Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#4446864 - 11/03/18 09:08 PM Re: Deep immersion DiD campaign [Re: Raine]  
Dark_Canuck Offline
Dark_Canuck  Offline

Canada
This is really coming together and I am quite excited! I can't wait to roll up my character.

Last edited by Dark_Canuck; 11/03/18 09:09 PM.
#4446872 - 11/03/18 10:00 PM Re: Deep immersion DiD campaign [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Raine,
Yes, I have my ears on and yes I will start as an American flying for the RFC. Had been thinking of going to Canada and joining the Army Ambulance Service, volunteer as an observer, then start the DID in pilot training. Sound familiar? But, I can change it a bit. Makes no nevermind to me. All I know for sure is my pilot will be from the south as I don’t know how to be anyone else. Just keep in mind, you and Lou are light years ahead of me in the story telling department. That said, some of the most fun I had in the last DID was flying with you and also flying in the squadron Lou was commanding. My mom still has the walking stick carved from the Camel prop I died in. Did someone mention the word epic! Oh yes, this will be great.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4446933 - 11/04/18 03:12 PM Re: Deep immersion DiD campaign [Re: Raine]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

Just for clarification: do we get to choose our starting unit, or is it decided by the powers that be?

I'm considering a few different options for my pilot.

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#4446941 - 11/04/18 05:42 PM Re: Deep immersion DiD campaign [Re: Raine]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
I am totally happy to have headquarters (Raine) assign me as would happen in real life. In fact, I prefer it!!

#4446942 - 11/04/18 05:46 PM Re: Deep immersion DiD campaign [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

I prefer it as well, Scout. It will make it that much more interesting and historically apropos.

#4446944 - 11/04/18 06:12 PM Re: Deep immersion DiD campaign [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Originally Posted by RAF_Louvert

To the training in England, remember that OldHat put together an entire series of training flights based on a list I gave him of how it tended to be done back in the day. Also, for that series, I had modified Thetford and Catterick aerodromes to add the needed training targets, and both of those are already in Robert's Consolidated Aerodromes pack. Here are the links to OldHat's training programs:

Custom Mission Building Series

A Simplified Training Script

I have most of British and German training mission files, if anyone feels they know how to insert them into their campaign I can expand them to include friendly AI controlled flights so air does not look so empty.

#4446972 - 11/05/18 12:04 AM Re: Deep immersion DiD campaign [Re: Hasse]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Originally Posted by Hasse
Just for clarification: do we get to choose our starting unit, or is it decided by the powers that be?

I'm considering a few different options for my pilot.

Hasse,

It seems most would like the "Dungeon Master" to play War Office / HQ of the Feldflugchef and assign pilots to a historically appropriate place for training and to their first operational squadrons. I'm happy to take into consideration your preferences based on a story line if you're already thinking of the path you'd like to follow. Please PM me about this so that I can do the appropriate research.

I'll publish more detailed campaign rules in late November...

#4446974 - 11/05/18 12:27 AM Re: Deep immersion DiD campaign [Re: Raine]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Lou, MFair:

So far it appears that our three characters are meeting in Canada. You can plan their back story as you wish, but by the time they meet, on 10 July 1915, they should be newly enrolled as civilian candidates for RFC flight training at the Curtiss School in Long Branch, Ontario. Long Branch is a community, at that time a bit of a cottage community, just west of Toronto (it's long since been absorbed by that city). In May 1915, Curtis Aeroplanes and Motors Company of Toronto opened Canada's first airfield and flying school there to train pilots for the RFC and RNAS. They start flying there in mid July and graduate together in early October. After a two-week leave they depart by train for the coast. The route takes them on a three-day trip to Montreal and along the south side of the St Lawrence to Mont-Joli, then south through the Matapedia Valley to Campbelltown to Moncton, New Brunswick. There they change trains to Saint John, NB, where the troopship SS Scandinavian awaits.

Background info here:
Curtiss School, Long Branch

They'll train in November on Farmans (long and short-horned versions) at Castle Bromwich and gain their commissions as second lieutenants, and by December they go to their appointments at the War Office, where they are sent for the final phase of training. We'll pick up their story in December as they begin on BE2cs at Netheravon.

#4446975 - 11/05/18 12:41 AM Re: Deep immersion DiD campaign [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Raine,
Sounds good. As a heads up, I run no mods. If you and Lou go to a modded airfield, I will have to wing it or go to another school. Looking forward to this.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
#4446978 - 11/05/18 12:50 AM Re: Deep immersion DiD campaign [Re: MFair]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by MFair
Raine,
Sounds good. As a heads up, I run no mods. If you and Lou go to a modded airfield, I will have to wing it or go to another school. Looking forward to this.

MFAIR

I'm curious why you do not run modded airfields,
Would you be willing to explain?

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4446986 - 11/05/18 01:48 AM Re: Deep immersion DiD campaign [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Robert, not at all Sir. I am a computer dummy. If WOFF has a hiccup, it is one less thing I have to take into account. It may be simple to a lot of folks but we are all ignorant in different ways. One day I may take the plunge but not at the present time. When I do, someone will have to hold my hand through the process.

#4446989 - 11/05/18 03:24 AM Re: Deep immersion DiD campaign [Re: MFair]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by MFair
Robert, not at all Sir. I am a computer dummy. If WOFF has a hiccup, it is one less thing I have to take into account. It may be simple to a lot of folks but we are all ignorant in different ways. One day I may take the plunge but not at the present time. When I do, someone will have to hold my hand through the process.

Well, when you are ready, we can dialogue on it. I believe you will find it quite simple once you start.

Best Regards

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4447014 - 11/05/18 12:46 PM Re: Deep immersion DiD campaign [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Originally Posted by Raine
Lou, MFair:

So far it appears that our three characters are meeting in Canada. You can plan their back story as you wish, but by the time they meet, on 10 July 1915, they should be newly enrolled as civilian candidates for RFC flight training at the Curtiss School in Long Branch, Ontario. Long Branch is a community, at that time a bit of a cottage community, just west of Toronto (it's long since been absorbed by that city). In May 1915, Curtis Aeroplanes and Motors Company of Toronto opened Canada's first airfield and flying school there to train pilots for the RFC and RNAS. They start flying there in mid July and graduate together in early October. After a two-week leave they depart by train for the coast. The route takes them on a three-day trip to Montreal and along the south side of the St Lawrence to Mont-Joli, then south through the Matapedia Valley to Campbelltown to Moncton, New Brunswick. There they change trains to Saint John, NB, where the troopship SS Scandinavian awaits.

Background info here:
Curtiss School, Long Branch

They'll train in November on Farmans (long and short-horned versions) at Castle Bromwich and gain their commissions as second lieutenants, and by December they go to their appointments at the War Office, where they are sent for the final phase of training. We'll pick up their story in December as they begin on BE2cs at Netheravon.

Great minds, Raine! I had been looking at incorporating the Curtiss School at Long Branch into my pilot's backstory, to the point of already having downloaded the pdf file you referenced. biggrin

#4447215 - 11/06/18 02:23 PM Re: Deep immersion DiD campaign [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

So Raine, I went looking this morning because I thought your outline of our pilots' stops and travel route sounded familiar as did the name of the boat they will be crossing on. Am I correct in assuming you've referenced the Greenhous book, "A Rattle of Pebbles", as your inspiration? If so, good on you Sir. If not, an amazing coincidence. smile2

#4447223 - 11/06/18 03:25 PM Re: Deep immersion DiD campaign [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Great minds. I'm using that source, plus rereading the sections on pilot training in Briscoe's 1918 "Captain Ball VC,", "Sagittarius Rising", and several other books, plus a treatise on British pilot training -- trying to get back up to date. I reconfirmed the rail route (it's still the route for the CN Ocean express). The Scandinavian was the ship in Rattle of Pebbles, so I check sources on the Allen Line and figured it could have been the right vessel a bit earlier in 1915.

Last edited by Raine; 11/06/18 08:00 PM.
#4447241 - 11/06/18 04:49 PM Re: Deep immersion DiD campaign [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Raine, (I'm sure you are already aware of this), our lads will be at Netheravon at the same time Billy Bishop is there waiting for 21 Squadron to move to France. More excellent fodder for our stories.

#4447280 - 11/06/18 07:59 PM Re: Deep immersion DiD campaign [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Lou, good point. And I actually hadn't realized that yet. Watch out for falling RE7s, though. Actually, I just wanted to set a scene in the wonderful "Haunch of Venison" pub in Salisbury. Place dates from the 1300s and was a spot for RFC chaps on the spree. If memory serves, Sholto Douglas mentioned it in his memoirs.

#4447288 - 11/06/18 08:41 PM Re: Deep immersion DiD campaign [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

A wonderful old pub indeed Raine, and I spent several wonderful evenings enjoying its historic ambiance during the years I was stationed in England. May have to make mention of it myself in one of my stories. wink

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM