Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4450328 - 11/24/18 04:35 PM StarCitizen: Free Flight (try game for free)  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Ok, the starcitizen free fly has started but its really complicated to figure out from their main website. Once you have the right link though it's fairly straight forward. The free ships you can try out are going to be rotating every day until the free flight is over. There is also a LTI (lifetime insurance) package with their new fighter but its like 80 bucks vs the starter package which is 45. If you ever get to the point you want to buy in just check with someone on SimHQ to make sure you're getting the right thing. Here is the link. Time to check out if it is a scam or not! smile

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/promotions/IAE_Free_Fly

Make an account. When making an account be sure to use a referal code from someone here. if you dont have one use this (STAR-BCJZ-5VV2) Then go back to that website and enter the free flight code

STAR CITIZEN

Then download the live launcher and log into the launcher and the game should download.

if you are still having trouble there is a walkthrough page to help you get started.

https://support.robertsspaceindustries.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012238394

Last edited by Master; 11/24/18 04:38 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4450429 - 11/25/18 04:33 PM Re: StarCitizen: Free Flight (try game for free) [Re: Master]  
Patrocles Offline
Hotshot
Patrocles  Offline
Hotshot

Chicagoland
Wow, I will have to see if I can update my SC copy over Christmas holidays.

I have not touched the game in 2 or 3 years! I bought one of their cheap ships a couple of years ago and played it quite a bit when time allowed. I see a lot of people whining about the game being a scam, but from my limited exposure in-game I already feel like I have gotten my money's worth!

Animal Mother > Rambo+ChuckNorris
#4450437 - 11/25/18 05:46 PM Re: StarCitizen: Free Flight (try game for free) [Re: Master]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Well if it is a scam it's a $200 million dollar scam. I can't see where the money went to be honest.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4450478 - 11/25/18 11:21 PM Re: StarCitizen: Free Flight (try game for free) [Re: Chucky]  
Patrocles Offline
Hotshot
Patrocles  Offline
Hotshot

Chicagoland
Originally Posted by Chucky
Well if it is a scam it's a $200 million dollar scam. I can't see where the money went to be honest.

I get it. You are upset because the Star Citizen is not a complete game. I feel the same to a slight degree especially with the spaceship flight models and waiting for SQ42. I played a ton in the FPS universe and Star Marine modules to feel some satisfaction of spending $25 on one ship. Hopefully in my lifetime we will have the SQ42, Space Marine fps, and the persistent universe in better shape.

How much money have you invested in SC? Are you saying you saw no changes in SC over time? How many hours have you played the game? What was the last version of SC that you played? I looked at some vids and posts after Mr. Master made his post and the advances are pretty amazing. IIRC, last time I played the game was barely above v2.0 and IIUC it is now up to 3.XX.

When was the last time you asked your question, "I can't see where the $200 million went to be honest." on any forums? I do not spend anytime on the SC forums - I would guess that site is a house choir and organ. Perhaps reddit may be a better site or at least better than SimHQ and offical sc forums for your to find more information? I can give it a shot later this week and report back on any replies
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/

#4450537 - 11/26/18 10:55 AM Re: StarCitizen: Free Flight (try game for free) [Re: Master]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Don't mind me Patrocles,I have a downer on Star Citizen it seems.

I didn't jump in at the start,I waited for some time before buying my cheap (but still around $80 package). There was little to do in the game back then,it didn't run all that well either so I lost interest in it and played the crap out of Elite:Dangerous which in my opinion is far superior. Then came one of the patches (I forget which one) that made the game unplayable for me and for a lot of others it seems so I just left it alone. The recent 3.3 patch has made it playable but not perfect. So yeah,with the insane funding these guys got I was expecting something better.

#4450550 - 11/26/18 01:13 PM Re: StarCitizen: Free Flight (try game for free) [Re: Master]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Didn’t Gillian Anderson do a voice for a character in this game?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4450556 - 11/26/18 02:05 PM Re: StarCitizen: Free Flight (try game for free) [Re: Chucky]  
Patrocles Offline
Hotshot
Patrocles  Offline
Hotshot

Chicagoland
Originally Posted by Chucky
Don't mind me Patrocles,I have a downer on Star Citizen it seems.

I didn't jump in at the start,I waited for some time before buying my cheap (but still around $80 package). There was little to do in the game back then,it didn't run all that well either so I lost interest in it and played the crap out of Elite:Dangerous which in my opinion is far superior. Then came one of the patches (I forget which one) that made the game unplayable for me and for a lot of others it seems so I just left it alone. The recent 3.3 patch has made it playable but not perfect. So yeah,with the insane funding these guys got I was expecting something better.

OK, no worries! I do understand people's complaints about the slow progress of the game (feature creep/option creep is a valid complaint imho). A year after I bought the ship it became clear to me that SC was going to take a long long long time. So I stopped playing and moved on to other things and decided I would check in every couple of years about game progress.

#4450558 - 11/26/18 02:08 PM Re: StarCitizen: Free Flight (try game for free) [Re: Patrocles]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Patrocles
I would check in every couple of years about game progress.

LOL!!! Is this a game being developed or the Great Wall of China being rebuilt?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4450559 - 11/26/18 02:08 PM Re: StarCitizen: Free Flight (try game for free) [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Patrocles Offline
Hotshot
Patrocles  Offline
Hotshot

Chicagoland
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

Yes, Gillian Anderson, along with Mark Hamill and Gary Oldman, are some of the big names in Squadron 42 game. They are providing voice and motion capture of their characters. If we are lucky we may see SQ42 released by 2042!
wink

#4450570 - 11/26/18 03:42 PM Re: StarCitizen: Free Flight (try game for free) [Re: Patrocles]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...

Yes, Gillian Anderson, along with Mark Hamill and Gary Oldman, are some of the big names in Squadron 42 game. They are providing voice and motion capture of their characters. If we are lucky we may see SQ42 released by 2042!
wink

Also Mark Strong, Liam Cunningham, Sophie Wu and Andy Serkis to name a few more. It's been 6 years so far and probably another couple to go (at least) My 10 year old PC really struggles to play it even in the PTU, plus I just don't have the time to sit down and play it.

I had a go last week when 3.3.6 dropped to the PTU and it played so much better than the last time I had a go on 2. something which was pretty much a slideshow, I have now put in the max amount of RAM my motherboard can handle at 24GB also a 500GB 850Evo SSD and a GTX760 a while ago, the rest is pretty much the same as what I started with an i7 965 with water cooling but not over clocked, it keeps the noise level down smile

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4450571 - 11/26/18 03:44 PM Re: StarCitizen: Free Flight (try game for free) [Re: Master]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I had no clue who Liam Cunningham was until Game of Thrones.

#4450621 - 11/26/18 08:06 PM Re: StarCitizen: Free Flight (try game for free) [Re: Master]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

A big thing to remember to do when patching up the game is delete your user folder. The shader directory in there gets corrupted and can be a real FPS sink if you dont delete it every patch.

#4450631 - 11/26/18 08:11 PM Re: StarCitizen: Free Flight (try game for free) [Re: Master]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Where is that Master? Is it the rsilauncher folder in appdata/roaming? I see a Cache and GpuCache folders in there. Do I just delete those 2?

*edit* I see one here too... Roberts Space Industries\StarCitizen\LIVE\USER

Last edited by Chucky; 11/26/18 08:15 PM.

#4450634 - 11/26/18 08:15 PM Re: StarCitizen: Free Flight (try game for free) [Re: Master]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

The exact position will vary depending on wher eyou installed from but here is mine.

G:\Roberts Space Industries\StarCitizen\LIVE\USER\Shaders

if you delete the user folder it will kill ALL of your settings. If you kill the shader folder it will save your setting and keymap but it might not fix a FPS bug if you have one. But its better to start with shader and if that doesnt fix it then kill the full user folder.

Last edited by Master; 11/26/18 08:17 PM.
#4450635 - 11/26/18 08:16 PM Re: StarCitizen: Free Flight (try game for free) [Re: Master]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
I updated my post as you posted yours,I got it now,thanks.

#4450636 - 11/26/18 08:18 PM Re: StarCitizen: Free Flight (try game for free) [Re: Master]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

this is the route to my user folder of my PTU folder

C:\Program Files\Roberts Space Industries\StarCitizenPTU\LIVE\User

I find if I don't delete the folder my mouse pointer in the game is out by about quarter of the screen height so I always delete the whole folder.

Last edited by Alicatt; 11/26/18 08:32 PM.

Clan Cameron
#4450660 - 11/26/18 10:36 PM Re: StarCitizen: Free Flight (try game for free) [Re: Master]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Last time I tried PTU a month ago the game was nothing but crashes for me. frown

#4450716 - 11/27/18 01:17 PM Re: StarCitizen: Free Flight (try game for free) [Re: Alicatt]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Originally Posted by Alicatt

wink

Also Mark Strong, Liam Cunningham, Sophie Wu and Andy Serkis to name a few more. It's been 6 years so far and probably another couple to go (at least) My 10 year old PC really struggles to play it even in the PTU, plus I just don't have the time to sit down and play it.

I had a go last week when 3.3.6 dropped to the PTU and it played so much better than the last time I had a go on 2. something which was pretty much a slideshow, I have now put in the max amount of RAM my motherboard can handle at 24GB also a 500GB 850Evo SSD and a GTX760 a while ago, the rest is pretty much the same as what I started with an i7 965 with water cooling but not over clocked, it keeps the noise level down smile

I am holding out until they get at least one Kardashian. Sheez...what a bunch of nobodies.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4450725 - 11/27/18 02:52 PM Re: StarCitizen: Free Flight (try game for free) [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Patrocles Offline
Hotshot
Patrocles  Offline
Hotshot

Chicagoland
I would check in every couple of years about game progress.

LOL!!! Is this a game being developed or the Great Wall of China being rebuilt?

Folks have made some good arguments SC build time is in-line with other AAA games of such scope. However, for good or bad, and unlike other AAA games, SC game is being built 'while you watch.'

#4450737 - 11/27/18 03:22 PM Re: StarCitizen: Free Flight (try game for free) [Re: Nixer]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Nixer
Originally Posted by Alicatt

wink

I am holding out until they get at least one Kardashian. Sheez...what a bunch of nobodies.

Wait, What? a cross-over from DS-9???

Clan Cameron

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.