Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 352 of 366 1 2 350 351 352 353 354 365 366
#4582635 - 10/15/21 12:42 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) ***** [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Achtung!

[Linked Image]

It is the Kaiser's Royal and Imperial command that the following individual be recognized for his valor:

[Linked Image]

You make the Vaterland most proud.

#4582661 - 10/15/21 04:02 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Lou - Many thanks for Werner's gong, he'll be as careful as you can be in October 1918. As for Freddy, well done on the confirmed claims even if the balloons weren't. Shame about Hawley.

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4582671 - 10/15/21 06:20 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Albert – Thoroughly enjoying Werner’s tales. He is racking up a very credible bag in the air while doing considerable damage on the ground. Your pictures of his ground targets are very well done. Congratulations on your first visit from the Gong Fairy!

Fullofit – It didn’t take Klaus long to make his presence felt when he returned to the front. Losing a toe has not affected his ability to kick the enemy where it hurts. By the way, he was wise to skip Nietzsche. Much better to wait for the film.

Lou – Thanks for keeping the Gong Fairy attentive. Freddie does not seem to be slackening off as the war’s conclusion is coming into view. Six claims in a day! Good thing they only confirmed four of them – I hear that Hancocks & Co are starting to run low on old bronze for new gongs and bars and stuff.

Carrick – Outstanding stuff! Congratulations to Cecil on becoming a double ace.

Epower – Your end of month stats for September were breathtaking. More than 500 hours of combat flying and 190 confirmed victories. OBD will have to invent another setting in the Workshop for your claims – “Say no to everything.” Oh, wait a minute – perhaps that one already exists. Condolences on your move to Cappy. If I recall correctly that place was a bit of a featureless hole.

I have been struggling to catch up since I took a week off when my boys visited again in September. I’m finally up-to-date but I won’t be able to get back to WOFF until Monday. Oh well…

Best of luck to everyone!

Journal of Lieutenant Robert Fergus Drummond, DFC
32 Squadron, Royal Air Force
La Bellevue, France

Part 16

[Linked Image]
"A burst of Vickers and Lewis from very close range ripped away a large piece of the Fokker’s tail."

On 11 October, thanks to an influx of new men, we were finally able to put up a squadron show. Orders were for a distant offensive patrol that would take us over Lens and the Hun aerodromes to the north of that town. Zink led us in B Flight and we brought along Hale and several members of A Flight. C Flight followed behind and above to provide us cover. For the first time the ack emmas fastened the single streamer to my rudder signifying that I would be the second-in-command of our flight.

Our wet weather continued this day. A fine, wet mist covered the countryside like a semitransparent veil. My mother had always referred to this as a “Scotch mist.” As we lifted off from La Bellevue, droplets streamed from our goggles. Every few seconds I had to turn my head to one side and lean into the slipstream to let the wind blow the water away. We circled over Doullens and climbed up to 12,000 feet before heading northeast to the lines. Zink waggled his wings and turned due east into the sun. By holding a thumb up to block the sun, I could just make out a cluster of dots heading in our direction. We climbed a little to the southeast so that we were no longer blinded. The dots now resolved themselves into a gaggle of Rumpler two-seaters. We closed the distance to them but were still about a mile off when the Huns spotted us and turned away, diving for home. We followed them for about fifteen miles until we found ourselves over the northern part of Douai. There Zink had the good sense to turn us back toward Lens and our assigned patrol area. The Huns were not coming out to play this morning and, after an hour of parading back and forward and dragging our coat, we headed home for breakfast.

The afternoon was more of an adventure. Zink led us again into Hunland, this time directly to the area around Douai. Callender was leading another, larger, line patrol farther north with five pilots fresh from the pool. There were only five of us in our flight and all were experienced. We crossed the line and were approaching Vitry when MacBean spotted Huns approaching from the north. Although they were still a mile or two off, it was clear that they were Fokkers and that there were plenty of them! They were in two clusters with at least sixteen EA in total. Fortunately, Zink had the good sense to put about and head back over the lines. As we raced westward the Huns put down their noses and chased after us. My engine was not running smoothly and I trailed behind the others. As we dropped below the clouds and passed over our balloon lines, I could see only one Fokker still following. I continued diving westward until I was well past Arras and down to 3000 feet. At that point, I made a sweeping turn to the south and came back to meet my Hunnish friend. The German was good, but I believe that I caused some damage in one of our early head-on passes, as I got behind the EA without too much trouble. It was a mottled grey colour – one of those lozenge patterns the Huns are so fond of. A burst of Vickers and Lewis from very close range ripped away a large piece of the Fokker’s tail. It fell a few miles west of Arras and exploded.

Less than five minutes later, just as our aerodrome was coming into view in the distance, I noticed an SE dancing about the sky a few thousand feet above and ahead of me. The reason soon became clear. It was George Lawson and he was scrapping with another Fokker who had been bold enough to follow him nearly all the way home. Scarcely had I spotted the German when his machine spun past me in a near-vertical dive. I half-rolled and followed the Hun down. As I expected, the Fokker levelled out near the ground. The pilot was looking back over his left shoulder to see where Lawson was and never noticed that I was creeping up behind him. This machine had the same mottled pattern on its wings, but the body was slate grey and there was a star painted on the side of the fuselage. My first burst set the poor fellow alight and the machine fell just three miles east of La Bellevue.

[Linked Image]
"My first burst set the poor fellow alight…"

Both Fokkers were witnessed by Lawson and I was delighted to get confirmations, bringing my total bag to 21. My happiness was dampened, however, by the news that Callender’s flight had run into two squadrons of Fokkers and had lost four of our five new men.

With our numbers down and most of our machines in the sheds for repair, 32 Squadron did not fly on 12 October. On 13 October, I joined Hale’s flight for a line patrol north of Arras. Our patrol was uneventful until we were ready to turn home. At that point, we saw a scrap below us between about eight Fokkers and a half dozen Bristols. We dived to the rescue and chased the Huns off. I managed to get behind one of them and send it down three miles northeast of Mont Saint Eloi. Hale witnessed this one and it became my twenty-second.

The afternoon patrol was a genuine thrill. Captain Zink told me to go out to my SE5 after lunch and to check it over. I had no idea what his concern was until I got to the hangar. There the mechanics were grinning and whispering to one another. It struck me like lightning – two pale blue streamers were hanging from the outer struts of my machine! Finally, after nearly four months at the front, I would be appointed as a patrol leader. When it was time to brief the flight at our hangar, it was all I could do to avoid stuttering. The plan was simple, another line patrol north of Arras. As was our custom, we climbed to altitude over Doullens and headed northeast to Arras. Above the rain squalls and cloud, the sun shone intensely and the cold gradually seeped in through our layers of clothes. We patrolled our beat north and south a half-dozen times before I spotted a V shaped formation of Hun two-seaters coming from the direction of Monchy. We turned toward them. They spotted us quickly and ran for home. We gave chase and were very slowly gaining on the Huns when we noticed a very large group of enemy scouts approaching from the north. There had to be at least fifteen of them. Seconds later we saw an equally large group of enemy scouts approaching from the south. With the odds approaching 30 to 5, I concluded my heroic first patrol by giving the signal to run away!

On 14 October, we were back in the same area near Arras. This time Zink was in the lead and we ran into several DFWs that were crossing into our territory. It had been a while since I’d had a good scrap with a two-seater. I took some chances I should have avoided and picked up some bullet holes in my machine. Still, I managed to unload a drum of Lewis and a hundred rounds of Vickers into one of the Huns. The stubborn fellow kept flying away despite this! I then saw another DFW circling away from Bogart Rogers’ machine. I dived on it and my first burst caused the Hun observer to disappear into his cockpit. My next burst set the machine into a vertical dive over the German lines. With machine gun and rifle rounds starting to crackle past, it was time to head west and go home.

[Linked Image]
"My next burst set the machine into a vertical dive over the German lines."

This Hun, unfortunately, remained unconfirmed.

Attached Files Kill 20.jpgKill 21.jpgDFW nosedive.jpg
#4582675 - 10/15/21 06:49 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Fullofit - Great to see Klaus out of hospital and away from the healing, if invasive touch of Hans. Toe is a small sacrifice for the Kaiser and the Fatherland.
Once again the lethal pas de deux with Entente 2 seaters. Those incoming tracers sure do make it exciting but I suppose Klaus is beyond fear now. Slouching toward Sesquicenturion status. Excellent work.

Albert - Werner's personal vendetta against Entente infrastructure continues. Some considerable destruction there documented with some lovely pics. The Schlasta cook is definitely a keeper. I'm hungry now after that image of the stew.
Iron Cross! H & B! Beware the cigar ash and tulle. You know the drill. Actually for your men it's the romance part that seems to get them. See? Look what happened to poor Messerer. Stay celibate, Stay focused, young Werner.

Carrick - Good show, Cecil! Ten now, and as Albert observed, on Ten/Ten. I think an X on the Camel might be appropriate. I say! Cecil sure did the job on that Hannover. Excellent picture of the fallen with the flamer in the background.

Lou - Freddy bowls the Huns for a Golden Duck!, or is it battling a six? Brilliant either way. Then he follows it up with another rampage. Looks like that bottle of scotch sent up to the Claims office did its work. Unfortunate about poor Hawley.
Glad you're back from RL hiatus.

Raine - Almost a spot of phony war for 32 Sqn, at least for now. I suspect things will pick up shortly. Nine claims in a row denied! Outrageous. At least the streak got broken before poor Fergie hit double digits. Streak going the other way now. Two nice victories and confirmation, and...promotion! Congrats all around.
Just saw the latest installment. 22 confirmed now but good lord the butcher's bill was high. 4 of 5 in their first week. Brutal.
A narrow escape. The Huns seem to be putting up huge flights in hope of attacking with numerical superiority. Fergie did well to get his flight out of that looming trap unscathed. I think the Huns are installing armor on their observation machines now. The blasted things are bullet sponges.

#4582677 - 10/15/21 07:17 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

À la Recherche du Temps Perdu - Part 108

1 October 1918
No. 24 Squadron RAF
Cappy, France

Balloon strafes all morning. The Huns put up fierce anti-aircraft fire and winched their dirigibles safely down with amazing speed. Naught to show for a hard morning’s work. Geraghty fired on a parachuting observer, ventilating the canopy, and hastening the Hun’s descent. With luck the fellow broke a leg.

Tomorrow we shall have these wretched gasbags!

More low attacks and strafing this afternoon. All aircraft and pilots back safely.

2 October 1918
No. 24 Squadron RAF
Cappy, France

7.00 B and C Flights up for the dawn strike on the marshaling yards north of Busigny. I went with Barton and C Flight in the strike group. Longton and B Flight flew high cover.

[Linked Image]
No. 24 Squadron on a fine October morning

[Linked Image]
Left the marshaling yard ablaze then set off in search of new mischief

[Linked Image]
MG nest dealt with; the advance could continue.

Finished my report then saw Hazell and A Flight off at 10.00. Their mission: Destroy the Kaiser’s balloons.
Giving the bag a good hiding passes the worrisome time waiting for a patrol. Up to an hour now but I’m not yet back to where I was before those Greentails shot me. We’re not done, Jasta 5 and I. There will be a final reckoning.

A flight returned after a successful outing. Hazel and Sterling each sent a balloon down in flames. Barton and Geraghty teamed up to destroy a third.

All three balloons confirmed. The squadron tally for this year now stands at 198.
Colonel Cairnes telephoned passing on the thanks of IX corps commander for destroying the balloons. He also gave warning that we will move to Bouvincourt sometime in the next few days.

Caught up on the latest Comic Cuts…

[Linked Image]
Freddy has the VC! I stood the squadron to a round of drinks and we drank his health.

I must drop in on him sometime. If only he were closer than Fienvillers.

3 October 1918
No. 24 Squadron RAF
Cappy, France

Sent Lt. Young, our Equipment Officer and Sgt. Major Schofield to Bouvincourt to scout the new location.

9.00 A & C flights would pay a call on the Hun aerodrome at Liermont, then separate.
C Flight attacking ground targets, A Flight hunting balloons.

[Linked Image]
Not our best work on the aerodrome. No sense wasting bullets on an empty landing ground.

More important targets beckoned.

[Linked Image]
I don’t know how my bullets missed the machine gunners. Powerful gods protect the Huns as well.

We traded lead twice to no effect. On my third pass through the lists I missed once again. The Boche made no vain cast. Climbing away, a metallic clank sounded in the engine. The acrid smell of radiator water filled my nostrils as steam poured out of the engine.

Throttled back and with a weather eye on the rising temperature gauge, I made for Moislans aerodrome and landed just as the Wolseley seized up tight.

Major Donald Fasken Stevenson, OC No. 20 Squadron gave me use of the telephone then treated me to an excellent breakfast of bacon, eggs, a deliciously creamy dish of roasted potatoes, and scones with a local berry jam. The good company and delicious meal swept away any dark thoughts toward the flieger of Jasta 5. There would be time enough for that later.

Corporal Chorley arrived in the Shelsley along with a repair crew in a lorry. I was back at Cappy by 11.00.

B Flight flew the early afternoon patrol. A brief fight over enemy lines. Barton dove a Fokker down damaged. Nobody saw it crash so it remained indecisive. Worse, Carpenter did not return. Nobody saw him go down. I can only hope he force landed and was made prisoner.

A Flight had the evening patrol. Sterling is dead.

He was flying with Southey, shooting up transports at Villers Outreau.

Southey’s face was grim as I pressed him for the details.

“After we strafed ground targets for awhile, I climbed to 3000 feet, Sterling following below me. An archie unit fired one shell which burst just below his aircraft. He must have been killed instantly. His machine dropped suddenly, nose first, and crashed into a trench.”

[Linked Image]

I shall have little sleep tonight. Sterling dead. Carpenter down in Hunland, fate unknown. I do hate writing these letters.

4 October 1918
No. 24 Squadron RAF
Cappy, France

Major O’Hara Wood of 46 Sqn. died today in a collision with Lt. Saunders 14,000 feet over St. Quentin. A disastrous time for 46 to lose their Commanding officer and a seasoned pilot.

B flight Southey & Crossen each drove a Hun down damaged. Unfortunately, neither Hun was seen to crash and were not confirmed. Hazell crashed two Fokkers east of Beaurevoir. Both confirmed. 200 Victories for 1918! I thought it appropriate that it was Hazell who scored the 200th.

At last, something to celebrate.

Colonel Cairnes was our guest for dinner. He made a fine speech of congratulation for the Squadron’s 200th Hun.

5 October 1918
No. 24 Squadron RAF
Cappy, France

Continued preparations for the move to Bouvincourt made for a busy day. Patrols continue. More low attacks.

Change of plans at the last minute from 22nd Wing. We will move tomorrow but to Athies, not Bouvincourt. Red Tabs! All that advanced preparation wasted. We’re behind now and the other ranks will burn the midnight oil to be ready.

6 October 1918
No. 24 Squadron RAF
Athies, France

Our new home. Menzies struck his face on the gun butt during a rough landing and is off to hospital. No other incidents. We’re short of pilots as it is.
We need to settle in and get flying quickly. Fourth Army's drive toward Le Cateau begins in two days.

Last edited by epower; 01/31/22 02:13 PM.
#4582679 - 10/15/21 07:51 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Vzfw Werner Rendel
Schlasta 7
Toulis airfield

5 confirmed kills (2 awaiting confirmation)

15th October 1918

Just after breakfast, Feldwebel Messerer's body was returned covered in the Imperial flag.

A funeral for this afternoon had been arranged and the body was placed in one of the hangers.

During yesterday evening Werner had come to a decision, he would write to Inge. She deserved to know the truth and unless she was down as Messerer's next of kin she'd probably never find out. Werner had already checked with the adjutant and Messerer's next of kin was down as his father.

Just before the briefing Werner went over to the hanger. He stood there for a moment and then pulled back the flag covering Messerer's body. Werner checked Messerer's jacket and sure enough, the picture of Inge was there. Werner checked the back and sure enough, there was an address on the back. A farm way up north....it had to be the place.

"Ruhe in frieden meine freund." said Werner, gently replacing the flag over Messerer's ashen grey face.

Morning sortie

The replacement officer had not yet arrived so Werner took the briefing once more. The mission was an attack of the airfield at Saint Mard.

The weather was good again as Werner and the rest got airborne and headed south.

The journey went quietly until they came up towards the airfield when the ground fire opened up. Werner signalled to attack and nosed down towards the hangers. Kaisenberg was ready and dropped his bombs at regular intervals. Werner rolled around and watched as the bombs hit one hanger, took apart another and wrecked a storage shed.

The rest of the Schlasta did their own damage and then formed up and headed home.

While they had been out the new officer had arrived, Oberleutnant Theodor Hoeffner was 25 and from Ternitz, Austria. He'd spent four years in the K.u.K, Luftfahrtruppen before being seconded to the Luftstreitkräfte in July 1918.

Afternoon sortie

Hoeffner took the afternoon briefing and introduced himself. He thanked Werner for his efforts leading the flights (which Werner thought was a nice touch). The sortie was to be the lines near Autreville to look for any targets they could find.

The weather remained good as the aircraft took off and headed south east.

Werner, on Hoeffner's left, kept a keen eye on the skies around and also on his new CO who thankfully flew very tidily.

The flak opened up bang on schedule. Hoeffner signalled to split up and Werner went towards the lines. Kaisenberg was on his mark and the bombs blew a line of trench to pieces.

Then Werner flew along one of the roads leading towards the lines and sure enough, he spotted a column of trucks and transports.

He lined up and sped down to about 500 feet. Kaisenberg dropped the cargo bang on the money and several trucks went up in flames or were left immobile wrecks.

As Werner climbed back up he saw what looked like several aircraft coming across the lines. There were two SPADs and then another a bit behind the others.

Werner dived down and snook up behind the unknowing SPAD. He blasted the Frenchman who's terrified expression as he turned around said it all. He'd been caught with his pants down. Another burst from Werner smacked into the SPAD who now started spewing smoke and losing height.

Werner managed another burst into him and was sure he'd hit the pilot. The SPAD touched down and somehow avoided the craters before coming to a stop. As Werner flew just above him he saw the pilot clearly slumped backwards in his cockpit.

Werner now scarpered and formed up with the rest of the Schlasta who had now finished their attacks.

They arrived back safely and Werner went off to clean up and submit his report.

Once everyone was cleaned up and ready, Feldwebel Messerer was laid to rest, a small and sombre service.

Later on Oberleutnant Hoeffner called Werner to his office. "Ahh Werner, good to see you again. Well done today, that was a fine performance." said Hoeffner.

"Thank you sir, we did our best." said Werner.

"Indeed. I have news about your outstanding claims. You already had two ongoing apparently? These are confirmed. Unfortunately the one from this afternoon couldn't be certified. That brings you to seven? A fantastic effort in a Hannover meine freund." continued Hoeffner.

"Thank you sir, I've been lucky so far, I'll keep plugging away if they give me the chance." said Werner.

"It has nothing to do with luck Vizefeldwebel, you are clearly a fine pilot. I'll have begging letters from needy Jasta's in no-time. I also have this from HQ....... I'll be brief.....it is awarding you the Eisernes Kreuz Zwei Klasse!" continued Hoeffner.

Werner was delighted.

"It just so happens I have one of them here with me. Please accompany me to the kasino so I can make the award in front of the Schlasta." finished Hoeffner.

Attached Files A1.jpgA2.jpgA3.jpgA4.jpgB1.jpgB2.jpgB3.jpgB4.jpgB5.jpgScreenshot_20211015-191330~2.png

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4582683 - 10/15/21 08:56 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Raine - Fergie is finally on the march again and getting confirmations for his efforts. Not just confirmations of kills but confirmation from those in charge as to his efforts, finally he has been made flight commander. Not before time and a nice play by the CO. Talking of the CO he seems to have his head screwed on thankfully, fight when you can, run when you can't....and 30 to 5! Where's Billy Barker when you need him. As for Werner, he's taking his chances but not taking 'too' many risks.....in air combat anyway.

Epower - Plenty of balloon busting and ground pounding for Oliver and co. A wonderful picture of the blazing marshalling yards. Cairnes does seem a solid fellow, although they need to stop messing around with these squadron moves, does nothing for the pilot's psyche. Some painful losses for 24, inevitable I suppose at this stage but doubly troubling for the CO who has to write the letter. An engine fail with some excellent trimmings there, what a feast! Courtesy of 20 squadron. Finally the move happens but ouch! Not the welcome poor Menzies wanted. As for Werner. He's enjoying a good run and the ground pounding is good fun and breaks up the missions nicely. Funny enough by flying around at 5000 feet or lower we seems to be forcing any attackers down to us. As we know, the SPADs aren't great at lower altitudes, especially when having to turn. Werner has no intentions of romance but fate knows how to take 'good intentions' and tear them up.

#4582690 - 10/16/21 12:39 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Albert, Klaus is still able to keep up with those SPADs, but just. Any more and he’ll have his hands full. And the bionic rear gunners just add to the problem.
A grim business for Werner with the Reichskriegsflagge, but it had to be done if Inge were to be informed of her fiancé’s death.
So, a new CO arrives while Werner’s away on his aerodrome busting mission. An Austrian, eh? Look out for those. These boys are very ambitious, especially those that part their hair to the left.
Then another fine performance in the afternoon, dropping your eggs on the unsuspecting convoy and catching a Frenchman napping. It is a rare thing, but somehow Werner managed it.
Congrats on receiving the most Teutonic of awards. If Rendel ever runs out of bombs, he can toss the Iron Cross at the enemy and do some proper damage. Remember to aim at some Major or a Colonel.

Lou, a good day for Freddy bagging 4/6 kills, but the claims office knows claiming balloons as targets of opportunity is not allowed in DiD. Denying them was the right call.

Raine, Klaus has to make up lost time. The rest of the Jasta has not claimed a single enemy plane during his absence. It’s all up to him. Missing toe or not.
An eventful few days for Drummond. Finally getting his claims confirmed. Losing most of the replacements, smartly avoiding a large scrap with far superior enemy numbers. Robert is becoming one smart flight leader.

Epower, Klaus gladly sacrifices his toe for Vaterland. As to Hans, let’s just say he’s a fan of a different kind of deep immersion.
Looks like moving mud is Oliver’s bread and butter these days. This and gasbags. Then for a change of pace a transfer to the new digs. Oliver better send a letter to Eliza with the new address. A lovely catch-up. Only a week to current events. Looks like Winningstad has finally found his lost time.

15 October, 1918 08:00
Montingen, Verdun Sector
Jasta 18
Rittmeister Klaus Gustav Raben RAO AO PLM HHO EK1 EK2
Fokker D.VII
148 confirmed kills

A SPAD and a Bréguet from yesterday have become Raben’s latest confirmed kills.
It was more of the same - patrol enemy front lines near Malzeville. They didn’t get far. A large formation intercepted the Schwarm near Verny. Enemy planes took their time deciding how to approach their prey below, which currently was circling below, snarling and waiting for the French to come down. Klaus kept close to the main group, shielding himself from any attacks. The SPADs came down in drips and dribbles. Were they afraid of collisions if diving en masse? Klaus preferred it this way. He had room to manoeuvre. The SPAD numbers among the Fokkers were getting thicker and Raben could finally sink his teeth into them. He dove on one, which soon became two. He temporarily switched targets to fire and the second SPAD then continued after his original target. The enemy was skilled and after getting hit a few times proceeded south to get across the lines. Klaus followed but was getting left behind. He used his sniping skills to convince the enemy to stay and fight. The Franzose obliged after getting hit again. The two had a little scuffle, with Raben coming out on top. That SPAD took a lot of beating but in the end smashed into a field while Klaus helped him to get there every bit of the way.

YouTube Link

On his way back to the base Klaus spotted another SPAD in the distance that had forgotten himself and followed the Fokkers to the airfield. Klaus closed the trap and made Swiss cheese out of the scurrying biplane. He returned back to base after making sure the Franzose went down.

YouTube Link

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4582700 - 10/16/21 09:29 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Fullofit - Two confirmations for Klaus taking him to 148. Just two more for a fantastic 150. The SPADs arrive to provide the opportunity but that first one had a bit about him, but he made the fatal error of turning to fight again as Klaus sniped at him. Once he'd did that he was toast and despite his best efforts he ended up brown bread. Then, just as Klaus was thinking that's his lot for today, another SPAD hoves into view. Loafing around near an enemy airfield is not a recipe for success, in fact it's crackers and Klaus tore cobs out of him before he rolled down into the ground. Could they be 149 and 150? Over to the claims man. As for Werner, it's not a nice thing to have to do but as you say, it seemed the right thing. Does he know what he's let himself in for though, he has a very hard letter to write now. As for the new CO, he seems a reasonable sort.

#4582719 - 10/16/21 04:21 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Albert, 150 is close, but Klaus won’t know it as there is no news of any confirmations today. Perhaps tomorrow.
Yes, those SPAD drivers don’t know when to quit and they never learn. Those that do get away are the most frustrating, but also the most intelligent. Those that aren’t, follow the enemy to their home field and end up as a scorch mark on the ground.
As for Werner, writing “I regret to inform you” letters are never easy. A good practice when he himself becomes Schlasta commander. Writing to the dead man’s fiancé, who otherwise may never learn her man’s fate is honourable. Rendel is good people.

16 October, 1918 07:45
Montingen, Verdun Sector
Jasta 18
Fokker D.VII
148 confirmed kills
Awaiting two claim confirmations

Still no word on the claims made yesterday.
The orders for today are to support the ground forces between south of Pont-à-Mousson and Malzeville.
Schwarm Zwei never had the chance to get to their patrol area. They were sitting in their planes waiting for the engines to come up to temperature, when the SPADs arrived and began to attack the airfield. Klaus was the first to get off the ground and in pursuit of the enemy. Or so he thought. One of the marauders swooped down from above, but Raben spotted him in time. They started their dance and Klaus came out on top with his foe plunging to earth in flames. He then found another one of the Frenchmen. Flak was very helpful today in showing Klaus the way. He soon had the enemy on the run and this one too went down near the other crater. Now Klaus looked again for he was still hungry for more kills. There was more Flak and Raben followed it. He could see at least two more scraps going on. He picked one, but soon realized he’d simply be wasting time chasing after an enemy in a faster plane. Instead he switched to another target that was being harassed over the airfield. He was on him in a matter of seconds and pummelling it without mercy. The Flak batteries also had him zeroed in and made it a contest to see who’s going to get the last word. The SPAD corkscrewed into the ground and Klaus could now see the last SPAD being chased right towards him. He had no trouble placing the enemy in his crosshairs and take shot after shot into plane desperately attempting to run away. It was all for naught. Klaus brought him down with his final rounds. Both Spandaus were empty and it was time to land.

YouTube Link

#4582729 - 10/16/21 07:05 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Fullofit - Klaus is still waiting on the confirmations so what does he do? He knocks down four SPADs who dare to stray on his patch. Now the claims board have a backlog to deal with when Mr claims board is busy packing up his tombola. Once those SPADs slow down they are spandau fodder and Klaus took care of them easily. As for Werner, it's not going to be an easy letter.....they say sorry seems to be the hardest word.....I think sorry is a piece of p!ss compared to 'your boyfriend is dead and buried in a field'.

#4582734 - 10/16/21 08:24 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Vzfw Werner Rendel, EK2
Schlasta 7
Toulis airfield

7 confirmed kills

16th October 1918

Werner woke and got dressed, as he moved around the tent he continually kicked the many crumpled pieces of paper that littered the floor where he had thrown them as he had been trying to write the letter to Inge.....he would try again later.

Morning sortie

OLt Hoeffner took the briefing and confirmed that the Schlasta would be heading west of Autreville to attack the lines and transports.

The weather was still decent but more clouds had rolled in and the winds had picked up considerably.

Werner got in the air and formed up on Hoeffner's right and the formation headed south west.

The trip out went without incident and eventually the lines came into view, and the accompanying flak made itself known.

Hoeffner signalled to attack and Werner peeled away and headed for the lines. Kaisenberg released two pairs of bombs as the line of trenches passed underneath the fuselage.

The aircraft banked and the intrepid pair watched as they struck almost directly on the trench lines which collapsed.

Werner levelled and headed beyond the lines towards the roads. After a few minutes patrolling around he spotted a column of enemy transports.

He headed over and made sure Kaisenberg was ready. Kaisenberg dropped the remaining bombs and again the aircraft banked so they could watch the outcome. The first pair destroyed a truck at the back of the column however the final pair failed to explode.

Content but frustrated, Werner headed back to the others and together they headed home.

Afternoon sortie

Werner had put on his report that two of the bombs had been duds and mentioned it to the ground crews.

Hoeffner took the afternoon briefing and explained that they would be returning to the area west of Autreville to attack again.

The weather however had closed in, the clouds of the morning had formed into massive rainclouds and the wind made the whole experience of taking off very unpleasant.

They headed south west again and reached the front once more without incident. The instructions this time were to concentrate on the trench lines and Werner nosed down to barely 1500 feet and slowed right down. Kaisenberg did the rest and dropped the bombs bang on target again.

This time the trenches erupted in earth and flames, then again and again. Far more satisfied this time, Werner formed up with the rest and they began the journey home.

As they were nearing Toulis, Kaisenberg suddenly yelled out "Richtig brechen! Jetzt!".

Werner followed the call and now saw a Breguet zooming past him. The French gunner tried to fire up into Werner's machine but he rolled out of the way and fired himself as the large french machine flew past his nose.

Werner skillfully stayed behind the Breguet who was trying to throw him off. He put burst after burst into the Frenchman who started losing power and height.

Werner nosed under the Breguet and Kaisenberg put a devastating burst up into the engine and fuselage. The engine seized solid and the Breguet went down and went straight into a large tree.

Werner checked around but couldn't see any more enemy aircraft so set himself up to land.

He went to make his report. No-one had directly seen his Breguet fall and the nearby flak were taking an interest so OLt Hoeffner said he'd have to wait to find out about any confirmation.

After dinner, Werner went to work on his letter.

Frl Inge Horsfeld
Hansens Bauernhof
Feldmark
Nr Harrislee
Deutschland

Dear Inge,

I am writing this letter as I have some painful and distressing news for you. You're fiancee, Edgar Messerer has been killed in action, flying alongside myself in Schlasta 7.

I'm dreadfully sorry if that was abrupt but I simply couldn't find another way of breaking it to you. I have been trying to write this letter for hours and continually struggling to come up with the words. So I thought it best to be straight with you.

Edgar was flying with me on an important mission and we were attacked by French scout aircraft. I tried my best to help Edgar shake off his attacker but to my everlasting shame I couldn't.

His death was quick and as painless as could be and we were able to recover his body and give him a decent burial near our airfield.

Edgar and I had become friends and he had spoken very fondly of you and his plans for both of you. He had also shown me the most wonderful picture of you and it was at that moment I realised I would have to write to you. I simply couldn't let you wonder what had happened for all eternity.

I can only imagine your feelings now and I am so sorry. I just hope you understand and will eventually appreciate why I felt I had to tell you.

If I can be of any help whatsoever please feel free to write back to me.

With all due courtesy,

Werner Rendel

Werner decided this would have to do and went over to the office to place it in the mail tray.

Attached Files A1.jpgA2.jpgA3.jpgB1.jpgB2.jpgB3.jpgB4.jpgB5.jpgB6.jpg

#4582767 - 10/17/21 11:52 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Albert - A hard task for Werner to write that letter, but most admirable of him to take it on. As for his continued ground pounding tasks, he's got those sussed.

Fullofit - Lovely fall colors there around Montingen, giving those poor SPAD sods something nice to look at as they leave this earth. Klaus continues to wreak his usual havoc in grand style. And that 150 mark, oh so tantalizingly close.
Also, true about those denied balloon claims for Freddy, but really he never expected them to be approved, they were just enjoyable to roast.

Epower - Another spate of brill catch-up episodes, Ripper is nearly there with the rest of us. Nice touch with Freddy's mention in the Comic Cuts. So it's been ground pounding work for your man as well, seems to be a lot of that going round. Hope he enjoys the new digs at Athies.

Raine - Glad to see you're getting caught up as well. Tough luck though about those losses in Callender's flight, a bitter pill there.

Wonderful reports, screenies, and vids as always everyone, great accompaniment with the morning cuppa'.

#4582780 - 10/17/21 04:57 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Albert, that is exactly what Klaus is doing while waiting for the confirmation news. It doesn’t hurt (except the enemy). Got to keep that tombola well oiled.
As to Werner, a tough letter to write for sure. This is evident by many failed attempts littering the floor. He would have to make another attempt after the missions today. Perhaps the tedious transit time to and from the target will inspire him.
Plenty of targets for the pair during the missions including a lone Bréguet. A single bomber attacking on his own? If that isn’t weird then I don’t know what is. Hopefully it’ll get confirmed, but I have a suspicion the claims board will have a similar reaction to this claim as me.
Speaking of reactions, hopefully the well crafted letter to Inge will bring her some peace and will make her appreciate Werner’s thoughtfulness instead of cursing him high heavens for being the bearer of grim news. We shall see.

Lou, so you’ve noticed the trees. I simply couldn’t stomach the ones OBD provides. They simply remind me of Bréguets too much. I’ve developed this nervous tick any time I looked at them, so I’ve decided to do something about it. Perhaps not the most realistic look, but better than same diarrhea-brown trees everywhere. I’m used to vibrant colours in the fall. And yes, that 150 mark is so close Klaus can smell it. It smells of roasted French pilots.

17 October, 1918 07:45
Montingen, Verdun Sector
Jasta 18
Fokker D.VII
152 confirmed kills

One of the SPADs from the day before and three from the airfield raid have been credited to Klaus. The Flak boys had to grab one of his as well. They wouldn’t be themselves, after all.
It was the rerun of yesterday’s failed mission to support ground troops between a stretch south of Pont-à-Mousson and Malzeville. The Jasta was not allowed to complete their mission this time either. They were intercepted by a flight of SPADs over Verny. Klaus was waiting for one of them to come after him but no one was biting. Klaus had to find one for himself and engage. He did just that and had the enemy spinning after damaging it, but the foe was able to climb above him, while spinning. Raben left this possessed SPAD to someone else and another Fokker gladly took over. Klaus found another SPAD which was also spinning. Klaus didn’t want to touch this one either. It seemed the devil himself was piloting enemy planes today. Meanwhile, one of the SPADs noticed Raben just flying around and decided to introduce himself. Klaus noticed him by accident and took evasive action. With a smooth motion he placed his Fokker on the befuddled Franzose’s tail and opened fire. The enemy plane rolled his plane to get away and Klaus allowed it, but kept a watchful eye and as soon as the enemy regained control and was on his way out, Klaus found himself on his rear and opened fire again. This time it was devastating and the enemy’s engine caught on fire. Klaus watched the SPAD go down, but spotted another duel going on and decided to join in. It was August playing with his prey. Klaus smiled and decided to make it a contest. The two men took turns trying to down this French mouse. August was no slouch and gave Klaus a run for his money, but in the end it was Klaus who blew away one of the wings from the unfortunate SPAD. The enemy machine crashed in C.O.’s full view. It was time to get back to base after that.

YouTube Link

#4582783 - 10/17/21 06:04 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Everyone, Some really great Pics and yarns

#4582784 - 10/17/21 06:10 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Cecil P Fawnsworth, DFC.
Lt , Rfc, 54 Sq
B Flight Commander
Phalempin AF

Oct 12 , 1918.

10 Victory Confirmed
6 Unconfirmed

Escort: No contact

#4582785 - 10/17/21 06:14 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Cecil P Fawnsworth, DFC.
Lt , Rfc, 54 Sq
B Flight Commander
Phalempin AF

Oct 13 , 1918.

10 Victory Confirmed
6 Unconfirmed

Parades: Popped the Military Medal to add to my DFC. Off at midday for Defence Patrol No contact

#4582786 - 10/17/21 06:16 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Cecil P Fawnsworth, DFC.MM.
Lt , Rfc, 54 Sq
B Flight Commander
Phalempin AF

Oct 17 , 1918.

10 Victory Confirmed
6 Unconfirmed
2 pending

They Got me.! Off on a Aerodrome Attack Mission. Deep Penetration Raid found found a 4 a/c flight splitting up and circling while 2 more were taking off. B flight (5 a/c) had already dropped ( mostly missed ) so engaged the V struts. I got one early on and was working on number 2 e/a when one on my tail ( meantime Top cover bombed some hit} Spandau's barked from some where and I took hits 1 painful in the right Hip. ( so much for what I thought was 2nd String Pilots. My wingmates got the e/a off me and I made our lines by the troop camps, Nasty little mix up we claimed 4 e/a for 3 of ours.

I went field 1st aid 3rd Battalion Royals, then will be sent back to 1st Army Field Hospital. Near Lorraine,

Attached Files CFS3 2021-10-17 11-29-42-04.jpgCFS3 2021-10-17 11-31-53-84.jpgCFS3 2021-10-17 11-33-03-48.jpgCFS3 2021-10-17 11-34-33-75.jpg
Last edited by carrick58; 10/17/21 07:12 PM.
#4582790 - 10/17/21 06:53 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Lou - With regards to the letter it seemed right thing to do and we'll have to see if Werner gets a response.

Fullofit - Well that tombola came up pretty good for Klaus there. 152 confirmed now, a superb performance. He's done his Kaiser and the Raben family proud. Now to today's happenings. So the bionic SPADs are back in town, it's like they're on bungee cords. Klaus just took his time and waited for them to stop piddling about and then slayed them, although he had to nip in front of his cousin to down the second one. As for Werner, one Breguet was enough, don't be wishing more on him.

Carrick - Well done on the medal which brightened up a quiet few days for Cecil.

Scrap that our posts must have crossed. Poor Cecil has bagged a blighty by the sounds of it. Nurses await.....

#4582791 - 10/17/21 07:10 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Fullofit - I really like those trees. Is that mod something you can send my way so I can give it a try? I'd love to see some autumn leaves in Freddy's part of Flanders. Those put me in mind of an old song that, if memory serves, was sung in the kasinos of the German fliegers.back in the day.

The falling Spads drift by my windscreen,
The falling Spads of beige and brown.
My Spandaus speak, I see their wings fold,
They burst in flames and hit the ground.

Since this war broke out the days grow long.
When will we hear the peace bells gong?
But I miss you most of all my Liebchen
When autumn Spads start to fall.

biggrin

Page 352 of 366 1 2 350 351 352 353 354 365 366

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics