. Took off at 1222 into a light fog. No sooner had we left the ground than the BE started to roll to the right. The angle was too steep to set ;her down again. At an altitude of about fifty feet we turned right towards the hangars. The plane kept turning to the right and I was able to apply enough rudder to get her on the ground again. We were both pretty shaken up. It turned out that one of the control wires had worked loose and the mechanics had somehow failed to spot it.

Gonneham, No 4 Sqdn
Ries Meismer writes: "Third day on the ground. It's harder today, as the weather has cleared enough for everyone to fly. Except me."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "The clouds are still high and the fog is gone. Only trouble is, now it's raining."

#4453503 - 12/16/18 11:29 PM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

1 December 1914

The weather has closed in again. Ground fighting on the Western Front goes on in the rain and mud, while the air squadrons are grounded throughout the region.

#4453557 - 12/17/18 06:58 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
Originally Posted by Sailor_Steve
No, I just fly the mission in Quick Combat and record it in my personal logs. I've assigned each of my pilots a section of the trenches to patrol, and that's all I'm doing right now. I hadn't even thought of the mission editor.

Interesting. And how do you generate enemy air activity?

#4453687 - 12/18/18 02:17 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: JJJ65]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

Originally Posted by JJJ65

I don't. I just fly patrols up and down the lines. None of my pilots has yet seen an enemy aeroplane.

#4453689 - 12/18/18 02:28 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

2 December 1914

Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer
Filimor Hance writes: "0950: Got another patrol in. Quite a bit of artillery all down the line. 1 hour 20 minutes."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Ternoise
Noel Kay writes: "1058: Gloomy day, but good enough to fly. Still fighting south of Arras. 1 hour 10 minutes."

Gonneham, No 3 Sqdn
Corrigan Aujla writes: "1256: Able to fly again today. Standard patrol. 1 hour 23 minutes. Late in the afternoon we received a new delivery - a French type Morane-Saulnier, a two-seat parasol aircraft. If the weather we will be taking turns flying this new machine."

Gonneham, No 4 Sqdn
Ries Meismer writes: "Day five on report. The rain has lessened and the boys are flying again."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "The rain has worsened. it's blowing up a gale."

#4453699 - 12/18/18 04:30 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
rtoolooze262 Offline
rtoolooze262  Offline

Mo. USA

I don't. I just fly patrols up and down the lines. None of my pilots has yet seen an enemy aeroplane.

Makes sense as its so early in the war

#4454012 - 12/20/18 01:41 PM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

3 December 1915

Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer
Filimor Hance writes: "1124: Gloomy, wet, gusty day. High winds blowing us all over the place. 1 hour 14 minutes."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Ternoise
Noel Kay writes: "1222: Gloomy weather. Standard patrol. 1 hour 13 minutes."

Gonneham, No 3 Sqdn
Corrigan Aujla writes: "1433: Routine patrol except for the part where we were hit by machine gun fire. No serious damage but still something to worry about. 1 hour 24 minutes."

#4454093 - 12/20/18 08:47 PM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha

Is ol' Stevo in the club yet? If not, he is prime cricket bat material. If so, sorry, it's hard to tell who's who when there are three of everyone.

Let's pretend I got the BWOC badge to embed here.

Wenn ihr sieg im deine Kampf selbst gegen, wirst stark wie Stahl sein.
"The best techniques are passed on by the survivors." - Gaiden Shinji
#4454260 - 12/21/18 07:01 PM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

4 December 1914

Yet again the entire region is enveloped in driving rain. Nobody is flying today.

#4454311 - 12/22/18 02:19 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

5 December 1914

Gonneham, No 3 Sqdn
Corrigan Aujla writes: "0913: Rainy patrol. No fighting going on anywhere. 1 hour 23 minutes."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer
Filimor Hance writes: "1252: Raining still, but not quite enough to stop us. Sector quiet today. 1 hour 19 minutes."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Ternoise
Noel Kay writes: "1349: Patrol in the rain. No activity at all. 1 hour 15 minutes."

Gonneham, No 4 Sqdn
Ries Meismer writes: "Eighth day on restriction. Squadron is flying again."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "Weather has turned nasty. Blowing wet snow."

#4454393 - 12/22/18 05:49 PM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

6 December 1914

Gonneham, No 3 Sqdn RFC
Corrigan Aujla writes: "1050: Skies clearing. Some artillery near Passchendaele and heavy fighting around Messines. 1 hour 22 minutes.

1426: My turn to take the Morane up today. After one last lesson on using the "blip" switch and a warning on the machine's quirks, I was off. All the descriptions and warnings in the world don't tell you how much the plane wants to fly to the left. Constant right rudder and working of the stick are required just to maintain a straight course. The French gauges don't help either. I did one circuit of the aerodrome and a touch-and-go. A second circuit and I landed too far to the left, right towards some trees. I didn't quite touch down when I decided that breaking off now might be a good idea. I climbed out and circled the field again. This time the ground crew were waving a red flag, meaning that my landing should be final. I brought the machine in safely, thinking I might be in trouble. Actually they wanted me out of the sky to avoid confusion. A pilot from Paris brought us a second Parasol! If the weather holds I
should have twice the opportunity now to practice on the new aeroplane. 17 minutes."

Saint -Pol-Sur-Mer
Filimor Hance writes: "1425: Nice day for a flight. Big artillery exchange near Nieuwpoort. 1 hour 20 minutes."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Ternoise
Noel Kay writes: "1518: Partly cloudy. Some artillery around Athies and Arras. 1 hour 16 minutes."

Gonneham, No 4 Sqdn RFC
Ries Meismer writes: "Ninth day on restriction. Squadron is flying again.12/6/14 Ninth day on restriction. Lovely day out today. Quite cold, but partly clear. Watching the boys fly is getting harder and harder. Capt Wimund came to visit today. He actually apologized for not making it sooner, but he's been busy flying with another pilot. He says he doesn't hold the accident against me at all. It could have happened to any of us. No 3 Sqdn has a new pair of aeroplanes – a pair of Morane parasols. The second one arrived today. They've been taking turns getting used to the new machines. I wonder if we'll get something similar soon."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "Still snowing."

#4454506 - 12/23/18 05:47 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

7 December 1914

Saint-Pol-Sur Ternoise
Noel Kay writes: "0948: Much nicer today. Constant artillery all down the line. 1 hour 11 minutes."

Gonneham, No 3 Sqdn RFC
Corrigan Aujla writes: "1258: More time in the Morane. Some more touch-and-goes. 22 Minutes.

1352: Took off for patrol. Engine quit over Houthulst Forest. Tried to turn back to Ypres. Couldn't clear the trees. No injuries sustained in the crash, but the BE is stuck up in the tree and we both fell while climbing down. Capt Williamson and I will both be in hospital for at least a week. Flight time 29 minutes."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer
Filimor Hance writes: "1600: Another nice day. Some artillery, but not as much as yesterday. 1 hour 16 minutes."

Gonneham, No 4 Sqdn RFC
Ries Meismer writes: "Tenth day on restriction."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "The snow has lightened, but is still coming down."

#4454556 - 12/23/18 03:08 PM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

8 December 1914

Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer
Filimor Hance writes: "0930: Beautiful day for flying. Some fighting near Diksmuide. 1 hour 24 minutes."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Ternoise
Noel Kay writes: "1113: Beautiful day. Very heavy fighting opposite Lens. 1 hour 13 minutes."

Ypres
Corrigan Aujla writes: "Captain Williamson and I are in a military wing of a small hospital in Ypres. Yesterday evening the doctor told me that I had sprained my ankle and would be able to walk out in four days. The Captain is a little worse off. He twisted his hip and is lucky it's not broken. He will be here for a week at least, and maybe on crutches for a few days after that."

Gonneham, No 4 Sqdn RFC
Ries Meismer writes: "Eleventh day on restriction. I have kept busy helping the adjutant organize reports, and try not to think about the fellows up flying on this beautiful day. Not a cloud in the sky."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "The air has warmed up somewhat. The snow has turned to rain again."

#4454594 - 12/23/18 07:58 PM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

9 December 1914

The rain has returned again, and air squadrons all over the front try to occupy themselves with different ways to fight the boredom.

#4454684 - 12/24/18 07:39 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

10 December 1914

Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer
Filimor Hance writes: "1108: Routine patrol. Another lovely day. 1 hour 17 minutes."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Ternoise
Noel Kay writes: "1240: The sun is back. Routine patrol. South of Lens the engine started giving off a horrible screeching sound. We managed to find a nearby airfield. Their mechanics determined that we had a bearing going bad. It should be repaired tomorrow. 1 hour 11 minutes."

Gonneham, No 4 Sqdn RFC
Official Report: "Sergeant Ries Meismer was killed in a landing accident today, at 1253 hours.After twelve days on restriction for a prior landing accident, Sgt Meismer was practicing take-offs and landings when on approach to the field and apparently watching the low hedge that caused his crash on the 27th November he became distracted and flew straight into a tree. The family, of Launceston, Cornwall, UK, will be notified."

Ypres
Corrigan Aujla writes: "Second day a Ypres. Captain Williamson and I had a good long talk about the future of The War and Aerial Reconnaissance. I'm hobbling around with a cane but feeling better quickly."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "We had a clear day today. We didn't do any flying, but Ltn Boelcke received a brand-new Fokker two-seat monoplane from the factory, courtesy of Lt Parschau, Herr Fokker's leading trainer. We all turned out to watch him give his fellow officers a ride. The machine is unusual in that its seats are side-by-side rather than fore-and-aft."

#4454756 - 12/24/18 05:05 PM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

11 December 1914

Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer
Filimor Hance writes: "1239: Light fog up to 400 metres. Usual patrol. 1 hour 25 minutes."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Ternoise
Noel Kay writes: "1406; The usual patrol. Misty weather, a little fog. 1 hour 14 minutes."

Ypres
Corrigan Aujla writes: "Third day in Ypres. Ankle is much better. Captain Williamson managed to walk from his bed to the privy, leaning on a nurse."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "The weather is good enough to fly but Hauptmann Streccius had a planning meeting involving all the observers, and they were discussing plans for the Unit most of the day."

#4454863 - 12/25/18 02:48 PM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

12 December 1914

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "0922: Moderately clear day. Hptm Streccius had us up practicing, re-learning our flying skills. 1 hour 28 minutes."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer
Filimor Hance writes: 1418: Partial overcast, 300 metres, mainly over the lines. Couldn't see a thing. 1 hour 23 minutes."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Ternoise
Noel Kay writes: "1534: Heavy overcast made it seem later than it was. Routine patrol, returning home in the dark. The artillery duel in the dark was quite beautiful. Finding the field was easy enough. Judging the altitude for landing was not. Still, we made it down safely. 1 hour 10 minutes."

Gonneham, No 3 Sqdn RFC
Corrigan Aujla writes: "This morning Capt Williamson and I had a discussion of what I should do next – remain here with him while he recovers or return to base. He was of the opinion that I should return and get as Much time in on the new Moranes as possible. He wrote a note to that effect and then sent a cable to Gonneham to have a car sent for me. It arrived shortly before lunchtime and by 1600 hours I was back in my cot at the aerodrome. I'm walking quite well now and should be able to fly tomorrow."

#4455019 - 12/27/18 02:42 PM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

13 December 1914

Saint-Pol-Sur-Ternoise
Noel Kay writes: "0859: A little fog, low overcast. Routine patrol. 1 hour 12 minutes."

Gonneham
Corrigan Aujla writes: "1442: Because I wasn't part of the regular rotation learning to fly the new Moranes I had to wait all day for my turn. I finally got off late in the afternoon. Still I managed to fly a good turn around area and land just before dark. 1 hour 11 minutes.

Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer
Filimor Hance writes: "1536: Another night patrol. How I hate these things. Take off right at dusk, the sun is completely gone when you reach your patrol line. Can't see anything except for the occasional artillery, and then have to land in the dark. The fire-pots are lit, but judging distance is still difficult. Crossed the 100-hours mark. 1 hour 27 minutes."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "Just when we're ready to go on patrol, it starts snowing again."

Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM