Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 205 of 366 1 2 203 204 205 206 207 365 366
#4532334 - 08/02/20 03:50 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) ***** [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

RAF:

It was the 1st landing aboard a moving carrier. 2 Aug 1917. the pilots name was Dunning in a Sopwith Pup

Attached Files Carrier landing  II.jpgDunning_First_Moving_Carrier_Landing_IWM_Q_110613.jpg
Last edited by carrick58; 08/02/20 03:52 PM.
#4532339 - 08/02/20 04:35 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
The Pup in my opinion would be a good choice

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4532359 - 08/02/20 09:11 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Shredward Offline
Shredward  Offline

Lake Louise, AB Canada
Edwin Dunning veered off the deck of HMS Furious on his third landing of the day five days later, on 7 August. He was knocked unconscious, and drowned in the cockpit.

We will remember them.
#4532366 - 08/02/20 10:10 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

My initial comment about the above was meant as a joke, not so funny I realize. biggrin

I actually wrote a paper about this historic landing and about Dunning, years ago for a military aviation history class I attended in the USAF. The Pup's stall speed was not all that much faster than the HMS Furious' full ahead speed, and as they were doing this into an approximately 20 mph headwind the Pup was basically hovering above the deck as it landed. You can see the sailor in that first photo Carrick posted grabbing onto the horizontal stab support wires and quite literally attempting to hold the plane in place and guide it down onto the deck as the pilot throttled back. Those loops hanging down from the fuselage and wings were there for just that purpose.

#4532374 - 08/02/20 11:55 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Pursuant to Army Order 204, dated 6 July 1916, the following individual is hereby presented the Wounded Stripe:

[Linked Image]

Your King and Country thank you for your sacrifice and faithful service.

#4532378 - 08/03/20 01:59 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Good Info. Well done Guys

#4532379 - 08/03/20 02:00 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Fido Iggy Bedlow
Sgt Rfc,
19 Sqn
Estree-Blanche,
Flanders, France.
3 Victory's confirmed.
3 Unconfirmed
August 3, 1917

More Rain

#4532468 - 08/03/20 07:10 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Still raining?

For some reason, I have a feeling this is going to be a very wet month! Better have your thug boots and playing cards handy! And whiskey, don't forget the whiskey!

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4532474 - 08/03/20 08:09 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Fido Iggy Bedlow
Sgt Rfc,
19 Sqn
Estree-Blanche,
Flanders, France.
3 Victory's confirmed.
3 Unconfirmed
August 4, 1917

More Rain

#4532633 - 08/04/20 10:14 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Fido Iggy Bedlow
Sgt Rfc,
19 Sqn
Estree-Blanche,
Flanders, France.
3 Victory's confirmed.
3 Unconfirmed
August 5, 1917

Offensive Patrol. Off in a dark overcast sky. 2 Flights , B Flt 5 a/c with 3 Rovers total 8. Shortly after take off 2 had to return to base ( one crashed short of field that left 6, Its was so dark and hazy that you could hide the entire Hun Air corp in the Muck. Finally, we RTB.

Attached Files CFS3 2020-08-04 14-30-34-68.jpgCFS3 2020-08-04 14-55-15-67.jpg
#4532668 - 08/05/20 01:13 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
MFair, a hearty welcome to Feldwebel Immer. Best of luck with the Richthofen Geschwader. As far as I can tell, German NCOs were addressed by rank ("Feldwebel Bloggins"). As in British service, only privates were addressed by surnames only, except in very informal exchanges among friends. Officers were addressed by Herr and then the rank ("Herr Leutnant" or "Herr Hauptmann"). If the officers subordinate to you, you can drop the "Herr." While lower ranking general officers could be "Herr General", more senior general officers (e.g. Army command and higher) were referred to as "Excellency".

Lou, glad to see Abbott doing well under Nurse Ellison. And congratulations on the promotion!

Epower, finally watched "The Life and Death of Col Blimp" last night. What a well crafted movie. And I'm in love with Deborah Kerr.

Carrick, I don't think I'd be volunteering to be a naval aviator circa 1917.

I am a day ahead since I will not be able to get at Woff tomorrow.

Tagebuch of Ltn. der Res. Hans-Dieter Vogel, EK1, EK2

Jasta 26, Iseghem (Izegem), Belgium

Part 22

1 August 1917

Rain and storm this morning. For once, the wind rattles the window more than the British artillery. I roll over in bed and sleep until ten. There is little happening in the great house. Pilots are either asleep or have slipped away into town in twos and threes. Even the adjutant, ever busy, sits by the big window in the front and sips coffee. Over by the fire, Oberleutnant Loerzer relaxes with his boots on the iron rail about the hearth and chats with his old friend Goering. He is the big-boned, sullen fellow who was with the Staffel when I joined, but who now commands Jasta 27 across the field. He watches me as I crossed the room like a barn cat contemplating a swallow.

“That’s your waiter, isn’t it?” he grunts. I continue across the room toward the kitchen and pause at the door to ask for a cup of tea and some biscuits. I sit in the front room, but close enough to eavesdrop. I hear Oberleutnant Loerzer say my name and rank.

“Anyone can be an officer these days,” Goering says.

“Perhaps anyone who shoots down twenty-one English machines should be an officer,” Loerzer replies. Goering says something under his breath but I fail to pick it up. “So, have you heard from Ascheberg?” Hauptmann Freiherr von Ascheberg is now the immediate boss of both Goering and Loerzer.

“He says it’s gone up to von Stein and he’s sending it higher.” Whatever they are talking about is going up to General Von Arnim.

I hear a rattling of cups and saucers. Then Loerzer’s voice: “I wish you luck. These days they normally don’t even think about it until you have downed more than twenty machines. And you nearly always need to have the Knight’s Cross with Swords of the Hohenzollern House Order before getting it.”

So that is what the big oily b*stard is after! He’s a good pilot, but I don’t think he has a dozen yet to his credit and he’s after the big one, the Blue Max. I think to myself that, waiter or not, another half-dozen or so victories should put me in line for that lovely bit of flash. I’d have to make a point of strutting about Jasta 27’s hangers once that came through. There is a loud crash and a flash of lightning illuminates the room. The biscuits are delicious.

It has been a while since I have been able to chat with Steinmesser. I fetch my oilskin jacket and head out. I find my old friend in the armourer’s shed where Faller has stripped down a machine gun and is explaining something. “Hey, old man! How about lunch in town?”

“Are you crazy?” he replies. “If they see you fraternising over eggs and chips with the likes of me, there will be hell to pay for both of us.”

“Where then?” I ask. Steinmesser thinks for a minute and Faller the armourer says something about going to church. They laugh and agree on something.

“It will cost you though,” Steinmesser says. “Herr exalted Leutnant is springing for Faller and me plus Kristof, the driver." Five minutes later we are in the back of a lorry which Kristof is struggling to keep on the muddy lane. I pull back the loose flap of canvas behind me to peer out through the rain. Rows of trees flicker past, and one village gives way to the next. Finally we sway and slither up a rapid drive to an imposing gate in a stone wall. Steinmesser jumps down from the lorry and pulls at a chain by the door. I hear him talking in low German. “My officer wishes to make a generous donation in exchange for a little to eat and drink.”

We are ridiculously full and only half drunk. Brother Bertram is explaining half in Flemish and half in German that his monastery has been making this fine beer for 700 years. It is a wonderful creation – goes down like silk and stuns your brain like a trench mortar. He explains that it is 8.5 percent alcohol, “not like your thin, washy German piss.” And the sausages! I have had nothing so good since before the war. They are fat and peppery and greasy and made to be eaten with the new potatoes and grilled tomatoes that adorn the platters in front of us. We need more beer. Much more. And bread. Fine, absorbent bread.

It is nearly four in the afternoon when we stagger outside. Steinmesser insists on driving because Kristof is paralytic and Faller is already asleep in the back. I sit in front with Steinmesser so that I can see the place where at his hands we are inevitably all going to die. It has been the best few hours I have spent since arriving at the front. I had hoped to pay Oberleutnant Loerzer back his sixty marks at the end of the month but I think I shall have to negotiate new terms. I vaguely remember pressing wads of money into the receptive paws of Brother Bertram and his friends.

5 August 1917

I have become a hermit these days. Goering seems to have taken up residence here on rainy afternoons and I prefer to stay in my room when he holds court in the main room below. I seldom take a dislike to people, especially people that are outgoing and skilled, both of which he is. But he has an arrogance about him that I doubt his background and achievements bear. Admittedly, I know little of the man, but he has a face I should never tire of slapping. So I stay in my room. I have acquired several volumes of Shakespeare. It is difficult going for me yet worthwhile. I have a well-thumbed copy of Langenscheidt’s dictionary by my side. And this is what he has to say about Herr Goering: “… Proud man, dresst in a little brief authority, most ignorant of what he’s most assur’d...” Goethe should weep.

I am back from morning patrol. After four days on the ground it was a welcome bit of excitement. Another free hunt, but we did not have far to go. When we take off we usually assemble south-east of here and climb to at least 2000 metres. That brings us close to the aerodrome at Marckebeeke – the one where von Richthofen’s boys are. As we approach that area I noticed some anti-aircraft fire near the aerodrome. We raced at full speed and found a number of British scouts in the area. They were SEs, fast and well-armed. These ones had gaudy paint jobs, most unusual for the English. One enemy machine passed beneath us, just above treetop level. I dived on it and surprised its pilot. My second burst set it aflame and the machine dipped its nose, rolled on its back, and dived vertically into the centre of the field at Marckebeeke.

[Linked Image]
"My second burst set it aflame..."

By now, our formation had broken up. I saw another machine heading west, also down low. I pursued it and found it to be another SE. This one might have been damaged because it was not too difficult to catch. Normally these machines are much faster than ours. I dropped down until I was skimming the ground, careful to stay beneath the Englishman’s tail and out of sight. Only when I was nearly touching his tail did I pop up. The first burst from my guns ignited the engine and sealed the enemy’s fate. The Englishman sideslipped and tried to bring the machine down before it burned completely. He touched the ground but too quickly and it cartwheeled, ending in a hedge near one of our balloons. I returned to Marckebeeke where some of our aeroplanes had landed. As I turned into the field, a column of smoke rose from the wrecked SE I had deposited there as a gift for von Richthofen.

[Linked Image]
"The first burst from my guns ignited the engine..."

[Linked Image]
"As I turned into the field, a column of smoke rose from the wrecked SE I had deposited there as a gift for von Richthofen."

This time I had a chance to meet with the great man again. I jokingly told him that the store was out of mustard so I brought him an Englishman. As I suspected, that was the kind of humour he appreciated. He took some time to show me about the place and introduced me to several of his pilots. I have forgotten most of the names. One fellow was named Adam and another named Wuesthoff. I remember Wuesthoff because he had just been promoted to Leutnant so we had a lot in common.

So now, as I said before, I am back from morning patrol. Blessedly, Goering has gone back to infest his own Jasta. Lunch is soup. I eat quickly because we are to attack an English balloon position. The weather is still poor – grey and drizzling. We take off, me, von Hebenstreit, both Loerzers, and Auer. Scarcely have we climbed north of Menen to 500 metres when I hear machine guns. English machines are amongst us! They dive out of the low clouds. The first machine I meet is a Sopwith two-seater. I put a burst into it before the observer can react. But now I hear more shooting from close behind. It is a Nieuport scout, well-flown. I am too low to roll under and come up at him and can only try to turn. But the Englishman turns tighter than me and I am in trouble. Twice his rounds pierce my Albatros. Once I catch him from the side but he shows no signs of damage. Now we come at each other head-on. I hold my gunsight on the Nieuport. If he breaks away first I shall have him. There is a loud smashing sound. He has crashed into my left upper wing! The Albatros is difficult to hold straight and the ground below is torn and broken. I immediately switch off and begin dropping. The Albatros feels that it will fall out of the sky any second. The wheels touch the ground and the machine bounces violently. I pull back hard on the stick and skid the aeroplane over the mud. Broken trees flash past. And then with a splintering crack the Albatros falls into a shell hole and is stuck fast. I climb out as the Nieuport, apparently still intact, passes above. The Englishman circles about and waves. Having been immersed in English culture since the age of fifteen, I pull off a flying glove and give him the traditional British two-fingered salute.

It is close to dinner before I am back in Iseghem. I learn that my DH5 from several days ago remains unwitnessed. Feldwebel von Hebenstreit was my witness for the two SE5s from this morning but he did not return from Marckebeeke in time to submit a report before the afternoon patrol. And he has not returned from the afternoon patrol. Auer saw him last tangling with two Nieuports. The adjutant said he will talk to the other pilots and to the ground staff at Jasta 11 about the SE5s.

Attached Files Possible kill 22.jpgPossible kill 23.jpgLanding at Marckebeeke.jpg
#4532788 - 08/05/20 11:33 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Raine, another stellar episode! Goering is an easy man to dislike. Take away all that he will become, and he is still very arrogant and obnoxious dude.

Fw Ivan Immer
Bessinghem
August 5, 1917

Ivan was nervous about his first patrol. The squadron was to patrol friendly lines west of Menen. Once he pushed the throttle forward, the butterflies in his stomach disappeared. He loved to fly. As Bessinghem was so close to the front, he could see up close the ferocious barrage coming down on the German lines. He felt for the men in the trenches but at the same time he was glad he was not among them. It was a very grey day with lots of cloud. At 10,000’ the flight turned south to begin their patrol. In a flash, a flight of Spads dove among them. Ivan’s flight scattered like birds and in an instant it was a swirling mass of air machines. Ivan saw one below and dove on its tail. He could taste his first victory as he started firing his twin guns. The Spad snap rolled and disappeared! He looked around and only saw 1 machine in the clouds at a distance. He circled for a moment and decided it best to land. In 15 minute he over Bessinghem. He could see 2 others landing. He breathed a sigh of relief knowing he had made the right decision.

As his machine came to a stop, Kommandant Dostler met him. “I see you made through your first scrap!” “Yes Sir!” Ivan replied. “I thought I had one but he gave me the slip for sure.” Dostler smiled and asked! “Was he French or English?” Ivan was dumbstruck. He had no idea. Before he could answer Dostler asked with a stern face, “You do the difference. Do you not?” Ivan stammered for a minute and replied, “Yes Sir.......In the excitement, I didn’t notice.” Dostler put his hand on the young fliers shoulder, “A good scout pilot has to notice everything. Especially who he is shooting at.” Ivan stood up straight and replied, “Yes Kommandant!” Dostler smiled at Ivan. “Good! You will learn. You survived a pretty fair scrap. That’s the first step. Now go make out your report.” Ivan saluted and sheepishly walked to the operations shack. “Herr Immer!” Dostler called out. Ivan wheeled around and answered “Sir?” Dostler shouted, “They were English, make sure to put that in your report!” Ivan saluted and continued to the hut.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4532789 - 08/05/20 11:59 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

MFair: Happy Trails to ur new Pilot.

Raine: Good story and pics are the icing on the Cake.

#4532790 - 08/06/20 12:11 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Fido Iggy Bedlow
Sgt Rfc,
19 Sqn
Estree-Blanche,
Flanders, France.
3 Victory's confirmed.
4 Unconfirmed
August 6, 1917

Mixed it up with a flight of V Strut's , I had one but he fooled me. The Sqn had 6 a/c for patrol and on the last turn around spotted and attacked 6 V Struts , I stayed high looking for a good position then found one chasing this one e/a with black and with stripes around the fuselage . Managed to fire off 38-60 rds then the trigger contrl broke looking at the e/a the Pilot was slumped over so pulled off. Filed a claim, but was rejected. The Flight had 2 lt damage, The e/a lost 4 (if u Count mine ) D-III's
Hq said my claim was not valid because 1. Over Enemy lines 2. No witness 3. Probably just a Hun Trick 4. U did not see the crash.

Attached Files CFS3 2020-08-05 16-28-13-34.jpgCFS3 2020-08-05 16-30-29-25.jpgCFS3 2020-08-05 16-39-57-60.jpgCFS3 2020-08-05 16-43-25-62.jpgCFS3 2020-08-05 16-43-53-44.jpgCFS3 2020-08-05 16-44-00-62.jpg
Last edited by carrick58; 08/06/20 12:16 AM.
#4532793 - 08/06/20 01:22 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Carrick, tough luck on the claim. I’m sure Fido will find that bone soon.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
#4532834 - 08/06/20 02:09 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Fw Ivan Immer
Bessinghem
August 6, 1917

Flight Zwei was tasked for the defence of our balloon north of Passchendael. After reaching patrol height and turning west, 4 Sopwith Strutters dove down on them west of Roulers. Ivan climbed as the Strutters dove past. Turning, he saw one trying to get on the tail of one of his flight. He dove behind it and started firing. The Strutter disengaged and dove with Ivan on his tail. Misjudging his speed he had to dive under the Englishman, turning so he would not be on his tail. Adams was now closing on the Strutters tail so Ivan came in on his quarter firing. The gunner of the Strutter decided to concentrate his fire on Ivan. He felt bulls slam into metal but kept up the pursuit. Adams disengaged and Ivan turned in behind and let off a good burst. The right upper wingtip collapsed and it fell in a slow spiral and crashed. Ivan was elated at his first kill. His joy was soon extinguished as he noticed the white vapor trail behind his Albatros. Looking around he spotted a good field to set down on which he did. He was back at Bessinghem by 10am.

The squadron was buzzing with activity. Richtofen himself was to present Dostler with the Blue Max. The Baron arrived at noon. The food was better than normal for their honoured guest. As the squadron was assembled for the ceremony, the man himself was walking down the line of Jasta 6 pilots, talking to each one. As Dostler introduced the Baron to Ivan he said “this is our newest arrival, Fw Ivan Immer, he claimed a Strutter this very morning!” The Baron slapped Ivan on the arm, “Ah! Good work! Let’s hope there are plenty more in your future!” Ivan saluted and thanked Richtofen and he was moving on down the line. Ivan hoped he did not notice his knees shaking. Once introductions were made the Baron stunned everyone by taking his personal medal from around his neck and placing it around Dostler’s. “It’s no wonder men will follow him to hell” Ivan thought.

By 2pm the celebrations were over and they were back to work on their way to patrol the lines west of Menen. Just after takeoff, Dostler signalled and pulled up sharply. There were 2 Camels above. They did not dive immediately but took their time picking the right moment. It seemed one had his sights on Ivan as he came down on him. After the initial attack, the two engaged in a series of head on scissor moves. Ivan must have scored a hit because the Sopwith didn’t turn on the last move and headed straight west. Ivan followed. They were very low going across the mud and it soon became clear Ivan would not catch him. He pulled up and headed east. Ivan looked to the right and was shocked to see a Camel coming toward him! He turned quickly and dropped behind the brown coloured machine and fired. When he did, it nosed over and crashed in front of their trenches. As he pulled up he could see the grey figures cheers him. At that moment, Ivan was on top of the world.

#4532865 - 08/06/20 08:43 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Raine, if Vogel continues to support Brother Bertram with generous donations, he himself will end up looking like Göring. Easy on the sausages and beer.
Hope at least some of the myriad of claims will get confirmed. Do I sense a transfer to Jasta 11 coming? Perhaps after receiving a certain Verdienstorden?

MFair, glad Ivan survived his first battle. Those SPADs could be a handful when piloted by a veteran. Congrats on meeting the Legend in person. What a treat! Also well done on taking down those Englishers. Hopefully they’ll soon be confirmed. Ivan is well on his way to receive a Blue Max of his own.

Carrick, at least Fido was given 4 reasons for his claim rejection. Most of us get no explanation.

6 August, 1917 04:00
Ghistelles, Flanders Sector
Jasta 17
Offizierstellvertreter Zygmunt Dolf Hahn EK2 EK1
18 confirmed kills

After an extended period of rain, the weather improved. Their mission was to protect Heule airfield. It was still dark when they were awoken. The rain and the gray skies didn’t help keep their eyes open when it was time to take off. It was 4:00. They were back after 5:00 and nothing to show for it, except the airfield they were sent to defend was still standing unharmed. Ziggy went back to bed after filling out his report.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files 1917-08-06.jpg

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4532888 - 08/07/20 12:53 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Maeran Offline
Maeran  Offline

UK
End of July figures:

2nd Lieutenant Robert B Lindley
23 Squadron RFC, La Lovie
41 missions, 37.32 hours
6 victories with 15 claims

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5th August 1917

There was something different this morning. Lindley stared at the roof of his hut and thought. It wasn’t the thunder of artillery. That had been going on for a week now and he hardly registered it now. No, it was the absence of a sound.

Lindley sat bolt upright at the realisation. “It isn’t raining!”

The skies were grey and threatened more rain. Lindley eyed them suspiciously as he listened to O’Grady.

“After days stuck inside, the weather has finally given us another chance to help the offensive,” O’Grady gestured toward the RE8s across the field as they were clearly preparing for takeoff. “If we’re up, then so is the Hun. We’re going up to knock them down. Then our boys can do their job in peace. Come on.”

[Linked Image]

About an hour later, O’Grady wiggled his wings and dived. Lindley already knew why. They dived on the Albatri below them.

One of the German machines was soon spinning out of control. Lindley was struggling to stay behind his opponent. A good burst of Vickers fire damaged the Albatros’ engine. Lindley saw the prop slowing.

No time to push the advantage. More Albatros scouts had arrived and were diving down to overwhelm the Spads. Lindley reckoned counted nine before he decided to run.

The Spad has its detractors, but no-one doubts its speed in a dive. Lindley tore through the grey skies and made for the line. He saw O’Grady’s machine doing the same. The others? He fervently hoped they were running too, but right now? No time.

The Albatri did not chase Lindley’s cowardly flight. Soon he was alone and low over the western reaches of the battle zone. The green fields of safety ahead and his shame burning his guts.

O’Grady was at La Lovie before Lindley was. And in time Gibbs arrived with an impressive number of bullet holes in his machine.

Without saying a word to one another, O’Grady and Lindley sat and watched the skies for an hour. The skies were busy and aeroplanes came and went. The last two men in the flight did not return.*

----------------

The war certainly does not stop for losses. The next morning Mac was leading the flight as they escorted a pair of RE8s from 21 squadron. The reconnaisance machines were to photograph in the area of St Julien to try to identify enemy positions there.

No sooner were the assembled machines across the lines near Passchendaele, Lindley saw three Albatros scouts diving down to attack the Harry Tates.

“No, you don’t,” he thought and turned to intercept the lead machine.

The German pilot was lining up on one of the two-seaters, but Lindley was lined up on him. Lindley’s finger was on the trigger.

Spang! Flack! Bullets flew horrifyingly close to Lindley’s head. He pushed forward instinctively and yanked the stick to the left. Someone was shooting at him!

[Linked Image]

A blue nosed Albatros was close behind. Lindley’s dive had thrown his aim, but not lost his opponent. More bullets flew.

Lindley twisted and turned. The Spad span down a good four thousand feet before he dared to try to recover. Glancing around Lindley was surprisingly comforted. The Harry Tates were running for home unharrased. Lindley saw the lead Albatros diving steeply with a Spad on its tail. Another German scout was tearing eastwards with black smoke streaming from the engine.

What of his own attacker? Lindley could see the blue-nosed machine above and off to one side. It was still chasing him, but behind the German was a Spad!

The Albatros turned to evade the new Spad and Lindley saw streamers on the wings of his rescuer. It was Mac!

Now it was Lindley’s turn. He turned and got in behind the Albatri. At less than 70 yards he fired a furious burst into the enemy machine and was gratified to see it dive away with a trail of smoke behind.

* MFair did you shoot down my wingmen?

#4532889 - 08/07/20 01:56 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Maeran: Nice

#4532890 - 08/07/20 01:57 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
MFair -- Good start for Ivan. And Dostler seems like a good sort. The vignette with Richthofen was really good. And congratulations on what seems to be your first two kills.

Carrick -- We seem to have the same sort of luck with claims.

Fullofit -- Too bad Ziggy's patrol was so uneventful. I'm enjoying the competition. Vogel has had his share of exciting missions but the Claims Prevention Unit is doing their best to keep the contest close.

Maeran -- Excellent episode. The Spad can be a wonderful machine, especially when it's time to get out of Dodge City.

Tagebuch of Ltn. der Res. Hans-Dieter Vogel, EK1, EK2

Jasta 26, Iseghem (Izegem), Belgium

Part 23

6 August 1917

The British air forces are putting great pressure on us now that the rain has stopped. It seems they have many new squadrons in service and are trying to dominate not just the front but our rear areas as well. Kogenluft is coordinating with Fourth Army to reserve certain squadrons for defensive patrols in depth. This morning I have the early patrol which takes us north and west of Bruges to cover our aerodromes and supply dumps in that area. The weather is fair with a little more than fifty percent cloud. I have with me the boss, Blume, Dannhuber, and a new man named Bilhardt. There is a long way to go so I waste no time in circling about for height. We turn north after takeoff and form up en route, climbing all the way. I see the town of Roulers through the cloud and head due north. My next landmark is the forest west of Bruges. For several minutes I believe I will have to drop down through the cloud to see it. But then a gap appears a little to my left and we head over to get our bearings. There is my forest! Now it is north again and just a little west. I will look for the aerodrome at Nieuwmunster. There we will circle until our time is up.

We do not circle for long, perhaps ten minutes, before spotting a formation of English Sopwith two-seaters. We break formation and are among them like a family of foxes in the hen house. These “lords” are sturdy ones. They are keen for the fight and manage to punch holes in my machine and those of the other pilots with me. It is surprising how well they fight with their ancient steeds. One particularly nasty customer keeps showing up on my tail whenever I think I have a chance to get at one of his friends. I decide I have had enough of him and make him my special project. His observer works his machine gun courageously and forces me to swerve from one side to the other, making him pull his heavy gun around to follow me. I get a couple of bursts at him and the Sopwith goes into a tight vertical bank to the right. I follow in elliptical turns, swooping up and turning as I dive on him. Eventually I score some hits and force the English machine into more evasive manoeuvres. Now the observer is occupied with trying to stay on board his machine and I am able to close in for the kill. The Sopwith falls to my machine guns and crashes close to Stroolenhaan. My Albatros is badly shot up and I land at Nieuwmunster for quick repair.

At lunch back in the Kasino I learn that the SE5 that I dropped onto von Richthofen’s field yesterday has been confirmed for my twenty-second victory. Unfortunately, neither the second SE that I downed nor this morning’s Sopwith are witnessed and they remain unconfirmed. I think of Goering and wonder if friends in high places would make a difference here! Our soup is a bit thin and our bread a bit stale. I will have to put some money away to visit Brother Bernard again soon, hopefully without so many hungry and impoverished friends to help me spend it.

We are in the air again at one-thirty this afternoon. Again it is a defensive patrol, this time north-east to Thielt. I lead the boss and his brother, Blume, and Feldwebel Bilhardt. We patrol for nearly half an hour in the area and I am beginning to contemplate my bladder when two formations of Sopwith Pups appear from the clouds. They spot us at the same time we see them and they dive on us from several hundred metres above. It is a Wild West fight with aeroplanes everywhere. The little Sopwiths are slower than our machines and not as well armed, but they turn wonderfully well. And these Sopwiths are well-handled. Bilhardt stays with me for several minutes but there are too many enemy machines and he is forced to tangle with one while I deal with two more. In situations like this my idea is to fire “discouraging” bursts. I force myself to remember that our opponents are twenty miles deep in our territory and must naturally fear even the lightest damage to their mounts. Sure enough, after a while I have persuaded one of the Englishmen to give up and go home. Now I can turn on his partner. Twice I managed to hit the Sopwith with a scattering of bullets, and now he tries to run. He has no chance. I catch him close to the outskirts of Roulers and fire a long burst from close range. His machine falls out of control and crashes close to the town.

[Linked Image]
"His machine falls out of control and crashes close to the town."

As I climb away, I see another Sopwith heading home at low altitude just south of Roulers. He does not see me slip behind him and I stalk him nearly to Rumbeeke. Then I fire and see the enemy machine begin to burn. I turn away as it falls. My engine is running rough and I switch off and land at Ingelmunster. The mechanics there count twenty-three bullet holes in my machine. The Staffelfuehrer there – it is a DFW squadron – invites me to stay for dinner. I return to Iseghem at last light and submit my report. My first Sopwith is confirmed for number twenty-three. My flamer was not witnessed and is “known unto God,” as the English say.

[Linked Image]
"Then I fire and see the enemy machine begin to burn."

7 August 1917

Rain again. The British offensive is bogging down in mud. They say this is the wettest August in memory so far. Air activity is low across the front but we are still ordered to send a defensive patrol north to the coast. I lead it – the two Loerzers, Dannhuber, and our new man Bilhardt. Bilhardt claimed a Sopwith yesterday and it is confirmed. He has done very well and is recommended for an Iron Cross Second Class. We take off into drizzle and mist. It will be a miserable morning. But then my prayers are answered. The engine begins to run rough and a terrible vibration threatens to shake the poor Albatros apart. I signal the boss to take over, switch off, and glide into our aerodrome at Menen.

At one in the afternoon we are back in the air. It is another defensive patrol, this time to protect our balloon lines south of the River Lys. We waste no time getting there and begin to do our circuit of the assigned sector. Visibility is poor and my neck aches from checking all around so often. After forty-five minutes it is time to head back to Iseghem and we drop below the cloud layer at 1500 metres. That is when the fun starts! Several Albatrosen from Jasta 6 are circling about low over Menen and contending with a large and angry group of French Spads. These are the same expert Frenchmen we met a few ago, the ones who nearly put an end to me. Their machines are very powerful and quick, much quicker it seems then the English Spads. And there are so many of them! Every time I get a glance at one, another puts rounds through my wings. This happens several times and I am getting very annoyed. There are two Frenchmen who have chosen me for their own and things are becoming unhealthy. Then Bilhardt appears, God bless him! He chases off one of the Frenchmen. When I am left with one Spad I have a chance. I get a short burst at him and he falls into a flat spin I watch him as he goes around and around, and I wait for his machine to smash into the rooftops of Menen. But at the last moment he pulls out and races away to the west. I dive on him. This will be my only chance before he outraces me. As I begin to fire, the Spad rears up and to the left. I fire again, this time straight down into the cockpit. The French machine tumbles into another spin. He does not recover. The machine falls just west of the town and seems to completely disintegrate on impact. Bilhardt appears off my left wingtips. He pumps his fist in the air. This time I have witness and the Frenchman becomes my twenty-fourth confirmed victory.

[Linked Image]
"I get a short burst at him and he falls into a flat spin I watch him as he goes around and around, and I wait for his machine to smash into the rooftops of Menen."

Attached Files Kill 23.jpgRejected Pup.jpgKill 24.jpg
Page 205 of 366 1 2 203 204 205 206 207 365 366

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse