Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 356 of 366 1 2 354 355 356 357 358 365 366
#4583776 - 10/28/21 01:51 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) ***** [Re: Raine]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Carrick – Your man is having quite a war to himself! Nice digs in the south of France.

Albert – That BMW power must be a real joy after flying two-seaters. Congratulations on raising your bag to 16. Those twins Spandaus in expert hands really shred the enemy machines! It’s too bad for Werner that the writing is on the wall for the Kaiserreich. Things are getting really tough. The morning of 27 October was an incredible patrol – four Spads downed in quick succession. And then the afternoon saw Werner add two more to his claims. Then, to top it all off, all six claims are confirmed! Brilliant work.

Fullofit – The Spads are coming after Raben’s crew one by one, like the bad guys in a Bruce Lee film. Raben is kicking their butts in the same Bruce Lee style! Passing the 160 mark is an amazing achievement.

Lou – Thank you so much for the surprise award of the DSO for Fergie. It certainly set me up for an enjoyable leave story.

Journal of Lieutenant Robert Fergus Drummond, DSO, DFC
32 Squadron, Royal Air Force
La Bellevue, France

Part 19

[Linked Image]

Sometimes in life one is fortunate enough to be aware that one is experiencing moments never to be forgotten. I was still only nineteen, I reminded myself. Growing up in rural Québec I went to school with only boys, knew only boys, and had never worked up the courage to meet any of the fairer sex in my brief sojourn at McGill University. Since then, I had continued to inhabit a relentlessly masculine world, one inhabited by ack emmas, bingeing pilots, inspecting generals, and nasty Huns. Yet here I sat at a candlelit table looking out onto the Thames at Westminster Bridge. Champagne sparkled in crystal glasses and a small orchestra played. And Edie, no doubt sensing how novel all this was, teased me no end.

“It really is kind of marvellous, this,” I said.

“This what?” she asked.

“The wine. The music. The river. Being here with you. Is that ridiculous? Perhaps you’re used to this sort of thing.” Oh God, I thought. I’ve made her sound like some sort of floozy.

But instead she laughed. “It’s the second time in my life I’ve eaten in a restaurant, not including a few meals in France with the other girls. And the first time I was with my parents when we went to Cornwall on a holiday. You forget that until the war changed everything, it wasn’t quite on for young ladies to be seen out dining in restaurants.”

“I suppose I have a lot to learn,” I said. “I feel like I’ve grown up on the dark side of the moon.” I watched as four waiters methodically closed heavy curtains over the windows. Protection against night raiders, I assumed.

Edie laughed and leaned forward in her chair. “Then tell me, Mister Moon Man, what would you like to see tomorrow?”

My first thought would have got my face slapped, so I hummed and hawed and we started to put a plan together. I walked Edie back to her hotel after dinner. She and Lizzie were staying at the Carlton, so we made our way through darkened streets made more mysterious by a rising fog. Edie took me by the arm and I placed my hand over hers. We arrived at Trafalgar Square. She told me that there was a spot on the pavement from which all mileage signs for London were measured. I put that bit of knowledge away for future use. The appearance of the square shocked me. As part of a campaign for War Bonds, a shell-damaged French village, complete with windmill, had been built in the shadow of Nelson's Monument. Signs implored Londoners to "Feed the Guns." We continued past the square, heading northwest to Haymarket. Her hotel stood on a corner.

“So this is where I leave you, Mr Drummond,” she said, extending a gloved hand. “As they say in the novels, I shall retire unto my virtuous couch.”

“But before you do that, can’t I give you the tiniest of kisses?” I asked.

Edie pretended to pout. “Certainly you can’t be that tentative when you go after your Huns!”

Now it was my turn to pout. “Edie,” I said, “if I went after you the way I would go after a Hun, you’d already be a fallen woman. Fallen and in flames, I should think.” She found this very funny, and I took advantage of the moment to give her rather a more significant smooch than I’d enquired about. She looked at me very seriously for a moment. Gorgeous green eyes. And then she turned away.
“See you at Buckingham Palace, Fergie!” I stood on the pavement for a couple of minutes. I didn’t remember anyone saying that to me before.

The investiture was both impressive and boring. There were several hundred soldiers, sailors, nurses, and airmen to be processed like sausages through the ceremony. Our guests were led directly to a reception area outside in the Quadrangle, while we “honourees” were briefed in one of two large rooms of the Palace. The drill was explained to us, as was the protocol for any conversation with His Majesty. Footmen in powdered wigs assisted in clipping small hooks onto our tunics so that the King couldn’t make a mess of getting our decorations on. Then we were shepherded out to the Quadrangle and assigned seating by rows. I caught a glimpse of Freddie in the front row. The VC recipients get their gongs first, I assume, and they get the first crack at the watercress sandwiches afterwards. I was in the fourth row between a Major General and a naval something with an inordinate amount of gold braid. Small talk was not on order.

The time with the King was brief. I shuffled in line up a ramp to the dais, waited until my name was read, marched until I was level with the King, did a smart left turn to face him, saluted, and stepped forward to receive my DSO. The King looked at me blearily and smiled.

“Always good to see a Canadian. Very well done.”

“Thank you, sir. I mean Your Majesty, sir. Always good to be here.” Idiot! Why did I say that? Idiot! Behind me, a geriatric colonel was reading the next name. I took my three paces backwards, saluted, turned right, and fairly ran down the far ramp.

Freddie, Lizzie, and Edie were anxious to go so we didn’t stay long after the ceremony. Freddie had to pose outside with several other VC winners for a Pathé film photographer and then we were off. We stopped at the entrance of Green Park so that Freddie could show me the Canada Gate, a gift from the Dominion in memory of the late Queen Victoria. From there we made our way up to Piccadilly and into a tearoom Lizzie knew. We spent a pleasant hour and a half. Edie and I made plans to see the city together the following day, beginning with lunch at the Old Cheshire Cheese on Fleet Street, where we agreed to meet. She explained that she had left her luggage at Charing Cross Station. She lived in Tonbridge, south of the city, where her father was a master at a very old boarding school. Her parents had not been able to get away to see the investiture, and she had promised to be home that evening for dinner. There was a train to catch. She would see me tomorrow at 1 PM sharp.

Freddie and Lizzie offered to let me tag along with them. I knew I would simply be in the way, so I asked directions to the RFC Club on Bruton Street. Perhaps I would go there for a drink and dinner later. Then a thought hit me. The good tunic I was wearing did not carry the DSO ribbon. Not only that, but there was a recently-issued order that all RAF officers were expected to acquire one of the new Air Force uniforms. I asked Freddie if there might be a good tailor nearby. He couldn’t remember the name, he said. “It’s on Duke Street. Bit of a jaunt, actually. Might even be closer going to Saville Row.”

I excused myself and made my way across Piccadilly, where I saw the famous Fortnum and Mason store. The next hour was lost inside. I had a shopping bag full of delicious things to bring back to the squadron. A little farther along a record store caught my attention. The new additions to our mess’s collection were “The Bing Boys on Broadway” and “Tails Up.” It was now too late to think of visiting a tailor, and I was too tired and too laden with bags to worry about finding the RFC Club. I flagged a taxi back to the Savoy.

As I made my way across the lobby, the immaculately dressed concierge bade me a good evening. “Congratulations, sir. I trust you had a memorable day.” The puzzled look on my face registered with him, and he added, “It is a very significant honour, receiving the DSO directly from the King. Congratulations again, sir.” How on earth did he know? Not only was he all-knowing – he was psychic, for next he said to me, “If you would like to relax at the bar, sir, I could have those parcels brought to your room.” I could have hugged him. Instead, becoming accustomed to this luxurious life very quickly, I explained to the concierge my need for a new Royal Air Force uniform and my desire not to lose a rare opportunity to see London by spending the following day hunting for a military tailor. “Leave it with me, sir,” he said. “I am on duty until eight o’clock and will have a solution for you after you’ve had a chance to settle in.”

With that, I headed for the bar. I had the pleasure of meeting Jimmy the bartender, friend to every pilot and observer in the Royal Air Force. He asked me if what I had done with Major Abbott, and I suggested that there was a certain young lady who could answer that question better than I. After a short conversation about mixed drinks, he asked what spirits I enjoyed and I told him Scotch whisky. He proceeded to demonstrate the making of a “Blue Blazer,” a sort of toddy made with flaming whisky poured elaborately from one silver jug to another, sweetened and served with lemon and orange peel. The performance drew loud applause.

About an hour later, I made my way back to the lobby. The concierge smiled and proudly informed me that two gentlemen from the firm of Welsh and Jeffries would be at the hotel at nine o’clock sharp in the morning to measure me for the uniform of my choice. They would bring books, drawings, and fabric to aid my selection. He then told me that he had taken the liberty of asking that they come prepared with a DSO ribbon for the tunic I was wearing, as he had noticed that I had not yet had a chance to put the ribbon up. He confessed that it was how he knew I had been to an investiture. He had seen me the previous evening in my old tunic with both the DSO and DFC ribbons; this one had only the DFC ribbon and a loose thread where the hook from the investiture had been pinned earlier today. The man was a genuine Sherlock Holmes!

The following morning at nine o’clock sharp, the front desk called to say that the two gentlemen from Welsh and Jeffries were downstairs and could they please send them up to my room. Getting fitted by an expert London tailor was a fascinating experience. The master tailor asked me dozens of questions and gave me more things to think about than I could have imagined possible. I selected the khaki tunic and fawn trousers. Our standard “maternity jacket” design and splitarse cap had never appealed to me. The more traditional officer’s tunic style suited me fine. Apparently, we were supposed to wear white shirts and black ties, so I ordered five shirts and two ties. The tailor showed me several regulation peaked caps. One of them fit me perfectly and he let me keep it. Everything would be ready in two weeks and would be shipped to me in France. He said he would draw up the final bill and could leave it at the front desk for me tomorrow. If I left a cheque with the desk clerk, it would get to him. In the meanwhile, his assistant had moved my DFC ribbon over and sewn on the ribbon of the DSO to its left.

An hour later I was pacing the pavement along the Strand, glancing at my wristwatch every few minutes as the time ticked down to one o’clock. One o’clock came and went. Five past. Ten past. It had been too good to come true. Then I heard my name. It was Edie, running between carriages across Fleet Street. She ran up and gave me a hug. I didn’t want to let go.

“I’m ever so sorry. The train was dreadfully late. I’m famished.” We went into the historic Olde Cheshire Cheese and ordered rarebit and toast in the same room frequented by Samuel Johnson. To my delight, Edie asked for a half of bitter and I ordered a pint. We talked eagerly and laughed uproariously at the nonsense in the bar room across from the lounge where we sat. Three naval officers were teasing a grey parrot that was caged behind the bar, and the bird was responding by making obscene comments about the Kaiser.

The afternoon passed like a dream. I saw the offices of all the great newspapers along Fleet Street. We visited Saint Paul’s Cathedral and saw the house of the Lord Mayor of London. Edie told me stories she had read of the Great Fire of 1666, saw the street where it began and a monument to the event built by Christopher Wren. We arrived at the Tower, and I marvelled at the fact that the original tower here was built by William the Conqueror. Soldiers now drilled in the dry moat beneath the walls. Of course, we wandered over Tower Bridge, stopping to watch the river traffic and listening to the sounds of the great city. On the south bank of the river, we walked back westward and Edie took me through the stalls of Borough Market, set up beneath the arches of the railroad bridge that carried trains from the south into the city. We continued along the river, which we recrossed at Waterloo Bridge. From there we passed along the Victoria Embankment. Edie showed me the Egyptian obelisk and sphinx, the latter bearing the scars of a Hunnish bomb dropped in a Gotha raid last year. We made it all the way to Westminster and explored Whitehall. Edie was very impressed when one of the Horse Guards offered me a sword salute, which I returned so snappily that I nearly knocked my cap off.

As we passed Charing Cross Station, Edie said she needed to retrieve her bag from the held luggage office where she left it on her arrival back in London earlier today. I was crestfallen. “Does that mean that you’re heading back to your hotel already?”

“I am not going to join you for drinks or dinner in this state, Mr Drummond. I shall need a bath first.”

I’m not sure what I was thinking. The next words out of my mouth were, “I have a lovely bath at the Savoy.” Before I could apologise for this outburst, she said it was a lovely idea and that I would have to carry her bag through the lobby so that the world would not think she was a fallen woman. I could not quite believe what was happening. My friend the concierge nodded sombrely as we passed him, with only the merest hint of a smile. Arriving at the room, I ordered a bottle of champagne sent up. Edie retired to the bathroom with her suitcase.

The rest of the evening was enchanting, but no one else’s business except ours…

Attached Files London.jpg
#4583780 - 10/28/21 06:33 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Carrick - Very true.

Fullofit - A very rare dry day for Klaus. It won't last, the final lap is in sight. Clearly Werner used up all of the Claims man's time and energy. Hopefully he'll get his confirmations tomorrow. As for the DVIIF, it's a great aircraft and if Jasta 18 doesn't have them he should get a move to one that does.

Raine - Fergie has had a wonderous time in London. Dates with Edie, dates with the King, dates with tailors and that Concierge seems a very astute chap. Far from being a chaperone, Edie seems a lovely lady and is bringing Fergie out of his shell. He took a chance inviting Edie to use his bath, but boy did it pay off! Great tale again. As for Werner, yesterday's jaunts were enjoyable, it all seems brighter when the sun's shining, except for Germany's demise, that's a reality.

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4583830 - 10/28/21 07:13 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Fw Werner Rendel, EK2
Jasta 78b
Buhl Lorraine airfield

22 confirmed kills

28th October 1918

This morning a replacement turned up, he was straight out of flight training. Vizefeldwebel Max Kinzig was 19 and from Altdorf and after a brief talk with Leutnant Schmid he joined the rest of the Jasta for the morning briefing.

Morning briefing

Schmid explained that an eight man flight would fly across to Luneville to patrol around and keep the pressure up as much as possible after yesterday's success.

The weather remained good as they took off and headed south west. Werner was on Leutnant Schmid's right and felt relaxed and confident.

The trip to the lines went quietly until they were coming up towards Luneville. At that moment Werner rolled his wings and saw specks down below. He signalled and nosed down, as he lost height he recognised the French roundels on the aircraft below and dived down. The SPADs seemed all over the place so Werner picked a target and dived onto his tail all guns blazing.

The Frenchman rolled away but Werner used his speed to come over and around straight onto the Frenchman's tail. By now the rest of the flight had joined in the battle.

Werner fired a good burst into the SPAD and as he tried to climb away a final burst hit the pilot and the stricken aircraft nosed down into the ground.

Werner now looked for another target and saw a SPAD ahead and zoomed after him. The Frenchman tried to turn into Werner's attack but a long burst smacked into the SPADs engine and fuselage.

Werner swung around and onto the SPADs six as it slowed. He lined up his sights and put a devastating flurry into the cockpit and watched as the pilot fell back. The enemy aircraft went straight down into the ground.

He couldn't see any more enemy aircraft so formed up with some nearby DVII's and together they went home.

On landing, four SPADs were downed and a Fokker was damaged but not seriously. Grenwald and Osterreicher got the other kills.

Afternoon sortie. (awaiting two confirmations)

The afternoon jaunt was to defend Buhl airfield. Eight Fokkers took off in the bright sunshine and were climbing up when Werner saw incoming aircraft a bit below him.

He nosed back down and towards the enemy SPADs. The formation of SPADs broke up and Werner latched straight onto one of them. He blasted the Frenchman and closed in and delivered the coup de grace. A final burst had the SPAD lurching over and spiralling down into the ground.

The rest of the Jasta were now engaging the SPADs but there was still one left for Werner. It flew across his sights and he fired a decent burst into the Frenchman. Werner turned and followed the enemy aircraft and latched onto him again.

An accurate burst must have hit the SPAD's wires and it went over into a convoluted spin and went spinning down into the ground.

Werner searched around but could only see friendly Fokkers so they formed up and continued the patrol. No further incidents happened and they landed about 30 minutes later.

Five SPADs had been downed with Schmid, Jungwirth and the new man, Kinzig getting the others.

To his immense surprise, Leutnant Schmid confirmed all four claims. This brought Werner's total to 26 confirmed kills. Kinzig's claim was also confirmed and the Jasta celebrated the youngster's first success.

Attached Files A1.jpgA2.jpgA3.jpgA4.jpgA5.jpgA6.jpgB1.jpgB2.jpgB3.jpgB4.jpgB5.jpgB6.jpg

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4583835 - 10/28/21 08:10 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Cecil P Fawnsworth, DFC.MM. WOFF Wound Stripe.
Lt , Rfc, 54
Villa Du Cap. 13 Rue
De Ville Monte- Carlo,
France.

Oct 28 , 1918.

11 Victory Confirmed
7 Unconfirmed

Recovering Nicely, I will be heading back in 5 days Pity. Oh well , tonight is cards mostly Baccarat over in Monaco so will pop over to meet the locals.

Attached Files index  bond 007.jpg
Last edited by carrick58; 10/28/21 08:10 PM.
#4583847 - 10/28/21 11:20 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Raine, ah Bruce Lee. It’s easy to kick butt of all the nameless bad guys, but not so easy when fighting Brad Pitt.
A splendid couple of days for Drummond. Getting Edie in his sights without the “enemy” spotting him is tricky, but Fergie succeeded not scaring off the girl. He seems to be doing just fine for a bloke with no prior experience. And I wouldn’t worry about that small talk with the King. There’ve been a few before him that put both of their feet in their mouth. So, a new uniform just in time to arrive for the Armistice parade, but who can predict those things? Great storytelling.

Albert, It looks like Werner is the reason Raben’s claims are late. Well, it’s not the end of the world, but Klaus wants to know how Werner manages to grease that greedy claims man to let him have all his claims.
It appears Feldwebel Rendel is continuing his rampage from yesterday. Two in the morning and another two in the afternoon. More grease inside the claims office and all four get confirmed. That’s 10 in a row. Amazing! Jasta 78b is a good place to be in. Even the rookies get their claims confirmed. Some lovely shots in that last series there.

28 October, 1918 08:00 morning mission
Montingen, Verdun Sector
Jasta 18
Rittmeister Klaus Gustav Raben RAO AO PLM HHO EK1 EK2
Fokker D.VII
162 confirmed kills

Both SPADs from the day before yesterday have been confirmed. Klaus caught the claims officer on a good day.
The morning patrol had Jasta 18 flying over friendly front lines between Marbache and Nancy. The Schwarm was approaching the Front lines and Klaus didn’t like what he was looking at. Facing his Schwarm of five was an entire squadron of bombers escorted by an entire squadron of scouts. Raben decided to fight over friendly territory and turned the Schwarm around. He was also trying to lose some altitude to prevent the enemy from taking advantage of it. The lower they were the less room the enemy had to maneuver. They weren’t fast enough and the enemy planes caught up to them converting their height to speed. He could see the other Fokkers were already engaging. He swung his Fokker around to face the foe. The rest of the engagement was a blur, Bréguets then SPADs, then Bréguets again. At some point and already low to the ground, Klaus was able to finally engage one of the troublesome SPADs. Thankfully the Bréguets have disappeared somewhere by now. He latched on to the French scout and hounded him all the way to the deck. This sly Franzose would have him believe he was done for and was presently falling out of control to his death. Klaus was just waiting for the enemy to get close to the ground and miraculously recover. He then swooped down and pounded the SPAD with ease. The biplane went into a spin. This time there was no recovering. He then quickly spotted a duelling pair and decided to join in. Klaus was now close and had a go at the enemy plane. He then followed him when he saw shots being fired uncomfortably close by. This told him the other Fokker was near and he should watch out. He looked to port to stare directly at the radiator face of the approaching Fokker. Only his reflexes saved him this time. Disaster averted, but at the cost of a lost claim. He scanned the area and reacquired his adversary. He recognized the plane for it was all tan with no camouflage on the wings. He had the enemy on the run while firing his Spandaus. It felt like he was doing no damage to the French machine. It was another one of those tough birds. He continued to pump lead into it and brought it down only after blowing one of the wings off. The enemy corkscrewed into the ground. Raben looked around. He was now alone and decided to get his lucky butt back to base as soon as possible. On the way he was joined by Ltn Künster and while circling the field he noticed the other three members of his Schwarm already on the ground.

YouTube Link

28 October, 1918 12:35 afternoon mission
Montingen, Verdun Sector
Jasta 18
Fokker D.VII
162 confirmed kills
Awaiting two claim confirmations

In the afternoon they were sent to patrol over friendly aerodrome at Mars-la-Tour.
Klaus and the rest encountered a flight of SPADs that was very reluctant to engage. They simply meandered above. Finally, after Klaus was about to lose his patience they’ve decided to attack. Klaus was able to avoid the initial attack and in turn get on one of the enemy’s tail. After firing a few shots the SPAD went straight down. Raben was in no mood to follow and looked for another target. He found one soon enough and engaged. His Spandaus seemed to find the sweet spot and the enemy plane corkscrewed down. Klaus couldn’t tell if that was it or only a trick. The SPAD was lost in the ground clutter.

YouTube Link

Raben turned back to see Schwarm Eins finally show up and deal with the last of the SPADs. He almost felt sorry for the lone Frenchman being followed by five or six Fokkers, not including Raben’s. The enemy soon found out what it felt like flying into a hornet’s nest. In the end Klaus damaged the enemy plane sufficiently for it to crash near some houses.

YouTube Link

Most of his Schwarm decided to return to the aerodrome after this engagement and Klaus followed Schwarm Eins to complete the assigned patrol route. The patrol was uneventful, but as soon as that was over and Raben turned for home, a flight of SPADs descended upon them. Schwarm Eins was some distance away and Klaus was diving to get close to them. The SPADs behind were getting closer and Klaus had to break to avoid incoming fire. Thankfully Schwarm Eins was in sight and engaging. Raben was getting hit while trying desperately to avoid the brunt of the attack. The SPADs worked well and stayed clear of Raben’s guns. Eventually they’ve tired of the fight and were now turning west to return home. Klaus was finally left one on one with a single enemy and took full advantage of his opponent’s preoccupation with returning to base. He had him on the run and in the end his Spandaus sawed off half of the starboard top plane. The enemy tumbled to his death below while Klaus looked for the closest airfield. His petrol gauge was telling him he was near empty.

YouTube Link

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4583862 - 10/29/21 09:05 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Fullofit - Two missions for Klaus today and he had some fun. Dangerous fun mind you. That first sortie was a strange one, a real mishmash with the Frenchies standing off initially but then only attacking in dribs and drabs. Then the afternoon sortie. The SPADs attacked well and again if their shooting had been better Klaus was in real trouble, he managed to wriggle free with just a few bullet holes to contend with and made them pay. Hopefully they'll be confirmed. Speaking of confirmations, these last two days have come as a surprise to Werner too, before that he'd had 3 confirmed in 10 claims and now 10 on the bounce.....crazy. Maybe the tombola is broke and the guy is playing happy families instead.

Carrick - Cecil must have stored up a lot of backpay or be amazing at cards if he can afford to gamble in Monaco. He must be a calm cookie....neither shaken nor stirred.

#4583894 - 10/29/21 04:02 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Albert: “Shocking. Positively shocking.” the Shoe was passed and Cecil lost most of his inheritance.

Last edited by carrick58; 10/29/21 04:10 PM.
#4583898 - 10/29/21 04:30 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Shredward Offline
Shredward  Offline

Lake Louise, AB Canada
We arrived at Trafalgar Square. She told me that there was a spot on the pavement from which all mileage signs for London were measured. I put that bit of knowledge away for future use. The appearance of the square shocked me. As part of a campaign for War Bonds, a shell-damaged French village, complete with windmill, had been built in the shadow of Nelson's Monument. Signs implored Londoners to "Feed the Guns."

Trafalgar Square, from the roof of Canada House, October 1918.
Cheers,
shredward

Attached Files Trafalgar Square October 1918.jpg

We will remember them.
#4583907 - 10/29/21 06:01 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Shredward,

I shouldn't be surprised that you would immediately recall this historical reference. That photograph is new to me – outstanding! The only other photo I have seen of Trafalgar Square at this time didn't give nearly as good a feel for how comprehensive the makeover was. Thank you so much for posting!

Cheers,

Raine

#4583926 - 10/29/21 07:57 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Shredward - Fine picture

Fw Werner Rendel, EK2
Jasta 78b
Buhl Lorraine airfield

26 confirmed kills

29th October 1918

Morning sortie

Leutnant Schmid had already taken half a dozen DVII's out on a patrol across to the north of Luneville. This left Werner, Ludwig Reimann and Hans Jungwirth on alert.

The weather was still very good, so visibility was excellent. At about 8.50am the adjutant took a phone call. The next minute he was at the door of the office shouting to the three pilots that forward observers had reported aircraft heading this way.

At that moment a drone could be heard which grew ever louder. Werner shouted to the ground crews to start the engines. He jumped into his DVIIF just as the SPADs made a pass across the airfield, strafing the hangers as they went.

Werner was now racing down the airfield and into the air. He counted six....no...seven enemy aircraft. 'This was not going to be easy' thought Werner as he swung left towards the SPADs who now broke up.

The other two Fokkers began heading down the airfield as well as Werner stayed low, just above the trees, and nosed up onto an unsuspecting SPAD's tail. He blasted the Frenchman with a lengthy burst. The enemy aircraft tried to roll right but another accurate burst clearly tore his wires and left the aircraft spinning down into the ground.

Werner checked for another target and saw one nearby. As he was turning towards the enemy another SPAD fell past him on fire. Clearly the other two kameraden were having success too.

Werner came up onto the tail of the SPAD as it was trying to make a pass on the kasino building. He hammered the Frenchman who rolled left to try and get away. Werner had none of it though and went with him. Another good burst had the SPAD looping into the ground.

Werner saw another SPAD smashing into the trees and one who'd made the mistake of trying to escape across the airfield. It was getting pummelled by the airfield guns.

Werner finally saw a SPAD over to the right trying to climb out of reach. He came around and onto its tail. He fired an accurate burst into the enemy aircraft and as the SPAD shuddered, another flurry struck the pilot and left him fallen in his seat. The SPAD nosed down and smashed into the trees.

Finally the area was clear. Werner saw the two other Fokkers were seemingly ok and started his landing cycle.

All seven SPADs had been downed, Werner had three and the other two had one each, the ground crews had accounted for two.

A half hour later Leutnant Schmid and the others landed. They had seen nothing but were welcomed by plumes of smoke from the still smoldering wreckage.

"Well, it looks like you had a busier time than we did." Schmid said to Werner.

"You have no idea." replied Werner, smiling.

Afternoon sortie (awaiting two confirmations)

The afternoon jaunt was the whole Jasta heading down to St Die. The weather was still excellent and made flying a real pleasure as Werner took off with the others and headed south.

They'd been airborne for about 25 minutes when Werner saw flak bursts ahead and off to the right. Leutnant Schmid had seen them too and pulled the Jasta that way, throttling up.

As they neared they saw it was a flight of Breguets and Werner raced into them.

He blasted one as he flew past as the rest of the Jasta began picking targets. Werner turned and came around onto a Breguet's tail.

The enemy gunner tried to swat Werner away but the Dortmunder was too savy for him and stayed beneath the swaying tail. He nosed up and poured lead into the French two seater.

The Breguet lost power and height but aside from that was relatively stable. Werner had trouble not overshooting the slowing enemy aircraft so ducked underneath and came around again.

He lined up again and blasted the French aircraft which burst into flames. Werner could see the pilot was getting roasted and a few moments later the Breguet nosed down and went straight into the ground.

Werner now saw another Breguet ahead and a bit above him. He climbed up and before the Frenchman could evade, Werner was putting a lengthy burst into the cockpit and engine. The Breguet started spewing smoke and flames and went the same way as the first, straight into the ground with the poor pilot done for.

Werner couldn't see any more enemy aircraft so headed home.

As he landed several other Fokkers came in to land also. On reporting in, five Breguets had been downed, but it had come at a cost. Max Kinzig had been downed over enemy lines. He'd been seen to land but had French poilus heading towards him before he could go anywhere.

Despite this rather sobering news, the Jasta was in good spirits, at least he was alive and it had been another fine day for 78b.

Leutnant Schmid spoke with Werner later on. He happily confirmed the three SPADs in the morning as the Adjutant himself had put his name to them but the Breguets had been rejected. No-one had seen them. Werner was now on 29 confirmed kills.

"I have more news for you Werner. I had confirmation this evening from HQ, they have agreed with me that you should be hereby promoted to Leutnant." said Schmid.

Werner was agog.

Schmid laughed "Don't look so shocked junge. You are a natural leader and this morning's going on show it. You led the other two from the front by all accounts. Pilots several years your senior. They followed you without question. I need that.......Germany needs that!" confirmed Schmid.

Attached Files A1.jpgA2.jpgA3.jpgA4.jpgA5.jpgA6.jpgA7.jpgA8.jpgA9.jpgB1.jpgB2.jpgB3.jpgB4.jpgB5.jpg

#4583936 - 10/29/21 10:24 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Trafalgar Square, Awesome

#4583941 - 10/29/21 11:32 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Albert, perhaps the tombola is broken and the poor man has to do the work himself? Or, he just let them all go through without verifying any. Klaus has his hands full with those French machines. Good thing Werner is around to pick up some of the slack.
It looks like the French have decided to attack all German airfields at the same time. I do love those scramble missions. No need to go looking for the enemy. They come to you. You save on fuel that way. It looks like Werner, his wingmen and the Flak boys all shared in the spoils this morning. Then add two more in the afternoon. Shame about Max getting captured, but there is a silver lining. He will survive this war. Congrats on the promotion. Well earned!

29 October, 1918 09:45 morning mission
Montingen, Verdun Sector
Jasta 18
Fokker D.VII
164 confirmed kills

One of the SPADs from the morning and one from the afternoon have been confirmed.
Klaus and the rest of Jasta 18 were taking off when the SPADs arrived. They were well trained and they flew their mounts well, even close to the ground. Klaus was first to get on the tail of one and bring it down. A second one smacked a few rounds into his Fokker, but by doing so he overshot the German plane and now was in front to Raben’s guns. But was soon forgotten as Raben found a juicier target. This one followed the first SPAD down to the ground on fire. Klaus didn’t have time to check where the enemy had crashed. He already had another scout in his sights. The third one tried to get away by climbing above the melee, but that doesn’t work with a Fokker. He soon followed his compatriots down to crash into the woods.

YouTube Link

It took a while before Klaus spotted one last marauder trying to get across. Klaus was too close to let him get away. He was on him soon enough and firing. Then one of the Spandaus ran dry. He still had one left with who knows how many rounds remaining. He would have to make it count. Raben got closer to make sure he didn’t miss. He continued to punish the enemy, but his fire seemed ineffective. He eventually ran out of bullets on the second Spandau. He had to let the lucky Franzose go. A bitter taste in his mouth. He was disgusted with his poor marksmanship. He may as well been firing blanks.

YouTube Link

29 October, 1918 13:40 afternoon mission
Montingen, Verdun Sector
Jasta 18
Fokker D.VII
164 confirmed kills
Awaiting three claim confirmations

In the afternoon their orders were to support the ground forces between Nancy and Lunéville.
Klaus was following Schwarm Eins as they were heading for their first waypoint when he heard gunfire, he turned around to see a SPAD diving on his Schwarm. He reacted quickly and had the intruder in his sights. He knew the Franzose wasn’t alone and kept one eye out for the rest of the formation. For now he just wanted to punish this foe. His Spandaus introduced themselves to the enemy and continued to spit lead, but it didn’t seem Raben’s fire was making any damage. What was going on?! Finally the enemy plane went into a spin and didn’t recover. Raben was already chasing another one. This Frenchman was much easier. His wing separated from the rest of the plane and corkscrewed into the ground near Raben’s first victim. There were more machines to chase after and Klaus was presently doing just that, but as soon as he saw the enemy head straight into the sun, he knew they were running south, back home. He wasn’t going to waste more time on a pointless chase and turned his plane around.

YouTube Link

He was now flying straight back towards his airfield when he spotted one of the SPADs trying to sneak by at a lower altitude. That was the worst thing he could do. The Fokker dove to attack and barely caught up. Klaus had to open fire from further away than he wanted to keep the enemy from getting away. It worked and the SPAD was suckered into a fight. It wasn’t much of a fight and the enemy didn’t put up much resistance. Klaus brought him down with some well aimed bursts from further away, then brought his Fokker back to base.

YouTube Link

#4583952 - 10/30/21 12:13 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Fullofit - Those proper scramble missions are fun. That was Werner's first. It's a chance to fly and fight like a whirling dervish. Klaus needed his patience again there. Those SPADs seem to fall instantly or take an inordinate amount of damage first. That last one just didn't want to go. Still, it was a fine days work for the soon to be ex Kaiser's finest. As for Werner, I think he'd have preferred the Breguets to be confirmed, they are harder to bring down.

No flying for me for probably a week or so. RL has presented a chance to do some travelling. I'll catch up when I'm back and will try and keep tabs on developments from time to time.

#4583988 - 10/30/21 06:29 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Albert, agreed. There should be more low level airfield attacks to deal with. Currently most of the scramble missions start with the enemy waaay high above the airfield. That’s not scramble. That’s more like dodging falling explosives and where is that bloody top cover. I also agree those Bréguets are more of a challenge than the SPADs. Even without the advantage of the rear gunner’s rear cover they fly better than the flying bricks.
So a bit of a leave for Werner after getting promoted to Leutnant. Enjoy your trip and don’t be a stranger.

30 October, 1918 08:45 morning mission
Montingen, Verdun Sector
Jasta 18
Fokker D.VII
168 confirmed kills

Four SPADs from yesterday’s two outings have been confirmed.
There was a bit of a mist on the ground this morning for their patrol over enemy front lines near Malzeville. Klaus and his Schwarm were approaching Verny and he was settling in for the lengthy transit flight to Malzeville. He looked over his shoulder to check on the rest of the flight and luckily for him he noticed movement above. Something was diving on them and he reacted instantly, he turned his crate in time to avoid getting his tail feathers ruffled. It was an Airco. It screamed by and was coming around for a second pass, but Klaus was on him already. The Amerikaner tried to dive straight down to get away, but Raben kept up with him until his engine screamed for mercy. He had to relent, but the enemy was in similar situation and had to level out. The chase continued with several Fokkers trying to get in the way to steal the glory for themselves. Not so easy. Klaus persevered and in the end set the DH.4 on fire. He watched it go down and smash into the ground near some trees. He then gathered the rest of his Schwarm and continued with the mission.

YouTube Link

The rest of the flight was uneventful. It was only when they were approaching their airfield that the Flak started to go off. Everyone scrambled to find that something the boys on the ground were shooting at. It was a solitary SPAD that made more damage than an entire flight of them could ever have done. Two of the Fokkers collided. Poor Ltn Albion never made it. Künster was the lucky one and walked away from the wreck with a bleeding nose and a cut no his lip, some minor scrapes and bruises and a dusty flight suit. Another pair nearly collided as well. One of them almost collected Raben while avoiding another Fokker. The SPAD was now trying to leave the scene, but Klaus wouldn’t allow it. With his Fokker’s nose firmly in the up position he began to take lucky potshots at the enemy. He was particularly lucky when all of a sudden the enemy plane went into a spiralling dive and crashed into the ground. Everyone still flying made their way to the airfield to fill out the report.

YouTube Link

30 October, 1918 13:35 afternoon mission
Montingen, Verdun Sector
Jasta 18
Fokker D.VII
168 confirmed kills
Awaiting two claim confirmations

The call came in that the enemy machines were heading for Montingen. Only four machines were ready in time. Klaus spotted the large formation coming from the south. Some machines detached to mount their attack on the four Fokkers. Klaus turned into the sun to make aiming difficult for the enemy pilots. They came after Klaus anyway. They worked in pairs and as soon as Raben had one in his sights, another was on his tail. The other three Fokkers were of no help. Eventually Klaus was able to single out one of the SPADs and went after him. His plane was already damaged at this point and he had to be careful. That lower starboard wing didn’t look too great. The SPAD went into a steep dive. Klaus followed, but quickly backed off remembering his wing. The rest of the SPADs were gone now and Klaus thought it prudent to return home as well.

YouTube Link

He was south of Ars when the other half of the SPADs attacked. At first he only saw four dots behind him, where there should only have been three. He knew one of them was not like the others. He turned his injured bird around to lend a hand. More SPADs appeared out of nowhere. He was temporarily distracted by them, but seeing that for once they were not after him, he swooped down on the SPAD beneath him. Klaus was convinced he’d seen this particular machine before. He managed to damage it with his first burst. The enemy began to trail a faint ribbon of vapour or smoke. He continued to blast the enemy until the tan SPAD went into a spin and crashed below. Klaus found another SPAD soon enough and gingerly maneuvering his machine was able to get on his foe’s rear and punish him until both starboard wings came off and the Franzose followed them in his stricken machine. There were still more SPADs around. Klaus was following one and taking long range shots at it. The enemy desperately wanted to leave the fight but with Raben’s guns being able to reach him anywhere, the enemy had to stay and fight. Finally one of the Spandaus ceased to sing and Klaus knew it was time to go. Regrettably he had to abandon his pursuit and turn for home. The rest of his flight was already making their way there.

YouTube Link

#4583999 - 10/30/21 08:26 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
NotRelevant Offline
NotRelevant  Offline

Alas, I'm afraid the situation has overcame me a tad and thus I was unable to find the time to catch up in due time, and at this point it is admittely far too late for that. Which is why I shall unfortunately drop out. Nonetheless, it will be entertaining to read and catch up with the things up to now for all of you. Perhaps if something of this sort starts up ever again in the future, I will be able to join in properly without issue! And if not, well, I'm sure I'll still be around.

Nonetheless, good luck to those still alive on the home stretch. Not long now, the end of the war is practically in sight.

"Those who survive a long time on the battlefield start to think they're invincible.
I bet you do, too, Buddy."
#4584058 - 10/31/21 03:08 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
NR, good to see you around. Too bad you won’t be able to bring your pilot across the finish line. Still, it was a good practice for that “next” DiD in the future. Stop by from time to time and enjoy that drink and a scone Lou so readily offers.

31 October, 1918 09:45
Montingen, Verdun Sector
Jasta 18
Fokker D.VII
171 confirmed kills

Three SPADs have been confirmed. The Airco on fire has not.
Schwarm Zwei was sent to patrol friendly front lines near Marbache, while Schwarm Eins remained grounded due to petrol shortages. The seven Fokkers were opposed by a force of eight SPADs over the No-Man’s Land, just east of Marbache. The Germans were just a tad higher than their adversaries and thus had the upper hand. The French put up a tough fight going into the battle with guns blazing, but Klaus skirted the main force and as soon as the SPADs went by he swooped down on the tail of one of them. He introduced himself and made the enemy pay. The Franzose went down out of control. Klaus didn’t follow, he already had another SPAD in his sights, but it didn’t last long, as he was now himself being targeted. Enemy rounds ripped through the port side lower wing. Raben disengaged and shook his pursuer off. He kept him in sight and eventually got on his tail after a few rounds of circling each other around. Klaus sent his hate the enemy’s way and had him spinning soon after. The stricken SPAD took a long time to come down and crash below.

YouTube Link

The skies were becoming empty at this point, but Klaus was able to spot another fight still going on. This latest SPAD was already damaged and trailing smoke. All Klaus had to do was to send a short squirt into the enemy to make him spin and smash into the ground soon after. All the enemy planes have been chased away. It was time to get back home.
Later that evening the news of one confirmed SPAD reached Raben.

YouTube Link

End of month stats:

Jasta 18
Montingen, Verdun Sector
Fokker D.VII

200 missions
158.77 hrs
172 victories
316 claims

#4584061 - 10/31/21 04:28 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
NotRelevant Offline
NotRelevant  Offline

Fullofit- Alas, it is a misfortune but what can one do I suppose. And yeah. Certainly is practice in case anything of the sort might ever happen in the future, hah. Reckon a drink and scones would definitely be good right now.

I see Klaus is still kicking and doing quite well for himself it seems. Good on that. 172 victories, dear lord. Now only to carry those to the end of the war.

"Those who survive a long time on the battlefield start to think they're invincible.
I bet you do, too, Buddy."
#4584147 - 11/01/21 04:09 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

Apologies for my absence over the last week, gents. RL has kept me away from my computer and all things WOFF. I am hoping to get back to it here in the next day or two and will get caught up with the gong fairy tasks as well as Freddy's flying. Glad to see you all have been keeping up the good fight. We're getting close!

#4584157 - 11/01/21 04:51 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
NR, I see Lou’s around so you’re in good hands when it comes to that drink and scones.

Lou, glad you’re coming to your senses. Enough of this vacationing. Time to get back to work.

Gentlemen, we’re in the homestretch. Stop screwing around with the nurses and get your butts in the air. That’s an order!

1 November, 1918 08:00
Montingen, Verdun Sector
Jasta 18
Fokker D.VII
172 confirmed kills

The episode where Klaus goes in circles a lot.

This morning there was only one thing everyone was talking about. The disappearance of the Ars aerodrome. The Airfield had been located mere kilometres south of Montingen and each pilot knew exactly its location as they overflew it on each mission. It was now suddenly gone, as if an invisible hand of God of War himself erased it.
The Jasta was sent on patrol of friendly front lines near Thiaucourt. They lost Künster with engine trouble right after take off. Last they have seen him, he was turning back towards the aerodrome, trailing thick black smoke. Only Klaus, August and Müler were left. They were nowhere near the Front yet when Klaus noticed his wingmen were not flying behind him. They were engaged in a fight with a SPAD. He knew where there is one, there is more. He spotted them above, but he went after the lone one trying to at least damage it before the rest comes down. He didn’t get the chance. The Frenchmen attacked first. He avoided the brunt of it and in the next few seconds of confusion Klaus was able to get on the tail of one of them. As soon as he opened fire he saw tracers zipping by him from behind. He had to disengage and take care of his assailant. They went round and round each other with Klaus hoping the enemy quickly losing speed and height, but this one was an old hand and Raben’s strategy wasn’t working. He flicked his Fokker the other way and that did the trick. He was soon on the tail of his target and pumping it full of lead. The French machine spun round and round and round to the ground.

YouTube Link

Klaus looked around and saw Müller being chased by another SPAD. He fired at it as the Franzose went by, but this enemy pilot was determined and continued chasing Raben’s wingman. By the time Klaus caught up with them again, poor Müller was already spinning down. The SPAD driver noticed Klaus approach and faced him. The head on pass was not Raben’s finest moment. He missed completely, but at least he had the enemy on the run and was soon behind him. A prolonged series of volleys into the SPAD’s fuselage had him falling down in a flat spin. The French pilot attempted to recover, but he was too low. He smashed into the ground, close to Müller’s wreck.

YouTube Link

#4584166 - 11/01/21 05:26 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Ars was bombed to oblivion. I think Klaus can't tell his Ars from a hole in the ground...

Page 356 of 366 1 2 354 355 356 357 358 365 366

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM